May 25, 2006
Florida
✟17,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
juggernaut said:
why do christians believe that hell is hot? or with flames?...what does the bible say?

i know hell isn't a very liked topic to christians....but heck. it's a question that i've been muling over!

The fire is probably metaphorical. Seeing that in the new state there will be no hunger or thrist, there will be probably be no nerve endings to feel the pain. However, hell is no place anyone wants to go, the bible is very clear on that...

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BarbB said:
Well, the phrase "Lake of fire" is the description of the destination of the anti-christ, false prophet and all whose names are not in the Lamb's Book of Life. Sounds like hell to me. :)

And let's not also forget that hell is a place where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

But who knows the actual physical sense of hell. It could be hot, cold, rainy, mossy, humid, frigid, ect, ect. :yawn: All I know is that I'm not planning on going there. ;)

Upvote 0
Ever been embarrased? Really really embarrased? It feels "Hot". Ever been angry? Felt rage:mad:? Again - Hot.

(Proverbs 25:21) If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

(Proverbs 25:22) For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

The kindness of an enemy is like having coals heaped upon your head... hot....

There is no perfect way to describe the indescribable. People understand "hot" and "burn".

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Today I was led by an Angel to the chasms of hell. It is a place of real torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw: the first torture that constitutes hell is the loss of God; the second is perpetual remorse of conscience; the third is that one's condition will never change; the fourth is the fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it - a terrible suffering, since it is a purely spiritual fire, ....the fifth torture is continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and, despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own; the sixth torture is the constant company of Satan; the seventh torture is horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies. These are the tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings. There are special tortures destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings, related to the manner in which it has sinned. There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me. Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like.

I, Sister Faustina, by the order of God, have visited the abysses of hell so that I might tell souls about it and testify to its existence. I cannot speak about it now; but I have received a command from God to leave it in writing. The devils were full of hatred for me, but they had to obey me at the command of God. What I have written is but a pale shadow of the things I saw. But I noticed one thing: that most of the souls there are those who disbelieved that there is a hell.When I came to, I could hardly recover from the fright. How terribly souls suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the covnersion of sinners.

Upvote 0

juggernaut

Jun 21, 2006
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Ever been embarrased? Really really embarrased? It feels "Hot". Ever been angry? Felt rage:mad:? Again - Hot.

feelings....
Anger is a godly thing if used correctly.
Embarrasment is a form of being humbled.

Ever had your pride button pushed?

The "hot" you are describing is a feeling like a hot flush, adrenaline running through your body, also explained as kind of like opium. When you are in a rage, the hot feeling floods your brain and you can't think straight.
When embarrased again the same thing maybe a bit different.

No. The like feelings, I think, don't have anything to do with what hell may be like.

Weeping and gnashing of teeth, lake of fire (who says it's hot!?), torture, torment of souls, eternal seperation, dispair, sorrow, and more that the Bible mentions...however I can't find anywhere in the BIble that I have searched it ever mentioning the place as hot.
Where do non-christians get the idea that it is a fun place, a warm/hot place?

As I was reading the Gospels and I noticed that the Jews could not hold the concept of Jesus as being both their King and a Servant. It made me wonder, could hell be on the same terms?
When I think of "lake of burning fire" I think hot...but what if it is a cold flame, yet still burning? Is it possible? Not in the human mind it isn't, but to God is it...and He is the one that created hell!
What could be more tormenting than running to the flames to get warm only to be met by freezing cold?

Just some thoughts.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
some of the texts that speak of punishment with fire are in symbolic contexts. But it seems some literal ones doe too.

For me I guess if it says fire I assume it is unless we find out differently (hopefully not first hand!)

2Th 1:6 since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you,
2Th 1:7 and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels
2Th 1:8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
2Th 1:9 They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.