VETERAN TELLS DONALD TRUMP JR. TO JOIN MILITARY IF HE WANTS TO UNDERSTAND 'SACRIFICE'

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Veteran tells Donald Trump Jr. to join military if he wants to understand "sacrifice"
On Veterans Day, Iraq War Veteran Paul Rieckhoff criticized first son Donald Trump Jr. for comparing business deals his family gave up so his father could be president with the sacrifices veterans made.

"Don Jr. is of age, if he really wants to understand what sacrifice is all about, he can join the military," Rieckhoff told CNN New Day host John Berman.

In a segment of his new book, Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us, Trump Jr. described a visit to Arlington National Cemetery. While his father, then-President-Elect Donald Trump, stood in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Army played "Taps," which is performed at military funerals, Trump Jr. said he thought about his family's sacrifices.

"In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we'd already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we'd have to make to help my father succeed—voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off the office,'" Trump Jr. wrote, according to Axios.

Rieckhoff, who founded the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) organization, told Berman this was an example of how the president and his family are "tone-deaf about what it means to serve." While he acknowledged there are many different ways to serve your country, he called comparing losing business deals to the veterans buried at Arlington "ridiculous."

"Unfortunately, that's the kind of tone that's permeated the last three years of this administration," Rieckhoff said.
tulc(thought this was interesting) :wave:

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have the same issue when sports stars are said to have given heroic performances.

There is nothing heroic at all about an athlete skillfully doing what he was trained to do and for which he is extremely well paid. They are idols not heroes. There is absolutely no comparison to those who put their lives on the line for their nation for a financial pittance.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing heroic at all about an athlete skillfully doing what he was trained to do and for which he is extremely well paid. They are idols not heroes. There is absolutely no comparison to those who put their lives on the line for their nation for a financial pittance.

And Canada should be recognized for that.

The Canadian Atlantic fleet would bring their ships to our base in Puerto Rico during the winter months. They held some training, painted the ships, and the crew got a little sun, most pasty white sailors I ever saw, the sun must never shine in Halifax.

I respect the Canadian armed forces, and I am glad we are friends, and allies. However, the beer...Molson, La battes, Moose Head, terrible, just swill.

• Haha
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
  • Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God bless that veteran for calling out Jr. I don't think he's the first desire to understand sacrifice. He just wants to use the sacrifice of others for personal gain.
You missed the point. Jr was saying that they have had to make a lot of sacrifice with all the attacks on their family including this post which is an attack on the Trump family. As they say you do not know what a man has gone though until you walk a mile in his shoes.

If people want to fight a war that is their choice and their decision. They have no right to attack people who choose not to go to war and fight a bloody battle to the death. As I said, Jesus sacrificed His Blood for us so that we do not have to make that sacrifice. My brother served 6 years in the civil service so that he did not have to be drafted to go to war. Sometimes there is a sacrifice to be made either way.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You missed the point. Jr was saying that they have had to make a lot of sacrifice with all the attacks on their family including this post which is an attack on the Trump family. As they say you do not know what a man has gone though until you walk a mile in his shoes.

If people want to fight a war that is their choice and their decision. They have no right to attack people who choose not to go to war and fight a bloody battle to the death. As I said, Jesus sacrificed His Blood for us so that we do not have to make that sacrifice. My brother served 6 years in the civil service so that he did not have to be drafted to go to war. Sometimes there is a sacrifice to be made either way.

Nope, Joshua. I absolutely got the point Jr. was trying to make, and you've made me realize it's even more pathetic and shameful than I originally thought. God bless that veteran for calling him out.

My great-uncle never got a choice about fighting in a war. It wasn't his decision. He was drafted to fight in Vietnam. Lost his life there at 19. His family has lived with that grief ever since. He never got to grow, never got to marry, have kids, have grandkids, life his life. That is sacrifice, Joshua. My grandpa, also drafted. Not his decision. You've done a solid job showing how absolutely pathetic beyond all get out Jr's tacky comments were and how the veteran was right to call him out. You've made me even more ashamed, absolutely ashamed of Jr.

Most people who do enlist do so not out of wanting to fight a war but to serve their country. It's not their decision to go fight wars. The ones who make the decision to fight in a war aren't the ones who fight it.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at what Don Jr. said. I truly feel sorry for Don Sr.'s kids.

I feel sorry for Barron and Tiffany. Not the middle aged kids. I feel sorry for the children of Trump Jr. He's repeating the behavior of his daddy in a lot of ways, including cheating on their mother shamelessly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He was drafted to fight in Vietnam.
He could have joined the civil service. He had a choice. I was in the Army and I graduated from basic training at the time. But I made a choice NOT to go to Vietnam. This is not slavery, they do not lock you up in chains and march you off to war. There were a lot of options. Somehow you are getting the Vietnam war mixed up with the Civil war that put an end to that kind of slavery.

I know a girl that signed up for the National Guard. She has to serve 10 years or start making payments on her student loan. That looks like slavery to me. I actually have quite a few friends that went to Vietnam. Everyone has to live with the consequences of the decision that they made. I do not regret my decision.

The reason they put an end to the draft is that the Army was taking the best people. I went though basic training with a person that was drafted and he had a wife - a child and he was in college. First they went to a lottery system and then they eliminated the draft. As it turns out my lottery number was so high that I never would have been drafted if I had not enlisted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
He could have joined the civil service. He had a choice. I was in the Army and I graduated from basic training at the time. But I made a choice NOT to go to Vietnam. This is not slavery, they do not lock you up in chains and march you off to war. There were a lot of options. Somehow you are getting the Vietnam war mixed up with the civil war that put an end to that kind of slavery.

You are dead wrong about that. Dead wrong.

Would appreciate it if you never wrote to me again. I do not tolerate disrespect for our veterans who served our country with sacrifice.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are dead wrong about that. Dead wrong.
No I am not dead. I am still alive having this conversation with you. I do have a very good friend that served in VietNam as a Marine. Only he recently hung himself so he is not alive anymore. I was a medic and I was in training to put dead bodies in body bags. They said it was ok to put extra limbs in a bag. No one cares and no one is able to sort them out.

If you want to sort the arms and legs out go ahead and give it a try. I was trained by the Army not to do that. So give it your best shot and good luck with your attempt to get it all figured out.

I am by the way, still a veteran. Meaning I was discharged under honorable conditions. Only I believe in the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. I believe we are to love our enemy and do good to them that want to do harm to us. That for me is what it means to be a Christian. But everyone has to be faithful to God to do what they feel He is calling them to do in life.

I am glad to be an American and I respect the people that want to war and made the sacrifice they did for me to have the freedom I have to believe what I believe. They were willing to sacrifice themselves even for the people that they do not agree with. To give them the freedom to have their own opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am proud of all who have fought for this country to earn us the freedom to express our opinion. We've got that right in the country. On account of how around here we have to use a lot more care with expressing that opinion I can't say exactly what I'm thinking right now. God bless Iraq War Veteran Paul Rieckhoff who understands sacrifice, courage, and patriotism.

Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
.. Truly... Jesus Christ is who gives me life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in Him.
Therefore He is the reason I am alive, not some boasting veteran, whom got his reward in full from the world itself as homeless people pray together for comfort.
God's grace is efficient in our weakness.
Make America humble again..

I'd say play it safe and just know that when the refuse hits the fan we have God the Father and Christ Jesus His Son to thank for such a blessing, that there is something greater than man made boundaries, and even this country, and governing authorities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So, you agree that Trump Jr. needs to enlist before he opens his mouth again.
No. He has free speech. He just needs to not state that he has sacrificed anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0