Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I take it you are afraid this is going to turn into another general apologetics... The fears are valid. I'm having second thoughts now.... It would be nice as I first suggested that things just go back to everything in the main forum here like it used to be. When the board started it was that way for years. I think the root of the problem is there are just some of us that do seem more interested in politics than faith. Not sure if we can do much about that. I have really enjoyed people that have dropped in here that aren't Catholic as well.
The big problem now is having to deal with the...how can I say this? The nuts from all the general area. This will me thinks be a disaster worse than before. I am depressed

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ya'll have fun at the Christian-only place. :wave:
We still have the regular debate forums that anyone can post in.

It certainly wasn't your fault this happened, but something needed done to try and get OBOB back on the right track. This was the best anyone could come up with, from a staff POV. You're still welcome to continue post as a guest in the main OBOB forum

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Christian only is not catholic. You know that, so stop talking down to us.
I'm not talking down to anyone. This is an official announcement and so I am speaking more as an admin than as a member. I could certainly get someone else in here to discuss this, if you prefer.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not talking down to anyone. This is an official announcement and so I am speaking more as an admin than as a member. I could certainly get someone else in here to discuss this, if you prefer.

Yes you are, you make decisions and tell us if our responses become heated you will close the forum earlier. That patronizing and condescending to the members.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I take it you are afraid this is going to turn into another general apologetics... The fears are valid

Actually I am closer to eastcoast thinking. I feel that those of us who are Liturgical are getting more and more marginalized here by losing things all the time, this seems like a knife in the back again. Also I remembered what you guys said how it use to be and that won't change all I can see is an decrease in membership as this will ostracize some.

You are right when you say that some are more interested in politics as it relates to the faith and not faith, not all will be interested in talking about the faith all the time and that should be okay too.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually I am closer to eastcoast thinking. I feel that those of us who are Liturgical are getting more and more marginalized here by losing things all the time, this seems like a knife in the back again. Also I remembered what you guys said how it use to be and that won't change all I can see is an decrease in membership as this will ostracize some.
I can't discount your concerns. Sometimes what seems good in theory is not something that will work well in reality. Honestly, I'm at a loss. I did not think of people like you and LoAmmi. :(

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Maybe. But I can't help but wonder if purging OBOB of the acrimony of the political forum, which regularly spilled over to the main forum and those of us who staked out political positions carried our like or dislike of other members to the main forum, will result in a better, more faith based main forum.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes you are, you make decisions and tell us if our responses become heated you will close the forum earlier. That patronizing and condescending to the members.
I didn't decide this by myself. It was unanimous among the admins, including the ones actually over this area. And as I said, most members here expressed the desire to see it closed.

That disclaimer is standard for all these types of threads. It's nothing personal to OBOB.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe. But I can't help but wonder if purging OBOB of the acrimony of the political forum, which regularly spilled over to the main forum and those of us who staked out political positions carried our like or dislike of other members to the main forum, will result in a better, more faith based main forum.

From what I hear how it was it will make it much, much worse and may lead to a closure of OBOB itself because of members leaving over the bad blood that will come.

BTW I am not trying to be a doomsayer but seeing the real reality coming.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I re read your post and I think there's a misunderstanding, probably my fault for not being clearer. I didn't mean I would close the thread if your responses to me were heated. I can take it, don't worry. What I meant was that if this thread devolved into a fight between the members over political or personal issues, then I would close it for going off topic and probably flaming too. That's what happened to the last thread of this nature.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can't discount your concerns. Sometimes what seems good in theory is not something that will work well in reality. Honestly, I'm at a loss. I did not think of people like you and LoAmmi. :(
We did consider the possibility that this could be temporary if there is enough desire to bring OBOB Politics back in a few months. This will give us a trial run to see if things improve so we can see how to proceed from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like this is the plan. All we can do is wait and see how it unfolds I guess. Now I'm bummed out and worried.

Well I am glad I could come in when I could. I should just leave the whole place but I could never do that. There's just no real place for me anymore and when there is it gets taken away or more rules added

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From what I hear how it was it will make it much, much worse and may lead to a closure of OBOB itself because of members leaving over the bad blood that will come.

BTW I am not trying to be a doomsayer but seeing the real reality coming.
OBOB will never be closed as long as I'm on staff.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There still will be threads of a political nature in the main forum LoAmmi. Like if the pope says something, etc.
I fear that I'm not going to be able to add much to anything. It'd probably be hard for me to find threads where I can contribute.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.