God has prepared a Red Sea Moment -- Why do so few Christians see it? (Part 1)

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the 1998 movie Shakespeare in Love (spoiler alert), a young William Shakespeare is still trying to make a name for himself. The Deus ex machina tragicomedy depicts a long train of fortuitous (or providential) events that provides him with the inspiration for his most famous play (Romeo and Juliet) and the means to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles that appear to stand in the way of ever bringing it to the stage. The play (at least for purposes of the movie) turbocharges his career and "sets the stage" for his artistic immortality.

At one point in the movie the character of Philip Henslowe, the theater owner where Romeo and Juliet is to be staged, is threatened with violence by a creditor; the bubonic plague has closed Henslowe's theater and Romeo and Juliet cannot be shown, leaving Henslowe with no way to pay his debt. Henslowe tells his creditor not to worry, that nothing is awry because "the natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster." The creditor asks him what they need to do to avoid disaster, and Henslowe says, "Nothing. Strangely enough it all turns out well." When the skeptical creditor asks how things will turn out well, Henslowe replies, "I don't know, it's a mystery." A second later a town crier announces the theaters are reopened, saving Henslowe from a violent death. The words, "I don't know, it's a mystery," become Henslowe's catchphrase in the movie. When other characters repeatedly ask him how the show can possibly go on in light of insurmountable obstacles that keep popping up to block it, Henslowe tells them, "I don't know, it's a mystery."

One of the tragicomic aspects of the movie is that none of the characters realize they are caught up in a work of the Holy Spirit, and the play they think is being written by Shakespeare is actually God's. They careen desperately about never realizing that God has them in His grasp, an ignorance which leads to Romeo's line in the play (repeated twice in the movie), "O, I am Fortune's fool!" I find this line of dialogue to be a summation inside a broader depiction of our everyday life and our current state of awareness of the Holy Spirit and His work.

Too many of us waste our time and angst believing ourselves to be Fortune's fools instead of God's beloved. How much greater would God's glory be if the players in His tragicomedy fully comprehended the all-encompassing power of the Holy Spirit? How much sooner would God's Kingdom drop like a curtain and close this tragicomedy of men?

At one point in the movie Shakespeare wagers with a nobleman that the true nature of love can be shown by a stage play, a wager the Queen overhears and over which she makes herself the arbiter. After watching Romeo and Juliet, Queen Elizabeth declares Shakespeare the winner. The true winner, of course, is God. His love, exercised through the Holy Spirit, lifts up and ennobles the weak, the senseless, the inept and the sinful, and employs them in the production of a masterpiece. Shakespeare in Love could aptly be re-titled, God in Love.

Echoing the Henslowe character's description of providence ("I don't know, it's a mystery"), John Piper, in his book Providence, writes: "Providence is all-embracing and all-pervasive, but when God turns the human will, there is a mystery to it that causes a person to experience God's turning as his own preference – an authentic, responsible act of the human will."

But is the working of the Holy Spirit really such a mystery as Henslowe says again and again in the movie? Is it really an imperceptible turning of the human will, so that we perceive it as our own preference, as Pastor John Piper writes?

That hasn't been my experience. Not even close. My will was a well-guarded castle the Holy Spirit had to take and re-take by force every time I backslid, every time I started to fall away. It is easy for me now to look back at the man I was and see the difference the Spirit has made, and to cry out my thanks to God. His work on me has by no means been unseen or unfelt.

I became a Christian exactly four years ago, pretty much out of the blue; before that, an atheist and an unrepentant sinner. And so many times I had been a hair's breadth from taking that extra dark step by declaring my eternal contempt for all of humanity.

I was saved directly by the Holy Spirit's intervention. There was no Bible reading, no pastor, no Christian friend or family member who initiated my conversion, mainly because, as a sinner, I avoided those influences. For a person as mired in sin as I was, only the Holy Spirit could have saved me. I have four copies of the Bible given to me over the years by friends and family, one from an anonymous source, but the printed Word alone could not rescue me. Why? Because I could not bring myself to read the Bible. Why? Because it was terrifying. The Bible condemned me to Hell. More importantly, the Bible wanted to take away the guiding principle of my life at the time, which was sin, and I couldn't "live" without it. I needed to be saved first, to have the comfort of the Holy Spirit with me, before I could face the Bible. Without the Spirit, the Book was scarier than a Stephen King novel.

For nearly all of my four-year Christian life, I knew almost nothing about any doctrinal differences within Christianity. I assumed they involved details that had no bearing on me. Earlier this year, however, the pastor of a church I sometimes attended preached that personal experiences of God are not to be sought after, that there are no more personal revelations or communications from God, and to state otherwise is to be an egotist and a Gnostic, which is to say, not Christian.

That message really shook me up, even though I was pretty sure I wasn't a Gnostic. I was, however, a person whom the Holy Spirit would not leave alone, and I became concerned that these interactions and communications were "wrong." Immediately I doubted my salvation. When you come from where I've been, you tend to do that.

I stopped attending church in person because I didn't deem myself fit to go, thinking that I needed to get myself "squared away." More importantly, I stopped chasing Christ. When He called I sent Him to voice mail and I didn't read His text messages. When He tried to show me something, I looked away. Random world, random universe, all run by random chance. I am, and we are, just Fortune's fools.

But then Christ further revealed His character to me. No matter how hard I tried to brush Him off, He wouldn't leave me alone. He kept tapping me on the shoulder, tugging on my sleeve. I couldn’t get Him to stop. About a month ago the Holy Spirit arranged for me to see the printed statement of faith of the church that had me thinking I was a Gnostic. I was surprised to see that one of the beliefs required for membership is that Christians no longer wield revelatory or confirmatory gifts, which ended with the compilation of the Bible.

For me that statement was striking, because the flip-side of Christians wielding revelatory and confirmatory gifts is the Holy Spirit bestowing such gifts. And if God wants to give gifts to Christians, how can a man-made doctrine stop Him? It sounded like blasphemy. The second thing that struck me was that it categorically excluded Christians like me. I started to get the sense that the doctrine might be the problem, not me.

So about a month ago the Holy Spirit moved me to do some research. The first thing I looked into was why modern Christian churches no longer believe in miracles. That led me to the debate between cessationism and continuationism, which I didn't know existed. Three weeks ago I didn't know what cessationism meant. I had never read a word written by Pastor Piper or thought of Shakespeare in Love in religious terms. Since then I've wised up quite a bit. The insights passed to me by the Holy Spirit guided my research and led me to the following shocking conclusions.

1. Cessationism dangerously encourages blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

According to Jesus blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin (KJV, Matt. 12:31; Mark 3:28-30; Luke 12:10; 1 John 5:16 ["There is a sin unto death"]). And yet cessationist pastors do not hold back from harshly criticizing Pentecostals, charismatics, Gnostics, Catholics and others who have had direct individual experiences with the Holy Spirit. This criticism sometimes includes verbal descriptions or even videos of church services in which the worshipers are moving in odd ways, running around, babbling or otherwise behaving in a manner they attribute to the Holy Spirit. Cessationist pastors sometimes even accuse the worshipers of being under demonic influence. If, however, any of the worshipers are actually being driven by the Holy Spirit, then this becomes the unforgiveable sin the Pharisees committed when they accused Jesus of exorcising demons with the devil's power (KJV, Matt. 12:31-32; Mark 3:28-30). If this unloving accusation of demonic behavior is accompanied by a call for an amen or other agreement from the congregation, and one or more of the worshipers being criticized is actually under the influence of the Holy Spirit, anyone who agrees risks being defiled by what comes from their mouths and committing the unforgivable sin. Cessationism encourages the careless handling of spiritual nitroglycerine.

Even outside of worship services, cessationism is dangerous, not only because of the general condescension it teaches, but also because it teaches that there are no Godly personal experiences outside of Scripture. If a follower of cessationism takes that teaching to heart and is presented with the testimony of another believer who claims to have had an interaction with the Holy Spirit external to the Bible, the follower of cessationism must conclude either the witness is lying or that he interacted with a demon. Both accusations put the cessationist on dangerous theological ground. If the follower of cessationism responds with what he believes must be true (that the witness is lying or demon-influenced), then he has blasphemed the Spirit if the witness is telling the truth. To call someone who is testifying about a blessing of the Spirit a liar is to call him a child of the father of lies and to accuse him of doing his father's work (KJV, John 8:43-45, in which Jesus teaches that a child of satan cannot recognize the truth even when it is told by the truth Himself).

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Clayton . . . welcome to Christian Forums :) God bless you however He pleases.
"Providence is all-embracing and all-pervasive, but when God turns the human will, there is a mystery to it that causes a person to experience God's turning as his own preference – an authentic, responsible act of the human will."
But you say you have experienced God turning you, if I understand you right. And it is written >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

I would say that if God is the One changing me so I will to do what He has me doing in sharing with Him in His love, I experience this love living in me, instead of how I can be "in the flesh".

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

So, yes we experience God in us sharing with us His very own love, which is Heaven's love with Heaven's quality and character. And in our Father's love is His creativity shared with us with Him personally guiding our wills and actions.

the pastor of a church I sometimes attended preached that personal experiences of God are not to be sought after, that there are no more personal revelations or communications from God, and to state otherwise is to be an egotist and a Gnostic, which is to say, not Christian.
Well, technically, we should not only seek experiences. But with God we have ongoing experience of Him working in us at each moment to will and to do what He pleases to do . . . in sharing with us.

I was surprised to see that one of the beliefs required for membership is that Christians no longer wield revelatory or confirmatory gifts, which ended with the compilation of the Bible.
Well, ones on both sides of an issue can be wrong. For example, ones might promote gifts while others say they're out of date. But if the ones taking sides on this are not first submitting to God in their wills and being personally worked in their wills to do what He has us doing, then both sides are wrong; and ones may be calling attention to some side issue, in order to keep our attention away from God.

Do ones talk about how every child of God is called "in one body" < every one of us > to stay attentive and sensitive and submissive to how our Father personally rules each of us in His very own peace? >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

"Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ." (2 Thessalonians 3:5)

This is not only some experience, at times . . . whenever someone might see fit to schedule God. But all the time > "in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" > "in the presence of my enemies" > Philippians 2:13-16 with Psalm 23:5 > we can enjoy all which our Father pleases to share with us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I see a rock on the ground I have three choices:

Step over it
Walk around it
Or stand still

The rock isn’t impeding my path. It can only hasten my steps if I permit it. We’ll turn rocks into boulders if we dwell on them. You can’t move the needle in the natural. If you believe their behavior is wrong pray about it. That’s how you engage the heavenly realm.

Getting upset, debates, and isolation won’t alter evil works. All they do is make the devil laugh. An ineffective Christian—from his perspective—is desirable. It’s the prayer warrior he fears. We should aspire to be the latter.

• Useful
Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Cessationism encourages the careless handling of spiritual nitroglycerine.
Dealing with people you have sharp disagreements is just as dangerous, they use the entanglement to shipwreck your faith.

Best advice, keep on sailing.

They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! (2 Timothy 3:5)

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Dealing with people you have sharp disagreements is just as dangerous, they use the entanglement to shipwreck your faith.

They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! (2 Timothy 3:5)

Matthew 7:13-14 King James Version

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Upvote 0

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Clayton . . . welcome to Christian Forums :) God bless you however He pleases.But you say you have experienced God turning you, if I understand you right. And it is written >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

I would say that if God is the One changing me so I will to do what He has me doing in sharing with Him in His love, I experience this love living in me, instead of how I can be "in the flesh".

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

So, yes we experience God in us sharing with us His very own love, which is Heaven's love with Heaven's quality and character. And in our Father's love is His creativity shared with us with Him personally guiding our wills and actions.

Well, technically, we should not only seek experiences. But with God we have ongoing experience of Him working in us at each moment to will and to do what He pleases to do . . . in sharing with us.

Well, ones on both sides of an issue can be wrong. For example, ones might promote gifts while others say they're out of date. But if the ones taking sides on this are not first submitting to God in their wills and being personally worked in their wills to do what He has us doing, then both sides are wrong; and ones may be calling attention to some side issue, in order to keep our attention away from God.

Do ones talk about how every child of God is called "in one body" < every one of us > to stay attentive and sensitive and submissive to how our Father personally rules each of us in His very own peace? >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

"Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ." (2 Thessalonians 3:5)

This is not only some experience, at times . . . whenever someone might see fit to schedule God. But all the time > "in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" > "in the presence of my enemies" > Philippians 2:13-16 with Psalm 23:5 > we can enjoy all which our Father pleases to share with us.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,855.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When I read the OP, this came to me: "For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires. So they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to fables" (2 Timothy 4:3-4).

Upvote 0

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Com7fy8,
Thank you for the response. One of the things left out of my post is that I can no longer attend the church in question. I don't trust the message. Friends and others I care about still attend, however, and cannot understand why i refuse. I can't just walk away from the issue. It's been a bit of a nightmare, one i never saw coming, and yes, i am perturbed.

Upvote 0

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Com7fy8,
Thank you for the response. One of the things left out of my post is that I can no longer attend the church in question. I don't trust the message. Friends and others I care about still attend, however, and cannot understand why i refuse. I can't just walk away from the issue. It's been a bit of a nightmare, one i never saw coming, and yes, i am perturbed.

Further advice?

Upvote 0

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I see a rock on the ground I have three choices:

Step over it
Walk around it
Or stand still

The rock isn’t impeding my path. It can only hasten my steps if I permit it. We’ll turn rocks into boulders if we dwell on them. You can’t move the needle in the natural. If you believe their behavior is wrong pray about it. That’s how you engage the heavenly realm.

Getting upset, debates, and isolation won’t alter evil works. All they do is make the devil laugh. An ineffective Christian—from his perspective—is desirable. It’s the prayer warrior he fears. We should aspire to be the latter.

Bella,
Thank you for your response. In my prior life I crushed rocks for a living. I totally get what you're saying but as i indicated in a previous reply, I can't walk away from this one. It follows me around. And yes, I am praying about it. Hence the essay.
I can't shake the feeling that we are closer to the end then the beginning. Can both sides of this one find the narrow gate? Or is someone right and someone wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Michael,

thanks for your response.

Upvote 0

Clayton Peck

May 31, 2022
Southern California
✟8,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I read the OP, this came to me: "For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires. So they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to fables" (2 Timothy 4:3-4).

Oscarr,

Thanks for reading and responding. But which is the sound doctrine?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,855.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Bella,
Thank you for your response. In my prior life I crushed rocks for a living. I totally get what you're saying but as i indicated in a previous reply, I can't walk away from this one. It follows me around. And yes, I am praying about it. Hence the essay.
I can't shake the feeling that we are closer to the end then the beginning. Can both sides of this one find the narrow gate? Or is someone right and someone wrong?
1 Corinthians 15:1-8:
"Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7 then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also."

Find a church that preaches the Gospel, and preaches from the Bible with expository teaching about what the Scriptures actually say. A church that twists the Scriptures to mean other than what they say, and teaches fables instead of the Gospel and sound doctrine will poison your faith and lead you straight to hell. I think you did the right thing by leaving that church. Treat it as everyone has Covid-19 there and you will be infected if you go back. Warn your friends still in that church of the poisonous teaching that is done there. Doing that, which might not be received well, may not only save you, but your friends also.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,855.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Oscarr,

Thanks for reading and responding. But which is the sound doctrine?
Find a good expository commentary. Reading the sermons of Charles Spurgeon would be a good start.

Upvote 0