Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anything that pertains to our faith or clergy, being involved in or speaks about politically can remain in OBOB is my understanding.
If this is the outcome then I think closing OBOB Politics is a good idea. My question is, all of those threads in the main OBOB forum, will they be relocated to Politics? Looking at the main OBOB page, about 6/10 of the top threads have political tones. Threads about abortion, nuns at the SCOTUS, state senate hearings, Papal refugee commentary, police matters, etc.

How many of those subjects would essentially be Politics territory and not OBOB? What's to stop anyone placing a political subject in a religious context and overriding the rules that would get it moved to Politics? Is there set, clear criteria dictating what threads go where?

Just curious.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I knew I'd find one I could address. :)

There's no conspiracy against Catholics.

I didn't say there was a conspiracy, but it's nice that you presented that strawman. CF has a long history of minimizing Catholics and has made several efforts, by members in private discussions, to accomplish the minimization deliberately.

Not by staff, anyway. TG is one of our more revered staffers. And to my knowledge, he's never voiced any complaint that hints of such.

Well, it's good that you have a token Catholic.

When a report comes in, we don't look at it and hope it's a Catholic that we can minimize. We just look to see if it's in violation or not. That's it. There have been no meetings or missives to minimize or marginalize Cathedrals.

I'll ignore the psychological evaluation of the last word. You actually do see the faith status of the person and person being reported. You made a big deal about it for a reason. But you have a justification for requiring people to label themselves and I don't need to read it again.

Some Admins voted to close it because of spiritual concerns. I'm just pragmatic and voted to close it because of the number of reports, and because there's a new place for Christians to engage in political discussion.

And that's where you are killing yourselves. You go for whatever makes the least reports. Good job - reports mean people are listening and interested. You are just killing the very thing helping you.

Please do speak of these "spiritual concerns." Are people threatening to worship Satan because they are choosing to read topics in a section they want to close? Christian political discussion is really boring and unappealing. Do you think Catholics enjoy simple bible quotes as a defense to an argument, threats to salvation, or the general nonsense of GT?

That sounds real fun.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I echo this.

It was not the complaints of a few, it was many complaints and reports.

So...

People who wanted to close a section were reading the topics and reported it.
Or people who read a section and had issues with it, you addressed by closing it?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So as you all can see by the things I posted, Catholicism is always interested in politics and world events. It is part of Social Justice. And it is not even the tip of the iceberg. It comments from the most minimal things on up to the presidential election and world events. Seems a pretty wide berth just from the small amount of searching I have done.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say there was a conspiracy, but it's nice that you presented that strawman. CF has a long history of minimizing Catholics and has made several efforts, by members in private discussions, to accomplish the minimization deliberately.
It's a conspiracy theory because you have no evidence. We hear the same complaints from Protestants, Democrats, Republicans, etc. That's not even an exaggeration. It's all unfounded.

Well, it's good that you have a token Catholic.
Yes, we try to keep at least one brainwashed Catholic on staff at a high position. It gives us more credibility when we take steps to minimize Catholics. I guess you're on to us.

I'll ignore the psychological evaluation of the last word. You actually do see the faith status of the person and person being reported. You made a big deal about it for a reason. But you have a justification for requiring people to label themselves and I don't need to read it again.
I see the faith and forum of the person being reported. I just don't care. If it's a violation, they get actioned.

And that's where you are killing yourselves. You go for whatever makes the least reports. Good job - reports mean people are listening and interested. You are just killing the very thing helping you.
No, reports mean that people can't seem to have discussions without them devolving into flamefests. So I'm not sure how that helps.
Please do speak of these "spiritual concerns." Are people threatening to worship Satan because they are choosing to read topics in a section they want to close? Christian political discussion is really boring and unappealing. Do you think Catholics enjoy simple bible quotes as a defense to an argument, threats to salvation, or the general nonsense of GT?

As I've stated, the spiritual concerns are not mine. My concern is pragmatic.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's a conspiracy theory because you have no evidence. We hear the same complaints from Protestants, Democrats, Republicans, etc. That's not even an exaggeration. It's all unfounded.

Yes, we try to keep at least one brainwashed Catholic on staff at a high position. It gives us more credibility when we take steps to minimize Catholics. I guess you're on to us.

I see the faith and forum of the person being reported. I just don't care. If it's a violation, they get actioned.

No, reports mean that people can't seem to have discussions without them devolving into flamefests. So I'm not sure how that helps.

It's your forum. I don't see any reason for others to comment on this. I don't know bout anyone here, but I've ran a forum on a pay server and with the amount of traffic you get through here along with bandwidth for all the sig and the like, I'd say that you guys burn through a lot of cash keeping this site open for the use of it's membership.

I'm thinking that if people want to vote to keep or dispose of a forum, they need to help pay for and actually volenteer their own spare time to help moderate the place.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a conspiracy theory because you have no evidence.

No, you have presented a lovely little strawman. You have replied to my post by ignoring it, and building a nice little strawman to tear down. I never said there was any kind of a conspiracy. That was the strawman you built and for some reason still feel the need to tear down. You go right ahead and do that.

We hear the same complaints from Protestants, Democrats, Republicans, etc. That's not even an exaggeration. It's all unfounded.

This is just a further part of your attack against your own strawman. I never said there was a conspiracy theory. I simply pointed out what I know, which instead of addressing, you attack your strawmen of conspiracies.

What, to be clear, I am saying, is that staff have attempted, and continue to attempt, if only privately, an attempt to minimize Catholics on the forums. I really don't care.

I can only present you with the sincerity of what I know. I have said, what I have said. So, to prove it-
BRADFORD.
Totally unrelated to anything in this discussion (and someone I am against), but probably a dirty word you'd or others who do know would rather forget. Go put that in your staff forum. I have other keywords. I have a lot.

It's not weird you and FiC joined in so quickly.
2007. I have a lot of things to discuss.
Shall we? That will be fun for me.

Actually, that would be against your own policy.

No, reports are annoyances that interrupt gossip.

You claimed that... now you say you don't. Was that a quote from the beatitudes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, you have presented a lovely little strawman. You have replied to my post by ignoring it, and building a nice little strawman to tear down. I never said there was any kind of a conspiracy. That was the strawman you built and for some reason still feel the need to tear down. You go right ahead and do that.

This is just a further part of your attack against your own strawman. I never said there was a conspiracy theory. I simply pointed out what I know, which instead of addressing, you attack your strawmen of conspiracies.

What, to be clear, I am saying, is that staff have attempted, and continue to attempt, if only privately, an attempt to minimize Catholics on the forums. I really don't care.

I can only present you with the sincerity of what I know. I have said, what I have said. So, to prove it-
BRADFORD.
Totally unrelated to anything in this discussion (and someone I am against), but probably a dirty word you'd or others who do know would rather forget. Go put that in your staff forum. I have other keywords. I have a lot.

It's not weird you and FiC joined in so quickly.
2007. I have a lot of things to discuss.
Shall we? That will be fun for me.

Actually, that would be against your own policy.

No, reports are annoyances that interrupt gossip.

You claimed that... now you say you don't. Was that a quote from the beatitudes?
Once again, you have no evidence to support your claim, though you seem to think otherwise. Since there's no effort by anyone on staff at CF to minimize Catholics, there's nothing further to discuss.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's your forum. I don't see any reason for others to comment on this. I don't know bout anyone here, but I've ran a forum on a pay server and with the amount of traffic you get through here along with bandwidth for all the sig and the like, I'd say that you guys burn through a lot of cash keeping this site open for the use of it's membership.

I'm thinking that if people want to vote to keep or dispose of a forum, they need to help pay for and actually volenteer their own spare time to help moderate the place.

The server exists in the United States, and while accounts may be banned as they see fit, the content is considered the intellectual property of those posting it.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Once again, you have no evidence to support your claim, though you seem to think otherwise. Since there's no effort by anyone on staff at CF to minimize Catholics, there's nothing further to discuss.

Such a short post....
I have only not presented evidence of such. To be honest, to post such a thing would result in the removal of the post - and my being banned. Therefore, I gave you a name, something to present the sincerity of what I know (albeit unrelated) - and can post. You go check with staff on what I said.

If they say they have no concerns of the name used, then I take it I can present whatever I want regarding it. In that, I am simply making things up. You can call my a liar.

I don't lie, Hammster. I don't assert that which I do not know.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Since there's no effort by anyone on staff at CF to minimize Catholics, there's nothing further to discuss.

Nothing to see here. Carry on as usual. Couple of admins dropping in on this topic means it's all okay.

puppet-gadget.jpg

I'll play! Will you play too?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Such a short post....
I have only not presented evidence of such. To be honest, to post such a thing would result in the removal of the post - and my being banned. Therefore, I gave you a name, something to present the sincerity of what I know (albeit unrelated) - and can post. You go check with staff on what I said.

If they say they have no concerns of the name used, then I take it I can present whatever I want regarding it. In that, I am simply making things up. You can call my a liar.

I don't lie, Hammster. I don't assert that which I do not know.
Maybe you gave the wrong name. The only Bradford I found was last seen in 2005. That's what, three owners ago? I hope that's not your evidence of us minimizing Catholics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe you gave the wrong name. The only Bradford I found was last seen in 2005. That's what, three owners ago? I hope that's not your evidence of us minimizing Catholics.

Did you have a hard time understanding my post?
"Totally unrelated to anything in this discussion (and someone I am against), but probably a dirty word you'd or others who do know would rather forget."
'
I imagine quotes from PMs and moderator sections are off limits. So really, what can I present?

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

May I post PMs from staff and from the various hidden sections?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.