• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Are True Apostles Still in Existence Today

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Greg Merrill, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ByTheSpirit

ByTheSpirit Pray always!!

+3,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes Apostles were called to preach the gospel but to try and state that miracles were not one of the signs of an apostle is to outright deny scripture itself.

2 Corinthians 12:12

I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles.

You cannot refute that and your entire basis of discussion is rendered mute by the Holy Spirit.

2. least

least To God be the Glory!

+140
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I am not dismissing that God works miracles today, what I am saying is that the conversation is about whether or not there are Apostles today. The testimonies you presented do not have anything to do with apostles. God did validate his Apostles by working mightily through them, but that doesnt mean that every miracle is channeled through an apostle. Just because we witness a miracle, does not mean we witness an apostle.

3. ByTheSpirit

+3,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree

4. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,949
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    My entire basis of my argument is that there is no reason to believe that there are apostles today. I have no reason to believe that claims of miracles by so-called apostles proves that there are apostles.

-CryptoLutheran

5. ByTheSpirit

+3,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    You were the one that said miracles were not a sign of Apostleship, not me. I merely showed you it was an unscriptural stance.

I am not claiming that everyone who "works miracles" (notice the quotation marks for sarcasm) is an apostle. Far from it.

I am merely saying that true miracles do still happen in today's age and if a person were an apostle, and I do believe God has called apostles still, that such a person would have to work in such to be an apostle.

6. Greg Merrill

Greg Merrill Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,453
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Interesting that you have to qualify your answer by saying "in a formal Pentecostal Assembly". This is separating
    the Pentecostals from the rest of Christendom, seeming to say that Apostles are for Pentecostals, but not for
    the majority of Christendom. That would seem to say that Pentecostals are either like the Gnostics claimed to be
    (Specially privileged by God) are variant/erroneous in their belief regarding Apostles, as well as a few other things.

7. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,218
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    As I said, the bishops are the successors of the apostles, meaning they have the same function, meaning they are the apostles of the day.

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+21,606
    Anglican
    Married
    They may be successors of the apostles, but they are not apostles except in the loose sense of the word, meaning someone who is sent out.

9. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,218
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Exactly what I said.

10. LoveofTruth

LoveofTruth Christ builds His church from within us

+1,524
    Christian
    There are apostles today because they are one of the five fold gifts for the church after the risen Lord went up and gave gifts unto men Ephesians 4:11 . Just as there are pastors and teachers and evangelist and prophets today until we all come into the unity of the faith unto the perfect man

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. LoveofTruth

+1,524
    Christian
    No a bishop or overseer is and elder in the body and they may be any one of the five fold gifts

12. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,949
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    And yet we find no apostles after that first generation of Christians had reached their end and the last of them reposed in the Lord. The Church did, however, have bishops and presbyters who, consecrated and ordained by the holy apostles, continued in the apostolic ministry.

-CryptoLutheran

13. he-man

he-man he-man

+287
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    αποστολος a delegate, envoy, messenger, commissioner, ambassador; Matthew 10:2; Mark 6:30; Luke 9:10; Acts of the Apostles 4:33. If you wish to be a messenger of Christ then teach what he taught. It does not follow that Christ appointed anyone, after the originals, with the power to heal, speak in tongues, or cast out fatalities like cancer, muteness, or the like. However, prayer is the healer of all infirmities if you are a believer and follow what Christ taught.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  14. LoveofTruth

+1,524
    Christian
    There have always been apostles and prophets and evangelist and teachers but somehow they were redefined in many of their roles as missionaries etc . Because of cesstationist view of these gifts many were confused. Even today when a church gathers into a man made religious building u