• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Actually Assessing the Debate

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Bobber, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,115
    Non-Denom
    This thread is about assessing the actual Biden-Trump debate. I'd like it to go beyond mere surface reasoning who looked calm, who looked in control who this or that.

I'll say a couple of things about the other but let's talk about policies.

On the other....Did Trump tend to interrupt. Maybe more than Biden BUT....Biden did too and in my opinion did something worse.....he called Trump names of which I'll seek not to go into mentioning. So with both gentlemen I think the criticism of either comes out as a wash.

When one really gets down to substantial points though I might be biased but I consider the President scored on what should be considered noteworthy in his favor.

Biden refused....refused to say if he'd stand against stacking the Courts. There was no reason he shouldn't have answered. A good solid question in my opinion.

Also on law and order and let's face it....that's MAJOR. If Biden claims he's the one who can bring people together why is it the Police Unions back Trump? They don't trust Mr Biden and they don't believe he has their back. I think that's very important to The People to for they want the Police to know they back them and I'm sure are moved by their sentiments on just who cares about them.

And as for me I think Joe's stance on Trump's covid response is somewhat lame as there's no indication there'd be a lost less lives lost if the Dems were in control. And I don't think Joe gives hardly if any consideration of just what all other damage is being done in locking things forever down. I'm guessing there might be some good people here not in agreement with my assessments? What are yours, and not just on how they communicated with each other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,129
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    I thought it was a pretty terrible debate all around. Trump was overly aggressive from the start. Biden was jumping around without making logical, consistent arguments.

Ultimately I think Biden got the better part, largely because of the sections towards the end on voting, vote counting, and accepting the outcome no matter what. Trump handled those questions particularly poorly.

I think Wallace did a decent job given the circumstances, and I am glad that he held the fire to Biden's feet on some things that haven't yet been talked about.

I do think that was an important point in Trump's favor, but it all depended on Trump's riposte regarding lack of police support for Biden. Up until that point Biden was doing alright.

3. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,504
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't think that debate will change any minds. Neither was able to verbally knock out the other.

4. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+6,606
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Tone and temperament is a significant part of the "actual debate". It was made the greater part by it's absence.

Judge for yourselves who sunk lowest on that score.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Lady Bug

Lady Bug Let's get real Supporter

+8,300
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It was painful to watch. Even Jerry Springer would have been better to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,115
    Non-Denom
    I'm not sure what I think about the mail in ballot situation. I do wonder though if there's found to be serous numbers of questionable things that occur how much faith can people even have in elections? If all faith becomes lost then really the country is lost. To me it'd be looking at The Statue of Liberty in the sand like in the great film "Planet of the Apes" A once great country....GONE. It's hard to describe just what type of nation you could call it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+5,160
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I enjoyed it immensely. I hope the next circus has a clown car though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+3,421
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Criticizing someone for namecalling as a Trump supporter doesn't really hold water, IMO. That's pretty much Trump's whole schtick in politics so far. Biden definitely stooped lower than he usually does, which could count against him, but I don't think he crossed any lines.

A solid question, but he had nothing to gain by answering it. Either answer would lose him a lot of support.

Police unions are part of the problem at the moment. They're the ones who protect the bad apples that are spoiling the bunch. I'm not sure why you're putting so much stock in what they say, beyond the fact that they support your guy.

I think it's safe to say that Trump has done a poor job by just about any metric. Could Biden have done better? Maybe, maybe not. Anything he says now is with the benefit of hindsight, though there were quite a few decisions that Trump made that were heavily criticized at the time and indeed turned out to be bad ideas. Far more lame is Trump's assertion that Biden would have definitely done worse than him. It's one thing to take an objectively poor job and say that you could have done better. It's a bit more self-serving to look at your objectively poor job and say that someone else would have done worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+4,648
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I thought that Biden’s performance was lackluster but next to Trump he seemed focused, calm, and well prepared with policies in place. Trump had no policies to speak of and seemed to think that if he let Biden talk, Biden would win. Biden laughed too much and took way too much of Trump’s bait. Chris Wallace needs to be far tougher. There have to be consequences for refusing to follow the rules.

10. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <><

+6,224
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I met someone today that told me that Trump hadn't prepared for the debate. It showed. All he had was his usual rhetoric.

11. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+16,443
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The police unions back Trump because they’re the most openly abusive, self-absorbed, authoritarian pigs in a field riddled with abusive, self-absorbed, authoritarian pigs and that’s exactly the sort of dim-witted macho attitude that Trump plays to. Whenever I see a statement excusing some blatantly abusive action on the part of the cops or making some asinine argument about how they should be afforded more leeway and less oversight, it’s almost always from some union or PBA rather than the police brass. It’s like the different union bosses compete with each other to see who can be the grossest and most tone-deaf.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  12. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,129
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Police support Trump, whether it's unions or fraternal organizations (such as FOP). And no, it's not because all police unions are inherently evil. Biden is simply tied up in an anti-police party, and no one thinks he is strong enough to hold back the tide.

13. LostMarbels

LostMarbels All-Lives-Matter

+3,587
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    It was a dumpster fire. It was horrible in my point of view. I don't even think Trump walked into this debate prepared, or taking Biden seriously. I also did not like the nanny like moderation. Chris Wallace is not the individual running for office. It should be Biden defending his stance and presenting his own platform. I do not want to see a Wallace Trump debate.

I do not like such sterile environment considering the people these individuals will have to contend with once they are in office. I feel both of them need to be called out by each other and defend their positions. Not have the moderator directing the entire event.

Neither of them ever got to make a case, prove their point, or discuss a topic before that issue was shut down and the next topic was posed. Need more free and open dialogue between candidates. Less direction from moderators.

14. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+16,443
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The unions aren’t inherently evil; they just choose to be. Why would they not support a candidate who openly approves of their violent methods? Who wants to bring accountability and oversight on themselves when they don’t have to?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. johneb

johneb Member

+138
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Trump gets things done that help us. Biden has done nothing to help us in his 47 years in government that record speaks for its self. Just ask a vet or someone that lost a job to China. Trump is on a mission to make America great again and the democrats are not.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  16. NxNW

NxNW Active Member

+238
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Other than health care, fixing the economy from the Bush Recession, taking out Bin Laden, and creating jobs, what has Biden done for us?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,115
    Non-Denom
    You might be right. I'm guessing on their future meets Trump might spend more time with ones who'd help him prepare. When it came his points about policies I still think his message resonates with the American people and his concerns raised about the Dems and Biden being in office. At the end of the day when people ask who would be able to bring back the economy I think the answer from most will still be Trump. Plus other things.

It did seem awkward where rebuttals should have been allowed for both candidates it seemed forced to the next subject. I know Wallace would claim he had just too many subjects but still.....didn't quite feel just right.

18. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 contemplative humanist Supporter

+12,402
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    So much for "sleepy Joe".

Biden made more of an attempt to actually connect with a wider variety of people. Trump engaged in a great many logical fallacies of relevance, like tu quoque, red herrings, etc.

Biden called names, but his descriptions of Trump are generally more or less accurate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,115
    Non-Denom
    On things improving in the ecomomy during Obama's time I tend to think it was because the Feds kept interest rates at around 0 % throughout all his term.

What??? Biden did that? I think when you follow up with some study you'd discover Biden did no such thing. He was against and opposed the taking out of Bin Laden. Even Political acknowledges this.

Biden's 'no' on bin Laden raid could haunt him in 2016

20. LostMarbels

LostMarbels All-Lives-Matter

+3,587
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    It was too restrained. Several times it felt like the debate was led back onto it's prescribed topic. I honestly hope the Joe Rogan thing happens. Even if Biden isn't there, Rogan will drill Trump no care given. I like when a topic is poised, and the two have to defend their positions. I do not like directed questions that have veiled implications nor heavy-handed moderation that does not allow the candidates to expose themselves. Let Trump go on his rant. Let Biden have his own rant. I want to see responses in the raw. Not some regulated PC staged campaign responses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List