Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Hello, i was Born Catholic but i cant remember much about Church. And i have recently became born again Christian, I want to learn Christian theology and more about the bible. I go to Bible Study On Friday Morning, but i wish to go deeper into Christian Theology and maybe even go to bible College. As i feel my life is for Christ//, i am unsure where to start apart from reading the bible i want to understand it more and learn from Jesus. But i am unsure where to start apart from the bible study at the moment. I want to help those with addictions, mental health and homelessness. I want others to come to Jesus, and I want to save those who are suffering and those who don't yet know Jesus and Show them the love of Jesus. Thank you

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello, i was Born Catholic but i cant remember much about Church. And i have recently became born again Christian, I want to learn Christian theology and more about the bible. I go to Bible Study On Friday Morning, but i wish to go deeper into Christian Theology and maybe even go to bible College. As i feel my life is for Christ//, i am unsure where to start apart from reading the bible i want to understand it more and learn from Jesus. But i am unsure where to start apart from the bible study at the moment. I want to help those with addictions, mental health and homelessness. I want others to come to Jesus, and I want to save those who are suffering and those who don't yet know Jesus and Show them the love of Jesus. Thank you
Hi there!

God bless you! The first thing you need to do before reading His Word is pray for understanding. Pray you won’t be persuaded by popular beliefs but what is God’s Truth and it Is a promise He will lead you to His Truth John 16:13 if we study His Word with a willing and open heart.

Some bible studies I enjoy are the following:

You can find a sermon here on every topic

Another favorite

The study on Revelation/Daniel

And another favorite

But it’s best just to prayerfully read the Bible and ask for the guidance of the Holy Spirit. God bless!

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Begin at the beginning. After the bible came the Church Fathers. After the Church Fathers came the Ecumenical Councils.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Lily76_, for quick answers to your theological questions, or as a place to begin a deeper study of a verse/passage or topic, go here: www.gotquestions.org.

Along with being able to compare MANY different Bible translations and paraphrases on the same page, Bible Hub has a nice collection of online Bible commentaries for you to use as well.

Beyond that, you can go and hear daily teaching broadcasts 24/7 on the Internet now (when I came to Christ 37 years ago, you could only find such teachings on the radio).

Four of my favorites are,

Renewing Your Mind with Dr. R. C. Sproul (and other Ligonier teaching fellows)​
Grace to You with Dr. John MacArthur​
Insight for Living with Dr. Chuck Swindoll​
Gateway to Joy with Elisabeth Elliot (missionary/author)​

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - if you've not seen this movie/documentary yet, I highly recommend it :) Here is a link to both the trailer and the full movie. It's recent (2018) and very well-done, with beautiful cinematography, and its cast is made up of well-known theologians, pastors, historians, apologists, evangelists, and linguists. ENJOY :)

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Also, here are some of the books that seem like must reads and/or ongoing theological study resources. The first three are concise theologies that will help you define and understand a wide array of theological topics. They are all very useful and a step up from what you'll find at a place like GotQuestions.org.

Concise Theology - Dr. J. I. Packer​

Also, these two books are classic theological must reads, both by C.S. Lewis, both free to read online.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis​
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis​

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - this is a great online library resource, just FYI: Home - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, here are some of the books that seem like must reads and/or ongoing theological study resources. The first three are concise theologies that will help you define and understand a wide array of theological topics. They are all very useful and a step up from what you'll find at a place like GotQuestions.org.

Concise Theology - Dr. J. I. Packer​

Also, these two books are classic theological must reads, both by C.S. Lewis, both free to read online.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis​
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis​

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - this is a great online library resource, just FYI: Home - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
David I want to commend you on your dedication to helping others over the many years you have been on Christian Forum! You always offer a wide variety of options but they are all finely honed to the advantage of the person asking the question!

Upvote 0

A servant of the Kings

Dec 28, 2023
Gotland
✟1,417.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Kindly start like the bible starts:

God has spoken to me, and guided me to understand, that we must follow Him

And start like He starts, as described in Genesis 1, to separate between heaven and earth, light and darkness, good and evil.

If you have received His heart after being born again and can feel it, it will help you greatly.

After good and evil is separated, you must repent from the darkness, and choose light

Luke 24:47 "and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

it is cause "8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light"

We cannot approach Him Who is Pure without cleaning, it is the way that leads towards Him

3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as Christ is pure.

If you wish I will answer you more in detail, and or ask guidance from Jesus for you.

I am happy to serve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again @Lily76_, I should probably explain one of my book recommendations to you in case you don't know anything about it, because it is such an odd read if you don't know what you're in for ;)

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis is a collection of fictional short stories that have to do with spiritual warfare. The first oddity, particularly for a Christian classic, is that Lewis wrote the stories from the demons POV (basically, the stories are an ongoing correspondence between two demons, Screwtape and Wormwood, a master and an apprentice).

Another oddity is that we (Christians) are referred to by the demons as their "patients", and God is most often referred to as "The Enemy" (remember, this is all from the demons POV).

While knowing/understanding the truth (God's word), as well as believing/trusting the One who had it written down for us are the principal keys to resisting the devil and his attacks against us, The Screwtape Letters will help you understand how they think, what they do and why, etc., and how, then, to recognize their attacks for exactly what they are, far more quickly.

It is a great read, and one that I believe will be a blessing to you :)

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - be sure to read the preface and any other introductory material before beginning to read the book, as that will be helpful to you as well.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I joined Mormonism because I knew very little about the Bible, but they have bizarre teachings! If people questioned their teachings, you were accused of sin. Several years afterward, I prayed for the true God's leading.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; PROVERBS 3:5,6

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. PSALM 119:11

Romans 3:10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, ...​

1704765084092.png
Bible Hub
https://biblehub.com › romans › 3-10

The Scriptures tell us, "No one is acceptable to God! ... As it is written: There is not any man just. ... as Scripture says, "Not one person has God's approval.

Parallel Commentaries · ‎3:9 ·

I use Bible Hub a lot.

Two other sources are: Desiring God and Grace to You. :heart:

Desiring God and Grace to You

God bless you!

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you're thinking about Bible college, one way to get an idea of what that might be like, and if it might suit you, would be to have a look at the book lists for introductory subjects at a college of your choice, and choose one or two to read.

Upvote 0

A servant of the Kings

Dec 28, 2023
Gotland
✟1,417.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I joined Mormonism because I knew very little about the Bible, but they have bizarre teachings! If people questioned their teachings, you were accused of sin. Several years afterward, I prayed for the true God's leading.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; PROVERBS 3:5,6

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. PSALM 119:11

Romans 3:10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, ...

View attachment 341156
Bible Hub
https://biblehub.com › romans › 3-10

The Scriptures tell us, "No one is acceptable to God! ... As it is written: There is not any man just. ... as Scripture says, "Not one person has God's approval.

Parallel Commentaries · ‎3:9 ·

I use Bible Hub a lot.

Two other sources are: Desiring God and Grace to You. :heart:

Desiring God and Grace to You

God bless you!

What you write is true in that no one is perfectly pure, God is Pure.

But it is not true if you are saying that God does not appoint people to whom He will give word, the task to spread the word and such:

…10He who descended is the very One who ascended above all the heavens, in order to fill all things. 11And it was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to equip the saints for works of ministry and to build up the body of Christ,…

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What you write is true in that no one is perfectly pure, God is Pure.

But it is not true if you are saying that God does not appoint people to whom He will give word, the task to spread the word and such:

…10He who descended is the very One who ascended above all the heavens, in order to fill all things. 11And it was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to equip the saints for works of ministry and to build up the body of Christ,…
I'm confused by this post of yours. I didn't say that God doesn't want us to do His will. He gave us 66 books in the Bible.

Hebrews 1
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God's word is true, all of it, and is a perfect guide for our lives. Do you agree or disagree?

Upvote 0

A servant of the Kings

Dec 28, 2023
Gotland
✟1,417.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm confused by this post of yours. I didn't say that God doesn't want us to do His will. He gave us 66 books in the Bible.

Hebrews 1
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God's word is true, all of it, and is a perfect guide for our lives. Do you agree or disagree?

Yes that is the reason Father has asked me not to bring something new, but to explain what Jesus has already told us.

Jesus teachings will not work when people skip large parts of it, for example the eye that can see the light of God, it is extremely important, as we can hear Jesus explain below. Not all prophets are to bring anything new to the table, and after Jesus Who is the greatest of Prophets came to earth, it is complete, nothing more is needed.

But what He taught, that is needed!

Jesus is also the greatest of teachers, no one should expect that His teachings will work if you do not understand more than 20% of them, and thus follow Him at 20%

21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!…

But to accept the aid of a prophet sent by God to help is indeed a matter of choice, no one is forcing anyone. And if you are in a position to get guidance directly from Jesus, that is the best.

But it is very dangerous for people following blind guides, as Jesus tells us in the bible, cause they will all end up in the pit.

So if you need explaining, if you do not understand the lamps, the seven spirits of God before the throne, that the Kingdom is within, that God is Light, That He is Love, that the wedding of the King for His son is a must, or any other very important thing, then do not take advice from the blind, it will not take you where you want to go.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Bible study is a great way to learn Christian doctrine.

You should get a file or notebook and choose to learn about a few topics as a start.

As a catholic you would already know about some key doctrines -

1. The Bible as the inspired Word of God
2. The Trinity (Triune Godhead) as God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.

Many Christians affirm the idea of testing everything by the Bible, all doctrine , tradition and practice tested by the Bible as we see in two key Bible texts.
Mark 7:7-13 - Christ applies the "sola scriptura" test to the church leadership of His own day.
Acts 17:11 - the "sola scriptura" testing method as applied to the Apostle Paul's teaching - showing him to be approved.

Here is a link to a commentary on the life of Christ that you may find helpful -
The Desire of Ages

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes that is the reason Father has asked me not to bring something new, but to explain what Jesus has already told us.

Jesus teachings will not work when people skip large parts of it, for example the eye that can see the light of God, it is extremely important, as we can hear Jesus explain below. Not all prophets are to bring anything new to the table, and after Jesus Who is the greatest of Prophets came to earth, it is complete, nothing more is needed.

But what He taught, that is needed!

Jesus is also the greatest of teachers, no one should expect that His teachings will work if you do not understand more than 20% of them, and thus follow Him at 20%

21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!…

But to accept the aid of a prophet sent by God to help is indeed a matter of choice, no one is forcing anyone. And if you are in a position to get guidance directly from Jesus, that is the best.

But it is very dangerous for people following blind guides, as Jesus tells us in the bible, cause they will all end up in the pit.

So if you need explaining, if you do not understand the lamps, the seven spirits of God before the throne, that the Kingdom is within, that God is Light, That He is Love, that the wedding of the King for His son is a must, or any other very important thing, then do not take advice from the blind, it will not take you where you want to go.
It seems you are blind. The 66 books of the Bible do not lead astray except when imposters come in pretending to be Christians. You already have proven you don't understand the Bible. The apostles and prophets are the foundation of the church and Christ is the chief cornerstone, not a blind leader! God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit! Prophets were leaders in the Old Covenant. Jesus is resurrected. He is the chief cornerstone Who still leads His sheep.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

We are in these last days!

In the past are not the last days!

Hebrews 1
1In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.

JESUS is not a prophet. He is GOD our Creator! Lily76_ knows that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0