England
✟22,766.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello all. I'm in need of some advice and I'm kind of alone in this so I thought that this forum would be the best place to come. I recently converted from agnostic to Christian as I had an experience and something in me just knew it was God reaching out to me. Researching Christianity and learning more and more everyday has given me a new sense of life and I feel so happy to be here. However, I have grown up with my immediate family being atheist. I'm a young adult at university and I feel like now is the right time to try and tell my family that I have converted as I want to get baptised but I'm unsure how to approach the subject with them. I know they're going to ask why I chose to convert and I know that with them being atheist, they're probably going to think I'm crazy when I say I felt God speak to me. I want them to take me seriously because I know how I feel and that this is the right thing for me. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You know you may have had some kind of experience.

But what gives a person eternal life is understanding that Jesus in the New Testament is the promised Messiah from Old Testament prophecies and will give to anyone who trust in The Messiah for His gift of His eternal life.

The only object for a persons faith that gives eternal life is Jesus The promised Messiah.

And if that is what you have done, then just simply tell whoever.
That you believe the testimony in the Bible, that there is a God and that God offers eternal life to anyone who believes that Jesus is the promised Messiah and trust in Him (Jesus) for the gift of eternal life.

Reactions: rsj13
Upvote 0

rsj13

Feb 24, 2019
England
✟22,766.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
why do you feel obligated to tell them about this? why not just live your life?
Because I want to get baptised and would obviously want my family there such as my mother who I live with. I don’t want it to be something I feel like I have to hide because I’m proud to be Christian.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Because I want to get baptised and would obviously want my family there such as my mother who I live with. I don’t want it to be something I feel like I have to hide because I’m proud to be Christian.

there's nothing you can do to control their reaction to your life decision. outside of not being a jerk about it, how they'll feel about it is how they'll feel about it and there's not much you can do to change it.

if you want to tell them, go for it. just don't let their negative reaction deter you from living your life(you don't need your family present to be baptized).

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟337,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! :wave:

It depends some on your family's attitude toward religion. If they're anti-religious, you may find some opposition from them. If they're just uninterested in religion, then they may see your faith as an odd hobby you've taken up, like stamp collecting. Or, if they can see that it is a positive new aspect to your life, they may support you, even if they don't share your beliefs. Do you have a sense of which category they fall into?

My best advice is to show them the positive effects of Christianity on your life. Tell them how it brings you peace, or deeper meaning in life, or more compassion for people, or whatever other positive effects your faith has had, and they may at least come to value the role that your faith is playing in your life.

When I decided to be confirmed in the Episcopal church, my agnostic office-mate supported me, not because she agreed with my beliefs, but because she was my friend and could see that this was an important positive step for me. I hope you can find that kind of love and friendship from your family.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello all. I'm in need of some advice and I'm kind of alone in this so I thought that this forum would be the best place to come. I recently converted from agnostic to Christian as I had an experience and something in me just knew it was God reaching out to me. Researching Christianity and learning more and more everyday has given me a new sense of life and I feel so happy to be here. However, I have grown up with my immediate family being atheist. I'm a young adult at university and I feel like now is the right time to try and tell my family that I have converted as I want to get baptised but I'm unsure how to approach the subject with them. I know they're going to ask why I chose to convert and I know that with them being atheist, they're probably going to think I'm crazy when I say I felt God speak to me. I want them to take me seriously because I know how I feel and that this is the right thing for me. Any advice/help would be appreciated.
Congratulations.

Obviously I don't know your family. But I know people coming from a similar background who have converted. And typically, it's just a matter of time until a family member suggests that one possible motivation for the conversion is rebellion. I'm not predicting that will come up when you discuss this matter with your family members. But it may.

As a general thing, I find that Christians tend to use a lot of esoteric jargon. "The Lord laid it on my heart...", "I feel called to..." and the like. Things like that tend not to make any sense at all to the average atheist.

It may be best to tailor your explanation to your family in a way that they'll understand and relate to. Either way, congratulations again and good luck!

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟403,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I want to start out by saying I 100% believe that God spoke to you, whatever way that may have been. If you can hold onto that and not let go of it I guarantee you will add to your collection of times in which God supernaturally reached out to you in some way or another, and if you will see it, each experience will be like a brick used to build upon your foundation that is your faith.

Now, when it comes to letting your family know that you are now a Christian, who knows, maybe they will not be bothered by it, but even if they are know that God is with you and supports you always, even if you can't see Him there with you. Pray to Jesus to constantly remind you of His Presence and why it is you decided to follow Him, He will do that. Jesus is not only our King but He is also our friend (John 15:15 "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.")

I will pray for you that you are guided by The Holy Spirit to know when and how to speak to your family. I wouldn't worry too much about exactly what to say because when the time comes The Holy Spirit will help you in what to say. I hope you have an amazing walk with Jesus and I'm so happy to hear that you have heard and listened to God's call in your life :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rsj13

Feb 24, 2019
England
✟22,766.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome to CF! :wave:

It depends some on your family's attitude toward religion. If they're anti-religious, you may find some opposition from them. If they're just uninterested in religion, then they may see your faith as an odd hobby you've taken up, like stamp collecting. Or, if they can see that it is a positive new aspect to your life, they may support you, even if they don't share your beliefs. Do you have a sense of which category they fall into?

My best advice is to show them the positive effects of Christianity on your life. Tell them how it brings you peace, or deeper meaning in life, or more compassion for people, or whatever other positive effects your faith has had, and they may at least come to value the role that your faith is playing in your life.

When I decided to be confirmed in the Episcopal church, my agnostic office-mate supported me, not because she agreed with my beliefs, but because she was my friend and could see that this was an important positive step for me. I hope you can find that kind of love and friendship from your family.
My family are not anti-religious they're just uninterested and don't have anything against it which makes it easier. Thank you so much for your help. :)

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

rsj13

Feb 24, 2019
England
✟22,766.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Congratulations.

Obviously I don't know your family. But I know people coming from a similar background who have converted. And typically, it's just a matter of time until a family member suggests that one possible motivation for the conversion is rebellion. I'm not predicting that will come up when you discuss this matter with your family members. But it may.

As a general thing, I find that Christians tend to use a lot of esoteric jargon. "The Lord laid it on my heart...", "I feel called to..." and the like. Things like that tend not to make any sense at all to the average atheist.

It may be best to tailor your explanation to your family in a way that they'll understand and relate to. Either way, congratulations again and good luck!
I want to start out by saying I 100% believe that God spoke to you, whatever way that may have been. If you can hold onto that and not let go of it I guarantee you will add to your collection of times in which God supernaturally reached out to you in some way or another, and if you will see it, each experience will be like a brick used to build upon your foundation that is your faith.

Now, when it comes to letting your family know that you are now a Christian, who knows, maybe they will not be bothered by it, but even if they are know that God is with you and supports you always, even if you can't see Him there with you. Pray to Jesus to constantly remind you of His Presence and why it is you decided to follow Him, He will do that. Jesus is not only our King but He is also our friend (John 15:15 "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.")

I will pray for you that you are guided by The Holy Spirit to know when and how to speak to your family. I wouldn't worry too much about exactly what to say because when the time comes The Holy Spirit will help you in what to say. I hope you have an amazing walk with Jesus and I'm so happy to hear that you have heard and listened to God's call in your life :)

You've both been so helpful and thank you so much for your kind words:)

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello and welcome to CF! I woud like to echo and agree with SeventhFisherOfMen.

I too, turned away from my life of going my own way, while I was at the university, & turned to the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive me of my sins & to walk in obedience to Him as my Lord & Savior. I simply told people my simple testimony when asked for the reason my life had changed. People saw the life of Christ in me & knew there was something different about me, as I had joy & was concerned about others & was making amends for the wrongs I had done. I also had to tell my parents & my siblings & cousins what had happened. As a result, many also repented & turned to follow Christ. I continue to pray for those who haven't come to know Him yet. Remember, parents will watch more what you do than what you say. They have watched you grow up. They know the you before your conversion. Be consistent in loving them, appreciating all they have done for you & reflecting the new life of Christ in you. They will see the change & realize this isn't just some phase or fad you are going through. Keep your testimony simple yet honest & that you are continuing your goals in working hard at college & getting your degree. Here are some considerations:

"A month ago (or however long it was the day you converted & choose to follow Jesus Christ as His disciple) I knew about the concept of God & wondered whether He existed or not. I have investigated the claims & learned the teachings ABOUT Jesus Christ, that most learned scholars say did exist. After investigating his claims, I made a decision to follow Him & am seeking to live by what He taught. Today I now KNOW Him personally as my Savior & am walking in a relationship with Him. He did rise from the dead & lives today. I now know Him! It has changed my life & turned it around. Last month I had learned about God. Today I know Jesus Christ personally. He is real. He is not just a person in history but One whom I now follow & from whom I am now learning. I know I am forgiven of the wrongs I have done in my life & am seeking to walk in love, forgiving & helping others.

You (speaking to your parents) have taught me how to be the best I can be and how to think critically & independently. For that I am very grateful. You taught me how to grow up, be mature & be responsible & I continue to strive to do that. As a result, I have investigated the life & teachings of Jesus Christ & have come to believe in Him & what He taught. I am seeking to learn more & to be a true follower of Him & the good things He taught. I just wanted to let you know what has happened in my life, as I seek to study hard at the university & finish my degree.
John 8:31-36 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth & the truth will set you free.” 33They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants & have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?” 34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. 35“The slave does not remain in the house forever; the Son does remain forever. 36“So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

I hope this is helpful & I will be praying for you. I am glad to see you are seeking to be baptized as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. See my other post on CF that might be of help also:
Confused Christian

• Winner
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
why do you feel obligated to tell them about this? why not just live your life?

I agree. It simply doesn't need to be an issue. The old saying that discussing religion and politics in polite company is a bad idea still holds true. It's a private part of your life, and if they are decent people, they will respect that.

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey RSJ, great news, God bless you! I went thru similar family issues when I accepted Christ as my Savior. From my experience, you need to be open about your faith but go slow. I wouldn't engage in lengthy arguments or debates. Learn all you can from God's word and the counsel of older Christians. If your family becomes bitter or angry, they will watch you and if you slip up, they will pounce on it. Remember
your sanctification is a process and it takes time, don't be discouraged or lose your vision if you have small setbacks. And place your joy and hope on God's word, not on your feelings as feelings come and go.

"but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;"

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟924,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know where you're coming from. My father doesn't believe in Jesus like at all. But, he does admit that a God could possibly exist. My mother on the other hand sort of does believe in Jesus I guess. My mother's salvation status is questionable at best. She believes in Jesus to a point but when you get down to the blunt question of "Do you believe that Jesus died for your sins and that you have to accept Jesus to go to heaven?" She probably would say no. My mom believes in her good works. That God will see her good works and accept her into heaven basically. So... I would say that my mother isn't saved nor believes in Jesus.

Anyway, when I told my parents that I had converted to Christianity 7 years ago it was kind of an awkward discussion. My dad was kind of like "Well I don't share your faith. But, I had pretended to believe in Jesus for a girl when I was younger and pretended to be knowledgeable on the bible." I mean I guess my dad had accepted that I didn't share his viewpoints on God and salvation. Back when I was an atheist my dad was kind of glad that I was "thinking outside the box and accepting reality" his words not mine. My mom kind of thought that I should be a Catholic and trust more on my works instead of trusting in Jesus. But I guess she was happy that I had accepted Jesus to a point.

My advice to you is this, you have to tell your family even if they don't share your faith. Because that's how we spread the word of God and they might accept the word of God and become Christians themselves. It is an awkward conversation to have to unbelievers or people with questionable beliefs like my parents. But there's always a chance that they will convert too when they later see the changes in your life that only Christ can bring. I hope I helped.

Upvote 0

Susan Roberts

Mar 5, 2019
Viroqua
✟7,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm rejoicing with you! You have made the most important decision of your life! It's certainly not easy to step out in faith to follow Jesus when your family doesn't hold the same beliefs. Yet, your life can be an example of the way God loves His children. Yes, your family will have questions and may even be upset with you. All you need to do is speak the truth in love. It's very important that you also surround yourself with a church family who can support and encourage you. Find someone who can disciple you and teach you about the Bible and how to live a Christian life. I'm praying that you will continue to walk with the Lord and love your family!

Upvote 0