✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
nothing concrete

They actually had that info on the program and also said it was stolen from Constantinople during the crusades, which I was glad about because these shroud programs never say that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They actually had that info on the program and also said it was stolen from Constantinople during the crusades, which I was glad about because these shroud programs never say that.

eeeeeenteresting

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so, you only came on here to belittle someone you don't know.

I don't think he is the one who needs to grow up.
I don't respect people who go beyond what is written in scripture. Which is what this thread is doing. Sorry, it's absurd to me. My faith rests in the word of God plus nothing. No miracles, signs, wonders. Doing a DNA test on the shroud is building with wood hay stubble. Don't take it personally. I'm no angel. Just my thoughts on the subject

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't respect people who go beyond what is written in scripture. Which is what this thread is doing. Sorry, it's absurd to me. My faith rests in the word of God plus nothing. No miracles, signs, wonders. Doing a DNA test on the shroud is building with wood hay stubble. Don't take it personally. I'm no angel. Just my thoughts on the subject

So WHO put that Scripture together? What about other writings? Gospel of Thomas...Gospel of Judas? WHY are they or aren't they Scripture...who decided?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

no one asked you your opinion on the matter, so the fact that you went out of your way for the sole purpose of insulting someone else who was doing nothing on here to you, is a complete lack of maturity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
no one asked you your opinion on the matter, so the fact that you went out of your way for the sole purpose of insulting someone else who was doing nothing on here to you, is a complete lack of maturity.

Just another troll Matt...with nothing to add.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just another troll Matt...with nothing to add.

I know, but it's always good to put out there how little someone's personal opinion matters when it comes to theology, especially when it is rudely given

Upvote 0

KernelPanic

Jan 13, 2017
US
✟27,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's what the legend says. That doesn't mean it's true. The History channel isn't exactly known for accurate reporting these days.

The problem is that its origin is still undetermined.

Uncovering the sources of DNA found on the Turin Shroud : Scientific Reports
In conclusion, our results on human mtDNA traces detected on the TS are compatible with both alternative scenarios that i) the cloth had a Medieval origin in Western Europe where people from different geographic regions and ethnic affiliations came in contact with it, possibly moved by the worship for the Christian relic; ii) the linen cloth had a Middle Eastern origin and was moved itself across the Mediterranean area, consequently coming across a wide range of local folks and devotes in a longer time span. Even in the latter case (i.e., Jerusalem in Israel until approximately 500 A.D., Şanliurfa in Turkey until 944, Constantinople in Turkey until 1204, Lirey and Chambery in France from 1353 until 1578, Turin in Italy to date)3, the detection of mtDNA haplogroups that are typically from India is somehow unexpected. One obvious possibility is that during the course of centuries, individuals of Indian ancestry came into contact with TS. Taking into account the rate of DNA degradation and PCR-biases toward undamaged DNA, the recent contamination scenario is extremely likely. However, one alternative and intriguing possibility is that the linen cloth was weaved in India, as supported perhaps by the original name of TS - Sindon - which appears to derive from Sindia or Sindien, a fabric coming from India.
We won't get any further answers until we know where the fabric came from.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You might take note of the forums you post in. Particularly the congregational forums (which this is one). They are not intended for debate but for the faith group they represent.

Having come from an evangelical background, I understand the emphasis on Scripture, and it is true that the Catholics particularly went a bit too far building on what they began with, so I understand the backlash and that it is rooted in a desire not to be led astray. However, you may not know the vast treasury of knowledge left by the Early Church, indeed, the Councils are what ratified Scripture AS Scripture, and Orthodoxy has maintained that knowledge and focus from the time of the Apostles and their successors. So folks here don't always take kindly to someone coming in, especially in an insulting manner, when you actually really don't know what we believe, or why, or where it comes from.

The Shroud of Turin is a minor point, not specifically attested to by the Apostles or the early Church, so at best it is something of a curiosity for us, but not a dogmatic proof of anything, and some skepticism is in order. However ... it would be nice if we could discuss our thoughts without being insulted by outsiders in the process.

Peace to you.

Upvote 0

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might take note of the forums you post in. Particularly the congregational forums (which this is one). They are not intended for debate but for the faith group they represent.

Having come from an evangelical background, I understand the emphasis on Scripture, and it is true that the Catholics particularly went a bit too far building on what they began with, so I understand the backlash and that it is rooted in a desire not to be led astray. However, you may not know the vast treasury of knowledge left by the Early Church, indeed, the Councils are what ratified Scripture AS Scripture, and Orthodoxy has maintained that knowledge and focus from the time of the Apostles and their successors. So folks here don't always take kindly to someone coming in, especially in an insulting manner, when you actually really don't know what we believe, or why, or where it comes from.

The Shroud of Turin is a minor point, not specifically attested to by the Apostles or the early Church, so at best it is something of a curiosity for us, but not a dogmatic proof of anything, and some skepticism is in order. However ... it would be nice if we could discuss our thoughts without being insulted by outsiders in the process.

Peace to you.
Copy that.

Upvote 0