Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[FONT=Palatino,Times New Roman]I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout. -- Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Palatino,Times New Roman]I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout. -- Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal[/FONT]

You will not promote any faith, belief, or religion other than Christianity. For the purpose of these rules, Christianity is defined by Christian Forums' Statement of Faith.

Flaming, baiting, trolling, or feeding trolls is not allowed

Don't break the law, don't violate copyright, threaten others, or do or promote anything illegal.

http://christianforums.com/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_rule_0

Is it only ok for mods to break the rules now?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you feel I have violated the rules, then you should report my post.

Though, I hope you don't take my post seriously. I've never been to London, and I don't know what a cooked baby tastes like.
I've heard that it tastes like chicken, but with a nutty aftertaste. Yum! ^_^

Upvote 0

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
[FONT=Palatino,Times New Roman]I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout. -- Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
[/FONT]

Win. "A Modest Proposal" is such a great piece.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Though, I hope you don't take my post seriously. I've never been to London, and I don't know what a cooked baby tastes like.

I find cooked babies are vital for a healthy well balanced diet. You can't expect us to live off fish and chips everyday!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Disliking babies: Fine, a personal choice.

Stealing candy from babies and eating babies: Illegal, immoral, and bad.
From a dentist's perspective I'd say that candy for babies is bad, too - so perhaps stealing it from them wouldn't be immoral really. Still illegal, though.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ephesians 5:3
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as becometh saints;
preacher%20small.GIF

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And this somehow forces people to love babies?
No. As Christians we have free choice to either submit to Jesus or not. We can chose NOT to be filled with His Holy Spirit, thereby quenching Him by unbelief, which grieves Him.

But as we chose Him, He Lives through us, and Loves the little children. :kiss:

John 8:34
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Genesis 4:7
If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

2 Peter 2:9-22
The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you; Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children: Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ryanswife

Opinionated One
Jul 7, 2008
✟8,160.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you find yourself starting to harm babies then maybe you shouldn't be keeping your brother's child. What if you hurt the baby before you can stop yourself. I am not particularly fond of babies/children (except my own), but I do get outraged when I hear of a baby or a child being sexually abused, physically abused, tortured, murdered etc. They are the most innocent and trusting of all humans and I don't see how anyone could do such things. :(

Upvote 0

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Jade Tigress, there's nothing wrong with not having an instant affection for or interest in infants, but your reaction, which you say borders on violence at times, seems a bit excessive.

Your info says you are only twenty, and you mentioned being the youngest in your family, and having little close-up experience with babies until currently.

May I suggest that your severe reactions may partly be influenced by feelings of stress and anxiety. Looking after a helpless baby, and with little prior experience, is a big responsibility, and I know you understand that. When you can't even feel any connection with the infant, that makes it even more difficult to give the child the care it deserves and needs. I know intellectually, you are aware of the importance of not making mistakes or neglecting or even leaving the baby alone, but that knowledge likely just increases your feelings of anxiety and irritability. It's possible as well that you are over-responding to the signals that infants send, their scent, the cries and other sounds they make, which normally excite a protective response from adults, but which you may be over-stimulated by, thus making you uncomfortable.

It might help if you can use whatever means you normally do to calm yourself (meditate, sing, dance, do yoga, whatever) before your babysitting duties kick in.

I've never had an affinity for or attraction to infants myself. I worked for over twenty-five years with children over the age of two. I found that as soon as children begin learning language, they become, to me, delightful and interesting, and I become fiercely protective of them and wish to do all I can to keep them healthy and happy and learning.

And I have looked after infants, many times, and though I don't find myself getting maudlin over them, it doesn't bother me at all, partly because I know what to do and how to care for them properly (something else where your lack of experience may be causing you stress), and partly because I pay close attention to any infant I'm caring for in order to see those earliest attempts at communicating, which are amazing and important and exciting to recognize.

However, I never experienced the desire for children that other women do, and consequently never allowed myself to become pregnant. Not every woman wants or needs to be a mother. Nevertheless, it is (IMO) important to understand and be able to communicate with and care about children, and be at ease around them. I am a terrific auntie, according to my siblings kids, and I dearly love them, and that is a very satisfying non-mother position fro me.

Good luck, JT, and...er...chill out, try to relax with the kid a bit! The good thing is, the baby's not yours, you get to give it back! ;-)

Upvote 0

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the baby's not yours, you get to give it back! ;-)

Thats one of my fave parts of being an aunt. When he wants to play I will happily amuse him and as soon as he cries I can give him back to the parents. All the fun with none of a hassle. Great stuff!

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No. As Christians we have free choice to either submit to Jesus or not. We can chose NOT to be filled with His Holy Spirit, thereby quenching Him by unbelief, which grieves Him.

But as we chose Him, He Lives through us, and Loves the little children.
So, do all Christians love babies?

Upvote 0

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jade Tigress, there's nothing wrong with not having an instant affection for or interest in infants, but your reaction, which you say borders on violence at times, seems a bit excessive.

Your info says you are only twenty, and you mentioned being the youngest in your family, and having little close-up experience with babies until currently.

May I suggest that your severe reactions may partly be influenced by feelings of stress and anxiety. Looking after a helpless baby, and with little prior experience, is a big responsibility, and I know you understand that. When you can't even feel any connection with the infant, that makes it even more difficult to give the child the care it deserves and needs. I know intellectually, you are aware of the importance of not making mistakes or neglecting or even leaving the baby alone, but that knowledge likely just increases your feelings of anxiety and irritability. It's possible as well that you are over-responding to the signals that infants send, their scent, the cries and other sounds they make, which normally excite a protective response from adults, but which you may be over-stimulated by, thus making you uncomfortable.

It might help if you can use whatever means you normally do to calm yourself (meditate, sing, dance, do yoga, whatever) before your babysitting duties kick in.

I've never had an affinity for or attraction to infants myself. I worked for over twenty-five years with children over the age of two. I found that as soon as children begin learning language, they become, to me, delightful and interesting, and I become fiercely protective of them and wish to do all I can to keep them healthy and happy and learning.

And I have looked after infants, many times, and though I don't find myself getting maudlin over them, it doesn't bother me at all, partly because I know what to do and how to care for them properly (something else where your lack of experience may be causing you stress), and partly because I pay close attention to any infant I'm caring for in order to see those earliest attempts at communicating, which are amazing and important and exciting to recognize.

However, I never experienced the desire for children that other women do, and consequently never allowed myself to become pregnant. Not every woman wants or needs to be a mother. Nevertheless, it is (IMO) important to understand and be able to communicate with and care about children, and be at ease around them. I am a terrific auntie, according to my siblings kids, and I dearly love them, and that is a very satisfying non-mother position fro me.

Good luck, JT, and...er...chill out, try to relax with the kid a bit! The good thing is, the baby's not yours, you get to give it back! ;-)

Thanks for the post. I do get insanely stressed out, though I don't know if it's a cause or an effect. Or both. All I know is that I'm very happy to hand her back to her parents at the end of the day. :p But it's such an extreme reaction that I have, and I know it's not normal and it's not good, but I can't seem to get myself to not do it.

I think you're right, though, about the responsibility part. Because if I'm around the baby, but her parents are there too so I'm not taking care of her, I'll still get annoyed and stuff if she starts crying, but it's not near as bad. When it's actually me taking care of her, I get so much worse, and continue to go downhill as the day progresses. She's my niece; I'd never intentionally hurt her, and I havn't hurt her yet, but sometimes if she really starts screaming a lot I start getting into striking position before I've even realized it. Thus far I've always caught myself, but I'm a little worried that there might be one time that I don't before it's too late.

I've never tried de-stressing myself before I watch her. I hadn't thought of it. But I'm definitely going to try it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.