Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Glass of the window is thick.

They tried sliding glass doors to let the fresh air in, but that did not work too well:D

Even thin glass will give a partial reflection at times. It is very hard to make the Hubble dark inside since people are working. It does not take a lot of light to get an interior reflection off of glass.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They tried sliding glass doors to let the fresh air in, but that did not work too well:D

Even thin glass will give a partial reflection at times. It is very hard to make the Hubble dark inside since people are working. It does not take a lot of light to get an interior reflection off of glass.
The photo was taken from inside the Space Shuttle :)
It would be pretty difficult to get a photo of the outside of the Hubble Telescope from inside the Hubble Telescope.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why does the hubble itself have a reflection?
Just in case you don't understand the physics, the double image is caused by light being reflected and refracted by the thick glass of the window. The main image is light coming straight through the glass, but a small amount of light is reflected internally in the glass resulting in the dim second image offset from the original.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The photo was taken from inside the Space Shuttle :)
It would be pretty difficult to get a photo of the outside of the Hubble Telescope from inside the Hubble Telescope.
Dang it! For some odd reason I conflated the Hubble with the ISS. I did correct him on the interior reflection in an earlier post, but I missed his mistake of claiming that it was from the Hubble. The Hubble is also for very distant objects. Satellites are too close for it.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have my mind up because I know. I do have scientific evidence that supports me. There is no scientific evidence for the Flat Earth model. And I bet I can get you to tacitly admit it.
The people that fully believe in the FE feel the same way you do. Saying "I know" is nothing.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The people that fully believe in the FE feel the same way you do. Saying "I know" is nothing.
Correct. I can do more than say "I know". You can't. All you have is belief. But before I show you how you are wrong I need to know what sort of Flat Earther that you are. Does that sound reasonable? I do not want to be accused of making a strawman argument. Will you answer questions about your beliefs?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Al Gore was not that bad, but yes. He was wrong about how immediate the problem was. It is not a problem for me, it will be a problem for my children, and an even bigger one for my grandchildren.

And don't blame others if you do not know how to find a valid source. You should be asking how to do that. Here is what you need when someone claims to be an expert:

Go to Google Scholar. Enter their name into the search bar and see if they have peer reviewed articles at well respected professional journals in that topic. If they do you are good to go. It does not guarantee that they are correct, but it does show that they can at least properly support their arguments.
Do you not realize that there are, in fact, intelligent and accredited scientists that dismiss the "man made" part of "climate change"?

To state that there is no "climate change" is moronic. To state that it is man made and we are somehow going to control the climate of this huge earth... is arrogant at least and futile in reality.

I will believe that the ultra powerful and wealthy and those in control really care... when they go back to making TV's, fridges, washers and dryers, furnaces, and lawn mowers that last 40 years. I will believe that governments care and are concerned when they mandate that manufactured appliences must have componants that can be swapped out and replaced with reasonably priced replacement componants. Instead of throwing away all that electronic material, wires, metal and plastic due to the planned obsolecense of one main part that costs more to replace than purchasing a new unit.

The carbon footprint to manufacture, warehouse, ship and deliver them to the end user... of all these devices is huge... If carbon footprint really matters.. they would easily fix it.

It's a farce. It makes people wealthy. It makes good scare mongering media headlines. It pits one person against another.

I lived when they were scaring us with a coming ice age.... when there was an "energy crisis".... What are they going to do when 12 years goes by and nothing has happened? Start another panic with some other farce.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Correct. I can do more than say "I know". You can't. All you have is belief. But before I show you how you are wrong I need to know what sort of Flat Earther that you are. Does that sound reasonable? I do not want to be accused of making a strawman argument. Will you answer questions about your beliefs?
I don't hold to either. I'm still researching. I do believe one thing for sure... the earth is not like they are telling us.
Something is not right.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Do you not realize that there are, in fact, intelligent and accredited scientists that dismiss the "man made" part of "climate change"?6+

To state that there is no "climate change" is moronic. To state that it is man made and we are somehow going to control the climate of this huge earth... is arrogant at least and futile in reality.

I will believe that the ultra powerful and wealthy and those in control really care... when they go back to making TV's, fridges, washers and dryers, furnaces, and lawn mowers that last 40 years. I will believe that governments care and are concerned when they mandate that manufactured appliences must have componants that can be swapped out and replaced with reasonably priced replacement componants. Instead of throwing away all that electronic material, wires, metal and plastic due to the planned obsolecense of one main part that costs more to replace than purchasing a new unit.

The carbon footprint to manufacture, warehouse, ship and deliver them to the end user... of all these devices is huge... If carbon footprint really matters.. they would easily fix it.

It's a farce. It makes people wealthy. It makes good scare mongering media headlines. It pits one person against another.

I lived when they were scaring us with a coming ice age.... when there was an "energy crisis".... What are they going to do when 12 years goes by and nothing has happened? Start another panic with some other farce.

There are a handful of scientists that disagree. So what? I doubt if you can find any experts that disagree. But then you probably do not understand what the obvious requirements are to be an expert.

And no, it is not arrogant to state that it is man made. We have overwhelming evidence that it is manmade. You yourself appear to have no education in the sciences so you do not know how this has been proven to be the case.

And a carbon footprint is not that easy to fix, at least I am unaware of it. How you support this claim?

You appear to be all over the place in this post. How about supporting your claims properly. One at a time. If you can ask questions politely and properly about AGW I will answer them for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't hold to either. I'm still researching. I do believe one thing for sure... the earth is not like they are telling us.
Something is not right.

An inability to understand does not mean that something is not right.

All Flat Earth claims have been refuted. So why believe it at all?

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I understand your view. I wish I could find the article that I had from before but it is increasingly hard to find anything that leans toward the FE model. I had an article that quoted sea fairing captains that had errors in their navigation when the curvature was factored in.

The FE movement of late has had a great effect on what you find when you search for such things.

The issue here is simply scale. A flat earth would be obvious to pilots and sailors who go across the world in the southern hemisphere which according to the most common flat earth model has the biggest distance differences to a round earth model.

Funnily I was scrolling through programs on amazon prime, a there was a bit about the International Space Station and showed the view of the earth sped up. You can clearly see the curvature of the earth from the window.

And this is the problem for FE followers. You do not have to make up the globe model, you just see it.
The only way we can define truth is by distinguishing between models with an experiment and then looking at the results. I have mentioned at least 6 different simple predictions and the results and the answer given was nothing. So the science proves the world is a globe.

Now we could wake up tomorrow and find it is all a projection, but we can only go on what we know today and the experiments that show results. What is interesting is truth is very subjective to individuals and one can filter out results you do not like and accept views you do and become convinced one is right. It is why I always remain open minded to evidence. God bless you

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Something is not right.
Do you understand the concept of a water level, and how viewing the horizon from different elevations with the water level proves the curvature of the earth?

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At the end of the day, the biggest issue for me is what the Bible teaches. I would have never gone near the so-called flat earth view if it was not all over the Bible. Most of you believers who refute flat earth use science as your textbook and not the word of God. None of your arguments are backed by Bible verses. The same pattern is everywhere in Christiandom, take the Bible and put it around your beliefs, traditions, and other comfort zones. Never go to any verses that might contradict what you believe. This is kept in "conspiracy theories" so people can avoid going to the word of God for their answers. Who cares what you and I say. What say God?

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An inability to understand does not mean that something is not right.

All Flat Earth claims have been refuted. So why believe it at all?
Okay, help me understand this. How does the earth spin, then go around the sun, as the sun travels, etc (all at what speeds). How does all this go on yet our constellations, or celestial sky, move at snail pace, almost remaining still and maintaining their positions exactly? Are they moving at lightspeed too? Is everything spinning? Is there a model of this? ...and yes, I'm getting dizzy.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, help me understand this. How does the earth spin, then go around the sun, as the sun travels, etc (all at what speeds). How does all this go on yet our constellations, or celestial sky, move at snail pace, almost remaining still and maintaining their positions exactly? Are they moving at lightspeed too? Is everything spinning? Is there a model of this? ...and yes, I'm getting dizzy.
If you are walking forward from the rear of a train carriage towards the dining car on a high speed train, are you travelling at 3mph or 150mph?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now consider if the high speed rail runs East-West along the equator. From the viewpoint of the moon's surface the train would be travelling at 1037mph (plus or minus the train's land speed, depending on which way it is travelling)
From the reference point of the other train passengers, you are still only travelling at 3mph

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Actually, Pete... you would be surprized. Have you listened to any of their talks?
Yes. I saw a couple of you tube presentations when I first realised that some people still believe FE. I found nothing that would change mind. Until someone can prove it is flat, I'll stick with what I know. Since it is not flat, as has been proven empirically, I'm not holding my breath.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Acts2:38Apologetics

Jan 6, 2022
NSW
✟16,265.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Glass of the window is thick.
We have two reflections. One from the "inside of the spacecraft" that the astronaut is in, and another from the underside of the hubble. Thats two planes, or two faces / projections. Its not enough to say "the glass is thick" Even with triple glazing, the glass can't reflect something if there is no face to reflect off.

Upvote 0