Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I got this commentary in my e-mail today:

Is Common Ground on Abortion Possible?

It is written by the liberal Evangelical Pastor Jim Wallis. He makes the call for liberals and conservatives to come together to end the reasons why women have abortions instead of just passing laws against it. He details many of the things in American life which cause women to seek abortions. He says fixing those reasons would result in a large drop in abortions.

I agree with him and have for years tried to get people to understand that making laws won't protect any fetus. Ending the stigma of being a single woman with a child (the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] syndrome), paying women a family wage, working towards making child care available for the working mother, health care that is affordable and...the one I noticed wasn't on Pastor Wallis' list...getting American men to view a single mother as a valuable candidate for a mate BECAUSE she chose not to abort.

But, after reading the commentary, the thought came to me...What if all this has nothing at all to do with abortion. What if conservatives really don't give a rat's behind about giving women a reason not to abort? What if the REAL reason they are trying to legally end abortions is really about simply getting their religious dogma engraved in American law?

If that is right, is there any reason to think that will be end of their desire get their religious dogma engraved in American law? Are we headed for a Christian version of the Taliban?

Last edited:

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
At some point, society really needs to recognize that single motherhood is an objectively bad thing with objectively bad results. The social safety net can be expanded as wide as the liberals want and the results won't change.

One reason I support ending abortion nationwide is precisely because women just might have to think twice about being physical with men whom they don't like. If Planned Parenthood and the nanny state aren't there to bail these women out of their bad decisions, who knows? They just might make better decisions.

Are we headed for a Christian version of the Taliban?
I very much doubt it.

But we can hope.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One reason I support ending abortion nationwide is precisely because women just might have to think twice about being physical with men whom don't like. If Planned Parenthood and the nanny state aren't there to bail these women out of their bad decisions, who knows? They just might make better decisions.

Indeed! We need to punish those dirty, dirty irresponsible women.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

What do you think? Was the person who said:

One reason I support ending abortion nationwide is precisely because women just might have to think twice about being physical with men whom they don't like.

A male or female? How many of us really believe that we're being overrun by women who are having sexual relations with men that they don't like?

Is there any chance that it's really men having relations with women that they don't really like?

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The despicable act of taking a human life has to the the number one reason for stopping abortions, closely followed by the harm to the mum. I cant think of a less deserving reason to be killed. The health of a society can be measured by how we treat the vulnerable. The most vulnerable are the youngest and the oldest. Time to consider other options.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The despicable act of taking a human life has to the the number one reason for stopping abortions, closely followed by the harm to the mum. I cant think of a less deserving reason to be killed. The health of a society can be measured by how we treat the vulnerable. The most vulnerable are the youngest and the oldest. Time to consider other options.

I suspect that you have decided for all that abortions actually are 'taking a human life'. -I- happen to think that it makes no sense whatsoever for God to put a human spirit into a body until the body is actually able to support that spirit.

No one would ever think of putting a pilot in a future airplane until it was finished being made.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We basically throw away the old people as it is, so why not the unborn? We don't even know them as well as the old people.

• Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But, after reading the commentary, the thought came to me...What if all this has nothing at all to do with abortion. What if conservatives really don't give a rat's behind about giving women a reason not to abort? What if the REAL reason they are trying to legally end abortions is really about simply getting their religious dogma engraved in American law?

If that is right, is there any reason to think that will be end of their desire get their religious dogma engraved in American law? Are we headed for a Christian version of the Taliban?
How then would you explain that the Alabama Governor, who is a woman, signed it into law?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I got this commentary in my e-mail today:

Is Common Ground on Abortion Possible?

It is written by the liberal Evangelical Pastor Jim Wallis. He makes the call for liberals and conservatives to come together to end the reasons why women have abortions instead of just passing laws against it. He details many of the things in American life which cause women to seek abortions. He says fixing those reasons would result in a large drop in abortions.

I agree with him and have for years tried to get people to understand that making laws won't protect any fetus. Ending the stigma of being a single woman with a child (the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] syndrome), paying women a family wage, working towards making child care available for the working mother, health care that is affordable and...the one I noticed wasn't on Pastor Wallis' list...getting American men to view a single mother as a valuable candidate for a mate BECAUSE she chose not to abort.

For me, it's not about legislating my religion, I have a libertarian streak. For me, it's that unborn lives matter. We have laws against murdering your neighbor, raping women and children, and assaulting passersby because the victims matter. They are too valuable to let those who attack them go unchecked and unpunished. We do not relegate deterrence of these crimes exclusively to winning hearts and minds. I would like to see a significant fraction of that level of care given to the unborn as well. If we are going to believe in using the law to relegate businesses, homes, food, drink, medication, family life, and education, then the law must protect all innocent human life when doing so would not simultaneously endanger innocent human life (the mothers, in this case).

Winning hearts and minds is good, but the human dignity of the unborn has a high enough value to demand legal protection as well.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
For me, it's not about legislating my religion, I have a libertarian streak. For me, it's that unborn lives matter. We have laws against murdering your neighbor, raping women and children, and assaulting passersby because the victims matter. They are too valuable to let those who attack them go unchecked and unpunished. We do not relegate deterrence of these crimes exclusively to winning hearts and minds. I would like to see a significant fraction of that level of care given to the unborn as well. If we are going to believe in using the law to relegate businesses, homes, food, drink, medication, family life, and education, then the law must protect all innocent human life when doing so would not simultaneously endanger innocent human life (the mothers, in this case).

Winning hearts and minds is good, but the human dignity of the unborn has a high enough value to demand legal protection as well.

Unborn lives matter???? I will believe that when conservatives take the same stance on 'born lives'. When Christians refuse to join the military, campaign to end capital punishment and demand Flint, Michigan fix their water system THEN maybe that claim will pass muster.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
At some point, society really needs to recognize that single motherhood is an objectively bad thing with objectively bad results. The social safety net can be expanded as wide as the liberals want and the results won't change.

One reason I support ending abortion nationwide is precisely because women just might have to think twice about being physical with men whom they don't like. If Planned Parenthood and the nanny state aren't there to bail these women out of their bad decisions, who knows? They just might make better decisions.

I very much doubt it.

But we can hope.

Thank you for your honesty. It is good to see what we have long suspected but most pro-life people deny. This is about controlling women's sexuality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

So you are on board with the pastors suggestion of working on the underlying reasons women choose abortion rather then trying to outlaw it?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are Atheists against abortion, how would that fit into this religious dogma engraved in American law?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed! We need to punish those dirty, dirty irresponsible women.

I consider you a friend, Usincognito, and with that in mind, I would like to share my opinion with you on the abortion issue. I don't support abortion. I literally can't as a mother of nine children and as a social justice and political activist. I've dedicated almost thirty years of my life to being a voice for the marginalized, the helpless and the vulnerable. And in my heart, that is what unborn children are.

And for me personally, opposing abortion, even ending legalized abortion, isn't about punishing the women who have had abortion. It's about saving the lives of the unborn. It's about being their voice and defending their life. I've defended the lives and the rights of Native Americans, other minorities, LGBT, the poor, the disabled, single mothers, battered women, women's rights to be treated equally to men, orphans, and abused children. I wouldn't be morally consistent if I didn't defend the lives of the unborn too. I want to help women who feel they have no other choice than to abort their unborn child. And I have done that in the past. I don't want to hurt or punish anyone for their choices. I just want to help people and I've spent the majority of my life doing that. I can't turn my back on unborn children.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I know what Stockholm syndrome is. Are you suggesting that all women who are against abortion are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

I can't speak for every single one of them. But try to be a woman living in Alabama who thinks abortion should be an option. Who would it be safe to say that to??

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0