Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of people with a lot of stories concerning all that.
OBOB was once one of the most active forums, but it seems like the continual interference by the "admins" is slowly killing it.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OBOB will never be closed as long as I'm on staff.

If there are not any members it would be. Since this seems more like a protestant forum I am sure that they would do it anyway. There is no love for us (Liturgical Christians) almost anywhere and we are just tolerated at places like this. Heck we can even have a real Traditional Christian forum without people from GT all of a sudden saying they are Traditional. As Dangerfield often quipped "No respect, we get no respect." (modified version)

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There still will be threads of a political nature in the main forum LoAmmi. Like if the pope says something, etc.

Yea where all the nutters from GT come in. Yea we got our share of interesting characters but nothing like the main forum will have (Think GT)

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guarantee if anything turns like GT anywhere here then I'm out the door screaming. I cannot handle that mess. That's why I never frequent the other forums.
Yea where all the nutters from GT come in. Yea we got our share of interesting characters but nothing like the main forum will have (Think GT)

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OBOB was once one of the most active forums, but it seems like the continual interference by the "admins" is slowly killing it.
You're welcome to join staff and see what it's like on the inside. All of us are volunteers just trying to help CF run smoothly. Not every decision is easy and not everyone will agree with it, no matter what is decided.

But I had three members of OBOB contact me within the past few days to complain that the forum was going to heck and it was mainly because of the politics bleeding over into the main forum. One of them was so distraught that they requested a ban on their account so they wouldn't be tempted to return here and get drawn back into it. I talked them down for the moment, but it really made the issue clear that politics is destroying OBOB.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Guarantee if anything turns like GT anywhere here then I'm out the door screaming. I cannot handle that mess. That's why I never frequent the other forums.

The political forum they not want us to use will be just like GT and even though I post there sometimes I really don't like GT so I will not be posting in their new politics forum. So I can sporadically post here and maybe Traditional Forum. Maybe that's a good thing maybe I am here to much.

I know OBOB is for Catholics only sorry for interfering with the family discussion

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Main forum" refers to OBOB itself. It's still the Catholic safe haven. If GT types come in here attacking Catholicism, they will be shut down really quick.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Main forum" refers to OBOB itself. It's still the Catholic safe haven. If GT types come in here attacking Catholicism, they will be shut down really quick.

I am talking about the politics forum we have to go to now. When I say main forum I mean the forum

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Probably was less than 30. I don't think we could muster even 20 regular members anymore. You're right, OBOB has gone down hill. Most people think it's BECAUSE of the political issues overtaking the faith issues. It certainly isn't going to hurt to see if this will help with that issue.

No, the forum is going down hill because it shuts down discussion. This is a perfect example. No one posts here because a handful of loud whiny members is happy. People post here because there is something to post about. CF became popular because it once generated discussion. Now it is going the way of every other Christian based board where you have a handful of influential people being reinforced by staff into making the forum their way. Outside ideas are shut down and new people are disrespected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hmmmm... Here is the thing. In OBOB a person can easy ignore a thread. But it seems people cannot desperate someone's politics from the person.
That is a problem, and one that os beyond our ability to fix as staff members. That issue requires a change in the members themselves to decide not to do that anymore. It would be great if we stopped thinking of everything in terms of liberal and conservative. I have no idea as to how to do that though.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am talking about the politics forum we have to go to now. When I say main forum I mean the forum
It's not a faith forum over there though, so they shouldn't be attacking liturgical Christians in a political forum. That would be off topic. Most likeky, it will divide along political lines just like OBIB Politics didm

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, the forum is going down hill because it shuts down discussion. This is a perfect example. No one posts here because a handful of loud whiny members is happy. People post here because there is something to post about. CF became popular because it once generated discussion. Now it is going the way of every other Christian based board where you have a handful of influential people being reinforced by staff into making the forum their way. Outside ideas are shut down and new people are disrespected.
We won't make everyone happy no matter what we do or don't do. I've learned that lesson quite well. At least we are trying to do something to fix the forum.

If it doesn't pan out, we can always bring the political forum back.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
There's a concept in a multiple course meal where you get a palate cleanser between courses. The intention is to give you something bland that can wash away the tastes of the previous course. It really helps you enjoy the flavor of the new food.

Might be worth keeping in mind that an entire meal of palate cleansers would not be all that enjoyable.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We won't make everyone happy no matter what we do or don't do. I've learned that lesson quite well. At least we are trying to do something to fix the forum.

It's not an issue of choosing between sides. The issue is pandering to certain members to inhibit discussion. CF lacks basic reasoning skills. I find that odd.

For example, I hate Trump. Some Trump haters will ignore a sub-forum discussing him. That's fine, they weren't going to post there anyways. A person on a Republican forum is not going to stop posting in the Cruz fsection because there also exists a Trump section. However, the Trump section will attract a lot of haters. The Trump haters that call for a closing of the Trump section on the Republican forum are not going to help anything. They'll just keep on posting in the Cruz section. They'll whine about the Trump section, but there are not going to stop posting in the Cruz section.

How a person can think it will help the forum to make the Cruz majority happy is beyond me. Look, they just won't post in that subsection. How you can tell me it will help a forum to close a section is beyond me.

There is nothing to lose. You guys are just shooting yourself in the foot over basic concepts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's how CF generally treats OBOB. There are numerous pointless forums. This is another attempt to minimize Catholics. No surprise.
I knew I'd find one I could address. :)

There's no conspiracy against Catholics. Not by staff, anyway. TG is one of our more revered staffers. And to my knowledge, he's never voiced any complaint that hints of such.

When a report comes in, we don't look at it and hope it's a Catholic that we can minimize. We just look to see if it's in violation or not. That's it. There have been no meetings or missives to minimize or marginalize Cathedrals.

Some Admins voted to close it because of spiritual concerns. I'm just pragmatic and voted to close it because of the number of reports, and because there's a new place for Christians to engage in political discussion.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think liberal and conservative should go the way of *bless and do not curse* list of words! Lol! ;)
That is a problem, and one that os beyond our ability to fix as staff members. That issue requires a change in the members themselves to decide not to do that anymore. It would be great if we stopped thinking of everything in terms of liberal and conservative. I have no idea as to how to do that though.

Reactions: RKO
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I knew I'd find one I could address. :)

There's no conspiracy against Catholics. Not by staff, anyway. TG is one of our more revered staffers. And to my knowledge, he's never voiced any complaint that hints of such.

When a report comes in, we don't look at it and hope it's a Catholic that we can minimize. We just look to see if it's in violation or not. That's it. There have been no meetings or missives to minimize or marginalize Cathedrals.

Some Admins voted to close it because of spiritual concerns. I'm just pragmatic and voted to close it because of the number of reports, and because there's a new place for Christians to engage in political discussion.

I echo this.

It was not the complaints of a few, it was many complaints and reports.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok! I'm hoping this will
Gear us more towards faith centered discussions and fellowship. We can always go to the Christian only debate forum as you said for the other stuff.

If this is the outcome then I think closing OBOB Politics is a good idea. My question is, all of those threads in the main OBOB forum, will they be relocated to Politics? Looking at the main OBOB page, about 6/10 of the top threads have political tones. Threads about abortion, nuns at the SCOTUS, state senate hearings, Papal refugee commentary, police matters, etc.

How many of those subjects would essentially be Politics territory and not OBOB? What's to stop anyone placing a political subject in a religious context and overriding the rules that would get it moved to Politics? Is there set, clear criteria dictating what threads go where?

Just curious.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.