Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scientists may have found evidence of human activity, and flooding that happened on Mount Ararat, pointing to the flood which happened during Noah's time, dated to about 5500 BC to 3000 BC according to Popular Mechanics: Archaeologists Think They Might Have Found the Real Noah’s Ark

Woo, science and the Bible go well together. :) God willing, that more people realize that Christianity and researchers can go well together. Many early scientists from the 17th - 20th century were God-fearing individuals, including Galileo, Newton, Gregor Mendel, Georges Lemâitre and others.

Edit at 6:15 PM CST (This article is a repost by Popular Mechanics of a Daily Mail article. Shame that Daily Mail can disguise themselves in a science periodical. Daily Mail is a sensationalist junk news site run by a multimillionaire named Jonathan Harmsworth. Guess his company causes a lot of "harm" that isn't "worth" it to factual news by spreading news blown out of proportion)
It would be cool to finally find out what the heck gopher wood is.

Is Popular Mechanics science? I've never read it.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scientific evidence totally rejects the idea of a global flood, the practicality of a biblical Ark and the death of all humans and animals, apart from those in the Ark.

I'm not sure which aspects of the Bible story you think are supported by your article.

OB
This post was mainly posted for my fellow Christians who deny archeology. Trying to show the that science and religion go well together. And the "world" described in the flood could have been the known world at the time for the people living in the Middle East, which is much smaller compared to the whole globe.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would be cool to finally find out what the heck gopher wood is.

Is Popular Mechanics science? I've never read it.
Stay away from Popular Mechanics. They were good many years ago before I was born and probably somewhat good up until the 2010s, but since the Internet, British tabloids and social media, they have slowly been going downhill. Didn't know that the magazine could stoop so low to use a tabloid in their research.

I used to have a competitor magazine in the physical paperback form, Popular Science from 2012 to 2016 but they began going downhill in 2017 as the company began filling the periodical with adverts and opinions. National Geographic went the same way around 2018 and isn't even about geography or history as much, and is more about societal issues and politics.

Also, gopher wood could be cypress or cedar: What is gopher wood? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟999,944.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah, it seems that there was more research done long ago (1950s) according to Noah's Ark Scans website that showed the same thing as the 2023 article, but this was recent. Hopefully the archeologists actually start digging here, which they are starting to do now.

Noah's Ark: Join the most comprehensive scientific study of Noah’s Ark

Even Answers in Genesis rejects the Durupinar site as the Ark (see extract below). It was originally "discovered" by the late Ron Wyatt, best known as a con man notorious for discovering a range of fake Biblical sites and artifacts including 'chariot wheels' from the Egyptians chasing Moses & Co across the Red Sea.

The Noahs Ark Scans link you provided is basically a Turkish company trading off Wyatts 'discovery' to sell trips to the site to gullible tourists.

From AIG (a well known Fundamentalist website)

Ark-Shaped Formation

Earthquakes and heavy rain exposed a large Ark-shaped formation in 1948. The site, named Durupinar, was designated a national park in Turkey and is easier to get to than all the other main Ark locations. Ron Wyatt claimed to have found multiple artifacts in the area to bolster his assertion that the object is indeed the Ark.
However, geologists and archaeologists have studied the site and rejected it, concluding it is merely one of many similar geologic formations in the region. Many of these researchers were Christians who would love to find the Ark, but the evidence was lacking.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even Answers in Genesis rejects the Durupinar site as the Ark (see extract below). It was originally "discovered" by the late Ron Wyatt, best known as a con man notorious for discovering a range of fake Biblical sites and artifacts including 'chariot wheels' from the Egyptians chasing Moses & Co across the Red Sea.

The Noahs Ark Scans link you provided is basically a Turkish company trading off Wyatts 'discovery' to sell trips to the site to gullible tourists.

From AIG (a well known Fundamentalist website)

Ark-Shaped Formation

Earthquakes and heavy rain exposed a large Ark-shaped formation in 1948. The site, named Durupinar, was designated a national park in Turkey and is easier to get to than all the other main Ark locations. Ron Wyatt claimed to have found multiple artifacts in the area to bolster his assertion that the object is indeed the Ark.
However, geologists and archaeologists have studied the site and rejected it, concluding it is merely one of many similar geologic formations in the region. Many of these researchers were Christians who would love to find the Ark, but the evidence was lacking.
I am not here to debate an atheist. This post was targeted to Christians.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟999,944.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Being an atheist does not make me wrong. This Ron Wyatt con has been around for decades.

If you're going to provide misinformation to Christians that's up to you.

Even AIG, the pre-eminent Fundamentalist web site does not accept Durupina (aka Noahs Ark Scans) as a legitimate candidate for the Ark.

I suggest you Google Ron Wyatt.

OB

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being an atheist does not make me wrong. This Ron Wyatt con has been around for decades.

If you're going to provide misinformation to Christians that's up to you.

Even AIG, the pre-eminent Fundamentalist web site does not accept Durupina (aka Noahs Ark Scans) as a legitimate candidate for the Ark.

I suggest you Google Ron Wyatt.

OB
I understand. That is why I said the article is from the fake news company, Daily Mail. Daily Mail is like Trump. It twists the truth, or blatantly lies.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,205,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Should stick to the areas we’re not allowed to post in then.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Human activity, however, does not a Biblical account prove. The Durupinar formation has been put forth as a potential ark resting place for many years, and has received extensive attention from those hoping to find Noah’s Ark. Despite the hype, archaeologists have consistently reaffirmed over the years that the formation is natural, not the result of a petrified shipwreck, and that there is no geologic record of a global flood like the one described in religious texts. Some believe that a more local flood may have been possible, but that is also debated."
I think the Durupinar place has been interesting. It sure does look like the shape of the boat. Even if it's just natural earth I wonder if it's possible earth/mud went around the structure making a mode of the boat.
1699062224505.png

Many keep looking on he high mountain of Ararat but as we can see from the scripture below it says it rested on the mountains of Ararat.....or the hill country of Ararat?

And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat. Gen 8:4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Even Answers in Genesis rejects the Durupinar site as the Ark (see extract below).
As I wondered in my other post could the Durupinar site be a mode of the boat causes by mudslides....and the actual wood is gone? Not sure if that's possible but something still looks very amazing about the site....the size of the ark that is if we understand what a cubit was......still something about that makes me think.

So what do most Christians here believe happened to the Ark? What are the possibilities? All the searching on the high mountain of Ararat seems so strange seeing it says it rested on the mountains of Ararat (plural) Not maybe the great mountain but the high hill areas around it. The idea it landed on the high mountain doesn't make sense for all the animals came down from that high place? So what happened to it. I suspect is was disenabled and the wood taken away in some era.....maybe a couple hundred years after the flood.....perhaps some wanted the story to go silent?

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I wondered in my other post could the Durupinar site be a mode of the boat causes by mudslides....and the actual wood is gone? Not sure if that's possible but something still looks very amazing about the site....the size of the ark that is if we understand what a cubit was......still something about that makes me think.

So what do most Christians here believe happened to the Ark? What are the possibilities? All the searching on the high mountain of Ararat seems so strange seeing it says it rested on the mountains of Ararat (plural) Not maybe the great mountain but the high hill areas around it. The idea it landed on the high mountain does make sense for all the animals came down from that high place? So what happened to it. I suspect is was disenabled and the wood taken away in some era.....maybe a couple hundred years after the flood.....perhaps some wanted the story to go silent?
That is a good theory. Maybe someone took the materials of the ark when it was abandoned, or disassembled the whole ship. Or, the wood rotted away after nearly 70 centuries.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That is a good theory. Maybe someone took the materials of the ark when it was abandoned, or disassembled the whole ship. Or, the wood rotted away after nearly 70 centuries.
And wood does rot away after just a few years. I think some looking on the high mountain of Ararat maybe it's under the snow top seems like just a pipe dream. The Noah's Ark story is a great one though and I believe it happened. Just the size of it alone (for the day) about 1 1/2 football field long....50 feet high, 30 feet wide or there abouts. Amazing.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And wood does rot away after just a few years. I think some looking on the high mountain of Ararat maybe it's under the snow top seems like just a pipe dream. The Noah's Ark story is a great one though and I believe it happened. Just the size of it alone (for the day) about 1 1/2 football field long....50 feet high, 30 feet wide or there abouts. Amazing.
Yeah, the ark was massive. Maybe some wood remains could be possible, but are probably buried under layers of sediment and petrified, but not the whole ship. It would take until the 1600-1700s for ships to even begin reaching that size.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟964,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If the Ark settled down after the flood waters had receded, and was just open to the air for awhile, it would be long, long gone by now, even if the remains of it were not later (soon after) pillaged or ransacked (or taken apart) for other reasons, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the Ark settled down after the flood waters had receded, and was just open to the air for awhile, it would be long, long gone by now, even if the remains of it were not later (soon after) pillaged or ransacked for other reasons, etc.

God Bless.
That is what Bobber was getting at. By the way, to quote another user, just click on the "+ quote" button under each post. It makes it easier for people to know which person you are replying to. :)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟964,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If the Ark settled down after the flood waters had receded, and was just open to the air for awhile, it would be long, long gone by now, even if the remains of it were not later (soon after) pillaged or ransacked (or taken apart) for other reasons, etc.

God Bless.
It was just a big wooden box, not at all made to sail, but just only float temporarily only, until the flood waters in the region had receded/subsided, etc.

I do believe the original direct descendants of Adam and Eve lived lifetimes that were as long as the Bible says they did, and I forget how long Noah and his family worked on it (I'd have to look it up again) but it was more than enough time to build it, even though it was as big as it was/is, etc.

And as far as animals and all of that, you got to realize that the Bible's using language such as "the whole earth" and "all flesh", etc, is probably still just only what his audience knew about, or was only what they were seeing, or was only what they were aware of currently in that region at that time, etc. Not every single species of insect, or animal, or whatever, etc, in the literal "whole entire earth", etc, was on the Ark with them, etc, but only the ones that were much more common to that region, etc, most importantly males and females of all the animals they could domesticate or use for food in that region, etc, but also maybe a few predators as well maybe, etc, which God made non-aggressive temporarily, etc. But it was for the purpose of rebuilding or re-populating again afterwards in that region again, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟964,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is what Bobber was getting at. By the way, to quote another user, just click on the "+ quote" button under each post. It makes it easier for people to know which person you are replying to. :)
Thanks.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Many questions I'd like to ask Noah some day.

What did you know about the population of the world in your day?
How many towns cities were you aware of?
Was it just you and your family that built the ark or did you hire working crews?
Did you have rain before the flood?
Where exactly did the Ark land (showing him a map)
How long did your family stay with you after the flood? Did different offspring depart to different lands?
In what way did God speak to you about the Ark. A vision, dream or an audible voice? How often did God speak to you in these ways?
Was there any time when building the Ark where you felt there's no way you could get it done?
Did your offspring ever become disillusioned with the project?
What type of tools, saws did you use in building the Ark?
IN what way did you warn the world what exactly did the say to you?

Upvote 0