• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Abortion: The Real Reason Why States are Passing Laws Against It

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by zephcom, May 23, 2019.

1. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+6,803
    Agnostic
    Married
    I find this hard to credit when there are proven methods of reducing abortion that are passed over. I also find it hard to credit when pro-life people keep bringing up women's sexual behavior and how they hope limiting abortion will cause it to change.

But that is kind of the issue. It is not always up to women and their partners. As you say even in cases where increased protection is used there is a possibility of procreation. Christians might not of caused that but some are certainly fighting to ensure there are limited options in dealing with it.

Let me ask you a question. If you could reduce abortions now through enacting measures that will help women in need and there is no political resistance why would that not be your first step? Why would you focus on the piece that is very difficult and contentious?

Yes, a handful. But their voices are drowned out by those who wish to restrict abortion without being willing to address the underlying causes of their choice.

2. tall73

tall73 Sophia7's husband Supporter

+2,690
    Christian
    Married
    I posted it because almost one hundred percent is not one hundred percent. Even the most effective on the list would indicate one pregnancy out of 1,000 women over a years time.

Is it better than no contraception for preventing pregnancy? Of course. But it still results in unplanned pregnancies.

How am I ignoring it? In multiple threads we have had the discussion that accurate information, etc. regarding abstinence, birth control, etc. are important.

Half of abortions is still way too many abortions because it is NOT about control for me, it is actually about the notion that it is a child.

That is why I personally waited to have sex until I was ready for the possibility of having a child. Because if you are fertile then to have sex is to open up that possibility.

3. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,561
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Here in Canada, the total cost to us for pre natal care, delivery and post natal care for our two daughters was $0.00 Abortions are also $0.00.The abortion rate in the USA is about 50% above that of Canada.

4. tall73

+2,690
    Christian
    Married
    I have not argued for passing over them.

5. tall73

+2,690
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you, that illustrates the problem well.

6. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+6,803
    Agnostic
    Married
    Understood and I respect your position. However the vast majority of pro-life folks have passed them over. They would rather do the hard lift then the easy lift.

7. tall73

+2,690
    Christian
    Married
    Women, men, etc. I hope behavior changes that caused children in the womb to die.

8. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+1,157
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Ok no prob. : )

9. tall73

+2,690
    Christian
    Married
    We cannot control the possibility of pregnancy, but we can control our behavior (willingly, not due to law would be my preference).

But even after the pregnancy that does not demand aborting. My wife and I used contraception for a time. In fact, we even used timing methods for a time, knowing it was less effective (with the help of a device that measures temps etc.) We would prefer not to have a child in our first couple years of marriage, but if we did there was no question we would raise the child. So we accepted the reality of the possibility of pregnancy and acted responsibly within that.

I think it should be the first step! All the data says poverty and fatherlessness, etc. indicate the highest likelihood. I don't have a magic wand to make it happen, however. And our two party system limits any voice but the establishment. And the establishment doesn't want a party that is against war, for addressing needs, and pro-life.

But that doesn't change the morality of ending a pregnancy. Other people's thoughts don't determine my view of right and wrong. They may make it tougher to take action to help. But as several posters have indicated I don't think the main reason people change is the law. I think most people change because of changed thinking, so I spend most of my time worrying about that, because most of the things I care about politically are a long-shot.

10. Jermayn

Jermayn New Member

+12
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    There's a reason God speaks against sex before marriage and adultery. I'm not going to tell you it's ok to murder your kids to make you feel better because you didn't listen.

11. ChicanaRose

+1,157
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Child of Mercy - Chastity

12. ChicanaRose

+1,157
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yeah, me three. Even though I am still prolife, I am not at all fond of the approach. The end doesn't justify the means because without love, the movement amounts to nothing (1 Cor. 13:1-3).

13. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+2,425
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Which would be great, because that would be an enormous reduction in unplanned pregnancies.

14. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,691
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Oh sure! As if I can't live in peace unless I can control every woman's sexuality. :rolleyes:
    The very idea doesn't even make sense. It's more of a stall tactic just to put pro-lifers on the defensive.

15. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,691
    Non-Denom
    Single
    One reason is because places like Planned "Parenthood" are good at portraying a woman's unborn baby as less than human--as just some sort of unwanted growth that needs to be removed to improve the woman's life. Makes the whole abortion process seem so simple, so harmless, and without consequence.

16. ChicanaRose

+1,157
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Exactly. And somehow, the murder in our hearts (Matt. 5:22, 1 John 3:15) against pregnant women is excusable.

"Unplanned pregnancy, oftentimes, is categorized by the church as a more significant sin that perhaps lying, cheating, stealing, or any of the other sins that God detests"

Why Single Moms Don't Go To Church - The Life of a Single Mom

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,691
    Non-Denom
    Single

Pregnancy is murder?

18. ChicanaRose

+1,157
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Hatred is murder. (Please refer to the verses I included). Perhaps I could have phrased it better: murder in our hearts "committed" against pregnant women.

19. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,579
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    "Murder your kids"? LOL

Welcome to CF.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member