Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
aww... what's so frightening about kids?
children_of_the_corn_iii.gif

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Chucky scared me when I first saw Child's Play. I was about 11 though and should have really been watching! A useless bit of trivia, Child's Play actually got banned in my country after a couple of young boys kidnapped and brutally killed a young 4 year old after watching the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chucky never really scared me.

Gremlins did, though, when I was really little. :p

Other than that, movies have never scared me.

However, there was an episode of Dirty Jobs that I watched awhile back where he was deep in a cave and had to get on his stomach with his little headlight and squeeze himself into a tiny little spot, and he got stuck. I'm pretty claustrophobic, and since it was actually happening, and not being acted out, it was too much for me. I was actually hyperventilating while I watched it. :p

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Chucky scared me when I first saw Child's Play. I was about 11 though and should have really been watching! A useless bit of trivia, Child's Play actually got banned in my country after a couple of young boys kidnapped and brutally killed a young 4 year old after watching the film.

Yeah... Typical tabloid reactionary nonsense, of course. Like the film had anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah... Typical tabloid reactionary nonsense, of course. Like the film had anything to do with it.

Indeed, I think more kids saw it at my school as a result of the publicity and it getting banned than they would have if there had never been a storm about it.

Upvote 0

TooCurious

Kitten with a ball of string
Aug 10, 2003
✟10,481.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, Zeena, I just reread the OP, and it was about "liking" babies, not "loving" them. Your first post in the thread similarly mentioned "liking" babies:

[B said:
HannahBanana[/B]]
Of course it's not wrong to dislike babies. Not all people like/dislike the same things. If we did, then we'd be robots, and the world would be one heck of a boring place, lol.​

Does Jesus like babies? :angel:

So, given the difference between "like" and "love" which you have since elucidated, is it in fact all right for a Christian not to like babies?

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, Zeena, I just reread the OP, and it was about "liking" babies, not "loving" them. Your first post in the thread similarly mentioned "liking" babies:

So, given the difference between "like" and "love" which you have since elucidated, is it in fact all right for a Christian not to like babies?
No. :)

God does not annilhate our personalities, He works in and through them.

Upvote 0

TooCurious

Kitten with a ball of string
Aug 10, 2003
✟10,481.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm not understanding how you can reconcile the claims that (1) God does not annihilate a Christian's personality, and that (2) it is not all right for a Christian to have a particular personal preference, even if they still behave in the "loving" way that Christians are commanded to behave. Are there other things that Christians are forbidden from failing to enjoy?:confused:

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not understanding how you can reconcile the claims that (1) God does not annihilate a Christian's personality, and that (2) it is not all right for a Christian to have a particular personal preference, even if they still behave in the "loving" way that Christians are commanded to behave. Are there other things that Christians are forbidden from failing to enjoy?:confused:
Show me where I said that I said it is not right for a Christian to have a particular prefferance please?

Also, since WHEN does LOVE disclude affection?

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Show me where I said that I said it is not right for a Christian to have a particular prefferance please?

Also, since WHEN does LOVE disclude affection?
Well, you said it's not okay for Christians to not like babies. I think that would count as a preference.

Upvote 0

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think the 'like/not like' description of the reactions some of us have or don't have regarding babies is not a good way to explain those reactions.

I've seen perfectly sensible women turn into buckets of pink goo at the sight of a live baby. When they hold that baby, they are likely to say things like "I love the smell of babies' heads!", and to play with the infant's hands and feet, and to cuddle and nuzzle the baby's body. It's a common set of behaviours, and I think it's instinctive, at least to some extent.

I don't have the same response at all, but I don't view it as 'not liking' babies, as I'm perfectly willing to get to know any particular baby and quite enjoy watching them grow and learn things. I think I, and many other women, lack a strong instinct with regard to our reaction to infants. Babies' heads do smell a little peculiar to me, but it doesn't cause me to want to grab that baby and cuddle it.

Now, my mother, and her mother before her, definitely exhibited those positive reactions, but my father's mother did not. She was still a good mother, and a fine grandmother, in fact, she was more responsive to her grandchildren than the baby-loving grandmother. My own mother was very ill after she birthed my sister. I was eleven and cared fully for my infant sister for months, and was her primary caregiver for years. Despite not having the baby-head-sniffing gene, or whatever it is, I loved my infant sister fiercely after caring for her only a few weeks.

I don't think either behaviour is predictive of whether someone will be a good, loving mother. I suspect the ultra-positive reaction is instinctive behaviour relating strictly to women's immediate responses to presented infants, and those of us who have that instinct repressed or absent shouldn't feel strange or worried about it.

Reactions: SallyNow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.