Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No physicist can answer that! :p

TerrenceL said:
The only time I've injured myself and not felt the pain was when I drove a ice pick into my hand while trying to put holes in a bottle lid that I was going to put bees into.
Why were you putting bees into bottles? :confused:

Upvote 0

canehdianhotstuff

I pour water into acid, I'm crazy like that.
Dec 29, 2003
Pembroke, ON
✟12,820.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
The only time I've injured myself and not felt the pain was when I drove a ice pick into my hand while trying to put holes in a bottle lid that I was going to put bees into.

I'm pretty sure I was in shock.

I have a question: Why when you magnify the light of the sun it causes things to burn, but when you magnify the light of a lamp or something like that it doesn't?

It would have to be the difference in EM waves coming off the sun compared to that of a regular light. The sun puts out much higher (shorter) wavelengths of energy than a light bulb that for the most part only puts out visible white light. The higher energy concentrated to a single focal point eventually meets the activation energy to cause fire.

Either that or simply a higher concentration of photons in the visible light region carrying the intense heat they do. Concentrate it all with a magnifying glass...fire. Maybe a combination of both.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I'm pretty sure I was in shock.

I have a question: Why when you magnify the light of the sun it causes things to burn, but when you magnify the light of a lamp or something like that it doesn't?
The Sun is a bit hotter than a lamp :). You can focus the Sun's rays to burn a hole through steel, but the lamp simply doesn't have enough wattage to do that.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why don't Weebles fall over?
They're weighted, so their centre of gravity is very low, and they're rounded, so they can roll to any orientation.

Technically, they do fall over. They just right themselves again. Interestingly, there's a particular object which is self-righting, but doesn't actually rely on being weighted. It's of uniform density, and it's the shape that rights it:

gomboc1.jpg

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It would have to be the difference in EM waves coming off the sun compared to that of a regular light. The sun puts out much higher (shorter) wavelengths of energy than a light bulb that for the most part only puts out visible white light. The higher energy concentrated to a single focal point eventually meets the activation energy to cause fire.

Either that or simply a higher concentration of photons in the visible light region carrying the intense heat they do. Concentrate it all with a magnifying glass...fire. Maybe a combination of both.
I don't think it's the higher wavelength of the photons, since the shortest wavelength produced in any significant number is really just ultraviolet.

Solar_Spectrum.png

Yellow is the Sun's spectrum as seen in space, red is as seen on Earth (as you can see, the atmosphere absorbs certain chunks of it), and the grey line is the black-body spectrum (basically, an ideal object that emits light solely as a result of it's temperature, which is a good approximation of the Sun's emitted spectrum).

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it's YOUR job to back it up. If YOU fail to back it up nobody is going to take YOU seriously.
I have seen others brought very good back up to you to support their claims and all you did was to reject their back up like a thirsty horse who refuse to drink good water.
Go get an education, pal, then come back here.
Your arrogant tone is sickening.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have seen others brought very good back up to you to support their claims and all you did was to reject their back up like a thirsty horse who refuse to drink good water.

Who said that the backup would be approved after it is provided? Not providing anything of substance in one's argument to begin with is a basic error.

Your arrogant tone is sickening.

This coming from someone who still hasn't grasped the distinction between what science and religion is several hundred posts later and is so arrogant he will quote his own mistake in his signature :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[/color][/color]This coming from someone who still hasn't grasped the distinction between what science and religion is several hundred posts later and is so arrogant he will quote his own mistake in his signature :thumbsup:
You hate my signature, don't you? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You hate my signature, don't you? :)

You're not exactly the most amazing philosopher to grace this planet, nor are you the first to come up with that statement.

While it is fractally wrong, I do like your sig for the massive irony fail it lands you in, like in your last post. :wave:

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Are you [guys] "British" or "English"?
To someone from the Home Nations, I'm 'English'. To everyone else, I'm 'British'. Foreigners generally can't tell the difference between the two, so it doesn't really matter.

But someone once thought I was Welsh just because I live in Bristol (near the England-Wales border)... :mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you like chicken tikka masala?

Not nearly spicy enough.

P.S. Have you ever had scurvy?

Is this some limeys inference....? :p I suspect our teeth are bad all by themselves, not due to any particular vitamin deficiency ^_^

*And to those who may be wondering why I'm answering the Brit questions while sporting an Irish flag, I'm half and half ;)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To someone from the Home Nations, I'm 'English'. To everyone else, I'm 'British'. Foreigners generally can't tell the difference between the two, so it doesn't really matter.
Is it politically correct to also consider someone from N Ireland as "British" or "English"?

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is it politically correct to also consider someone from N Ireland as "British" or "English"?

I would strongly not recommend it. "Northern Irish" will suffice.

In general, I'd stay away from the topic altogether ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.