Any lawyers here? Could Trump go to jail if convicted of unlawfully taking the Classified documents?

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,337.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
Any practicing lawyers on these forums? As an Aussie I just don't know - but would love to hear discussion on whether Trump could go to jail over the allegedly stolen Classified documents. Anyone know?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hi all,
Any practicing lawyers on these forums? As an Aussie I just don't know - but would love to hear discussion on whether Trump could go to jail over the allegedly stolen Classified documents. Anyone know?

IANAL

What reason would stop him from going to prison if he were convicted? As I understand it, many of the charges come with sentencing guidelines in the decade range. So yes, prison is a real possibility.

That said, nothing prevents an imprisoned Trump from standing for election.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,337.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seriously - it's a different legal case but these tapes of him ORDERING and PLEADING and WHINING to have governors completely stack their electoral ballots in his favour are just unreal! The way he tried to threaten the governors that what they were doing was illegal, and then pleaded his narcissistic, delusional case about stacked ballots, shredded ballots, removed machines, vandalised machines etc - "have you heard anything about that?" again and again and again - I honestly don't know how the governors that had to listen to this delusional, fantastical whining kept their cool!

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,

This attorney was a Navy prosecutor and then a federal prosecutor. Lots of experience.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not very likely. As with most high-level, wealthy businessmen, he usually has someone else on tap to go to jail for him (scapegoat).

This isn't some shady business transaction he can lay on the Senior Executive VP for Finance. These were documents on his property that he handled and that no one else there had ever had any rights to possess (he did once, but that expired at Noon on 20 Jan 2021). No one can take the fall for him on this one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, from what is being reported, his lawyers are now being questioned by the special counsel Jack Smith. Even Rudy Giulliani has testified. So evidence against him is mounting on multiple fronts.

Reactions: eclipsenow
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This isn't some shady business transaction he can lay on the Senior Executive VP for Finance. These were documents on his property that he handled and that no one else there had ever had any rights to possess (he did once, but that expired at Noon on 20 Jan 2021). No one can take the fall for him on this one.

I am too cynical to believe there is any chance that if convicted, he would serve any time whatsoever. I still tend to figure he has a fall guy lined up so he won't even be convicted There are at the minimum two justice systems in the US. The average one, and the one for the wealthy. The percentages are in his favor as the wealthy rarely are convicted, and when convicted, rarely serve any time.

Just my cynical self speaking, no worries.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am too cynical to believe there is any chance that if convicted, he would serve any time whatsoever. I still tend to figure he has a fall guy lined up so he won't even be convicted There are at the minimum two justice systems in the US. The average one, and the one for the wealthy. The percentages are in his favor as the wealthy rarely are convicted, and when convicted, rarely serve any time.

He may not serve time if convicted, but it won't be because he's got a fall guy. It'll either be because he is elected President or because the judge won't order him to confinement with his Secret Service detail.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,337.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He may not serve time if convicted, but it won't be because he's got a fall guy. It'll either be because he is elected President or because the judge won't order him to confinement with his Secret Service detail.
This is exactly what I'm trying to understand. Is it even feasible for an ex-President to serve time in jail?
Even if they desperately deserve it?
I'd sentence him to life.
On top of that every day he would be forced to watch a 5 minute video recap of his dumbest moments - and comedian's reactions to them. So can can, maybe, just maybe, get a clue about his place in the world?

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
On top of that every day he would be forced to watch a 5 minute video recap of his dumbest moments - and comedian's reactions to them. So can can, maybe, just maybe, get a clue about his place in the world?
I dunno....much as I think he deserves it, it would probably be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

-- A2SG, there is no constitutional provision for irony.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There are reasons that a reasonable judge could consider enough to keep him out of jail. The biggest one is that, not to beat around the bush, he's old. I can see many judges hesitating to throw a almost 80 year old man into jail, even a Club Fed.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is exactly what I'm trying to understand. Is it even feasible for an ex-President to serve time in jail?
Even if they desperately deserve it?
I'd sentence him to life.

There is a golf course in New Jersey with an isolated house on the grounds that could be converted. Put up a fence with a guard gate. Limited visitors with supervision. Cable TV. Limited access to fully monitored land line and internet. Prisoner funded daily visits from cleaner and cook. It could work.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Even house confinement would be a step towards equal justice.

Upvote 0