Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Alcohol was wondering was actually par-takes in taking Alcohol or who is teetotal and why.

And do you think as Christian there should be a limit?

Do you only take Alcohol if you are at dinner, are you a social drinker, or really its only on occasions.

What is alcohol seen as in your culture?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alcohol was wondering was actually par-takes in taking Alcohol or who is teetotal and why.

Do you only take Alcohol if you are at dinner, are you a social drinker, or really its only on occasions.

Sure, I think the middle-road is the appropriate way. Teetotaling is just as much of an extreme as complete drunkenness. There are valid reasons to avoid drinking, specifically if alcoholism is a risk factor, but I resent the notion that any consumption of alcohol whatsoever is unchristian or immoral.

I drink, mainly when I'm with friends. Friday night I hung out with a buddy and we had a few beers while we watched Game 7 of the ALCS and the Warriors game at this outdoor bar. A few weeks before that I was having dinner with two couples I'm friends with and we had two bottles of wine and a beer or two (between the five of us, spaced out over the course of maybe 4-5 hours). None of us even got buzzed, we just enjoyed the company, the food, the conversation, and in the case of the first story, the games too.

When I'm home alone I might have a glass of wine with dinner, like a nice Chardonnay, Tempranillo, Gewürztraminer, or Pinot Noir; maybe I'll crack open a brew while watching a ball game. I also enjoy bourbon, I had a $50 glass of 15-year old Pappy Van Winkle a few weeks back... I even Instagrammed it, I was so psyched - and man was it smooth. Mmm mm mm!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not to get drunk.

Sometimes I'll have a beer at the end of my day. Most days, I go without. I also drink socially, controlled intake of course.

My state takes a lot of pride in our craft brews. I'm not the biggest fan of Budweiser, I prefer my beer to have flavor. It's the same general opinion as most of the people I drink beer with. We'll have a beer or two and a conversation, I like to have some food as well. Sometimes we try perhaps a double shot worth of a new beer at a time and go through several. Either way, at the end of the night, we still have our faculties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Only socially or maybe with a meal once in a while; and far less frequently than I used to. I can count the number of times I've touched alcohol in the last two years on one hand.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I totally agree with what the scriptures say about alcohol. The same could be said about drugs (using for its effects rather than need). For me, drinking is not spiritually banned. I say it this way because there are some that the Holy Spirit says not to ever touch the stuff. So, for myself, I know my limit and I never go passed that. I have stopped drinking socially for a very long time.

If I drink, it's usually with supper.

Drinking in Canada is pretty ... free-range? But we do have an age restriction of 21, I do believe where I reside.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I hardly ever drink, not out of any sort of principle, but just because I've found alcohol to be a bit of an acquired taste which I haven't acquired much because drinking is generally a social activity and I haven't been all that social over the years. I don't like wine and while I don't dislike beer it still wouldn't be my first choice of something to drink. If I'm in a situation where everyone else is drinking then I'll probably also have a drink as it can feel a little awkward not to, but those situations don't happen very often and actually haven't for a long time.

The last time I had anything alcoholic was over a year ago. I was at a restaurant that had a special which included a beer so I figured I might as well have it as if I didn't then I'd need to order something to drink, so it was a little bit of a money saving option.

As for my limit, it's very low - a second beer and I definitely start to feel light-headed. So that's a far as I've ever gone.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's 18 here in Alberta. The bar I go to has been busted a couple times serving alcoholic beverages to minors because they didn't bother to check their ID's first. There are also some bars I avoid because fights break out very often and the other men could just swipe your drink right in front of you.

Oh man! I can SO relate! Once upon a time, many years ago, I went too a bar that didn't seem to bother with ID checks (I was a minor at the time), and this bar had SO much drama! There was a guy that was almost knifed to death outside of the building... the body gaurd didn't seem bothered by it... or he saw it many times before as the News was always covering that place. Girls were plotting against one another, ganging up on each other... UGH! I never went back there again. Once was more than enough.
:swoon:

I should add that the bar had so many problems that is was forced to shut down.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to drink all the time. Not so much now at all.

I wouldn't say I will never have a drink again I don't know how many years I have left on this Earth..... but I certainly don't plan on ever drinking alcohol again.

1. I no longer feel the need nor the desire to drink
2. I quit smoking cigarettes ..... I can't drink without a smoke.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0