Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree there are a few places early in the old testament that mention an anointing of things even a shield, but these things are obviously Holy items in the verse you have provided. There is no reference in the New Testament and we are under the "new covenant" now.
Blessings
First there is no verse that indicates the old covenant is done away with. Yes, Christ fulfilled the Old Covenant but that's different from suggesting it is no longer valid altogether. That's a much bigger topic for a different discussion.

That aside, generally speaking we would agree that the Holy Chrism is reserved for items set apart for worship. This would explain why the walls of a house can sometimes be anointed in that fashion, as every home should have an alter/place of prayer. The Orthodox custom of the House Blessing typically utilizes the holy water blessed at Theophany. Ordinary items such as cars are blessed ( the evangelical circles I previously was in would say "dedicated") with prayers and holy water, not chrism. Chrism for people, holy water for items but there could/can be exceptions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 19:12

so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.
I understand the connection however ,these items were not anointed with oil in order to make them healing tools. God provided a miracle to Paul therefore a different circumstance when comparing the random anointing of homes.

Acts 19
11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:
12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

Upvote 0

Calvin_1985

Sep 1, 2018
Roanoke
✟22,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything about Christianity is controversial to some other Christian. Years ago, I read a post by some wackadoo here on CF saying it was sinful to read Sacred Scripture in anything other than Hebrew or Greek. He thought my English Bible meant that I had one foot in Hell. It was a very controversial idea to him.

This section (e.g., Controversial Theology) is meant to be about stuff that mainstream Christianity is, at best, a little uncomfortable with. The anointing or the blessing of one's home is mainstream practice no matter how much a scant minority might have a problem with it.
Where in the world did that person come to believe that?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First there is no verse that indicates the old covenant is done away with. Yes, Christ fulfilled the Old Covenant but that's different from suggesting it is no longer valid altogether. That's a much bigger topic for a different discussion.

That aside, generally speaking we would agree that the Holy Chrism is reserved for items set apart for worship. This would explain why the walls of a house can sometimes be anointed in that fashion, as every home should have an alter/place of prayer. The Orthodox custom of the House Blessing typically utilizes the holy water blessed at Theophany. Ordinary items such as cars are blessed ( the evangelical circles I previously was in would say "dedicated") with prayers and holy water, not chrism. Rule of thumb being: chrism for people, holy water for items.
Respectfully, I never said it is no longer valid however it is fulfilled in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. And yes this subject is a big topic for many. Since I am not of your religious persuasion, I can not comment on the rest of the practices you have mentioned.

Romans
14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where in the world did that person come to believe that?
I did not ask. I find that the best approach with crazy people is to smile, nod your head and back away slowly.

If I had to guess, I’d venture it might’ve been based on 2 Timothy, e.g., “all scripture is God-breathed”. Forgive me for not providing the citation but my phone is acting goofy right now.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yep. In the middle of the fight in my room with the dark presence, my roommates cat peaked it's head into my room and the Lord said "Put it into that cat!" So I said "Go into that cat" and the cat immediately jumped about 2 feet off the ground and ran downstairs. Then God said "It's in the cat" and had me follow it downstairs where I cast it out of the cat and into the basement. Right when I said "Get into the basement!" the furnace down there flicked on and started blowing like crazy. It was a wild night. Then God led me into the creepy old dusty basement (which I was initially terrified to do), and had me cast the demon out of the basement, off the entire property, and specifically to the West. Kind of like the sun that rises in the East and chases the Darkness Westward.
I am decerning that something is off about what is being said. This really happened?

Its not that i am saying i dont believe you but something seems off.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am decerning that something is off about what is being said. This really happened?

Its not that i am saying i dont believe you but something seems off.

Yes. This really happened. It was about 8-9 years ago when I lived on Parkview street on the near East-side of Indianapolis. And I've shared it as accurately as I can remember. It's just a personal example of the spiritual warfare I've been in and how it included praying for house/property/territory like the OP brought up. I don't know what it seems "off" from. Satan came to Jesus regularly. And he attacks Christians on a regular basis. There have been other times when Satan came to me, sometimes in spirit form only, but other times thru possessed people. One for example had the Mark of the Beast on his right hand ("Xes", which was interpreted as 666 in Scripture). His name was Daniel Dennis.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes. This really happened. It was about 8-9 years ago when I lived on Parkview street on the near East-side of Indianapolis. And I've shared it as accurately as I can remember. It's just a personal example of the spiritual warfare I've been in and how it included praying for house/property/territory like the OP brought up. I don't know what it seems "off" from. Satan came to Jesus regularly. And he attacks Christians on a regular basis. There have been other times when Satan came to me, sometimes in spirit form only, but other times thru possessed people. One for example had the Mark of the Beast on his right hand ("Xes", which was interpreted as 666 in Scripture). His name was Daniel Dennis.
Ah ok just making sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I did not ask. I find that the best approach with crazy people is to smile, nod your head and back away slowly.

If I had to guess, I’d venture it might’ve been based on 2 Timothy, e.g., “all scripture is God-breathed”. Forgive me for not providing the citation but my phone is acting goofy right now.
Jesus did things that were deemed crazy...ie mud into eyes. I wouldnt be quick to call people crazy.

Upvote 0

Calvin_1985

Sep 1, 2018
Roanoke
✟22,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Weird if you ask me.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did things that were deemed crazy...ie mud into eyes. I wouldnt be quick to call people crazy.
This former member called people Hell-bound because they didn't want to learn Hebrew and Greek in order to read the scriptures in the original languages.

And you're saying you don't think that's a crazy opinion?

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This former member called people Hell-bound because they didn't want to learn Hebrew and Greek in order to read the scriptures in the original languages.

And you're saying you don't think that's a crazy opinion?
We are all crazy in one way or another. I wouldnt jump to it. Imho

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are all crazy in one way or another. I wouldnt jump to it. Imho
Boy oh boy, it's a good thing CF has such strict rules because, golly, your post is so interesting.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Boy oh boy, it's a good thing CF has such strict rules because, golly, your post is so interesting.
Sacasism is not appriciated. I was only saying my opinion. How is that helpful or edifying?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand the connection however ,these items were not anointed with oil in order to make them healing tools. God provided a miracle to Paul therefore a different circumstance when comparing the random anointing of homes.

Acts 19
11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:
12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.
John 14:12

So we can do greater works than Jesus but not Paul?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 14:12

So we can do greater works than Jesus but not Paul?
Greater = more in quantity not in substance. And I do not follow you on your question. Jesus did the greatest work of all. The Apostle's did a great number of works after Christ left us.

Upvote 0