Are there two kinds of Christians?

losthope

Dec 18, 2004
✟18,607.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Some Christians that I know or who have responded to me through Christian Forums tell me about their firm conviction in the Bible as the word of God. Their faith is based on trust. Other Christians tell me about their personal relationship with God. Their faith is based on experience, although they often also have a firm conviction in the Bible. My point is that some Christians base their faith solely on trust, while other Christians claim a personal relationship.

The difference between the two types of Christians has an effect on the way that they respond. After I made a commitment to Christ, some Christians told me about the joy of the relationship that I would soon experience, while other Christians told me to go on believing the promises of God and not to expect anything special to happen, telling me that expecting a personal relationship with God is asking for too much.

Those who claim a relationship cannot believe that anyone who has known God could ever give up their faith; once saved, always saved. Those whose faith is based on trust may suggest that a person who stops trusting God has lost their salvation.

I have great respect for the faith of both types of Christian. I have stressed some of the differences between the two, but there are also many similarities. However, I know which kind of a Christian I would like to be, and that is one with a personal relationship with God. I want to know God in a personal way. Those whose faith is based on trust tell me that I can know God by reading and believing in the Bible. I am not so sure; reading the Bible will help me to know about God, but will not help me to know God.

Of course, this is a simplification, and there are many other ways of thinking about the differences and similarities of Christians. But I have two questions. Do you agree with me in describing two kinds of Christians in this way? And am I right to be seeking a relationship with God, or should I trust in the Bible and expect no response from God?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think this is representative of Christianity at all.

There are lots of different denominations, and therefore, you'll have lots of different approaches to the Christian faith. It's too simplistic to say that there are two kinds of Christians, and those in group A also believe in C, while those in group B also believe in D.

Also, what you're calling trust and experience are not mutually exclusive. Like a relationship with any person, a relationship with God must have the key element of trust. The Bible is God's letter to people - we can either trust what's in that letter, and therefore trust him, or not. This is just like trusting what a friend, relative, or loved one writes to you.

Finally, there are times in everyone's walk with God that are emotional, and full of power. And likewise, there are dry times when it seems like God isn't listening. But everybody gets those. People will tell you what they're telling you based on where they're at, at the time. Also, some Christians haven't been Christians that long and have less experience in their walks with Christ to draw from; some newbies just haven't experienced the really hard times yet.

Upvote 0

Hotpepper

Charis Dia Pistis
Jun 14, 2010
Oregon
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the main two types you are speaking of are the theologies of Calvinism and Arminianism. Although there are many more. The problem is that theology is fallible. Every denomination is fallible. Only the Word of God is infallible. I am personally a believer of a personal relationship with God through His Word. The only way to get to know Him is to read and study. The more you read the more you'll know His Word but you are right about something. Anyone can read the words that are on the pages. Anyone can memorize verses and know the Scripture like the back of their hands. However none of it will be of much use if the context is not grasped. Only through the Holy Spirit will this understanding come. God is love and I know that sounds corny but it is an experience like no other that can only be brought by both learning the words on the page and seeking the context and understanding through love. No matter how it might "seem". Brutality, wrath, anger, punishment... except no understanding or context of anything that would be apart from His important characteristics in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 or that would separate the Character of Jesus from God the Father. Since God is love it only makes sense that the Holy Spirit will guide you BY love. It's never discipline or force or fear but faith, truth, charity. The answers are always to be found through freedom and love.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you agree with me in describing two kinds of Christians in this way? And am I right to be seeking a relationship with God, or should I trust in the Bible and expect no response from God?

Two answer your questions directly, Yes.

For example lest take what it is your heart wants and search the bible for an answer:
I know which kind of a Christian I would like to be, and that is one with a personal relationship with God.

5Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'
7"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' 8I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness[e] he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
9"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. 11"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

So in short if you want a personal relationship with him then Ask Seek and Knock. We ask through prayer, we seek in scripture and in those who exhibit the "fruit of the Spirit" (Found in Gal 5:22) and we knock by repeating this process till we get what our hearts truly desire.

For those only seek the relationship that is what is given to them, and for those who only seek an intellectual knowledge of God that is what is given to them. But for the those who seek both with all of their being they receive both. (Or a healthy balance of the two.)

As I said in the beginning you are correct in spotting to of the main types of Christians, but you should also know God is not limited by the boundaries we place on ourselves. So if you wish to become more than what you have seen of Christianity so far then take your petition to God and Hold on to something! ;)

Upvote 0

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some Christians that I know or who have responded to me through Christian Forums tell me about their firm conviction in the Bible as the word of God. Their faith is based on trust. Other Christians tell me about their personal relationship with God. Their faith is based on experience, although they often also have a firm conviction in the Bible. My point is that some Christians base their faith solely on trust, while other Christians claim a personal relationship.

The difference between the two types of Christians has an effect on the way that they respond. After I made a commitment to Christ, some Christians told me about the joy of the relationship that I would soon experience, while other Christians told me to go on believing the promises of God and not to expect anything special to happen, telling me that expecting a personal relationship with God is asking for too much.

Those who claim a relationship cannot believe that anyone who has known God could ever give up their faith; once saved, always saved. Those whose faith is based on trust may suggest that a person who stops trusting God has lost their salvation.

I have great respect for the faith of both types of Christian. I have stressed some of the differences between the two, but there are also many similarities. However, I know which kind of a Christian I would like to be, and that is one with a personal relationship with God. I want to know God in a personal way. Those whose faith is based on trust tell me that I can know God by reading and believing in the Bible. I am not so sure; reading the Bible will help me to know about God, but will not help me to know God.

Of course, this is a simplification, and there are many other ways of thinking about the differences and similarities of Christians. But I have two questions. Do you agree with me in describing two kinds of Christians in this way? And am I right to be seeking a relationship with God, or should I trust in the Bible and expect no response from God?
Hey losthope,

I think this is a really interesting question, because I've also noticed that there are these covert differences in Christians, I tend to call them emotional Christians and intellectual Christians, but what you say is just as accurate and I certainly don't feel that one is superior to the other, if anything it just amazes me that God can form a relationship with such vastly differing people, although that shouldn't surprise me really as I believe He created us.

Anyhow, in respects to what you say, this is really a huge topic because I think it deals with an individuals life, their experience, and personality and those things combine to form such unique people that I cannot possibly imagine or theorize as to how they come about.

I often thought I was an intellectual Christian, not feeling a specific tangible connection to God, but definitely believing in being in a relationship with God. I was awed by the intellectual arguments and incredible information and evidence to us about our universe and reality, and I saw God's signature everywhere. But then during some especially hard times, I really learned that that didn't comfort me at all. I was spiraling towards rock-bottom and all this intellectual information provided no comfort or message of hope, and I realized I didn't actually know God in the sense you talk about, I knew about God precisely as you say. It was during the worst months of my life thus far, that I really came to appreciate what Christ did for us, and to feel that connection and awe and complete love for this person who I really didn't know, but who has given me so much, and really carried me through this crisis - not that it's over, but certainly I feel looking back I would have been crushed and forgotten early on without God being there.

I wonder now, if these different types as we see them are really just part of the same thing, but at different places in one continual journey through life with God. I know people who started at either end, and some who are still there and some who are not, having progressed. To be honest with you, I would really suggest not stressing or trying to be something specific, or force it - instead, open yourself and your mind to what is present and then see where you end up. If you are a more emotional person, feeling the need and desire for a connection and living relationship with God, I see no reason why that is not where you would end up naturally based on who God made you to be. If on the other hand you are stimulated and find a deep connection with the evidence, facts, and information about God, then I too see no reason why you would not choose that as your first step.

Just try not to be in too much of a hurry, and I am quite confident your experience will be as unique and powerful as everyone else's has been. :>

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I see here is failing to recognize that Jesus is LORD. "Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what [shall] this man [do]?
Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee? follow thou me." John 21:20-22

We are each to follow Jesus. Even the OP. There are many different kinds of people, and each of us is unique. The body has different members. Each of us reveals G-d's glory differently, and yet we are not enough to reveal Him completely. Not even close!

tell me about their firm conviction in the Bible as the word of God. Their faith is based on trust. Other Christians tell me about their personal relationship with God. Their faith is based on experience. My point is that some Christians base their faith solely on trust, while other Christians claim a personal relationship.

False dichotomy. You will gain much better understanding by reading the Bible and having Him make it come alive to YOU. Until that happens, you need someone to spoon-feed you what it says on a given subject. "So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Ro 10:17

expecting a personal relationship with God is asking for too much.

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:3-7

Sounds pretty personal to me. Scriptural, too.

Simply not true. Plus, the Bible teaches against division in the body.

I want to know God in a personal way. I am not so sure; reading the Bible will help me to know about God, but will not help me to know God.

Have you told G-d this?

1. Approach the Bible with the attitude that it is God speaking to you, telling you about how to relate to Him. Pray with a quiet, meditative spirit, for exactly that. Ask Him to show Himself strong to you, in ways you haven't known yet.

2. For best results do this every morning, and every evening. We can talk about Scriptural reasons in depth later, but it is God's way.

3. As you read, anything that looks good PRAY FOR IT. Specific examples I've found powerful:

a. Is 50:4 "The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to [him that is] weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. (Jesus got this, prophetically. Talk about humility!)

b. "the Lord grant you the Spirit of wisdom and knowledge in the revelation of Him"
"That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:" Eph 1:17

c. Realize EVERY instance of "the wicked man" in Proverbs is you (me / us).
Yeah, ouch.

4. If there's time for more involved praying after this, fine; but more likely there will be other things you need to go do. Don't think they take you away from God because they DON'T! Just don't leave home w/o Him. It's in the doing that prayer seems to be most helpful. "Pray w/o ceasing," keep a prayerful attitude; there is room in His kingdom for our own unique style. The calling is to abundant LIFE.

I have two questions. Do you agree with me in describing two kinds of Christians in this way? And am I right to be seeking a relationship with God, or should I trust in the Bible and expect no response from God?

Jesus also taught Spiritual via natural things, that they are connected, and that the unseen Spirit realm is in control.

"Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? This is he that came by water and blood, [even] Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him." I John 5:5-15

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

WOW! You hit the nail right on the head. Many Christians even don't realize it. It's SOOOOOOOO true: through the Bible you can only know ABOUT God (and it's like looking through the fogged up window where you can hardly see)

but you can KNOW GOD Himself by personal relationship with Him. (and the view of Him is much more clear in this case)

Do not stop at reading the Bible. It's only the first step to God. Develop a relationship and EXPECT to hear from Him.

Of course, you probably have guessed which type I am. I am the one who has a personal relationship. And I say, that without it, Christianity is a dry valley without life and without living water.

Upvote 0

beforHim

Apologetical
May 18, 2015
Near Austin, TX
✟19,124.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I actually see your descriptions as adequete. We can describe many different ways. Also, the way you have choosen points to what you're asking.

I think it better to rely on Scripture PLUS everything else God has given us. But both can lead towards a personal relationship.

Upvote 0

Hotpepper

Charis Dia Pistis
Jun 14, 2010
Oregon
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey losthope,

I think this is a really interesting question, because I've also noticed that there are these covert differences in Christians, I tend to call them emotional Christians and intellectual Christians, but what you say is just as accurate and I certainly don't feel that one is superior to the other, if anything it just amazes me that God can form a relationship with such vastly differing people, although that shouldn't surprise me really as I believe He created us.

Anyhow, in respects to what you say, this is really a huge topic because I think it deals with an individuals life, their experience, and personality and those things combine to form such unique people that I cannot possibly imagine or theorize as to how they come about.

I often thought I was an intellectual Christian, not feeling a specific tangible connection to God, but definitely believing in being in a relationship with God. I was awed by the intellectual arguments and incredible information and evidence to us about our universe and reality, and I saw God's signature everywhere. But then during some especially hard times, I really learned that that didn't comfort me at all. I was spiraling towards rock-bottom and all this intellectual information provided no comfort or message of hope, and I realized I didn't actually know God in the sense you talk about, I knew about God precisely as you say. It was during the worst months of my life thus far, that I really came to appreciate what Christ did for us, and to feel that connection and awe and complete love for this person who I really didn't know, but who has given me so much, and really carried me through this crisis - not that it's over, but certainly I feel looking back I would have been crushed and forgotten early on without God being there.

I wonder now, if these different types as we see them are really just part of the same thing, but at different places in one continual journey through life with God. I know people who started at either end, and some who are still there and some who are not, having progressed. To be honest with you, I would really suggest not stressing or trying to be something specific, or force it - instead, open yourself and your mind to what is present and then see where you end up. If you are a more emotional person, feeling the need and desire for a connection and living relationship with God, I see no reason why that is not where you would end up naturally based on who God made you to be. If on the other hand you are stimulated and find a deep connection with the evidence, facts, and information about God, then I too see no reason why you would not choose that as your first step.

Just try not to be in too much of a hurry, and I am quite confident your experience will be as unique and powerful as everyone else's has been. :>

Amen brother. Your story is nearly identical to my own and I agree with every word of this.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't think there are two types of Christians, but rather there are different kinds of people who need to relate to faith in various ways. Some on a more intellectual basis (research, studying, memorization), some on a more emotional level. It's what works the best for them but they're equal in Christ. Even so, I believe there comes a point in everyone's walk of faith where the must stop and see what Christ and their relationship with Him means to them personally.

Anyway, your post reminded me of a devotional I kept from an issue of the Upper Room. The author, Nora Haberly Holmes, was trying to take care of a plant after figuring out what it best needed to survive, but then was dismayed to find it died despite her best intentions. She figured she had been wrong about its perfect conditions matching her idea of what its perfect conditions should be.

To quote what stood out to me:

" I began to think about how my experience with this plant compares to people and where they thrive in worshiping God. I live in a small town with four distinctly different Christian churches. Why are there so many in such a small town? Because people's needs are different. What works best for me in worship and my relationship with God may not work well for someone else. ..... Some relate better to God on an emotional level, while others do so on an intellectual level. We come from different backgrounds and have different expectations and needs. Just as certain plants need different conditions to survive and grow, so people grow and flourish as Christians in many different settings."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

There are not two species of Christian, only one. However, within that oneness there are two different approaches.

The terms for these approaches are Bibliocentric, and Christocentric.

I am Christocentric myself, because this is the faith that the Bible itself tells us to have. Christocentrics will tend to predominate in apostolic churches; Roman Catholics, Anglican/Episcopalians/Orthodox. The focus of Christocentrics is pretty well always on Christ, and the Bible always answers to Christ.

A Bibliocentric faith is possible, but is unBiblical. Bibiocentrics are found in much younger denominations, and in particular fundamentalist churches. The focus of Bibliocentrics is pretty well always on Scripture, to the point of holding God himself answerable to what the Bible says.

Both are Christians. All have a personal relationship with the Lord, although the tendency will be for each to assume the other does not, in order to retain a notional superiority to it. Bibliocentrics will accuse Christocentrics of not respecting Scripture sufficiently. Christocentrics, on the other hand, will accuse Bibliocentrics of having a Triune God comprising God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Scripture.

I hope that helps. :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm not supposed to post here but I feel that this is something that needs to be addressed.

Knowing carries the sense of experiencing. This can refer to sexual relationships (Genesis 4:25) and spiritual relationships (Philippians 3:8-10).

Having a personal relationship with God is more important than just knowing about God.

Knowing God is better than trusting in the Bible (Philippians 3:8).

Upvote 0

losthope

Dec 18, 2004
✟18,607.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think this is representative of Christianity at all.

There are lots of different denominations, and therefore, you'll have lots of different approaches to the Christian faith. It's too simplistic to say that there are two kinds of Christians, and those in group A also believe in C, while those in group B also believe in D.

Also, what you're calling trust and experience are not mutually exclusive. Like a relationship with any person, a relationship with God must have the key element of trust. The Bible is God's letter to people - we can either trust what's in that letter, and therefore trust him, or not. This is just like trusting what a friend, relative, or loved one writes to you.

Finally, there are times in everyone's walk with God that are emotional, and full of power. And likewise, there are dry times when it seems like God isn't listening. But everybody gets those. People will tell you what they're telling you based on where they're at, at the time. Also, some Christians haven't been Christians that long and have less experience in their walks with Christ to draw from; some newbies just haven't experienced the really hard times yet.

To Sketcher

I agree with you that there are many approaches to the Christian faith, not just two. You are right also to say that trust and experience are not mutually exclusive; it is true that many Christians have both.

It is also true that many Christians experience times of closeness to God, and dry times when it is as if God is not listening.

The motivation for my original posting came after I had spoken with two men who were at Bible college together and who are now both ministers of churches. They have both been Christians for many years, long enough for them to have experienced hard times as well as good times. The two men were completely different in their approach. One man spoke about his relationship with the Lord and saw faith in terms of a relationship; he also believed and trusted in the Bible as the word of God. The other man insisted that what mattered was to trust the Bible implicitly, and he added that it was unrealistic to expect any kind of relationship or feedback from God; we should trust and obey. I related much better to the first man. However, after speaking with them both I thought back to many conversations with Christians over the years, and began to recognise that some of those I had spoken to embraced one approach, and some the other.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another way to look at this is, where is an individual in their walk? G-d compares Baptism to Israel crossing the Red Sea via miraculous deliverance, and then you're in a desert. Possibly for WAY longer than need be. The journey to the Promised Land doesn't need to take very long, but it does require recognizing His leading, and obedience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

losthope

Dec 18, 2004
✟18,607.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you to all of those who have contributed to this thread. Some have agreed and some have disagreed that there is some truth in describing two types of Christians, those who trust and those who claim a relationship. The two types have also been described as intellectual and emotional, and as Bibliocentric and Christocentric. Some have been open about which type of Christian they are, in both camps.

Some have suggested reasons why some Christians concentrate on trusting the Bible, and why others stress their relationship with God. One reason given is that people are made differently and so they have fellowship with God differently. Another reason is that they get the type of faith that they ask for. It is interesting that both of these essentially say that it is the person, and not God, who determines what kind of Christian they will be.

Then some have suggested that people may begin by having faith based on trusting the Bible and move on to finding a relationship with God later, perhaps through a time of difficulty. The spoken or unspoken message here is that having a relationship with God is a deeper form of faith, and I am not sure how those who stress trusting the Bible will react to that.

I am not an emotional person, but I personally have not found satisfaction in simply trusting in the Bible. Some have urged me to pray and ask God for a relationship, and to go on asking until it happens. I am still seeking that relationship.

Upvote 0

JeannieLee

Jul 2, 2010
✟7,640.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I agree to an extent.. I believe there are Christians out of Love for God, and Christians out of Fear of God or even the Devil..

To know God personally is to know His Love, to know God out of Fear of the say Law or what we think is right or wrong.. To be a good Christian is one who loves God, and who out of love and the Holy Spirit become like Christ..

As far as your second question.. You are right in seeking a relationship with God, but you can do that through the Word of God, the Bible is called the Word of God because it is about Jesus, who is called the Word of God.. Jesus is God in human form.. And the Bible is believed to be inspired by God, which in this sense takes Faith to believe..

It all comes down to Faith, if you have a personal relationship with God, you can relate God to the Bible much easier.. Without that personal relationship with God, the Bible does nothing but cause fear..

As a Catholic I often say, you have to have a healthy Religious Trinity.. Prayer (personal relationship), Sacraments, and the Bible...

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not an emotional person, but I personally have not found satisfaction in simply trusting in the Bible. Some have urged me to pray and ask God for a relationship, and to go on asking until it happens. I am still seeking that relationship.

The best way to find yourself in that relationship, in a very real and dynamic way? Get to know the Scriptures. "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39

"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he (Jesus) expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." Luke 24:27

Pray for Him to do something like that for you; really read that chapter over and over so it's very firmly in your mind, and set your heart upon it praying that way. Out of all the things I've prayed for, that's the one that made the biggest difference for me. Since He's no respecter of persons, I don't see why He wouldn't do the same for you ... and I'm still ranting about it decades later :bow:

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some Christians that I know or who have responded to me through Christian Forums tell me about their firm conviction in the Bible as the word of God. Their faith is based on trust. Other Christians tell me about their personal relationship with God. Their faith is based on experience, although they often also have a firm conviction in the Bible. (If they have a personal relationship with God they will trust God. You can't have trust without a personal relationship. And they will read the Bible. Not reading the bible is like not eating food as the bible is spiritual food).

The difference between the two types of Christians has an effect on the way that they respond. After I made a commitment to Christ, some Christians told me about the joy of the relationship that I would soon experience, while other Christians told me to go on believing the promises of God and not to expect anything special to happen, telling me that expecting a personal relationship with God is asking for too much. (God wants a personal relationship with you, he does have promises, special things do and can happen).

Those who claim a relationship cannot believe that anyone who has known God could ever give up their faith; once saved, always saved. Those whose faith is based on trust may suggest that a person who stops trusting God has lost their salvation. (Once saved always saved? If a christian walks in darkness they are no longer saved. A person who has known God can be lost again. Hebrews 6:4-6. People who are like this just won't care about God at all).

Of course, this is a simplification, and there are many other ways of thinking about the differences and similarities of Christians. But I have two questions. Do you agree with me in describing two kinds of Christians in this way? And am I right to be seeking a relationship with God, or should I trust in the Bible and expect no response from God? (No, I don't agree.You should have a personal relationship AND read the bible. God always answers prayers. Its yes, no or wait. A true christian puts God first, than family and friends, church and the community. How can one not have a personal relationship with God and have their priorities straight?).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟68,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

The simple answer is yes! There are saved and unsaved Christians. Beyond that statement it gets all muddled up. You are not wrong to expect a relationship with God but first you must approach Him in faith.

Upvote 0