✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You come across a little patronizing when you make the comment

We are the members of this forum and We shouldn't be talked down to.

Sorry, that wasn't the intent. I meant if there ends up being too much bickering and fighting amongst members. It's what got the last thread like this shut down.

I Don't agree with abolishing the political forum. We were told in the past that the poltical forum was established to remove politics from the main forum. Then of course that was not enough.

I know where this is going. Any mod that disagrees with a post will simply say "thats political" and remove the post.

Then the forum members will be turned into rats by reporting posts they disagree with as being overtly political.

Politics and life are intertwined and being the police of whete one crosses the line is going to lead to confusion and discord.
It's no different than how it was previously. Now, instead of them being moved to OBOB Politics, they will just be moved to General Politics. But what threads are allowed in the main forum haven't changed, it's the same standard that's been in place since at least 2012 when OBOB Politics was opened.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I understand the reasoning behind the decision but I'm getting extremely annoyed about how major changes like this are made without much in the way of prior announcement and without consulting the posters.

That is because they feel we are children and we don't need to be consulted.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That is because they feel we are children and we don't need to be consulted.
You were consulted. Over half the forum voted to close the politics forum, at least temporarily. It just took us a month or so to actually do it.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry, that wasn't the intent. I meant if there ends up being too much bickering and fighting amongst members. It's what got the last thread like this shut down.

It's no different than how it was previously. Now, instead of them being moved to OBOB Politics, they will just be moved to General Politics. But what threads are allowed in the main forum haven't changed, it's the same standard that's been in place since at least 2012 when OBOB Politics was opened.

Then it won't be catholic any-longer. There are political discussions like the one I posted earlier regarding a Jesuit University that will be put out of the Catholic forum.

I repeat , the behavior by the mods is patronizing . The actual members of the forum where not included in this decision nor are we included on other decisions. Why is that?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
You were consulted. Over half the forum voted to close the politics forum, at least temporarily. It just took us a month or so to actually do it.

That's untrue. How many forum members actually voted? i bet it was less than 30 or 40. This forum in my opinion is steadily going down hill.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no home on the forum at all and I know I am a guest here. I just want to say I enjoyed OBOB Politics it keep the rift raft out mostly and I really felt good here and there. I am sad to see all these changes, I feel like a homeless guy who keeps losing his curb.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Then it won't be catholic any-longer. There are political discussions like the one I posted earlier regarding a Jesuit University that will be put out of the Catholic forum.

I repeat , the behavior by the mods is patronizing . The actual members of the forum where not included in this decision nor are we included on other decisions. Why is that?
I already explained that you were consulted. Many members have expressed a desire, both publicly and privately, that they wanted the Politics forum gone from OBOB. They feel politics is poisoning the discussion in OBOB and suppressing actual faith based discussion.

Also, an issue with a Jesuit University sounds like it could stay in OBOB since it's primarily focused on a Catholic issue. It's stuff about the presidential election and similar things that go to General Politics.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have no home on the forum at all and I know I am a guest here. I just want to say I enjoyed OBOB Politics it keep the rift raft out mostly and I really felt good here and there. I am sad to see all these changes, I feel like a homeless guy who keeps losing his curb.
Well the General Politics forum is Christian-only, so it will be more heavily moderated than the forums where atheists and such post in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's untrue. How many forum members actually voted? i bet it was less than 30 or 40. This forum in my opinion is steadily going down hill.
Probably was less than 30. I don't think we could muster even 20 regular members anymore. You're right, OBOB has gone down hill. Most people think it's BECAUSE of the political issues overtaking the faith issues. It certainly isn't going to hurt to see if this will help with that issue.

Reactions: RKO
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You'll be coming with me. ;)

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well the General Politics forum is Christian-only, so it will be more heavily moderated than the forums where atheists and such post in.
Understood but General anything here is toxic for Catholic and other Liturgical Christians and a lot of times there where things only we (Liturgical Christians) understood or could appreciate

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Eastcoast, the way I understand it not much will change. The main stuff will just be in the main forum.
The only change is to where the political threads go. They go to the Christian-only debate forum, which several members here requested be created btw, instead of OBOB Politics. What is allowed in the main forum hasn't changed.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I honestly do not think anyone will notice much difference once they see it in action. The forum used to be this way in the beginning and I know when the political subforum was suggested there were a lot of objections to that as well. Politics from a faith based perspective can still be discussed. Straight up secular politics will be discussed in the Christian only debate forum. My only question is this: if there is some sort of tragedy, say a bombing. That can still be posted in the main forum right? People pray in those as well as discuss the incident. ??
The only change is to where the political threads go. They go to the Christian-only debate forum, which several members here requested be created btw, instead of OBOB Politics. What is allowed in the main forum hasn't changed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The big problem now is having to deal with the...how can I say this? The nuts from all the general Christian area. This will me thinks be a disaster worse than before. I am depressed, I came home that way and this just helped deepen it. :(

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Probably was less than 30. I don't think we could muster even 20 regular members anymore. You're right, OBOB has gone down hill. Most people think it's BECAUSE of the political issues overtaking the faith issues. It certainly isn't going to hurt to see if this will help with that issue.

Most people don't think that, because your basing it on less than 30 people voting. I think a big part of why the forum is going down is because of a small cadre of moderators who are patronizing and look at forum members as if they are children. I won't allow myself to be treated that way.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Christian only is not catholic. You know that, so stop talking down to us.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.