Am I stopping my mom from going to church or is she being selfish?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure if this is the right category but my mom is making my life a nightmare. She bullies me all the time and expects me to cater to her every needs. I have a boyfriend which she is totally against (I'm 24). We were all going to church tonight until my mom found out that my boyfriend was going. She said that she is staying home because she wants no part of our relationship. She's acting like I stopped her from going when I didn't. She's stopping her self because she's refusing to go. She is a big bully. I'm being serious. You don't know what I've been through and it's all been by her. She acts like a total narcissist. Do you think I'm stopping her from going? My boyfriend is a good Christian guy and I care about him and he just wants to go to church with me. My dad is the driver because we both can't drive yet but hopefully I'll learn soon. Every relationship I'm in, my mom tries to ruin it somehow. She always finds a way to destroy it by calling him and telling him things or making a post about him on facebook. This is not Christian like at all. I'm trying to live a good life and she's ruining it. She all the time complains about how I need to find a man and get "raped" or married. She's been saying this since I was 13. Well right when I find one, she goes completely against everything she said. This is absurd. What should I do?

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure if this is the right category but my mom is making my life a nightmare. She bullies me all the time and expects me to cater to her every needs. I have a boyfriend which she is totally against (I'm 24). We were all going to church tonight until my mom found out that my boyfriend was going. She said that she is staying home because she wants no part of our relationship. She's acting like I stopped her from going when I didn't. She's stopping her self because she's refusing to go. She is a big bully. I'm being serious. You don't know what I've been through and it's all been by her. She acts like a total narcissist. Do you think I'm stopping her from going? My boyfriend is a good Christian guy and I care about him and he just wants to go to church with me. My dad is the driver because we both can't drive yet but hopefully I'll learn soon. Every relationship I'm in, my mom tries to ruin it somehow. She always finds a way to destroy it by calling him and telling him things or making a post about him on facebook. This is not Christian like at all. I'm trying to live a good life and she's ruining it. She all the time complains about how I need to find a man and get "raped" or married. She's been saying this since I was 13. Well right when I find one, she goes completely against everything she said. This is absurd. What should I do?
What does your dad say?
Why don't either of you drive yet?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need to have calm conversation with her in my opinion. If what you've said is true then she is behaving strangely and inappropriately. What actual reason has she given for wanting "no part" of your relationship?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No you're not stopping her from going. You're both adults. Adults make adult decisions. She made hers. You made yours. Everyone gets to decide for themselves, and take ownership and be responsible for their own decisions.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's always hard to give advice in these matters because I'm getting one side of a lifetime relationship described in a paragraph. That being said, we are ultimately to separate from our parents and become one flesh with our future husband/wife. You are well past the age of majority and should be making your own decisions. Honoring your parents at this point doesn't mean sacrificing your independence or identity.

If you are currently living with your parents it can be hard to get that separation but it sounds like a certain amount of separation is needed for you to develop your own identity. From your side of things it does sound like she is exerting undue influence in your life and being manipulative. That being said, please work on forgiving her for these things if you have not. You also need to always make sure you're honoring your parents or you're going to bring problems into your life. That doesn't mean you can't say that you feel she's manipulating you or doing terrible things. That could all be true but please don't call her names (no matter how merited you may think it is) because your dishonoring of either of your parents is a huge biblical no no and it wouldn't matter if they were the worst people on the planet, because it's not about them. You honor God by not disrespecting your parents and you dishonor them by disrespecting them.

I really do feel for you and can empathize with your situation. As I said you are past the age of majority and unless there is some unusual circumstance I'm not aware of generally speaking you should be making your own decisions at this point. Pray to the Lord about it but if you feel this man is a Christian man then go with that, just pray to the Lord always, particularly for her. Also pray that any ungodly soul ties between your parents and yourself are cut off.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You should definitely be living on your own starting about 6 years ago. Make such plans and solve your problems.

Upvote 0

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What does your dad say?
Why don't either of you drive yet?
My dad said he would take him. We both don't drive because we are intellectually disabled. Mine is just a mild disability so I probably could learn how to drive. I just have a bad memory and get confused easily.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My dad said he would take him. We both don't drive because we are intellectually disabled. Mine is just a mild disability so I probably could learn how to drive. I just have a bad memory and get confused easily.
If you could learn, that would be good. I get confused, too, and have memory issues, but driving a simple, memorized route is ok. Do you and this young man plan to marry?

Upvote 0

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You need to have calm conversation with her in my opinion. If what you've said is true then she is behaving strangely and inappropriately. What actual reason has she given for wanting "no part" of your relationship?

I don't know why she doesn't want any part of our relationship. It's like that with every guy. She is driving me crazy. I can't move out because of my disability but if I had money and a little extra help managing it, I could live perfectly on my own. I'm not that disabled but at the moment I am broke and am trying to get my disability check. My parents are also my guardians but that doesn't stop me from doing what I want and I make it clear to them that I am an adult and can do what I want. They didn't even ask to get guardianship over me. I only have a mild disability. They just don't want to teach me anything. I could've been fine on my own but they didn't help or teach me. :( I probably sound selfish. I'm just upset.

• Prayers
Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you could learn, that would be good. I get confused, too, and have memory issues, but driving a simple, memorized route is ok. Do you and this young man plan to marry?

Maybe one day we will marry once we fall in love. I would like to stay with him for a long time but it depends on if my mom will not ruin it for me.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

First, you need to stop critiquing your parents. Do not say "this is not christian like". Leave that for G-d himself to determine. Honor your mother, not talk badly about her behind her back.

To the main issue. You know that G-d wants you in Church. So you go to church whether your mother goes, or has a problem with it or not.

Second, you are an adult. At age 18, you are now responsible for you. Do you understand? You are not obligated to follow your mother, or your father anymore. You are obligated to honor them, by not saying they are acting badly on a forum somewhere, but you are also not required to follow their demands or advice.

Third, you wish to be married, and you have met someone who wants to be married.... you need to get married, and start your life together.

There is a pastor Mark Gungor, who grew up in not a terrible home, but it was a little crazy. At age 18 he met a Christian women, that he wanted to marry, and his mother was exactly like yours. She absolutely hated him being in this relationship, or getting married, and he just told her the time and place of the marriage, and if she didn't come, that was her loss. He stayed married to this wonderful woman for decades.

If I find the video of him saying this, I'll post it here for you to watch.

But the point is, he honored his mother, but he didn't follow her demands. He was an adult at 18, and he made his own choices.

You are an adult woman. You don't need to be concerned anymore about your mother. Your mother is an adult woman herself, and she is responsible for her own choices.

Go, and worship the Lord, and marry this man who you care about, and who cares about you. Do not date him for the next 10 years. If you are not moving towards marriage, then move on. You are already 24 years old. Time goes by my friend.

But worry not about what your mother thinks. Honor her for raise you to this point, and now you need to spread your own wings, and fly.

If that means finding a roommate to live with, so you can get out of a toxic environment at home, then that is what you need to do. Do not move in with a man you are not married to.

I wish you the best young daughter :)

Upvote 0