Army Veteran to Be Deported - Suffered Brain Injury after 2 Deployments to Afghanistan

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
http://ktla.com/2017/03/20/army-veteran-who-suffered-brain-injury-after-two-tours-in-afghanistan-to-be-deported/
Miguel Perez Jr. moved to Chicago when he was 8-years-old and was a permanent legal resident. He joined the U.S. Army and served two tours of duty in Afghanistan where he suffered a brain injury in an explosion.

Perez's friends and family say that injury, and the post traumatic stress disorder he later developed, made it difficult for him to find work when he returned to Chicago. They say he then started selling drugs.

In February of 2010, Perez was convicted of selling more than two-pounds of cocaine.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought you can only join the army as USA citizen? That makes him a US citizen right?
Not really. Undocumented immigrants and green card holders can join up. Back in the 60s they even got drafted.

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As sad as the situation is, even veterans aren’t entitled to break the law (if that is the case) and his immigration status (if that is the case) is a double whammy... the new administration has said time and time again that deportation begins with law breakers. It’s still sad though.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
http://ktla.com/2017/03/20/army-veteran-who-suffered-brain-injury-after-two-tours-in-afghanistan-to-be-deported/
Miguel Perez Jr. moved to Chicago when he was 8-years-old and was a permanent legal resident. He joined the U.S. Army and served two tours of duty in Afghanistan where he suffered a brain injury in an explosion.

Perez's friends and family say that injury, and the post traumatic stress disorder he later developed, made it difficult for him to find work when he returned to Chicago. They say he then started selling drugs.

In February of 2010, Perez was convicted of selling more than two-pounds of cocaine.

Something not right here. Above in your excerpt it says he was a permanent legal resident. But in the same article it says:

Perez is one of thousands of undocumented immigrant soldiers facing deportation.

You have to be a legal resident to enter the armed services. Undocumented immigrants cannot enlist. Don't know where the author of the article is getting this information from.

A non-citizen must meet certain requirements to be eligible to join the military. The must have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551 Green card/INS Form 1-551) as well as a bona fide residence established with an established a record of the U.S. as their home. If the non-citizens comes from countries with a reputation of hostility towards the U.S, they may require a waiver. The federal government cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and be able to enlist in the military.

In order for an immigrant to
join the United States military, they must first go through the immigration process of the USCIS (previously known as the INS) and then and then begin the enlisting process. Another requirement is that the Green Card and/or visa of the immigrant desiring to join the military must be valid for the entire period of their enlistment.

Undocumented immigrants may not enlist in the U.S. military.

Immigrants and Non-Citizens in the US Armed Forces

There is a fast track for Soldiers to get their citizenship while serving.

Can Foreigners Serve in the United States Military?

How to become a US citizen while serving in the Military:

"Since 9/11 there has been a waiver for naturalization fees for military members serving during periods of hostilities," said Tina Brant, 509th Force Support Squadron naturalization representative. "That saves Airmen at least several hundreds of dollars.

"The time to process the applications is also much faster for troops than civilians because the Department of Defense and USCIS have a memorandum of agreement to expedite military applications," Brant said. "And if they don't receive their citizenship during their first enlistment, they will not be allowed to re-enlist."

The U.S. Military Helps Naturalize Non-Citizens | Military.com

Perez served 7 years. That is over the usual 4 year enlistment. Again, if he was not a citizen by then why not? Most get their citizenship (have to) to reenlist for the next 4-8 years.

The only exception I know of which allows undocumented immigrants entering military service was a DoD policy change for a small specialized population. This happened in 2014:

A small number of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. will have an opportunity to join the military for the first time in decades under a new Department of Defense policy unveiled Thursday.

The new rules will expand an existing program allowing recruiters to target foreign nationals with high-demand skills, mostly rare foreign language expertise or specialized health care training.

For the first time, the program — known as Military Accessions in the National Interest, or MAVNI — will be open to immigrants without a proper visa if they came to the U.S. with their parents before age 16. More specifically, they must be approved under a 2012 Obama administration policy known as Deferred Action for Child Arrivals, or DACA.

Military to allow undocumented immigrants to serve

The OP article does not have all the facts we need to know. For example, it does not indicate Perez's characterization of service at his discharge. Was it an honorable discharge, or general under honorable, or other than honorable? Hard stuff here. I've sat on administrative separation boards where I seated across from a decorated hero who sustained combat wounds either physical or mental. However, they have done something to break the UCMJ and are being boarded out of the Army. We take in all data including service and combat tours. All of such heroes got at least a general under honorable conditions which allows them to take advantage of VA benefits and disability ratings.

So the info needed is how did Perez serve a second enlistment term without becoming a US citizen? Also, what was his characterization upon exiting service. It just may be he was discharged either for medical (then he needs to stay as we broke him and need to fix him) or was discharged administratively for not obtaining his citizenship on time.

Regardless, the man is obviously suffering from service and combat related disabilities. If he received an honorable or under honorable general discharge he should have been receiving treatment at a VA hospital.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As sad as the situation is, even veterans aren’t entitled to break the law (if that is the case) and his immigration status (if that is the case) is a double whammy... the new administration has said time and time again that deportation begins with law breakers. It’s still sad though.

Even if a US citizen and veteran breaks the law, they lose their VA benefits for any incarceration lasting more than 6 months.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You have to be a legal resident to enter the armed services. Undocumented immigrants cannot enlist. Don't know where the author of the article is getting this information from.

A non-citizen must meet certain requirements to be eligible to join the military. The must have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551 Green card/INS Form 1-551) as well as a bona fide residence established with an established a record of the U.S. as their home. If the non-citizens comes from countries with a reputation of hostility towards the U.S, they may require a waiver. The federal government cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and be able to enlist in the military.

In order for an immigrant to
join the United States military, they must first go through the immigration process of the USCIS (previously known as the INS) and then and then begin the enlisting process. Another requirement is that the Green Card and/or visa of the immigrant desiring to join the military must be valid for the entire period of their enlistment.

Undocumented immigrants may not enlist in the U.S. military.

Immigrants and Non-Citizens in the US Armed Forces

There is a fast track for Soldiers to get their citizenship while serving.

Can Foreigners Serve in the United States Military?

How to become a US citizen while serving in the Military:

"Since 9/11 there has been a waiver for naturalization fees for military members serving during periods of hostilities," said Tina Brant, 509th Force Support Squadron naturalization representative. "That saves Airmen at least several hundreds of dollars.

"The time to process the applications is also much faster for troops than civilians because the Department of Defense and USCIS have a memorandum of agreement to expedite military applications," Brant said. "And if they don't receive their citizenship during their first enlistment, they will not be allowed to re-enlist."

The U.S. Military Helps Naturalize Non-Citizens | Military.com

Perez served 7 years. That is over the usual 4 year enlistment. Again, if he was not a citizen by then why not? Most get their citizenship (have to) to reenlist for the next 4-8 years.

The only exception I know of which allows undocumented immigrants entering military service was a DoD policy change for a small specialized population. This happened in 2014:

A small number of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. will have an opportunity to join the military for the first time in decades under a new Department of Defense policy unveiled Thursday.

The new rules will expand an existing program allowing recruiters to target foreign nationals with high-demand skills, mostly rare foreign language expertise or specialized health care training.

For the first time, the program — known as Military Accessions in the National Interest, or MAVNI — will be open to immigrants without a proper visa if they came to the U.S. with their parents before age 16. More specifically, they must be approved under a 2012 Obama administration policy known as Deferred Action for Child Arrivals, or DACA.

Military to allow undocumented immigrants to serve

The OP article does not have all the facts we need to know. For example, it does not indicate Perez's characterization of service at his discharge. Was it an honorable discharge, or general under honorable, or other than honorable? Hard stuff here. I've sat on administrative separation boards where I seated across from a decorated hero who sustained combat wounds either physical or mental. However, they have done something to break the UCMJ and are being boarded out of the Army. We take in all data including service and combat tours. All of such heroes got at least a general under honorable conditions which allows them to take advantage of VA benefits and disability ratings.

So the info needed is how did Perez serve a second enlistment term without becoming a US citizen? Also, what was his characterization upon exiting service. It just may be he was discharged either for medical (then he needs to stay as we broke him and need to fix him) or was discharged administratively for not obtaining his citizenship on time.

Regardless, the man is obviously suffering from service and combat related disabilities. If he received an honorable or under honorable general discharge he should have been receiving treatment at a VA hospital.

Perez served seven years, but because he is not a U.S. citizen, Immigration Customs Enforcement detained him, stripped his legal status (legal permanent resident/green card holder) and began the deportation process. He has been in ICE custody since.

I know, the article was written sloppily.... Perez was a legal permanent resident....but Immigration & Customs Enforcement stripped him of his legal permanent resident status, presumably because of his criminal conviction....

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perez served seven years, but because he is not a U.S. citizen, Immigration Customs Enforcement detained him, stripped his legal status (legal permanent resident/green card holder) and began the deportation process. He has been in ICE custody since.

I know, the article was written sloppily.... Perez was a legal permanent resident....but Immigration & Customs Enforcement stripped him of his legal permanent resident status, presumably because of his criminal conviction....
I believe the unknown here is how did someone who served 7 years not exit the service a US citizen. More to the story I am sure. I don't remember 7 year enlistments for first term Soldiers as you cannot advance in NCO rank if you are not a citizen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I believe the unknown here is how did someone who served 7 years not exit the service a US citizen. More to the story I am sure. I don't remember 7 year enlistments for first term Soldiers as you cannot advance in NCO rank if you are not a citizen.

You are right about this....I will do some more online research and attempt to find the answer

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right about this....I will do some more online research and attempt to find the answer
The former leader and now veteran in me wants to know if this man got a fair shake exiting the service. Unfortunately many don't. And the VA can be vicious to younger Soldiers when they apply for benefits. I know, when I sat in my VA interview retiring from service, I thought I was being interviewed by a prosecutor instead of a doctor. And I was a field grade officer!

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
And the VA can be vicious to younger Soldiers when they apply for benefits. I know, when I sat in my VA interview retiring from service, I thought I was being interviewed by a prosecutor instead of a doctor. And I was a field grade officer!

The VA does sound vicious....

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The former leader and now veteran in me wants to know if this man got a fair shake exiting the service. Unfortunately many don't. And the VA can be vicious to younger Soldiers when they apply for benefits. I know, when I sat in my VA interview retiring from service, I thought I was being interviewed by a prosecutor instead of a doctor. And I was a field grade officer!

Thank you for serving our country!!

• Friendly
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0