Not open for further replies.

gipsy

Jan 23, 2009
✟44,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
General relativity describes gravity as warping of the spacetime continuum. Quantum mechanically, it seems to be gravitons. And quantum mechanics is usually held to overrule general relativity...

It's a British term, don't go by the literal translation! ^_^

If quantum physics wouldn't be so extremely fascinating, I would hate it ;)

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Thanks for your explanations. I'm reading (trying to read) the books of Anton Zeilinger (he's austrian too, so this is the nearest thing for me :) )

Yeah, I did a summer school at IQOQI in Innsbruck earlier this summer -quantum information is my area - treasure the guys there, they are seriously skilled and have many interesting projects on the go!

and I believe that I have a very basic "understanding" about quantum physics, or at least what it's all about and I've heard the term "virtual photon" from time to time, but there stops every understanding I have :)

Yeah, QED is tough stuff, as I'm finding out!

I know that gravity is the weakest of the fundamental forces, but still it has (on the macroscopic level) the biggest effects. So if I think of a "force" transportet by any kind of particle, these "particles" should absolutely fill all of space because from the smallest atom to a mega black hole all matter should send out "gravitons", that's why I'm wondering why it's so impossible to find this beast, especially as it's effects are so clearly visible ...

Indeed, but again, it does depend on the degree of interaction these particles will have. A few bajillion (it's a unit, sh'up...) neutrinos pass through you every second, space is full of them, and yet you have to really try hard to detect them. While the graviton is a massless boson, if it's virtual I don't think they have any meaningful capability to interact with instrumentation and be detectable as such.

I think I have to learn more about what a particle is or could be :)

Yeah, quantum field theories are an interesting avenue of research there - both in particle physics and solid state physics.

This sounds for me much more understandable :)

Glad it did, but I would definitely ask someone who knows more about GR, I've had surprisingly little education in it so far, which needs fixing (bit more of a quantum person myself....).

Upvote 0

gipsy

Jan 23, 2009
✟44,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I did a summer school at IQOQI in Innsbruck earlier this summer -quantum information is my area - treasure the guys there, they are seriously skilled and have many interesting projects on the go!

Sweet, Innsbruck is my birth town, and I started studying physics on the Uni Innsbruck in the 90's with the goal to become a great experimental physicist :).
But as it turned out the first few semesters were simply to dry for me, and being a more practical guy I ended up as a Software Engineer.
I also went to school with the brother of Gregor Weihs whom you might possibly have met there?!

Yeah, QED is tough stuff, as I'm finding out!

Yup, especially if you only try to learn it as a hobby with limited time capacities :(

Indeed, but again, it does depend on the degree of interaction these particles will have. A few bajillion (it's a unit, sh'up...) neutrinos pass through you every second, space is full of them, and yet you have to really try hard to detect them. While the graviton is a massless boson, if it's virtual I don't think they have any meaningful capability to interact with instrumentation and be detectable as such.

OK, massless and virtual ... all nice and not really graspable, but if a graviton exists it should imho have a high degree of interaction as it's effecting every other "mass having"!? particle. Or am I here totally on the wrong track somehow?

Yeah, quantum field theories are an interesting avenue of research there - both in particle physics and solid state physics.

Glad it did, but I would definitely ask someone who knows more about GR, I've had surprisingly little education in it so far, which needs fixing (bit more of a quantum person myself....).

QED & GR are my two pet projects, because they're both fascinating and not really graspable with everyday logic, but as I said only as a hobby, so I don't await to be in any way really knowledgable about them :)

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do we really "see" the graviton? ... I think we only see it's effect.
We don't 'see' anything, only their effects on EM waves.

Of course I understand that we'll possibly never be able to see the graviton, but quarks, which we also can't see, have been observerd and evidenced in accelerators.
True, and gravitons have only been inferred to exist because the theory that predicts them is oh-so right about everything else. It would be nice to have something more... concrete.

Upvote 0

canehdianhotstuff

I pour water into acid, I'm crazy like that.
Dec 29, 2003
Pembroke, ON
✟12,820.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Anyone read about the CRU getting hacked 5 days ago and the release of 72 emails (another source said 61) in an attempt to discredit the man-made part of global warming?

CRU hacked emails taint global warming researchers

Only today. Seems like a quote miners' paradise, but that said, this is one research institute, and aren't they the ones coming up with the seriously overdramatic quotes (think the UK government was touting one recently saying that disaster was due in two months or something like that).

The massive irony for me is the number of people who think AGW is all political and yet seem utterly blind to the fact that anti-AGW is as political if not more so.

As I've been pointing out, unless the four facts I've been listing suddenly change, then AGW is a problem - maybe not a critical one right now, but most certainly in the future.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never heard that one before. I guarantee you I have had cuts that hurt prior to seeing it.

And I've had cuts that Didn't hurt when I did see them :D
(Didn't know I was cut tell I saw it either, darn X-acto razor blades :D )

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How come cuts only hurt when you see them?
Because your brain might not recognise that you've been injured, given the quantity of information you receive. When you look at it, your brain suddenly thinks "Gosh, we're bleeding from Sector 18-β! Focus our attention at that area!", and BOOM, you're feeling the pain.

The brain is fantastic like that. And also a bloody pain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The general idea is that it zips to higher dimensions where it can't be found. Or it's too small.

Yes: spacetime. It's a physical thing, though not in the sense of an actual member that holds our guts together.

Nah, just your bog-standard degree

Exactly, we can see the particle: gravity. When we feel the effects of gravity, we're effectively 'seeing' gravitons.

Then again, we know quarks exist, and we've never seen one alone. Some things just don't like to be seen!
"higher dimensions", "can't be found", "too small", "never seen one", "don't like to be seen", "bog-standard degree".
Wow, I'm learning so much here.
smiley-shocked031.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thistlethorn

Defeated dad.
Aug 13, 2009
Steering Cabin
✟16,260.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Nor do I care if you believe me. Your problem, not mine.

So, you come to a science board, spew a bunch of easily refuted crap and then try to twist the burden of evidence? Nice.

I didn't intimate a thing. The news did the intimation. You took it the way it was written. I put nothing into the facts of the stories, which were citing scientific research. That's the way YOU read them.

YOU made the argument. It's YOUR words. Especially since you have still failed to evidence your claim.

Again, I have no need for you to believe that the stories I read are, in fact, stories that I actually read. You wanna be lazy.? Not my business. I already did the work. Passed it on, and you had a conundrum. Then decided that I was the bringer of the information rather that the passer on.

Jebus, it's like talking to a wall. YOU made the assertion, then it's YOUR job to back it up. If YOU fail to back it up nobody is going to take YOU seriously. Go get an education, pal, then come back here.
I made no assertions. I merely posed three questions, which you rode like that guy rode the bomb down in Dr. Strangelove.

You made assertions. Stop lying.

That's the best you got? :D

I didn't know this was a competition.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only time I've injured myself and not felt the pain was when I drove a ice pick into my hand while trying to put holes in a bottle lid that I was going to put bees into.

I'm pretty sure I was in shock.

I have a question: Why when you magnify the light of the sun it causes things to burn, but when you magnify the light of a lamp or something like that it doesn't?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.