Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Christians are assured of the truth of Jesus' promises and are certain that those to whom these promises apply are indeed saved and will remain saved by the grace and power of God who makes the promise to them. No one can doubt this. It is objectively true. Catholics teach it and Protestants too.

But, is assurance a personal thing, can one be personally assured that one is one of those to whom the promises are made or is there room for doubt and can one's conduct bring doubts to mind?

How is one to deal with these doubts?

What is the path laid out by the apostles?

Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Examine yourselves. Or do you yourselves not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless you fail the test.
(2 Corinthians 13:5 HCSB)

the verse is in a wider context, so, here is a more full quote to help set the context.
This is the third time I am coming to you. Every fact must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. I gave a warning when I was present the second time, and now I give a warning while I am absent to those who sinned before and to all the rest: If I come again, I will not be lenient, since you seek proof of Christ speaking in me. He is not weak toward you, but powerful among you. In fact, He was crucified in weakness, but He lives by God's power. For we also are weak in Him, yet toward you we will live with Him by God's power. Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Examine yourselves. Or do you yourselves not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless you fail the test. And I hope you will recognize that we do not fail the test. Now we pray to God that you do nothing wrong--not that we may appear to pass the test, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear to fail. For we are not able to do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. In fact, we rejoice when we are weak and you are strong. We also pray that you become fully mature. This is why I am writing these things while absent, that when I am there I will not use severity, in keeping with the authority the Lord gave me for building up and not for tearing down.
(2 Corinthians 13:1-10 HCSB)

Last edited:

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
This being in the faith that Paul is addressing in 2nd Corinthians, is not a test yourself to see if you are a born again child of God. But to test yourself to see if you are in fellowship in the body of Christ, a mature believer or growing toward being a mature believer.

Some of the Corinthian believers held false beliefs. Like the ones Paul addresses in 1st Corinthians 15, who were saying that people will not be resurrected.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In regards assurance itself, it says, God has given assurance unto all in Christ in that he raised him from the dead

Showing the context here

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold,
or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained;
whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

This speaks of full assurance of understanding in Christ

Col 2:22 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding,
to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ
;

Col 2:23 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Their gospel come not in word only, but power, the Holy Ghost and in much assurance

1 Thes 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know
what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

They say we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, the full assurance is in ones faith in Christ.

Hebrews 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

Hebrews 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Hebrews 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience,
and our bodies washed with pure water.

And in respects to themselves he writes

2 Cr 4:4 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

Edited last verse in

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a point to which we may be assured, and doubting is itself sinful, and there is a point to which we must remain uncertain and assurance is sinful. If our doubt springs from a self-centered and egoistic insecurity, then it is sinful. If our doubt springs from the recognition that nothing obligates God to save us except His own grace, it is virtuous. In one, we question Christ and His ability to save, in the other we question ourselves. We should never be so assured that we sin without second thought, but neither should we be so self-critical that we think ourselves beyond the scope of Christ's salvific work.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christians are assured of the truth of Jesus' promises and are certain that those to whom these promises apply are indeed saved and will remain saved by the grace and power of God who makes the promise to them. No one can doubt this. It is objectively true. Catholics teach it and Protestants too.

But, is assurance a personal ting, can one be personally assured that one is one of those to whom the promises are made or is there room for doubt and can one's conduct bring doubts to mind?
promises are made to all -

John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name,
Matt 11: 28 “Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is comfortable, and My burden is light.”
2 Pet 3 "God is not willing for ANY to perish but for ALL to come to repentance"
1 John 2 : 2 "He is the Atoning sacrifice for OUR sins and NOT for our sins only - but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD"

The only reason that it is only the FEW of Matt 7 that are saved - is not because God does not promise to or care for anyone else - it is because the "many" of Matt 7 CHOOSE against the Gospel. They choose to refuse Christ

Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Examine yourselves. Or do you yourselves not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless you fail the test.
True - there is the 2 Cor 13:5 test similar to Rom 8:13-16

13 for if you are living in accord with the flesh, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons and daughters of God. 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons and daughters by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Gal 6:
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a person sows, this he will also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will reap destruction from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9 Let’s not become discouraged in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not become weary.
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a person sows, this he will also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will reap destruction from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9 Let’s not become discouraged in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not become weary.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

But, is assurance a personal thing, can one be personally assured that one is one of those to whom the promises are made or is there room for doubt and can one's conduct bring doubts to mind?

Assurance is of the Holy Spirit. If one grieves the Holy Spirit with sin, he may withdraw his sense of assurance.
That is when it is time to examine one's life and conscience.
It is a warning to make one's salvation sure.

the verse is in a wider context, so, here is a more full quote to help set the context.
This is the third time I am coming to you. Every fact must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. I gave a warning when I was present the second time, and now I give a warning while I am absent to those who sinned before and to all the rest: If I come again, I will not be lenient, since you seek proof of Christ speaking in me. He is not weak toward you, but powerful among you. In fact, He was crucified in weakness, but He lives by God's power. For we also are weak in Him, yet toward you we will live with Him by God's power. Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Examine yourselves. Or do you yourselves not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless you fail the test. And I hope you will recognize that we do not fail the test. Now we pray to God that you do nothing wrong--not that we may appear to pass the test, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear to fail. For we are not able to do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. In fact, we rejoice when we are weak and you are strong. We also pray that you become fully mature. This is why I am writing these things while absent, that when I am there I will not use severity, in keeping with the authority the Lord gave me for building up and not for tearing down.
(2 Corinthians 13:1-10 HCSB)

• Winner
Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

Deal with the doubts with the plain teaching of Scripture (preach the Gospel to you self)

Augustine (354-430): Of such says the apostle, “We know that to those that love God He worketh together all things for good, to them who are called according to His purpose; because those whom He before foreknew, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren. Moreover, whom He did predestinate, them He also called; and whom He called, them He also justified; and whom He justified, them He also glorified.” Of these no one perishes, because all are elected. And they are elected because they were called according to the purpose — the purpose, however, not their own, but God’s; of which He elsewhere says, “That the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of Him that calleth, it was said unto her that the elder shall serve the younger.” And in another place he says, “Not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace.” When, therefore, we hear,” Moreover, whom He did predestinate, them He also called,” we ought to acknowledge that they were called according to His purpose; since He thence began, saying, “He worketh together all things for good to those who are called according to His purpose,” and then added, “Because those whom He before foreknew, He also did predestinate, to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren And to these promises He added, “Moreover, whom, He did predestinate, them He also called.” He wishes these, therefore, to be understood whom He called according to His purpose, lest any among them should be thought to be called and not elected, on account of that sentence of the Lord’s: “Many the called but few are elected.” For whoever are elected are without doubt also called; but not whosoever are called are as a consequence elected. Those, then, are elected, as has often been said, who are called according to the purpose, who also are predestinated and foreknown. If any one of these perishes, God is mistaken; but none of them perishes, because God is not mistaken. If any one of these perish, God is overcome by human sin; but none of them perishes, because God is overcome by nothing. Moreover, they are elected to reign with Christ, not as Judas was elected, to a work for which he was fitted. Because he was chosen by Him who well knew how to make use even of wicked men, so that even by his damnable deed that venerable work, for the sake of which He Himself had come, might be accomplished. When, therefore, we hear, “Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?” we ought to understand that the rest were elected by mercy, but he by judgment; those to obtain His kingdom, he to shed His blood! NPNF1: Vol. V, A Treatise on Rebuke and Grace, Chapter 14, None of the Elect and Predestinated Can Perish.

I never ever let my struggle to understand my own sanctification impact the reality of my justification.
I know in the teaching your denomination that is nearly impossible, you have no peace.

As to the passage ion the OP

Ambrosiaster

Paul is saying this because if we do not know how to put one another to the test, we do not know whether Christ is in us or not. To fail to meet the test is not to know the faith inherent in our religious profession. A person who has a sense of faith in his heart knows that Jesus Christ is within him.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good day,

Deal with the doubts with the plain teaching of Scripture (preach the Gospel to you self)

Augustine (354-430): Of such says the apostle, “We know that to those that love God He worketh together all things for good, to them who are called according to His purpose; because those whom He before foreknew, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren. Moreover, whom He did predestinate, them He also called; and whom He called, them He also justified; and whom He justified, them He also glorified.” Of these no one perishes, because all are elected. And they are elected because they were called according to the purpose — the purpose, however, not their own, but God’s; of which He elsewhere says, “That the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of Him that calleth, it was said unto her that the elder shall serve the younger.” And in another place he says, “Not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace.” When, therefore, we hear,” Moreover, whom He did predestinate, them He also called,” we ought to acknowledge that they were called according to His purpose; since He thence began, saying, “He worketh together all things for good to those who are called according to His purpose,” and then added, “Because those whom He before foreknew, He also did predestinate, to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren And to these promises He added, “Moreover, whom, He did predestinate, them He also called.” He wishes these, therefore, to be understood whom He called according to His purpose, lest any among them should be thought to be called and not elected, on account of that sentence of the Lord’s: “Many the called but few are elected.” For whoever are elected are without doubt also called; but not whosoever are called are as a consequence elected. Those, then, are elected, as has often been said, who are called according to the purpose, who also are predestinated and foreknown. If any one of these perishes, God is mistaken; but none of them perishes, because God is not mistaken. If any one of these perish, God is overcome by human sin; but none of them perishes, because God is overcome by nothing. Moreover, they are elected to reign with Christ, not as Judas was elected, to a work for which he was fitted. Because he was chosen by Him who well knew how to make use even of wicked men, so that even by his damnable deed that venerable work, for the sake of which He Himself had come, might be accomplished. When, therefore, we hear, “Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?” we ought to understand that the rest were elected by mercy, but he by judgment; those to obtain His kingdom, he to shed His blood! NPNF1: Vol. V, A Treatise on Rebuke and Grace, Chapter 14, None of the Elect and Predestinated Can Perish.

I never ever let my struggle to understand my own sanctification impact the reality of my justification.
I know in the teaching your denomination that is nearly impossible, you have no peace.

As to the passage ion the OP

Ambrosiaster

Paul is saying this because if we do not know how to put one another to the test, we do not know whether Christ is in us or not. To fail to meet the test is not to know the faith inherent in our religious profession. A person who has a sense of faith in his heart knows that Jesus Christ is within him.

In Him,

Bill
Saint Augustine proposes a very Catholic and hence very biblical way to deal with the assaults of doubt.

But you have taken his Catholic teaching and lost its sense so you wrote "I never ever let my struggle to understand my own sanctification impact the reality of my justification. I know in the teaching your denomination that is nearly impossible, you have no peace." even after you've quoted Catholic teaching with what appears to be approval.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saint Augustine proposes a very Catholic and hence very biblical way to deal with the assaults of doubt.

But you have taken his Catholic teaching and lost its sense so you wrote "I never ever let my struggle to understand my own sanctification impact the reality of my justification. I know in the teaching your denomination that is nearly impossible, you have no peace." even after you've quoted Catholic teaching with what appears to be approval.

Good day,

Rom 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The beauty of Justification though Faith alone.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good day,

Rom 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The beauty of Justification though Faith alone.
Except Romans 5:1 does not teach justification by faith alone.
The apostle proceeds in this chapter to shew how great a benefit it is to be truly justified by the coming of Christ.
Let us have peace with God. That is, says St. John Chrysostom, by laying aside all contentions. Or let us have peace with God by sinning no more. And this peace we may have under the greatest tribulations, which conduce to our greater good, to an increase in virtues, in patience, in hope, in the love of God, &c. (Witham)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except Romans 5:1 does not teach justification by faith alone.
The apostle proceeds in this chapter to shew how great a benefit it is to be truly justified by the coming of Christ.
Let us have peace with God. That is, says St. John Chrysostom, by laying aside all contentions. Or let us have peace with God by sinning no more. And this peace we may have under the greatest tribulations, which conduce to our greater good, to an increase in virtues, in patience, in hope, in the love of God, &c. (Witham)
Good day,

Certainly a novel understanding of the Greek text, seeing no translation (of the 8 I checked) has " let us have peace with God".

Found a note that Chrysostom may be using a "common Greek" text.

You may find a more "wooden translation helpful:

YLT- Rom 5:1 Having been declared righteous, then, by faith, we have peace toward God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Chrysostom:

John Chrysostom : "They said that he who kept not the Law was cursed, but he proves that he who kept it was cursed, and he who kept it not, blessed. Again, they said that he who adhered to Faith alone was cursed, but he shows that he who adhered to Faith alone is blessed." (Commentary on Galatians, 3).

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Certainly a novel understanding of the Greek text, seeing no translation (of the 8 I checked) has " let us have peace with God".
Being justified therefore by faith, let us have peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Romans 5:1 DRB

Being therefore justified by faith, let us have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;
Romans 5:1 RV

Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being justified therefore by faith, let us have peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Romans 5:1 DRB

Being therefore justified by faith, let us have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;
Romans 5:1 RV
Thanks...

Reviewing Joseph A. Fitzmyer work on Romans he notes the manuscripts which is helpful.

Snip ... "
When human beings enjoy a correct relationship with God, their condition may be one of inner calm and quiet composure, of undisturbed conscience, but the essential thing is the experience of God-given salvation and the hope of glory. Those who are now at peace with God are no longer objects of wrath; for them Christ has removed all wrath. Reconciliation has been provided by God. See 5: 10.

The better Creek M SS (X0, A, 8°, C, D, K, L, 33, 81, 1 1 75) read echomen,
the pres. subjunct. , "let us have peace with God," as Kuss, Lagrange, and Sanday
and Headlam prefer to read the text. That would introduce a paraenetic nuance,
and it has been so understood by patristic writers and others, making it the
equivalent of phylassein eirenen, "keep peace" (with God), i.e. , "let us now give
evidence of this justification by a life of peace with God." But N-A26 and most
modern commentators prefer the reading echomen, the pres. indic., "we have
peace" (as in MSS X1, 82, F, C, P, 'I', 0220), regarding the confusion of o with o
as auditory on the part of the copyist. Thus Paul's utterance is a statement of fact
expressing an effect of justification, which suits the context better than the
hortatory subjunctive. Here Paul is not exhorting human beings to manifest
toward God a peaceful attitude, but is instead stating the de facto situation in
which they find themselves, one of peace and reconciliation issuing from his
grace and mercy and guaranteeing the hope of salvation, for they are no longer
under wrath. See Crabtree, "Translation."
through our Lord fesus Christ. Thus Paul expresses the mediation of Christ
the reconciler and mediator in the Father's plan of salvation."...

No wrath ever just Shalom peace with God guaranteed

In Him

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Christians are assured of the truth of Jesus' promises and are certain that those to whom these promises apply
I should have been more careful in the wording I used, I meant, but did not write,
Christians are assured of the truth of Jesus' promises and are certain that those to whom these promises are applied [by the grace of God] ...

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
But to test yourself to see if you are in fellowship in the body of Christ,
Are we living to please God or to please self? God gives us gifts, talents and abilities at or before conception. We need to do all we can to use what we have to bring praise, honor and glory to God. We need to be Holy, Sanctified and set apart from the world to enter into His presence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are we living to please God or to please self? God gives us gifts, talents and abilities at or before conception. We need to do all we can to use what we have to bring praise, honor and glory to God. We need to be Holy, Sanctified and set apart from the world to enter into His presence.

The people Jesus interacted with on earth were not, they were in the presence of God. To enter into the presence of God after a person physical death. They must be righteous and the only way to become righteous is to believe in Jesus.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The people Jesus interacted with on earth were not, they were in the presence of God. To enter into the presence of God after a person physical death. They must be righteous and the only way to become righteous is to believe in Jesus.
Perhaps that is why there were many resurrected when Jesus died and the vail was torn. I take notice when we see the word "many".

Matthew 27
51 At that moment the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. 53 After Jesus’ resurrection, when they had come out of the tombs, they entered the holy city and appeared to many people

Upvote 0