✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
NY TIMES
Farhad Manjoo

STATE OF THE ART MARCH 2, 2016

"Let’s say computers come for most of our jobs. This may not seem likely at the moment; computer scientists and economists offer wildly varying ideas for how deeply automation will affect future employment.

But for the sake of argument, imagine that within two or three decades we’ll have morphed into the Robotic States of America."

Doesn't this sound like it could be a program, paychecks for everyone, that Bernie Sanders would promote now?
iu

Reactions: brinny

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
NY TIMES
Farhad Manjoo

"Let’s say computers come for most of our jobs. This may not seem likely at the moment; computer scientists and economists offer wildly varying ideas for how deeply automation will affect future employment.

But for the sake of argument, imagine that within two or three decades we’ll have morphed into the Robotic States of America."

Doesn't this sound like it could be a program, paychecks for everyone, that Bernie Sanders would promote now?
iu
Good thing my son is working on a degree in robotics. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ultimately, we'll be heading towards something like this. There are too many people, and not enough jobs for them all, since automation has made the average worker so much more productive, fewer and fewer are needed to produce the stuff we need, the stuff we want, and the stuff we don't even want, but buy anyway.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
NY TIMES
Farhad Manjoo

iu
I would gladly take the $1,000 a month, but only if it doesn't affect my $2,000 a month retirement pension I now receive.........

quote from site:
"Imagine the government sending each adult about $1,000 a month, about enough to cover housing, food, health care and other basic needs for many Americans. U.B.I. would be aimed at easing the dislocation caused by technological progress, but it would also be bigger than that."................................

These supporters argue machine intelligence will produce so much economic surplus that we could collectively afford to liberate much of humanity from both labor and suffering................................................

....................................................................................................

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ultimately, we'll be heading towards something like this.
There are too many people, and not enough jobs for them all, since automation has made the average worker so much more productive, fewer and fewer are needed to produce the stuff we need, the stuff we want, and the stuff we don't even want, but buy anyway.
Can't stop progress............

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm a programmer...so I'd be the guy actually programming the robots...I think I'm safe lol ;)

In all seriousness, I've heard a lot of these "automation will put everyone out of work" horror stories before...in some cases it will, but in other cases, it'll actually create more jobs.

There are different forms of automation...some specifically designed to replace human labor...others designed to add convenience to the end user/customer.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I finally got that neuron to fire, about what this reminded me of:

Midas World, by Fred Pohl.

""The Midas Plague" (originally published in Galaxy in 1954). In a world of cheap energy, robots are overproducing the commodities enjoyed by mankind. The lower-class "poor" must spend their lives in frantic consumption, trying to keep up with the robots' extravagant production, while the upper-class "rich" can live lives of simplicity. Property crime is nonexistent, and the government Ration Board enforces the use of ration stamps to ensure that everyone consumes their quotas."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a programmer...so I'd be the guy actually programming the robots...I think I'm safe lol ;)

In all seriousness, I've heard a lot of these "automation will put everyone out of work" horror stories before...in some cases it will, but in other cases, it'll actually create more jobs.

There are different forms of automation...some specifically designed to replace human labor...others designed to add convenience to the end user/customer.
Classic! LOL

But can they cook?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I finally got that neuron to fire, about what this reminded me of:

Midas World, by Fred Pohl.

""The Midas Plague" (originally published in Galaxy in 1954). In a world of cheap energy, robots are overproducing the commodities enjoyed by mankind. The lower-class "poor" must spend their lives in frantic consumption, trying to keep up with the robots' extravagant production, while the upper-class "rich" can live lives of simplicity. Property crime is nonexistent, and the government Ration Board enforces the use of ration stamps to ensure that everyone consumes their quotas."
Was thinking of Mana instead, bit of a darker story about the US Future due to Automation and AI.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7902912-manna

Manna said:
"Jacob Lewis105, you are now unemployed. Do you have other means of employment?"

Of course it knew the answer, but this formality could not be avoided. "No."

"Do you have guest status with any resident?" The robot asked.

"No."

"Do you have means of support unknown to me?"

I suppose I could have stashed a cache of gold under my mattress, and this question allowed me to declare it. Such a cache would, of course, be grounds for arrest, so I was screwed either way. "No." I was without any means of support.

"In accordance with ordinance 605.12b, you have been assigned room 140352 in building 16, resident quant C. This assignment provides you with suitable housing and nourishment to sustain your life. Please board the bus."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The factory work days of your dad is more and more becoming a relic of the past. I suggest your kids go to college, get a CDL, or learn a trade if they expect to survive in today's world. Most likely a CDL and a trade will actually get them a job faster in america. There are always job openings for truckers for some reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The factory work days of your dad is more and more becoming a relic of the past. I suggest your kids go to college, get a CDL, or learn a trade if they expect to survive in today's world. Most likely a CDL and a trade will actually get them a job faster in america. There are always job openings for truckers for some reason.
Well CDL may not work in the future, depending on how well self driving cars work. Yes for the next 10-20 years, CDLs will work, after that, I wouldn't bet on it. As a shipper I'd rather have a computer handed the long hull driving of my packages than a human, number one reason, that robot / computer can drive 24 hours straight without breaks (not counting refueling) while Humans are limited both by reality & laws on how many hours they can drive.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well CDL may not work in the future, depending on how well self driving cars work. Yes for the next 10-20 years, CDLs will work, after that, I wouldn't bet on it. As a shipper I'd rather have a computer handed the long hull driving of my packages than a human, number one reason, that robot / computer can drive 24 hours straight without breaks (not counting refueling) while Humans are limited both by reality & laws on how many hours they can drive.
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if a trucker lobby forms[ or one already exists??] and buries that idea into the ground.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if a trucker lobby forms[ or one already exists??] and buries that idea into the ground.
Like the Taxi lobby is burring UBER & their like?
They'll try for years, but in the end the upper management will go with what makes them the best ROI.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
OK, now imagine the future. Will there be such a label put on people as that of; robophobic?
What happens when robots demand equality? Because they become self-aware.

Grits teeth and tries not to wave arms in the air while shouting, danger Will Robinson! Danger!
Fails, or is that flails, miserably.

Upvote 0