• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Announcement: OBOB political forum

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Tallguy88, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    This is to let you guys know that the OBOB Political forum will be closing soon. It is redundant now that we have a Christian-Only Debate and Discussion forum, including both a News forum and a general politics forum.

Staff realizes this might not be welcomed by everybody, but we feel it is in the best interest of the OBOB forum to get overtly political issues moved to their own area, so there isn't as much political "bleed over" into the main OBOB forum, which is faith-focused, not politics-focused. We also understand that there are areas where faith and politics intersect. In such cases, the general rule of thumb will be that if a topic is a bishop's statement or other official source, then it can go in the main OBOB forum. If it is an issue that is primarily related to the Catholic Church, such as the Little Sisters of the Poor vs the HHS Mandate case, then it can also go in the main OBOB forum. But threads about politics of a general nature belong in the new political forum. And threads which are OK in OBOB at their start may end up being moved if they turn into a primarily political debate.

I'm going to leave this announcement open for a while, but may close it if it gets too heated. I'll be happy to answer any questions or concerns about this.

• Like Like x 7
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  2. RKO

RKO Member

+1,314
    Catholic
    As one who has given as good as I got over there, I think this is a very good idea. I saw very little Christian charity there, and I was as big an offender as anybody.
    I'm glad it's gone.

3. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Sounds like much won't change. The political forum needed to be gone a long time ago. And politics can still be discussed in light of faith if I understand correctly. When is it closing?

4. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Not certain. I don't have the tools to close it myself. One of the Advisors will have to do it.

5. Michie

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ok! I'm hoping this will
    Gear us more towards faith centered discussions and fellowship. We can always go to the Christian only debate forum as you said for the other stuff.

6. Tallguy88

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Actually, it looks like they did close it already.

7. Tallguy88

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    That's my hope as well.

8. Michie

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Tallguy, I know where the forums are at but I am on my phone. Could you post links here so people can look around that may not have been there?

9. Tallguy88

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
  10. MoonlessNight

MoonlessNight Fides et Ratio

+3,200
    Catholic
    US-Others
    I understand the reasoning behind the decision but I'm getting extremely annoyed about how major changes like this are made without much in the way of prior announcement and without consulting the posters.

11. Michie

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  12. Sword of the Lord

Sword of the Lord In need of a physician.

+7,067
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Good.

13. Michie

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Seems like the forum has picked up and become a bit more interesting. Imo, anyway. This has been discussed off and on but yes, I wish posters were more aware and involved in what happens in their forum as well as letting us know what staff is discussing when it comes to these things.

14. Tallguy88

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    We actually did consult with the forum as a whole about a month ago and the majority were in favor of closing it. We just now got to doing it, though.

15. Tallguy88

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    I had actually intended for there to be a bit of a gap between this announcement and the forum closing, but I guess that was miscommunicated. Of course, I can move any thread from OBOB Politics to the new forum if you want to continue any of them.

16. Michie

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    It had crossed my mind but we had not heard a peep do I assumed it was shelved.

17. Tallguy88

+7,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    We got distracted. But some recent blow ups here refocused our attention on this.

18. Michie

+15,691
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yeah I think starting the transfer would be a good thing.

19. stage five

stage five Skeptic

+286
    Christian
    Private
    US-Democrat
    That's how CF generally treats OBOB. There are numerous pointless forums. This is another attempt to minimize Catholics. No surprise.

20. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+4,080
    Christian

You come across a little patronizing when you make the comment

It Comes across as a little patronizing when you make the comment

We are the members of this forum and We shouldn't be talked down to.

I Don't agree with abolishing the political forum. We were told in the past that the poltical forum was established to remove politics from the main forum. Then of course that was not enough.

I know where this is going. Any mod that disagrees with a post will simply say "thats political" and remove the post.

Then the forum members will be turned into rats by reporting posts they disagree with as being overtly political.

Politics and life are intertwined and being the police of whete one crosses the line is going to lead to confusion and discord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.