Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They inspire unstable people to act who’d do the same without encouragement.

I remember an episode of Criminal Minds. It’s the lone one I’ve watched. A school bus filled with children was abducted and placed in a simulated video game. Except the danger and bullets were real.

My grandmother made a similar remark. She felt it should not have been aired due to the likelihood it would encourage the same. I believe most of our entertainment is inspired by real events with a few modifications.

Our sin has made us sick. We can’t get well on our own.

And we are sick with a large number of tributaries leading to the central stream.

And yes, finding violence entertaining is one of those tributaries.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
And we are sick with a large number of tributaries leading to the central stream.

And yes, finding violence entertaining is one of those tributaries.

Unfortunately, we’re part of the cesspool. I’ve been criticized for the things I refuse to see and engage in by other believers. I see where it leads and want no part of the fifth. The more I prune the lighter I become and the deeper His influence grows.

I’m afraid our worldliness has made us incapable of serving and ministering to others because we’re equally sick. There comes a time when you must decide where you stand. Claiming Him in name while living otherwise is pointless. You’re wasting your time.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
People can pay for it if they want but it would cost them a lot of money. I think people should have to go through basic training to be qualified to own a gun. I am not so sure anyone should own assault weapons. As their main function is to do a lot of damage to a lot of people.
It does not matter because a gun does NOTHING alone. the person either means harm or not. Why on EARTH would one need to go through basic training to own a gun?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
AFAIK, risk isn't much of a factor in drug pricing, at least at the level of a lower-tier street dealer. The faulty assumption that increased risk would increase prices, which would then drive away customers, is part of why the war on drugs hasn't worked.
At its most simple person A wants substance B, they want it bad enough to pay a sufficient sum to drive person B to fulfill their want in the face of the risk that is posed in doing so. The risk drives up the price as most people will not take on the risk without a good deal of renumeration. The risk vs reward tipping point where the transaction no longer takes place at all does not seem to exist or no country has gone far enough to find it yet.

Granted there are many other factors at play and not all involved are thinking or acting rationally but I do not feel it can be brushed off as a large factor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
At its most simple person A wants substance B, they want it bad enough to pay a sufficient sum to drive person B to fulfill their want in the face of the risk that is posed in doing so. The risk drives up the price as most people will not take on the risk without a good deal of renumeration. The risk vs reward tipping point where the transaction no longer takes place at all does not seem to exist or no country has gone far enough to find it yet.

Yeah, I understand the logic. The problem is that it often doesn't hold true in drug markets because the low-level dealers don't effectively factor risk into their pricing.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We could certainly move forward if we crafted laws that would enable us to put entire drug gangs in prison. A modified R.I.C.O would do the trick.

Chicago has mass killings nearly every weekend. And worse, there are multiple killers.

9 Killed, 39 Wounded In Weekend Shootings Across Chicago

Chicago weekend shootings leave 8 dead, 40 wounded

56 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, including four fatally
Thanks. Now we can feel better about only two mass shootings this week.

RICO has been used just as with other organized crime. But the Constitution doesn’t allow incarceration on the basis of tattoos and peer groups.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yup sometimes I wonder what would happen if they did not make a big deal out of mass shootings. Not in the sense that it is not a big deal, but in the sense that there is not coverage ( except for local coverage and of course telling the families of any victims ( whether that particular victim is killed or not).
“If it bleeds it leads”— old saying in the news business.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
From an NYT article:

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From an NYT article:

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”
Sad but true.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
From an NYT article:

The selfishness in the country will be its undoing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
At some point rational people start to realize we have a real problem on our hands.
93049064.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0