Visit site
✟877,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I felt there should be some announcement just because it involves rights and elections and all that in this setting.

I no longer consider myself Adventist. This is not at all what I expected for my life. But it is where I am at. I will be changing my icon immediately.

I hold no ill will against the church. It taught me about Christ and was my spiritual home for many years. But I cannot agree with it any longer.

I was going to stay as a progressive, but that just isn't working.

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I felt there should be some announcement just because it involves rights and elections and all that in this setting.

I no longer consider myself Adventist. This is not at all what I expected for my life. But it is where I am at. I will be changing my icon immediately.

I hold no ill will against the church. It taught me about Christ and was my spiritual home for many years. But I cannot agree with it any longer.

you are what you are, and what you have always been.... one of His Children.... love ya man, don't stress....

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Blessings to you and your family on your journey!

1 Cor 2 "9 But as it is written:
“ Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think Seventh Day Adventists encompass a much wider spectrum of belief then most people think. Even in the area that we think of as Traditional Adventists you see a wide difference in opinions. They range from Semi Arian to Trinitarian to Tri-theism. From Prelapsarian to Postlapsarian views of Christ Nature. From perfectionism to grace oriented.

As Walter Martin would often say the SDA church is not a monolith. Graham Maxwell would often say when asked if he was an Adventist, he would ask them what they thought an Adventist was and he would tell them if he was what they said or not.

In the main I don't want to ever be identified with what most Traditional SDA's represent as their beliefs. But I don't think that they make up the SDA church. They are but one part of the church they are the old part of the church the part that is stuck 50-60 years in the past. But that is probably not really what Adventist means anymore. Think of what a Republican or a Democrat was 50 or 60 years ago to what they are today. Organizations constantly change they react to the world around them and find their place accordingly. Adventism is in that state of flux now, I hate to see us lose the progressive thinking Adventist just because there is a perception that Traditional Adventism is the only form that Adventism takes.

Of course we all have different needs and if you can find a place that fits you better that is where you should go. Reformation is never an easy task. I certainly understand the idea of looking for that better fit. It is harder for me as I no longer accept penal atonement theory and its accompanying legal fiction where we hide behind the robe of Christ's righteousness etc. So it makes it a little harder to just go out and find another denomination to fit in with. Christianity as a whole has to change and it matters very little what denomination begins the change, the change has to come however. We have to build a religion that makes sense to a thinking world. Now Christianity is only growing in the third world but knowledge will increase and someday they will be where the first world is now and they will ask the same questions as modern Americans and Europeans and Canadians. Christianity will progress even with many kicking and screaming no.

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As this topic was posted in the Main SDA Forum, as an announcement, not intended for debate, otherwise, it shouldn't have been posted here, I suggest those replying be careful in their response so as to not provoke any debating here.

As you can see, I am not saying this with my Mod Hat On, but am only giving out a word of caution.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you not still working with the people from Andrews University, or have you also given that up?

My visit was a month ago and I have done some email exchanges and still been reading every day from various texts. But that was the last ditch effort. It is now a year and a half since I started studying this one topic and I think I am fairly satisfied now that Adventism doesn't have the answers I am looking for after going over the major resources that the church has on the issue of the sanctuary.

At some point what more can be said?

I also find myself disagreeing on a number of other issues, incuding EGW who's thought is pervasive. There is no reason to stay in a church that requires me to believe these things when I can go to another church that requires a less strict creed that I can actually consent to. We say the 28 are not a creed, but they certainly are.

I just cannot accept the "system of truth" any more. So there is no reason to stay hoping that will change.

I am still reading on my own over all the Adventist doctrines. If I am making a mistake I can only ask the Lord to correct me. But at this time I have to act on my convictions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As this topic was posted in the Main SDA Forum, as an announcement, not intended for debate, otherwise, it shouldn't have been posted here, I suggest those replying be careful in their response so as to not provoke any debating here.

As you can see, I am not saying this with my Mod Hat On, but am only giving out a word of caution.

If this is going to be an issue then please just move it to the debate section. I don't see much to debate really as this hinges on personal conviction. But it may be better to simply avoid conflicts with the rules in this fashion.

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As a first generation SDA coming from two other church denominations, the United Church of Canada, where my parents sent me to as a child, to the United Baptist Church, where I found a personal relationship with Christ, to the SDA Church, which, after working to refute certain doctrines, I found to be the church closest to biblical truth than any other church denomination.

This is why I am here, and, unless I see another church denomination closest to the truth than this one, here is where I plan to stay.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My visit was a month ago and I have done some email exchanges and still been reading every day from various texts. But that was the last ditch effort. It is now a year and a half since I started studying this one topic and I think I am fairly satisfied now that Adventism doesn't have the answers I am looking for after going over the major resources that the church has on the issue of the sanctuary.

At some point what more can be said?

I also find myself disagreeing on a number of other issues, incuding EGW who's thought is pervasive. There is no reason to stay in a church that requires me to believe these things when I can go to another church that requires a less strict creed that I can actually consent to. We say the 28 are not a creed, but they certainly are.

I just cannot accept the "system of truth" any more. So there is no reason to stay hoping that will change.

I am still reading on my own over all the Adventist doctrines. If I am making a mistake I can only ask the Lord to correct me. But at this time I have to act on my convictions.
When the Holy Spirit gives you convictions, you have to follow them. May God bless you and your family. He is always faithful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear that you couldn't find the answers you needed, Tall. :( I'll be praying God guides you to where you need to be. Its great you kept to your convictions, though.

Does this mean Sophia is leaving too..?

Yes. I have also been studying for the past year-and-a-half. I've gone back and forth so many times, wondering whether I should stay in the church or leave. I grew up in the Adventist Church, and it will always be a part of who I am, but I'm at the point now where I feel that I disagree on too many things to call myself an Adventist. As my husband said, we do have a creed, and I can't accept that creed anymore. I've always said that I'm a Christian first and foremost and that if anything that I was taught in Adventism contradicted the Bible, I would have to go by the Bible. That's where I am now, and I am at peace with this decision because I truly believe that the Holy Spirit is guiding our steps.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

~ ¤ Love. It's in you. ¤ ~
Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Yes. I have also been studying for the past year-and-a-half. I've gone back and forth so many times, wondering whether I should stay in the church or leave. I grew up in the Adventist Church, and it will always be a part of who I am, but I'm at the point now where I feel that I disagree on too many things to call myself an Adventist. As my husband said, we do have a creed, and I can't accept that creed anymore. I've always said that I'm a Christian first and foremost and that if anything that I was taught in Adventism contradicted the Bible, I would have to go by the Bible. That's where I am now, and I am at peace with this decision because I truly believe that the Holy Spirit is guiding our steps.
Glad you have found peace with it, then. :)

I have no idea where the Spirit will lead me..but am content to stay here for now. My knowledge of scripture is so limited at the moment that I'm best not to consider changing untill I have a better understanding. Of course, if it was contradicting something I do know..I would more than likely do the same thing as you two.

(At least I'd hope so. I've fought so hard to be accepted as an Adventist and still do..it's not easy to step back and admit people could be wrong sometimes, after doing so)

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
This is why I am here, and, unless I see another church denomination closest to the truth than this one, here is where I plan to stay.
But how do you decide what the truth is? I think you meant "closest to the truth" as you see it.

Upvote 0