Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Basically they took maternal mtDNA from the shroud and it showed a Druze signature (so Mary's family descendants are likely in the Druze population). His blood type was AB. I wondered why the did not run a yDNA for paternal...

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Basically they took maternal mtDNA from the shroud and it showed a Druze signature (so Mary's family descendants are likely in the Druze population). His blood type was AB. I wondered why the did not run a yDNA for paternal...
never mind found it

Upvote 0

Maxyss

Apr 17, 2017
Houston
✟8,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Druze angle was very strange. They didn't even come into existence until 1017, as a spin off of Shia Islam. They "evolved" from there into the Unitarians they are today. Many of the religious ideas they have didn't even come into existence until well after the death and resurrection of Jesus.
Jesus wouldn't have know them to be any different than any other native of the region.
I appreciate the fact they interviewed Druze's from down the road from Nazareth. Their conclave, Isfiya, is actually built on a 5th Century Jewish town named Husifah.
The takeaway from this show should be the DNA from the shroud confirms that the blood is from a person of ancient Jewish decent, or from the land of ancient Israel and Judea, which we, as Christians knew anyway. Thanks for Jesus' address, but we Christians have already been corresponding for some time LOL.
I really take offense when Nat Geo and company spin things. The only purpose of singling out the Druze is to attempt to convince people that Jesus believed that all religions lead to Heaven. By supposing to lump him in with this group, that didn't even exist when he did, they wanted to show him as a unitarian. The Bible clearly tells us that is not the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Druze angle was very strange. They didn't even come into existence until 1017, as a spin off of Shia Islam. They "evolved" from there into the Unitarians they are today. Many of the religious ideas they have didn't even come into existence until well after the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Druze prior to 1017 were probably a mix of Jews and Arabs. All the test showed was that the mtDNA (maternal) on the shroud was closest to the rare haplotype of current Druze today.

Reactions: Maxyss
Upvote 0

Maxyss

Apr 17, 2017
Houston
✟8,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Druze prior to 1017 were probably a mix of Jews and Arabs. All the test showed was that the mtDNA (maternal) on the shroud was closest to the rare haplotype of current Druze today.
I agree with that, but they wouldn't have been "Druze" before 1017, true? So what would they have been called, I wonder?
I do need to study the terminology of DNA studies a bit further to become more versed.
Thanks for the note!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The shroud is an enigma; science can't say what it is and if it's a fake, they should be able to.
Real or not, I think its fascinating.

oh there is no doubt it is a fascinating piece of history

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
because the shroud has been handled by so many people over the years I don't think any reading would be accurate.

They can isolate the blood though.

Reactions: Maxyss
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
oh there is no doubt it is a fascinating piece of history

It was yet another Eastern Orthodox relic that the RCC stole during the "Crusades".

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
really? is there a history prior to the Middle Ages? cause that would be neat.

Of course there is! It went from Yerushalayim (Jerusalem for Greggy) to Edessa to Constantinople where it was stolen. It is my theory that it was used during Holy Week to celebrate the liturgy over, which is why I think most all orthodox churches have Epitaphions/Plaschanitsas...copies of the shroud that was once in Constantinople. The Ethiopean Orthodox have a similar custom with replicas of the Ark in every church (tabot).

Upvote 0

Maxyss

Apr 17, 2017
Houston
✟8,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They can isolate the blood though.
I really figured they were going to "find" European DNA or "prove" Jesus had offspring. Despite the shortcomings of the show, they did a pretty good job staying fairly balanced.
I would enjoy seeing them share their sequencing data and processes with independent geneticist though. It would be interesting to hear what they thought about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maxyss

Apr 17, 2017
Houston
✟8,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone else find in interesting that they could only test Mitochondrial DNA (maternal) from the blood on the shroud?
Update:
OK, I just educated myself a bit, I think, and if I understood what I read correctly, mitochondrial DNA is the only type of DNA that can be extracted from blood cells, since they don't have nuclei.
Update 2:
Nope, that doesn't work either, since blood cells don't have mitochondrial DNA. So from the blood clot they had, it must have other components, that survived, that had mitochondrial DNA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course there is! It went from Yerushalayim (Jerusalem for Greggy) to Edessa to Constantinople where it was stolen. It is my theory that it was used during Holy Week to celebrate the liturgy over, which is why I think most all orthodox churches have Epitaphions/Plaschanitsas...copies of the shroud that was once in Constantinople. The Ethiopean Orthodox have a similar custom with replicas of the Ark in every church (tabot).

hmmm, where is that earlier info?

Upvote 0