United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Disclaimer:

For the record, I hold no ill will towards any Christian, progressive or otherwise. The below reflects one man’s observations and concerns. For me, historical Christianity holds the highest of value, a pearl of the greatest price! Jesus truly saved my life. What started out as a simple faith at the age of fifteen developed into a Catholic faith at thirty, which continues to this day.

At Issue

According to my observations, progressive Catholicism (and progressive Christianity as a whole) attempts to replace historic Catholicism/Christianity with something more reflective on the culture in which it lives. This “Christianity,” in turn, became an image of itself reflected in a cultural mirror dimly. Some progressive Catholics think this move towards “cultural relevance” represents the key to curtailing and replenishing diminished numbers. “Get buns back in the pews,” as it were, by making the Church look more like the culture in which it lives.

However, as witnessed in the West, especially Europe, the movement towards a more progressive and “culturally relevant” Catholicism does not guarantee growth, it accelerates decline. Conversely, in places that embrace historical Catholicism, like Africa, Asia, South America, and parts of North America that stand counter to culture, Catholicism grows. Progressive Catholicism is NOT the answer.

Continued below.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Disclaimer:

For the record, I hold no ill will towards any Christian, progressive or otherwise. The below reflects one man’s observations and concerns. For me, historical Christianity holds the highest of value, a pearl of the greatest price! Jesus truly saved my life. What started out as a simple faith at the age of fifteen developed into a Catholic faith at thirty, which continues to this day.

At Issue

According to my observations, progressive Catholicism (and progressive Christianity as a whole) attempts to replace historic Catholicism/Christianity with something more reflective on the culture in which it lives. This “Christianity,” in turn, became an image of itself reflected in a cultural mirror dimly. Some progressive Catholics think this move towards “cultural relevance” represents the key to curtailing and replenishing diminished numbers. “Get buns back in the pews,” as it were, by making the Church look more like the culture in which it lives.

However, as witnessed in the West, especially Europe, the movement towards a more progressive and “culturally relevant” Catholicism does not guarantee growth, it accelerates decline. Conversely, in places that embrace historical Catholicism, like Africa, Asia, South America, and parts of North America that stand counter to culture, Catholicism grows. Progressive Catholicism is NOT the answer.

Continued below.
Only "faithful" Catholicism is the answer. Any adjective modifying Catholicism is changing it for the worse, not for the better!

Upvote 0