Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
To someone from the Home Nations, I'm 'English'. To everyone else, I'm 'British'. Foreigners generally can't tell the difference between the two, so it doesn't really matter.

But someone once thought I was Welsh just because I live in Bristol (near the England-Wales border)... :mad::mad::mad:

haha sorry i don't know the difference :sorry: (that smilie always makes me laugh) :sorry: :hug:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would strongly not recommend it. "Northern Irish" will suffice.

In general, I'd stay away from the topic altogether ;)
Do I detect a bit of independence here?

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do I detect a bit of independence here?

In what way? It's just a pretty thorny topic at times up north, even now. Northern Irish at least refers to what the place is called, so it's the safest bet. Calling it Ireland or Britain is likely to drag you into a short politics discussion best case scenario and getting shot worst case scenario.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Calling it Ireland or Britain is likely to drag you into a short politics discussion best case scenario and getting shot worst case scenario.
???

What should I call it then? And how should I refer to its denizens?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It involves lots of angular momentum and chaotic dynamics usually under the influence of a chemical potential

my imagination has failed me....i am angular momentum, chaotic dynamics, and chemical potential deficient :sorry:

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
???

Northern Ireland for the country.

Northern Irish for the residents. Out of British or Irish, calling them Irish would be safer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you like chicken tikka masala?

P.S. Have you ever had scurvy?
Nope. We're called limeys for a reason :p.

what makes yer heart dance fer joy?
The new Sims 3 expansion pack that I just got. :clap:

Is it politically correct to also consider someone from N Ireland as "British" or "English"?
British is fine, but never English. Most will be fine with it, especially if an American does it. But if an Englishman called an Irishman 'English', there'd be trouble. Oh crikey yes.

???

'Britain' and 'British' are for the Home Countries: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. 'English' is passable for people from any of those places, but only just, and probably only by foreigners.

haha sorry i don't know the difference :sorry: (that smilie always makes me laugh) :sorry: :hug:
The British Isles is the general assortment of islands in that general area type place.
Great Britain refers to the biggest island. It's split into three countries: Scotland to the North, Wales to the West, and England.
Ireland is split into two countries: Northern Ireland to the North, and the rest is the Republic of Ireland.

Now, the UK incorporates Scotland, Wales, England, and Northern Ireland (and an assortment of other smaller places and islands), so it's full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Phew.

Wikipedia has a sexy diagram that sums it up:

537px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram.svg.png

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Nope. We're called limeys for a reason :p.

The new Sims 3 expansion pack that I just got. :clap:

British is fine, but never English. Most will be fine with it, especially if an American does it. But if an Englishman called an Irishman 'English', there'd be trouble. Oh crikey yes.

'Britain' and 'British' are for the Home Countries: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. 'English' is passable for people from any of those places, but only just, and probably only by foreigners.

The British Isles is the general assortment of islands in that general area type place.
Great Britain refers to the biggest island. It's split into three countries: Scotland to the North, Wales to the West, and England.
Ireland is split into two countries: Northern Ireland to the North, and the rest is the Republic of Ireland.

Now, the UK incorporates Scotland, Wales, England, and Northern Ireland (and an assortment of other smaller places and islands), so it's full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Phew.

Wikipedia has a sexy diagram that sums it up:

537px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram.svg.png

Thank you for generously and patiently break it down.....i was ignorant of the differences. :)

Upvote 0

JusSumguy

Aug 15, 2009
Surf City
✟627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, you come to a science board, spew a bunch of easily refuted crap and then try to twist the burden of evidence? Nice.

You just love riding that bomb, don't you? :D

Again.... I merely quoted three stories I had read. You spewed the crap. Go back and read it. :)

YOU made the argument. It's YOUR words. Especially since you have still failed to evidence your claim.
I made no claim. Because you accuse me of making one, doesn't burden me with having to accept that.

I MADE NO CLAIM.

In fact... If you go back and actually READ what was written, I presented a paradox.

The first two questions were based on news articles which intimate that GW has stopped, and that man may have no influence on it after all.

The second question is based on a story that suggests that we would be in an ice age right now if not for mans effect on global temperature.

This to me is a quandary. Which is it? Did we warm it, or not? I have no idea where you got the rest from. :)

Then you DECIDED THAT I SAID SOMETHING ELSE AND PROCEED TO MAKE AN %$#* OF YOURSELF IN FRONT OF ALL THESE PEOPLE.

Jebus, it's like talking to a wall. YOU made the assertion, then it's YOUR job to back it up. If YOU fail to back it up nobody is going to take YOU seriously. Go get an education, pal, then come back here.

You made assertions. Stop lying.
Nope, I sure didn't....... Here, this might help. ;)

LTR.jpg

I didn't know this was a competition.
Passive aggression, is still aggression.

I dunno....... maybe an anger management class. :)

-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

canehdianhotstuff

I pour water into acid, I'm crazy like that.
Dec 29, 2003
Pembroke, ON
✟12,820.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't think it's the higher wavelength of the photons, since the shortest wavelength produced in any significant number is really just ultraviolet.

Solar_Spectrum.png

Yellow is the Sun's spectrum as seen in space, red is as seen on Earth (as you can see, the atmosphere absorbs certain chunks of it), and the grey line is the black-body spectrum (basically, an ideal object that emits light solely as a result of it's temperature, which is a good approximation of the Sun's emitted spectrum).

Ya, I figured that after I went to bed that it had to be the simple heat of the sun meeting the energy requirements for burning. As far as I know the eye works the same way and that why you shouldnt look at a solar eclipse. The lens of your eyes focuses the energy burning your retinas.

I also remembered the Spain solar energy project that has a bunch of mirrors that focus the sun's rays all to one spot and it reaches a temperature in excess of 1000C. Pretty darn hot.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ya, I figured that after I went to bed that it had to be the simple heat of the sun meeting the energy requirements for burning. As far as I know the eye works the same way and that why you shouldnt look at a solar eclipse. The lens of your eyes focuses the energy burning your retinas.

I also remembered the Spain solar energy project that has a bunch of mirrors that focus the sun's rays all to one spot and it reaches a temperature in excess of 1000C. Pretty darn hot.

Wow! i didn't know that. :cool:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this correct?

The chances of rolling a Yahtzee are 1-in-120.

The chances of rolling a [predetermined] Yahtzee are 1-in-720.

If I just throw the dice and six 1s come up, that's 1-in-120, or 1/5 x 1/4 x 1/3 x 1/2.

But if I say beforehand that I'm going to roll six 1s, then the chances are 1-in-720, or 1/6 x 1/5...

Is this correct?

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is this correct?

The chances of rolling a Yahtzee are 1-in-120.

The chances of rolling a [predetermined] Yahtzee are 1-in-720.

If I just throw the dice and six 1s come up, that's 1-in-120, or 1/5 x 1/4 x 1/3 x 1/2.

But if I say beforehand that I'm going to roll six 1s, then the chances are 1-in-720, or 1/6 x 1/5...

Is this correct?

I'm not sure myself. Each dice roll is independent of all the others and whether you state it or not should have no effect on the probability.

For any one roll of a set of 6 dice coming up, the odds are (1/6)^6 = 1 / 46716, as each dice roll does not affect the other.

I suspect you maybe confusing it with a different system like a deck of cards, drawing a particular set at random without replacement has the odds 1/52 * 1/51 * 1/50 * 1/49 etc.

There is a fundamental difference in probabilities for whether order is important or not (permutation vs combination) but I don't think it applies here as the dice are ultimately treated as indistinguishable from each other.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.