1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

3. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

A suggestion for the ED forum - we want *your* input!!!

Discussion in 'Eating Disorders' started by Bamboo_Chicken, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamboo_Chicken

Bamboo_Chicken Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken Supporter

+487
    United Ch. of Christ
    Private
    Hey Guys :hug:

I’ve got an idea to run by you all…the message board on Something Fishy (a pro-recovery site) has a filter in place that removes all digits because they can be major triggers. Any digits are replaced with '*****', which means people need to go back through and edit if they accidentally add digits into their posts. Now, we have a similar rule for this forum in that we don’t allow most numbers and when they’re written, staff try to edit them out as soon as possible. The problem though is that often we don’t get to them before at least one person sees them and is triggered :(.

For this reason, a member suggested we take a look at Something Fishy and the filter they use, and I personally think it's a wonderful idea. I’ve checked with my team and they are all happy for it to go ahead, but figured it’s your forum, so you should all get a say as well :). It wouldn’t automatically mean that there won't be anymore triggers in ED, but it would certainly help.

So, what do you all think? Is this something to get for our forum?

2. bumblebee62331

bumblebee62331 Well-Known Member

+827
    Anglican
    Private
    Oh wow, that's a fantastic idea! :p

In all seriousness, I think it's a great idea. It will stop numbers getting through and will prevent members from having to have their posts hidden and edited, and will also prevent others from being triggered from digits.

I'm all for it! :)

One question though - when we post, if we do have numbers will the post show up like normal with the numbers replaced with *** or will it not let us post the post until we have edited the *** out (like we hit submit and the page refreshes again with ** instead of numbers, then we have to edit that out?) If that makes sense... :swoon:

3. Bamboo_Chicken

+487
    United Ch. of Christ
    Private
    Now let me think...who was that who suggested it to me? :p
    From speaking to Erwin, it will only replace it, not stop you posting. So yes, it would be a manual edit from there. With that though, is it preferred that staff then ask members to edit out the *** or not? We won't be issuing warnings or any of the such, but we can ask that the filtered part be edited out if that's what you guys want.

4. bumblebee62331

+827
    Anglican
    Private
    Hehehehe :p

That's a good idea. And when you think about it, there might not even be a need to edit it out. If it's just ***'s, then it's not triggering, but I guess it could be in the context. But yeah. At least it wouldn't be an urgent edit. :)

5. anteloperunner

anteloperunner Regular Member

+38
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    question: so would it all block numbers? like if i were to say it is 12:30am and im not gonna get to sleep till 3am. Would taht be blocked? but would not block "three"?

im all for it if it keep just one person from getting triggered

***'s just make it look liek you said a bad word i wouldnt care if it was left that way

6. bumblebee62331

+827
    Anglican
    Private
    Yes, it would block all numbers. I know that's annoying because if you put your age or the time in, that's obviously not triggery, but if it blocks something like your age, I'm sure you could edit your post to write the age a different way, or spell out things that aren't supposed to be edited out. if that makes sense.

And I guess it would make it look like you said a bad word! haha, but everyone in ED will know the real reason the ***'s appeared, so it'll be okay.

7. Bamboo_Chicken

+487
    United Ch. of Christ
    Private
    I would edit out all digits...times included. It just means we'd need to type it out, so it would be three am instead.

I've pretty sure it doesn't have to be *** if we want another filter...are there any suggestions that are better?

8. Soulwings

Soulwings A true original.

+675
    Christian
    Married
    I think that sounds fine, Steffi. :hug: Lovely idea, and all the numbers that we'd use we could easily type out. It would just take a little more typing effort :p but I believe it'd be worth it in the end. :)

9. oneandlonely

oneandlonely Some days its hard to be a One Girl Revolution

+96
    Christian
    Single
    It sounds like a lovely idea Steffi. :)

10. goldenviolet

goldenviolet Holy is the Lord God Almighty

+2,037
    Christian
    Married

:preach: how about "X" instead of '****' . because the latter looks like cussing. and the "X" looks like an indication of something. plus, when peeps post, if they forget to edit out the latter, it will look clearer.

11. oneandlonely

+96
    Christian
    Single
    That is a very good point Dee. I agree.

12. bumblebee62331

+827
    Anglican
    Private
    I like "X" as the filter. :)

13. Bamboo_Chicken

+487
    United Ch. of Christ
    Private
    My concern with 'X' is that if 3 digits are posted, we get XXX (a symbol with implications we don't need here).

April suggested '+', which I like as an alternative :).

14. Celtic Camel

Celtic Camel Regular Member

+41
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I just wanted to quickly add that I think its a great idea, whatever the symbol to be used is. :)

15. bumblebee62331

+827
    Anglican
    Private
    What about changing it to # or something?

I know this is probably ridiculous, but to me, "+" is a trigger. If I see someone post something like, "I can't believe how much I weigh! I mean, I weigh ++lbs!" I see that as a "I weigh a LOT" (plus) and it's a trigger. It also reminds me of weight GAIN due to the "plus" thing and makes me have a panic attack and freak out and feel like I need to lose more to prevent this imaginary gain.

If it's just me though, then it doesn't matter. I'm just weird. And easily triggered I guess. :sorry:

16. Bamboo_Chicken

+487
    United Ch. of Christ
    Private
    Righteo...anyone have anything against '#'?

17. oneandlonely

+96
    Christian
    Single
    Nope, I have nothing against #. Sounds like a good idea to me. :)

18. BigToe

BigToe You are my itchy sweater.

+1,010
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Will this make it harder for you moderators to catch numbers that are typed out that would be triggers?

19. Bamboo_Chicken

+487
    United Ch. of Christ
    Private
    Maybe, but I try to read every post that goes through here as it is, so digit or spelled, chances are I'll read it. The idea is also, hopefully, that if someone types in digits and notices they get edited, they will also realise it could be a trigger. To go back and edit after that by writing out the word will often give a person enough time to remember that we shouldn't have digits here.

20. bumblebee62331

+827
    Anglican
    Private
    Sorry .. I'm being a pain. :sorry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.