Atheists go to hell even if they are good!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If a desire to "continue being your own God" is synonymous with a desire to remain self-autonomous in my decisions in life, then count me as guilty. I'd like to make my own decisions on my own terms, not at the demand of anyone else.

And thus the atheist who is to believe there is no god continues to fashion himself into his own god.

Whether you call it knowing God's order does not matter. You still hold contempt and open antipathy towards humanity and civilization itself. The fact that you think God comes before us just says it all.

What it says is that I love God FIRST and everyone else after Him.:)

Your God (and you, by extension) would have me sacrifice my own intellectual integrity for reasons of self-interest.

Neither God nor I would have you do anything that you don't want to do by choice. So if you CHOOSE to reject Him, and thereby CHOOSE to spend eternity in the Lake of Fire away from Him, it's YOUR CHOICE.

A valid question. If I don't love him, then why is it required that I receive eternal torture for it?

Because just as you go to court, and the judge gets to mete out your punishment for breaking the laws of the land, God is the ultimate judge and gets to mete out the punishment for breaking His laws.

Valid question: if you don't believe He exists, why ask a question about not loving Him?

Except this is circular. I 'choose' to reject a specific concept of God that supports eternal torture for thought-crime. For God on that to send me to the place that I reject him for is absurd.

You reject God altogether and not just that concept.

My argument is based on holding torture in open contempt. My argument is based on holding thought-crime in open contempt.

Your argument is based upon you rejecting God.

I await with baited breath an argument that justifies eternal torture for thought-crime. I haven't seen one yet.

And as one who rejects that God even exists, no one will be able to give you one. Which is ,as I have noted, a bit odd in that you have set humanity and yourself up as gods, yet you profess to not believe in a god's existence.

Whatever 'God' means in that context.

It means that you and your humanity are your god.

Precisely. That is why the claim that I view myself as my own God is absurd on its face.

Then it would be your absurdity cause everyone can clearly see that you have made you and humanity into your god.

I always find it fascinating when atheists say they don't believe in a god, but after you talk to them for a minute, you easily recognize that they do have their own god, even if they don't acknowledge it.

It's just ike atheists not recognizing that atheism is their own brand of religion.^_^

I don't find it confusing: for I know the only reason you're not a murderer, rapist, thief (etc).

Your comments say otherwise.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So if I don't find the truth - or what you think it is - that means I am not sincerely looking?

You need to find the truth as what GOD says it is. But if God has shown you His truth, but it just doesn't meet your approval of a convincing argument, then what?

You're looking for something to convince you. Yet God has shown you His truth which would convince you if you were sincerely seeking the truth.

So which do you want: the truth or a convincing argument?

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
@Zaac
"Valid question: if you don't believe He exists, why ask a question about not loving Him?"
He's trying to understand not more about God but about His followers and what kind of people they are.

I'll let him explain why he asked the question.:)

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Zaac said:
And thus the atheist who is to believe there is no god continues to fashion himself into his own god.
Which means far less than you think it does.

Neither God nor I would have you do anything that you don't want to do by choice. So if you CHOOSE to reject Him, and thereby CHOOSE to spend eternity in the Lake of Fire away from Him, it's YOUR CHOICE.
I've already refuted this nonsense claim repeatedly. You can't see it purely because you reject the application of reason and inquiry. I don't believe in God. I don't believe in the lake of fire. It is literally impossible to choose to go to a location that you do not believe exists.

Because just as you go to court, and the judge gets to mete out your punishment for breaking the laws of the land, God is the ultimate judge and gets to mete out the punishment for breaking His laws.
This is not an analogy you want to be making (though I can't help but notice some hypocrisy given your previous refusal to contrast human civilization with that of God).

A judge is bound by regulation and ideally a constitution of some sort. He cannot just put out any sentence he feels like nor can he have any authority arrest someone for any reason he feels like. We do not make excuses nor attempt to justify the behaviour of show trial judges in North Korea, Iran and many other fascist states nor do we say that their civil law is just. The same exists here. It is frankly laughable that you would even just and use legalism to defend quite literally the imposition of unending authority. Law is based on regulation and oversight whereas the God you believe in attempts to define it and declares himself as it. Your argument is literally a complete parody of legalism.

Valid question: if you don't believe He exists, why ask a question about not loving Him?
I'm happy to argue hypotheticals. Every time you make overtures about me avoiding the lake of fire you also ask me to embrace hypotheticals. A great shame and to your hypocrisy that you don't do hypotheticals yourself.

You reject God altogether and not just that concept.
I reject specific concepts of God as nonsensical or self-contradictory. I am ignostic and agnostic to a deistic rendition of God.

Your argument is based upon you rejecting God.
No it isn't. I've already answered this. My argument against your concept of God is against the evil that permeates from it. You believe in a God that sentences all non-believers of him to eternal torture for all of eternity. That is obscene. It is reprehensible and it is the reason that I am not masochistic or self-interested enough to heap adulation upon him.

And as one who rejects that God even exists, no one will be able to give you one.
That's an admission if there ever was one that there isn't one. If there isn't a valid moral argument as to why torture for thought-crime is both necessary and justifiable then my point here is effectively vindicated.

Which is ,as I have noted, a bit odd in that you have set humanity and yourself up as gods, yet you profess to not believe in a god's existence.
It isn't odd at all. I don't view myself or humanity as gods. That is your terminology. You're just describing my humanism as one and the same as elevating myself to Godhood. You are projecting your own claims onto me.

It means that you and your humanity are your god.
Which is circular.

Then it would be your absurdity cause everyone can clearly see that you have made you and humanity into your god.
I am still yet to find out what this sentence really means. Probably nothing but a projection of how you view atheists.

I always find it fascinating when atheists say they don't believe in a god, but after you talk to them for a minute, you easily recognize that they do have their own god, even if they don't acknowledge it.
Of course, given your rejection and refusal to understand effectively all scientific disciplines and all philosophical world-views I'd imagine you'd find any number of things fascinating.

You're one of many though (you're in good company) that makes it their primary argument to parade around their admitted ignorance like a badge of honour.

It's just ike atheists not recognizing that atheism is their own brand of religion.
Atheism is not a religion. It isn't a religion by definition.

Your comments say otherwise.
Again, I find your worldview disturbing, amoral and not confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
You need to find the truth as what GOD says it is. But if God has shown you His truth, but it just doesn't meet your approval of a convincing argument, then what?

You're looking for something to convince you. Yet God has shown you His truth which would convince you if you were sincerely seeking the truth.

Now now... don't go into playing semantic games. You know exactly what I am asking for.

What I request is a convincing argument that what I am presented with IS the truth.

And I have to ask again: if I am not convinced or find the truth... does that mean that I am not sincere?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Then the argument does not work, and whether or not it is true cannot be displayed efficiently. Your position here is entirely untenable. If someone does not believe something then they literally need to be convinced of it before they can believe that something. It is necessary to be convinced of something before you can say with sincerity that it is the truth.

The two are entirely synonymous regarding belief. No-one can believe anything without finding the claims convincing.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then the argument does not work, and whether or not it is true cannot be displayed efficiently. Your position here is entirely untenable. If someone does not believe something then they literally need to be convinced of it before they can believe that something. It is necessary to be convinced of something before you can say with sincerity that it is the truth.
The two are entirely synonymous regarding belief. No-one can believe anything without finding the claims convincing.
I just want to pause the conversation for a second and remark that I find it hilarious that Zaac said you had a hardened heart when YOU are the one that disapproves of torture.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Shouldn't the truth be a convincing argument?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist

No, not necessarily. "The truth" is just any old statement. What makes you accept it as "truth"... that is what is the convincing argument.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No, not necessarily. "The truth" is just any old statement. What makes you accept it as "truth"... that is what is the convincing argument.

Yes, but if a thing is true (i.e. reality) then the supporting evidence should be convincing.

Upvote 0

m9lc

Veteran
Mar 18, 2007
✟9,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This response is a little late, but I just couldn't leave this unanswered.

It was an analogy and it makes the point perfectly and effortlessly.

There's an english expression I'm thinking fits. Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining.

You are trying to express your atheist street cred.

Of course I do. It is of no concern to the "saved." What do you think they're saved from? Eternal ingrown toenails?

Hell was not the concept that had me accepting Christ. Reality was.

I pointed out flawed logic. Little kiddies are hardly in a condition to be theologians. And fifteen year old boys are hardly thinking about God every three-seconds. Eh-hem.

Your opinion duly noted.

In your opinion. In mine, music is supernatural. What ape man thought up the violin or Marshall stack. Even 21st century ape men.

Have you ever thought to add up all of the miracles in the bible as a time consumption game? Almost all of the time there were no miracles happening. But that is complex thinking I know. It's not as tasty as naturalisms knee-jerk reactions.

It's a good point. Why do you think wasting your time bashing Christians is a worthwhile endeavor. You are not here to be convinced to convert.

I'll make it as endlessly as you guys bring up amputees that have to live one-armed. Your clicheisms are legendary.

You guys invented the gotcha argument. I like to use it your way.

You deconverted from a child. That's supposed to be impressive? Not much street cred there. usually it's more typical though. I'll give you that.

Almost all of we Christians went the other path. We were non believers that figured out the reality of Christ. Many of us after the education process tried to cleanse our minds from healthy thought process.

Jesus talked about that. But you realize, that this is none of our fault right?

First of all, please cut it out with the generalizations. Just because I was 15 doesn't mean that I couldn't think. You're responding to my pointing out your useless clichés by saying that I use them too - yet you can seem to produce no response to my "clicheisms" whereas I have clearly told you why yours are wrong. On top of that, you're projecting your own childish and arrogant motivations for debate onto me, assuming that I'm debating just to bash you or make myself look smart.

Rather than reading my entire post, getting a cohesive idea of what I'm trying to communicate to you, and communicating back, it looks like you go through each individual sentence and write the first thought that comes into your head. It derails the discussion into a million pointless things and leads to stuff like you making a "haha boys think about sex a lot" joke in response to a piece of my story of how religion scared me as a kid and how that led to me becoming who I am today - and then you lose the whole point of the debate in your poor attempts at humor.

Let me explain something to you. I don't debate just to "bash Christians," or to impress you, or because I want to build street cred, or whatever it is you think that makes you act so disrespectful and immature. I debate because I'm curious as to how people think that I vehemently disagree with, and also, there's always the slightest possibility that I can change someone's mind (though it rarely happens). But I sure as hell don't debate so that I can listen to some smug Christian make wisecracks about teenage boys and generalizations about atheists. For me, the fact that you assume that I'm here just to bash Christians or to impress you (in conjunction with the style of your posts) holds some heavy implications about what your purposes for being here are.

So, I'm done talking about this subject with you because I think that I have accomplished my goal of debating; namely, to understand how you think and why you think the things you do. My conclusion: you don't think. You sit on your pedestal, content to be the "superior" one, and you look at each individual sentence and ignore the overarching argument in favor of looking at how you can poke fun at each one. I could go through all of your sentences and point out how they're not relevant or how they're invalid, and try to get the discussion back on the tracks that I started it on, but I'm fairly sure it would be pointless. (If you want to continue this discussion, you can try going back to my first post and starting over, this time actually addressing the general idea. I suspect you won't take the offer, though.)

So fine, keep making fun of me for being a "child." I will just point out the fact that you took my attempted exchange of ideas and turned half of it into mudslinging about "you atheists" and "kiddies."

O wise one, please teach me how to emulate such mature and Christ-like behavior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This response is a little late, but I just couldn't leave this unanswered.

First of all, please cut it out with the generalizations. Just because I was 15 doesn't mean that I couldn't think. You're responding to my pointing out your useless clichés by saying that I use them too - yet you can seem to produce no response to my "clicheisms" whereas I have clearly told you why yours are wrong. On top of that, you're projecting your own childish and arrogant motivations for debate onto me, assuming that I'm debating just to bash you or make myself look smart.

Rather than reading my entire post, getting a cohesive idea of what I'm trying to communicate to you, and communicating back, it looks like you go through each individual sentence and write the first thought that comes into your head. It derails the discussion into a million pointless things and leads to stuff like you making a "haha boys think about sex a lot" joke in response to a piece of my story of how religion scared me as a kid and how that led to me becoming who I am today - and then you lose the whole point of the debate in your poor attempts at humor.

Let me explain something to you. I don't debate just to "bash Christians," or to impress you, or because I want to build street cred, or whatever it is you think that makes you act so disrespectful and immature. I debate because I'm curious as to how people think that I vehemently disagree with, and also, there's always the slightest possibility that I can change someone's mind (though it rarely happens). But I sure as hell don't debate so that I can listen to some smug Christian make wisecracks about teenage boys and generalizations about atheists. For me, the fact that you assume that I'm here just to bash Christians or to impress you (in conjunction with the style of your posts) holds some heavy implications about what your purposes for being here are.

So, I'm done talking about this subject with you because I think that I have accomplished my goal of debating; namely, to understand how you think and why you think the things you do. My conclusion: you don't think. You sit on your pedestal, content to be the "superior" one, and you look at each individual sentence and ignore the overarching argument in favor of looking at how you can poke fun at each one. I could go through all of your sentences and point out how they're not relevant or how they're invalid, and try to get the discussion back on the tracks that I started it on, but I'm fairly sure it would be pointless.

So fine, keep making fun of me for being a "child." I will just point out the fact that you took my attempted exchange of ideas and turned it into mudslinging about "you atheists" and "kiddies."

O wise one, please teach me how to emulate such mature and Christ-like behavior.
Finally somebody other than me said it!
:thumbsup::clap::clap::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

m9lc

Veteran
Mar 18, 2007
✟9,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there is a difference in Jesus' mind.

I came to the Lord through logic. I don't think it's arrogant to say that with my amount of study, it's a certainty that I see things you don't. That doesn't mean that I can resolve all cognitive dissonance for you, just that we might be able to relate, and have some interesting discussion.

I will just believe your assertion that you came to faith through logic for now - but the fact is, I and millions of other people came to atheism through logic. If Christianity is true, then we are mistaken.

But there is a difference between making a mistake in logical judgment and maliciously rejecting the Gospel. The fact that you say that there is no difference in Jesus's mind doesn't make much sense to me, because there clearly is a difference between the two concepts. This is compounded by the fact that God purposely makes his existence dubious - "you shall not put God to the test" and whatnot. When God intentionally remains unseen, how does it make sense at all for him to be offended when we don't believe he exists?

My issue is that the implication by Christians is often that it's my sin or my selfishness or whatever that leads me to deliberately turn away from God. But in my case, at the time of my deconversion, it was blatantly not the case - I really wanted to be a Christian in every way, but it just didn't make sense to me.

I think you could find it archived. I agree it could be a healthy thing for you to do, and suspect there were good reasons for you to get away from ... whatever it is you got away from. My Faith, is on solid rock ;)

I looked through my post history, and there is no accessible archive to the posts I made. So... yeah, I guess I will just have to rely on my memory of my thoughts back then :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Not if you're supressing it.

18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth Romans 1:18

Upvote 0

m9lc

Veteran
Mar 18, 2007
✟9,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The truth is suppressed in here all the time. That's why folks given the truth continue to make excuses to not believe it.

You can keep referring to it as "truth," but why is it that this is the one truth you hold for which there are no convincing arguments?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Not if you're supressing it.

18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth Romans 1:18

The truth is suppressed in here all the time. That's why folks given the truth continue to make excuses to not believe it.

Hey Zaac.

I'm not purposefully "supressing" anything you guys say here. I just don't find it convincing. Belief isn't a switch you can willfully turn on and off. It has to jive with my brain before I can believe something. That's the crux.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can keep referring to it as "truth," but why is it that this is the one truth you hold for which there are no convincing arguments?

If you are suppressing the truth, hw do you suppose you're going to see convincing arguments for that truth?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.