A year alone on Mars? For how much money?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unstable geography seems a very weird reason to be worried about Mars.

Now obviously it's hard to get a very good look at the place, but all evidence points to it being geologically dead.

If you want dangerous geology I have been to Tokyo, Awkland and San Francisco... all cool places, but i could have been buried in an earth quake.
Or he can set up camp on IO.

That should keep him hopping!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why the obsession with/against subterranean Martian boogedies? :)

I'm on board with the do it for free crew, but I have a few questions. How bout the quarters/living conditioners offered? Soundproof building, plenty of good food/drink? What things are allowed to keep busy with? Will doing some type of research be a part of the deal?

Aside from going to Mars, what exactly would be the arrangements?

Oh, and how thick is that floor going to be? :oops:
Plenty of scientific projects o stay busy.
Good soundproof shelter with a thick floor.
Good food.

BTW Why are you so concerned about floor thickness?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because of the subterranean meanies the OP was so concerned about...that spooked me. :)
Finally someone who takes my concern seriously! Yes I also would like a reinforced floor just to be on the safe side. Ever see the film Enemy Mine where the alien and his human friend are attacked from below? The hideous critter just came up from under the shelter's floor, wrapped it tentacle around the throat of one of them and began reeling him under.

Here is an example of how the creature hunts:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Finally someone who takes my concern seriously! Yes I also would like a reinforced floor just to be on the safe side. Ever see the film Enemy Mine where the alien and his human friend are attacked from below? The hideous critter just came up from under the shelter's floor, wrapped it tentacle around the throat of one of them and began reeling him under.

Here is an example of how the creature hunts:

Reminds me of when as kids we used to drop ants into the trap of what we used to call Sand Dabbers or Ant Lions, but with tentacles.

Good Movie BTW, seen it a few times.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Reminds me of when as kids we used to drop ants into the trap of what we used to call Sand Dabbers or Ant Lions, but with tentacles.

Good Movie BTW, seen it a few times.

Thanks for the fascinating video. I had no idea that such a creature existed. Stupid ant just goes right into the trap. Amazing how that ant lion knows that it can stop the ant's escape by hurling sand at it. There is a scene in that Enemy Mine film where it shows the human being dragged into that pit. That is one reason why I would find noises surrounding my Martian shelter worrisome. I mean, what do we really know about what lurks below? Nothing! That is the reason I would personally not accept the challenge to go alone to that place regardless of the money offered. Consider also that even if the floor is reinforced that doesn't stop any critter from constantly scraping or banging against it for the duration of your stay.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would definitely have more songs loaded up than just 10 disco favorites.
Ten disco favorites is indeed a rather meager amount of music to listen to for one year. I would take my guitar and hone up on my technique. Maybe take some college credit courses via the Internet. Stay active by exercise and by going outside and doing assigned work. That is if indeed I would agree to go which I would not. I find the trip there and back is actually equally or more challenging than the stay on the planet.

BTW
Some might reject the offer on religious grounds.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh no! Worried about the martians?
Admittedly my favorite Sci-Fi of all time.

THE%20MARTIAN%20CHRONICLES%20Jacket%20COVER.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=HzQXlPS48PQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=martian+chronicles&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYm5L5g7zPAhXHSCYKHR02C14Q6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=martian chronicles&f=false

Very interesting film and read. That was when we knew far less about Mars than we do now and were still free to conjecture convincingly along those sci-fi lines. There was also a time when we didn't know what was below the cloud cover of Venus and imagined a world with oceans. Both planets turned out to be a disappointment but Venus far more so. IMHO

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True! It definitely fascinating to be there and see for oneself how Mars looks. Yet, after all this time, I still would not accept the offer. I guess I simply have this overactive imagination what would wreak havoc with my nerves every time I heard or saw something that I could not readily explain. After all, lights have been seen hovering over the Martian surface. Also, this huge cigar-shaped object interfered with a Russian mission near one of the Martian moons, and was observed later high above the Martian surface confirming that it did exist. Those to factors alone are enough to spook me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am working through a bucket list of books and my calculations suggest that, at my present reading rate, I shall have to live into my nineties to complete them. A year on Mars, plus the transit time, could make serious inroads to the list.
So, like some others I would go for free and like one other I'll even make a small payment.
Would the experience make me insane? Would I notice? And on the plus side I wouldn't have to worry about a second Trump presidency, or reality TV shows. (Is there a difference?)
I'm packed.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Considering that there are at least thousands of more qualifeid people who would jump at the chance to go to Mars, I think I'd pass on any venture where they have to pay people to go. If all those people who are also well qualified to access the risks (perhaps mainly because of it being poorly funded and designed) and decide it is not worth it, I'll benefit from their expertise.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Stuck on Mars for a year with no human contact?

Sign me up! I'm an INTP personality type. The less people around me, the better. I just need some good games on a computer and I'm golden.

I'd go for a lot more than a year, but my health probably wouldn't hold up.

Upvote 0

the Vital One

Awaken
Dec 5, 2015
Illinois
✟44,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Living on Mars has never appealed to me. It has always baffled me why so many want to live in a place far less hospitable than the South Pole or the middle of the Sahara desert. I'd imagine any astronauts would be ready to return home at the first opportunity and the first colonists would regret their decision. Now if a sizable colony gets going and it was relatively easy to return to Earths when the planets aligned, that would be more appealing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Living on Mars has never appealed to me. It has always baffled me why so many want to live in a place far less hospitable than the South Pole or the middle of the Sahara desert. I'd imagine any astronauts would be ready to return home at the first opportunity and the first colonists would regret their decision. Now if a sizable colony gets going and it was relatively easy to return to Earths when the planets aligned, that would be more appealing.

A few posters, including me, have found the idea of total isolation particularly attractive in a new and different place. We are the 'Cabin-in-the-Wilderness-people'. My biggest fear would be boredom. I also have no problem with the idea of never returning perhaps because I don't become attached to a place.

I suspect there are two very distinct groups here who may not readily understand each other. Those who have a strong urge for companionship and those who don't.

You may be baffled by my attitude. I am equally baffled by yours.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
A few posters, including me, have found the idea of total isolation particularly attractive in a new and different place. We are the 'Cabin-in-the-Wilderness-people'. My biggest fear would be boredom. I also have no problem with the idea of never returning perhaps because I don't become attached to a place.

I suspect there are two very distinct groups here who may not readily understand each other. Those who have a strong urge for companionship and those who don't.

OB
I can (and do) live alone and not talk to anyone for days, sometimes even weeks - but I have a strong affinity for home. I think I could spend a year alone on Mars if I was kept busy, but I wouldn't like it - I'd get anxious and homesick.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
FrumiousBandersnatch said:

OB
I can (and do) live alone and not talk to anyone for days, sometimes even weeks - but I have a strong affinity for home. I think I could spend a year alone on Mars if I was kept busy, but I wouldn't like it - I'd get anxious and homesick.
Not sure if its already come up in this thread but, (FWIW), I don't think its in the least likely, for a Martian dweller to survive in complete isolation from other earthly dwelling humans.

The problem is a two-way one. The martian needs the information resources built up and residing within earthly civilisations .. and those civilisations could not completely cut themselves off from the martian, knowing there may be another human who needs their assistance in accessing those information repositories(?) Like it or not, we have a demonstrable collectively herding nature.

Personally speaking, I think its a temporary delusion for individuals to think they could survive in complete isolation. I think(?) there's plenty of evidence where those trying this approach, have ended up confronting re-establishment of connections with civilisation, or face their inevitable demise .. (?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neutral Observer

Nov 25, 2022
North America
✟27,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, give me a dog and I would have need of no other companionship. I actually prefer isolation. I made my last trip to the grocery store on Monday, so I likely won't be speaking to another human being until sometime in April. I find people to be little more than an annoyance.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
In my opinion, give me a dog and I would have need of no other companionship. I actually prefer isolation. I made my last trip to the grocery store on Monday, so I likely won't be speaking to another human being until sometime in April. I find people to be little more than an annoyance.
That may just be a temporary, (but recurrent), feeling though(?) .. I mean, you still connected with a human on your last trip, yes?

Upvote 0