At least 3 children and 3 adults killed in Nashville private Christian elementary school shooting; shooter killed by police

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No offense, but draftees are not who I would want protecting my kids.
Well that was my point the only way we would have enough military resources for that to work at every school would probably be to bring back the draft which for a number of reasons would probably have issues even more so than if we had to bring it back for traditional reasons which would itself be likely to cause issues at this point.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Its not perfect, best do nothing instead, that is clearly more effective.
What if they did it like they do warrants and arrests again not perfect, but would almost certainly require less manpower.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'd suggest there needs to be a distinction made between "prescriptive" and "preventative"

With regards to "what would work", there are things that would work in terms of preventing if we were starting from scratch, but the same things wouldn't be effective as a curative measure once the cat is already out of the bag.
I can understand gun buy backs and bans are impractical.
For instance:
If we were starting from scratch right now (and nobody had any guns at all yet), things like universal background checks, licensing & registration, mental health screening would likely be very effective.

Once the proliferation of guns is already to the level its at in our country, the proposed measures that many democrats offer up (while well-intentioned) are tantamount to trying to buy a fire extinguisher after there's already an out of control blaze at your house...you would've needed to have it when it toaster in the kitchen first caught fire.
I'm confused by your characterization of democratic solutions though....

Preventing Gun Violence - Democrats

Democrats believe that we can reduce gun violence while respecting the rights of responsible gun owners. We believe we should expand and strengthen background checks for those who want to purchase a firearm – because it shouldn’t be easier to get a gun than a driver’s license. We believe we should ensure that guns don’t fall into the hands of terrorists (whether they be domestic or foreign), domestic abusers, other violent criminals, or those who have shown signs of danger toward themselves or others. And we believe we should treat gun violence as the deadly public health crisis it is.
And...
Joe Biden's Plan to End Gun Violence | Joe Biden for President

while there are are a few ateps hes taking that may fall in your category, i think on the whole there are good ideas here.

What would be a more telling argument is, who is voting down attempts to regulate guns and what are they actively doing to limit gun violence if they are adopting others' work?

Didn't florida just reject the need for concealed carry permits now?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What if they did it like they do warrants and arrests again not perfect, but would almost certainly require less manpower.
As you said, it’s not perfect, clearly we should stick to inaction until we have a perfect plan. It’s the American way.

It’s only dead kids, what’s all the fuss?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What a stupid fantasy to excuse our acceptance of children being shot in school.
why? If we say that the military is the soluation and you said that if we really wanted to we could make it happen and yet we only have somewhere between a 1'5th and 1/4 of people in that age range we could draft ( the only hope we would have of making something like that working that does not sound like an excuse to me that sounds like reality.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can understand gun buy backs and bans are impractical.

I'm confused by your characterization of democratic solutions though....

Preventing Gun Violence - Democrats

And...
Joe Biden's Plan to End Gun Violence | Joe Biden for President

while there are are a few ateps hes taking that may fall in your category, i think on the whole there are good ideas here.

What would be a more telling argument is, who is voting down attempts to regulate guns and what are they actively doing to limit gun violence if they are adopting others' work?

Didn't florida just reject the need for concealed carry permits now?

I do not know, but even if Florida did so have 25 other states; however there are still places including schools where carrying is not permitted.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As you said, it’s not perfect, clearly we should stick to inaction until we have a perfect plan. It’s the American way.

It’s only dead kids, what’s all the fuss?
It would require less manpower and therefore may be more likely to work at least in terms of resources. I have noticed that the saying hind sight's 20/20 have really proved true in these shootings where people have admitted later that they basically should have known something was up so there is no way of really knowing how many shootings would have been prevented if people would have spoken up ( probably one of the best ways t prevent shootings if people would do it.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because it’s a stupid wild fantasy made up to excuse our acceptance of mass shooting of children and our choice as a nation to not focus on making that not happen again.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because it’s a stupid wild fantasy made up to excuse our acceptance of mass shooting of children and our choice as a nation to not focus on making that not happen again.
but the fact is if you are suggesting the military as a soluation to the problem if there are not enough resources ( in this case manpower there are only so many ways that we could increase those resources quickly while still having a military for other affairs resources do not just come out of thin air and if you spread them too thin they are not effective many times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have not and am not suggesting that.
another user did and you said if we made it a priority we could make it happen, so I took that to mean that you were suggesting that if we wanted the military to be an option to protect all the schools we could provide the resources for that which based on the facts I mentioned above would very likely be completely false.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
another user did

Take it up with them rather than directing your wild fantasies to me.

and you said if we made it a priority we could make it happen,

We could.

so I took that to mean that you were suggesting that if we wanted the military to be an option to protect all the schools we could provide the resources for that which based on the facts I mentioned above would very likely be completely false.
You were mistaken.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
and honest question where do you suggest we get the manpower to do those envul
I'm sure we can figure something out. ~30% of the population would need to visit a doctor periodically. That doesn't seem like an insurmountable obstacle.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Take it up with them rather than directing your wild fantasies to me.

We could.

You were mistaken.
so now that I know I was mistaken we can quit talking about using the military as a soluation I was thinking that when you said we could make it happen you meant the military "option" which for a number of reasons is not really a viable option.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sure we can figure something out. ~30% of the population would need to visit a doctor periodically.
the question is what is that something. Now, it would be more reasonable manpower wise to have people undergo such an envaule upon purchasing or receiving his/her first firearm.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You do not know His Word. We are to judge righteously, I.e. not hypocritically. And true followers are to judge all things, because we have the mind of Christ.
I am grateful to serve an all merciful and all just God.
Please, focus your sympathy on the real victims and stop with the virtue signaling. Hale made her choices and no amount of sympathy will change her fate now.

So you're going to double down. I guess we all have to learn in our own way. Here's something to think about: we are responsible for each other, especially given 1) that we have a voice and a vote, and 2) that Hale grew up as part of the body of Christ, a body of which you presumably consider yourself a part. Hale's act is not isolated. What Hale did was horrendous, but that individual is part of a whole. This society, and the individuals that constitute it, have a responsibility for every act of gun violence that occurs here because we enable them both through what we do and what we don't do. Christians who confess Christ but support violence and violent means through action and inaction are culpable. God sees all this. You cannot declare Hale's eternal condemnation without involving yourself in her fate. Hale is a part of you in more ways than one.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
so now that I know I was mistaken we can quit talking about using the military as a soluation I was thinking that when you said we could make it happen you meant the military "option" which for a number of reasons is not really a viable option.
No options are viable. We’re going to wring our hands for a few days, maybe a week, then move on because this is an acceptable loss.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So you're going to double down. I guess we all have to learn in our own way. Here's something to think about: we are responsible for each other, especially given 1) that we have a voice and a vote, and 2) that Hale grew up as part of the body of Christ, a body of which you presumably consider yourself a part. Hale's act is not isolated. What Hale did was horrendous, but that individual is part of a whole. This society, and the individuals that constitute it, have a responsibility for every act of gun violence that occurs here because we enable them both through what we do and what we don't do. Christians who confess Christ but support violence and violent means through action and inaction are culpable. God sees all this. You cannot declare Hale's eternal condemnation without involving yourself in her fate. Hale is a part of you in more ways than one.
Actually, we are not accountable for other people's actions even if you said we decide what the laws are the only person that are accountable for their choices to act a particular way is the person who committed the action. Driving drunk is illegal, yet we do not say that everyone is accountable when a particular person breaks that law. We can have whatever laws on the books we want at the end of the day it is up to each person to follow them or not you cannot blame others for your poor choices.

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No options are viable. We’re going to wring our hands for a few days, maybe a week, then move on because this is an acceptable loss.
that is actually one thing I think would help in some of these mass shootings if the media would quit harping on them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.