Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Universalism (pronounced yu-ni-VER-sul-iz-um) is a doctrine that teaches all people will be saved. Other names for this doctrine are universal restoration, universal reconciliation, universal restitution, and universal salvation.

The main argument for universalism is that a good and loving God would not condemn people to eternal torment in hell. Some universalists believe that after a certain cleansing period, God will free the inhabitants of hell and reconcile them to himself. Others say that after death, people will have another opportunity to choose God. For some who adhere to universalism, the doctrine also implies that there are many ways to get into heaven.

In the past several years, universalism has seen a resurgence. Many adherents prefer different names for it: inclusion, the greater faith, or the larger hope. Tentmaker calls it "The Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ."

Universalism applies passages like Acts 3:21 and Colossians 1:20 to mean that God intends to restore all things to their original state of purity through Jesus Christ (Romans 5:18; Hebrews 2:9), so that in the end everyone will be brought into a right relationship with God (1 Corinthians 15:24–28).

But such a view runs counter to the teaching of the Bible that "all who call upon the name of the Lord" will be united to Christ and eternally saved, not all people in general.

Jesus Christ taught that those who reject him as Savior will spend eternity in hell after they die:

Universalism Ignores God's Justice​

Continued below.

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As the article states:

One problem with universalism is that it imposes human judgment upon God, saying that logically he cannot be perfect love while punishing sinners in hell. However, God himself warns against attributing human standards to him:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8–9 NIV)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Since God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

The inverse could also be true. God is more merciful than we are. We are prodigal sons and daughters, the elder son makes it about rules .. But the Father makes it about the dead being made alive again.

Personally, I think both eternal torment and ultimate reconciliation look at it the wrong way.

In light of Ephesians 3:20, I'll wait and see how God surprises me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

The inverse could also be true. God is more merciful than we are. We are prodigal sons and daughters, the elder son makes it about rules .. But the Father makes it about the dead being made alive again.

Personally, I think both eternal torment and ultimate reconciliation look at it the wrong way.

In light of Ephesians 3:20, I'll wait and see how God surprises me.
I think Jesus was pretty clear.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Universalism (pronounced yu-ni-VER-sul-iz-um) is a doctrine that teaches all people will be saved. Other names for this doctrine are universal restoration, universal reconciliation, universal restitution, and universal salvation.

The main argument for universalism is that a good and loving God would not condemn people to eternal torment in hell. Some universalists believe that after a certain cleansing period, God will free the inhabitants of hell and reconcile them to himself. Others say that after death, people will have another opportunity to choose God. For some who adhere to universalism, the doctrine also implies that there are many ways to get into heaven.

In the past several years, universalism has seen a resurgence. Many adherents prefer different names for it: inclusion, the greater faith, or the larger hope. Tentmaker calls it "The Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ."

Universalism applies passages like Acts 3:21 and Colossians 1:20 to mean that God intends to restore all things to their original state of purity through Jesus Christ (Romans 5:18; Hebrews 2:9), so that in the end everyone will be brought into a right relationship with God (1 Corinthians 15:24–28).

But such a view runs counter to the teaching of the Bible that "all who call upon the name of the Lord" will be united to Christ and eternally saved, not all people in general.

Jesus Christ taught that those who reject him as Savior will spend eternity in hell after they die:

Continued below.
I mean who doesn't want to tell themselves everyone will be saved? It scratches that itch in people's ears that need scratching and takes away consequences for our actions.

The problem is when one actually reads what the Bible says they realize it's just a fad of modern Christianity and not actually taught in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think Jesus was pretty clear.
When he spoke of a restoration of all things.

Immediately juxtaposed to the judgment and lake of fire is a curious saying "behold, I make all things new"

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I mean who doesn't want to tell themselves everyone will be saved? It scratches that itch in people's ears that need scratching and takes away consequences for our actions.

The problem is when one actually reads what the Bible says they realize it's just a fad of modern Christianity and not actually taught in the Bible.
I have this litmus test for theologies.

If there are are scriptures for and against the theology .. it's wrong - something else outside the dichotomy being discussed must be the case.

regrettably, the gratification of imagining people being punished forever in torment - is not a modern fad - it's just the way humans are.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I have this litmus test for theologies.

If there are are scriptures for and against the theology .. it's wrong - something else outside the dichotomy being discussed must be the case.

regrettably, the gratification of imagining people being punished forever in torment - is not a modern fad - it's just the way humans are.
I'm not quite understanding you, are you saying the idea of hell is a construct of people wanting it to exist and not it being said it exists by Jesus Himself? Yet the idea that people don't go to Hell despite the bible contradicting that statement somehow is true despite that actually only existing because people want universalism to exist?

Upvote 0

TahitiRun

Feb 18, 2023
Atlantic Coast
✟11,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is because in Adam only some people died, there were a select few who could save themselves. because all does not equal all.

Continued below.
Hi - First time poster here. I find this topic of great interest and would enjoy sharing thoughts/ideas on the subject with others.

I'm not sure, however, that God's justice is actually being ignored in universalism. Christ's death for our sins is what actually satisfies God's justice, and through His death justification is given as a free gift to all (Rom 5:18). I'm not certain, but I don't think universalism denies this.

Regarding Mat 10:28: If we continue reading beyond v 28 to verse 31, Jesus tells us to "fear not", and that the soul (ie: man) is of more value to God than many sparrows. Although God is "able" to destroy the soul (the whole being of man) and should be feared on that basis alone, we should not fear that He will in-fact do so, insofar as the soul, created in God's image, is of more value than many small birds that were not created in His image. And even sparrows are said to be cared for by God.

Regarding Mat 23:33: Here, the carnal nature (the "flesh", if you will) does not escape judgment, as Jesus tells us. This was the judgment that Paul judged against the flesh of the sexually immoral person in 1Co 5:5. The important thing is that the soul is saved according to the spirit through the judgments and destruction of the "flesh".

Regarding Mat 25:46: This parable starts in v 31. The "nations", "sheep and goat" metaphors used by Christ in v 32, are describing the "nations"or kingdoms of the soul. Those nations being separated one from the other as "flesh" and "spirit" (goats and sheep respectively). The flesh (goat) is judged and "sent away" to the saving of the spirit (sheep). Again, Paul gives us an illustration of this in 1Co 5:5.

Regarding Luk 16:23: In this parable, again, the distinction is between "flesh" and "spirit". The rich man eating sumptuously everyday, being dressed in fine apparel, etc., are metaphors for the "flesh", while Lazarus is poor, hungry and living at the gates of the rich man. Lazarus represents the spirit of the soul, in distress. Anyway, there is much to be said further on this...but I can see this response is already getting too long.

And finally Joh 3:36: Again, like the other passages, this is describing the "flesh" that will not and cannot believe. Consider Paul as Saul if you will. There was a time when Paul did not believe the Gospel or that Jesus was the Christ. According to Joh 3:36, Saul would never be able to enter into life. However, we know that Paul does in-fact enter in. So again, this passage describes the "fleshly" nature of the soul that does not see life, not the spirit of man.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Blessings to all of you in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It comes and goes. All of Salvation History points to the opposite of Universalism.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm not quite understanding you, are you saying the idea of hell is a construct of people wanting it to exist and not it being said it exists by Jesus Himself? Yet the idea that people don't go to Hell despite the bible contradicting that statement somehow is true despite that actually only existing because people want universalism to exist?
The bible says things that illustrates a possibility outside of hell or no hell and forever. People take these things to mean that their thesis is correct.

Yes, there will be the lake of fire for those not written in the book of life. However, sometime after, the king on the throne says "behold, I make all things new."

What this looks like, we do not know, this is obvious from the popular positions people take. However, we do know that Jesus has been entrusted the judgment by the Father.

So it is in the heart of Jesus, we can hope for a future better than we could imagine or ask, because He is faithful to do it.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
The bible says things that illustrates a possibility outside of hell or no hell and forever. People take these things to mean that their thesis is correct.

Yes, there will be the lake of fire for those not written in the book of life. However, sometime after, the king on the throne says "behold, I make all things new."

What this looks like, we do not know, this is obvious from the popular positions people take. However, we do know that Jesus has been entrusted the judgment by the Father.

So it is in the heart of Jesus, we can hope for a future better than we could imagine or ask, because He is faithful to do it.
We should be careful not to weave with scripture what we want to happen in the future rather than what scripture plainly states. Something as serious as eternal punishment somehow actually not being eternal would be stated plainly in the Bible. To say otherwise is to contradict scripture. If you showed a verse that plainly said punishment that is not eternal then i might listen.

But the truth is the Bible calls Hell eternal punishment and does not say otherwise.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi - First time poster here. I find this topic of great interest and would enjoy sharing thoughts/ideas on the subject with others.

I'm not sure, however, that God's justice is actually being ignored in universalism. Christ's death for our sins is what actually satisfies God's justice, and through His death justification is given as a free gift to all (Rom 5:18). I'm not certain, but I don't think universalism denies this.

Regarding Mat 10:28: If we continue reading beyond v 28 to verse 31, Jesus tells us to "fear not", and that the soul (ie: man) is of more value to God than many sparrows. Although God is "able" to destroy the soul (the whole being of man) and should be feared on that basis alone, we should not fear that He will in-fact do so, insofar as the soul, created in God's image, is of more value than many small birds that were not created in His image. And even sparrows are said to be cared for by God.

Regarding Mat 23:33: Here, the carnal nature (the "flesh", if you will) does not escape judgment, as Jesus tells us. This was the judgment that Paul judged against the flesh of the sexually immoral person in 1Co 5:5. The important thing is that the soul is saved according to the spirit through the judgments and destruction of the "flesh".

Regarding Mat 25:46: This parable starts in v 31. The "nations", "sheep and goat" metaphors used by Christ in v 32, are describing the "nations"or kingdoms of the soul. Those nations being separated one from the other as "flesh" and "spirit" (goats and sheep respectively). The flesh (goat) is judged and "sent away" to the saving of the spirit (sheep). Again, Paul gives us an illustration of this in 1Co 5:5.

Regarding Luk 16:23: In this parable, again, the distinction is between "flesh" and "spirit". The rich man eating sumptuously everyday, being dressed in fine apparel, etc., are metaphors for the "flesh", while Lazarus is poor, hungry and living at the gates of the rich man. Lazarus represents the spirit of the soul, in distress. Anyway, there is much to be said further on this...but I can see this response is already getting too long.

And finally Joh 3:36: Again, like the other passages, this is describing the "flesh" that will not and cannot believe. Consider Paul as Saul if you will. There was a time when Paul did not believe the Gospel or that Jesus was the Christ. According to Joh 3:36, Saul would never be able to enter into life. However, we know that Paul does in-fact enter in. So again, this passage describes the "fleshly" nature of the soul that does not see life, not the spirit of man.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Blessings to all of you in Christ.
First in the parable of the sheep and goats there are no literal sheep or goats in it. Saved on the right and unsaved on the left.
EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left vs. 41] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”[EOB, p. 96]
…..Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, linked below, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age.”
…..I doubt there is anyone better qualified than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted above and below, to know the correct translation of the Greek in the N.T.
Link to EOB online:
…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.

EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.[EOB, p. 518]
In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18.
…..Some badly informed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.”
Sorry, that is impossible, both “prune” and “correction” are verbs. “Kolasis” is a noun. One cannot translate a noun as a verb.
Also according to the EOB Greek scholars “kolasis” means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
The word “correction” occurs one time in the N.T.
2 Timothy 3:16 ἐπανόρθωσις/epanorthosis. It looks nothing like kolasis.
…..It is acknowledged that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the native Greek speaking EOB scholars, supported by 2000 years +/- of uninterrupted Greek scholarship, are more than competent enough to know the correct translation of obsolete Greek words which may have changed in meaning or are no longer in use and to translate them correctly. Much as English speaking scholars today know the meaning of obsolete English words which occur in, e.g. the 1611 KJV and can define them correctly.
= = = = =

Matthew 7:21-23
(21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Neither the Father, Himself, nor Jesus, Himself, ever said that all mankind will be saved, or enter the kingdom of heaven.
As a matter of fact, Jesus said, “Not every one …shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;” Then Jesus said, “Many” [NOT a few], “will say to me in that day,” i.e. Judgement Day, “Lord, Lord, have we not … in thy name done many wonderful works?”
Then Jesus will say to those “many” “I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” When Jesus says “never” He means “never” not someday by and by.
And should you desire to tell me what these two passages "really mean," I started learning to speak Greek the year that Elvis and I were stationed in Germany. Not knowing that I would study both Hebrew and Greek at the graduate level about 2 decades later.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We should be careful not to weave with scripture what we want to happen in the future rather than what scripture plainly states. Something as serious as eternal punishment somehow actually not being eternal would be stated plainly in the Bible. To say otherwise is to contradict scripture. If you showed a verse that plainly said punishment that is not eternal then i might listen.

But the truth is the Bible calls Hell eternal punishment and does not say otherwise.
It's not even about that, there is an eternal punishment, but is God so weak that His flame cannot purify sin? When did sin become an immortal god? This is what the doctrine of eternal torment does: it makes sin, something God did not create .. eternal. In a sense, it creates a dual entity co-equal with God as an antithesis.

So for that reason I reject Eternal Torment as a doctrine. However, I do recognize what the scriptures say. Even if Ultimate Reconciliation were true, people would still be in torment for thousands and thousands of years .. the end result wouldn't be much different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

On another parallel. In Ephesians 2:7, who is God showing His generosity to in regards to how He raised us up with Christ in the heavenly realm? In the coming ages, who will be shown the generosity?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once I was flying from the west coast to Virginia for some training. The man in the seat next to me was reading the Bible. To start a conversation I said, "That's a good book. I like how it ends." He smiled. Then I said, "You are a military aviator." He looked surprised and asked, "Do I have a sign on my forehead?" I said "No, the [aviator] glasses and the [military] haircut. I had the same glasses and previously had the haircut. I was shot down 5 times in Viet Nam '68 and earned one Purple Heart. Vets affectionately called it the V.C. Sharpshooter medal.
Having said that. I have read the end of the book.
Revelation 22:11
(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.​
The last book of the Bible, the last chapter, ten more vss. "The End," no more death, no more salvation. Only, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still..." Fade to black, Run end titles.
And OBTW Rev 21:5 does say, "behold, I make all things new." But three vss. later vs. 8, eight groups of sinners; the fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, whoremongers, sorcerers, idolaters, and liars, are thrown into the lake of fire which is still called the "second death." I suggest you be more attentive to context.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Once I was flying from the west coast to Virginia for some training. The man in the seat next to me was reading the Bible. To start a conversation I said, "That's a good book. I like how it ends." He smiled. Then I said, "You are a military aviator." He looked surprised and asked, "Do I have a sign on my forehead?" I said "No, the [aviator] glasses and the [military] haircut. I had the same glasses and previously had the haircut. I was shot down 5 times in Viet Nam '68 and earned one Purple Heart. Vets affectionately called it the V.C. Sharpshooter medal.
Having said that. I have read the end of the book.

Revelation 22:11

(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
The last book of the Bible, the last chapter, ten more vss. "The End," no more death, no more salvation. Only, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still..." Fade to black, Run end titles.
And OBTW Rev 21:5 does say, "behold, I make all things new." But three vss. later vs. 8, eight groups of sinners; the fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, whoremongers, sorcerers, idolaters, and liars, are thrown into the lake of fire which is still called the "second death." I suggest you be more attentive to context.
In Romans it says he who dies is set free from sin. So the choice of words calling it a second "death" is curious for sure.

Upvote 0

TahitiRun

Feb 18, 2023
Atlantic Coast
✟11,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
First in the parable of the sheep and goats there are no literal sheep or goats in it. Saved on the right and unsaved on the left.
EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left vs. 41] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”[EOB, p. 96]
…..Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, linked below, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age.”
…..I doubt there is anyone better qualified than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted above and below, to know the correct translation of the Greek in the N.T.
Link to EOB online:
…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.

EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.[EOB, p. 518]
In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18.
…..Some badly informed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.”
Sorry, that is impossible, both “prune” and “correction” are verbs. “Kolasis” is a noun. One cannot translate a noun as a verb.
Also according to the EOB Greek scholars “kolasis” means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
The word “correction” occurs one time in the N.T.
2 Timothy 3:16 ἐπανόρθωσις/epanorthosis. It looks nothing like kolasis.
…..It is acknowledged that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the native Greek speaking EOB scholars, supported by 2000 years +/- of uninterrupted Greek scholarship, are more than competent enough to know the correct translation of obsolete Greek words which may have changed in meaning or are no longer in use and to translate them correctly. Much as English speaking scholars today know the meaning of obsolete English words which occur in, e.g. the 1611 KJV and can define them correctly.
= = = = =

Matthew 7:21-23
(21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Neither the Father, Himself, nor Jesus, Himself, ever said that all mankind will be saved, or enter the kingdom of heaven.
As a matter of fact, Jesus said, “Not every one …shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;” Then Jesus said, “Many” [NOT a few], “will say to me in that day,” i.e. Judgement Day, “Lord, Lord, have we not … in thy name done many wonderful works?”
Then Jesus will say to those “many” “I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” When Jesus says “never” He means “never” not someday by and by.
And should you desire to tell me what these two passages "really mean," I started learning to speak Greek the year that Elvis and I were stationed in Germany. Not knowing that I would study both Hebrew and Greek at the graduate level about 2 decades later.
Hi - Nice to have a response, but I'm not sure how it relates to my post. I believe as you do that there are no actual literal sheep and goats being judged in the resurrection.

The sheep and goats are being used as metaphors describing the separation of the "nations". The "nations", I believe, are representing the Kingdoms of the soul, namely "flesh and spirit", the spirit being on the right hand, and said to be blessed, and the flesh on the left hand, said to be cursed, as stated in v 34 and 41 respectively. Those (or simply "that", Greek definite article "τοις") on the right and left are not actually called "saved" or "unsaved" in the parable, but rather "blessed" and "cursed" Do you have any comments on this so far?

Upvote 0