Montgomery
✟137,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would regulated methamphetamine be worse than unregulated?
I was a narcotics investigator, I agree the war on drugs is not working. But legalising meth, fentanyl and heroin is not going to help either. I don’t know what the solution is. Regulated or not meth is a terrible, destructive drug

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a narcotics investigator, I agree the war on drugs is not working. But legalising meth, fentanyl and heroin is not going to help either. I don’t know what the solution is. Regulated or not meth is a terrible, destructive drug
Regulating them along with providing more treatment centers might mitigate the harm.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever seen anyone in the throes of dt?

How would regulated methamphetamine be worse than unregulated?
Unless something like meth becomes readily available, regulation isn't going to amount to a hill of beans. Here they are cracking down on the distribution of legal controlled substances containing opioids because of all the harm they cause, and folks think stuff that's ten times worse should be as available as beer and cigarettes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unless something like meth becomes readily available, regulation isn't going to amount to beans. Here they are cracking down on the distribution of legal controlled substances containing opioids because of all the harm they cause, and folks think stuff that's ten times worse should be as available as beer and cigarettes.
Anyone who knew what is contained in meth would never suggest that it be made legal and available. It's simply poison:

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Unless something like meth becomes readily available, regulation isn't going to amount to beans. Here they are cracking down on the distribution of legal controlled substances containing opioids because of all the harm they cause, and folks think stuff that's ten times worse should be as available as beer and cigarettes.
You keep misrepresenting the arguments being used to a nonsensical degree. To what end I have no idea, as it's plainly obvious and simply detracts from any points you try to make.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd be interested in hearing how you think the mechanics of that would work.
From here: A Better Way - Legal Regulation of Drugs

Legal regulation would differ dramatically by substance. A purpose-built set of laws would govern the use and supply of each different drug depending on their harm profile.

For example, dangerous drugs like opioids would attract stricter regulations than less harmful substances like cannabis or MDMA.

We believe that drugs currently deemed illegal should be governed similarly to other, now legal psychoactive substances, including caffeine, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals.

Based on the existing systems in use to regulate these legal products, there are several potential options:

• Prescription
    Particularly harmful substances, like heroin, could be prescribed to dependant users by a qualified doctor and consumed in a supervised setting. This approach would help to ensure that vulnerable Australians have access to support for their often complex physical and mental health needs. Several jurisdictions, including Switzerland and Canada, use this model to manage heroin addiction.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless something like meth becomes readily available, regulation isn't going to amount to a hill of beans.
Meth is readily available.

Here they are cracking down on the distribution of legal controlled substances containing opioids because of all the harm they cause, and folks think stuff that's ten times worse should be as available as beer and cigarettes.
Cracking down on the legal controlled substances is what has driven the surge in heroine and fentanyl addictions and deaths.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regulating them along with providing more treatment centers might mitigate the harm.
People have to want to go to treatment, Most people hooked on meth are not interested in going to rehab. They’re just interested in getting more meth.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Only to those connected to the drug underground. That's different than having it available at Walgreens.

Cracking down on the legal controlled substances is what has driven the surge in heroine and fentanyl addictions and deaths.

That sure doesn't explain why people are dying far more from " legal controlled substances" like alcohol.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only to those connected to the drug underground.
Or a high school.

That's different than having it available at Walgreens.
Yes, it is different and more dangerous. No one knows what they're getting or at what dosages/purity.

That sure doesn't explain why people are dying far more from " legal controlled substances" like alcohol.
Are they? Do more people in the US die from alcohol than from illegal opioids?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People have to want to go to treatment, Most people hooked on meth are not interested in going to rehab. They’re just interested in getting more meth.
Do you know most people?

You should know that there are far more people wanting treatment than beds available, particularly without insurance.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or a high school.

Yes, it is different and more dangerous. No one knows what they're getting or at what dosages/purity.

Are they? Do more people in the US die from alcohol than from illegal opioids?

88,000 versus 44,800 for alcohol deaths versus opioid deaths. So yes, alcohol is killing more people.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
88,000 versus 44,800 for alcohol deaths versus opioid deaths. So yes, alcohol is killing more people.
I would have thought the death rate for opiods would be a lot higher. But checking some figures and running the maths, there's not much in it. 75 deaths per 100,000 users for opiods and 62 for alcohol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes there is a shortage of rehab facilities. Legalising drugs like meth will exacerbate this problem. There may be funding for more rehabs but will it keep up with the increasing demand? There is no simple solution to this problem. I’ve long felt that drugs should be decriminalised but for drugs like fentanyl and meth I don’t think so

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Only to those connected to the drug underground. That's different than having it available at Walgreens.
Uh-huh
BD316FC8-E59E-444A-A7E3-FFDC61EF23A6.jpeg

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know most people?

You should know that there are far more people wanting treatment than beds available, particularly without insurance.
Do you know even one person who uses meth? Yes there is a shortage of rehab facilities. Making drugs even more available is going to exacerbate that problem. I’ve long felt that drugs should be decriminalised but there are unforeseen consequences that could make the problem even worse

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My original assertion in a nutshell was a lot of people who vote democrat want hard drugs to become an ordinary commodity. Which you're confirming. So there's no reason for me to argue with you.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would have thought the death rate for opiods would be a lot higher. But checking some figures and running the maths, there's not much in it. 75 deaths per 100,000 users for opiods and 62 for alcohol.

It would seem that alcohol deaths are higher overall simply because it's legal and available everywhere, and therefore easier to get ahold of. Not to mention the fact that it's legal and available in stores can mislead people into thinking it must also be safe.
Do the same thing with opioids, and the death numbers from that would no doubt surpass that of alcohol.

Upvote 0