United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jon Stewart (D) and Tucker Carlson (R).
We had a glimpse of what that might be like back in 2004. Stewart doesn’t really respect Carlson’s role in political commentary.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I prefer independent comedians myself. Why must we have yet another a two party comedic system. We already have one in Washington.
Okay, but which ones would be entertaining and possibly enlightening? Name names.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Bill Maher is the closest we have to comedy based left v right debate style show despite its obvious ideological bias toward the host. With how ubiquitous podcasts and long form discussion shows have become there’s no reason why we can’t have more nuanced debate between left and right viewpoints that I think could benefit everyone if they’re open to at least hearing out the other side and inviting different viewpoints to make their case.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What if there was a funny debate TV show?

Where a Democrat comedian debates a Republican comedian.

Who should be in it?
We had a thread a while back asking about who the Republican comedians are in America. The best we could come up with are some comics with some right-leaning views like Bill Burr.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Love365

Jul 23, 2020
Kentucky
✟95,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We had a thread a while back asking about who the Republican comedians are in America. The best we could come up with are some comics with some right-leaning views like Bill Burr.
Would these comedians work?

Dennis Miller, Dave Barry, P.J. O Rourke, Joe Rogan, Steven Crowder

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Would these comedians work?

Dennis Miller, Dave Barry, P.J. O Rourke, Joe Rogan, Steven Crowder
Crowder, maybe. I've honestly never heard of Barry and O Rourke. I don't think Miller and Rogan are all that right leaning, but I bet they have some views that are.

Ya know, you don't need a full on Republican comedian. Just have someone debate their right leaning issue. Bill Burr vs Jim Jefferies on gun legislation would be great.

What would be hard to find is a comic that defends censorship. They're all more right leaning in that regard, lol.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
We had a glimpse of what that might be like back in 2004. Stewart doesn’t really respect Carlson’s role in political commentary.
Jon did a real full on debate with Bill whats-his-name that used to be the flagship for Fox.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Love365

Jul 23, 2020
Kentucky
✟95,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Crowder, maybe. I've honestly never heard of Barry and O Rourke. I don't think Miller and Rogan are all that right leaning, but I bet they have some views that are.

Ya know, you don't need a full on Republican comedian. Just have someone debate their right leaning issue. Bill Burr vs Jim Jefferies on gun legislation would be great.

What would be hard to find is a comic that defends censorship. They're all more right leaning in that regard, lol.

“Cancel culture” hurts the Democratic Party more than anything else.
Put these people back on TV.
Al Franken, Bill O Reilly, Megyn Kelly, Louis CK

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, but which ones would be entertaining and possibly enlightening? Name names.

Which comedians are entertaining ? That depends upon one's sense of humor. I don't know as any are enlightening form my perspective. Of course being enlightening is not the point of comedy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think Bill Maher is the closest we have to comedy based left v right debate style show despite its obvious ideological bias toward the host. With how ubiquitous podcasts and long form discussion shows have become there’s no reason why we can’t have more nuanced debate between left and right viewpoints that I think could benefit everyone if they’re open to at least hearing out the other side and inviting different viewpoints to make their case.

You seem to have said there is no reason why we can't have nuanced debate and then you have given the reason why we don't. I agree that there is no good reason why we can't have more nuanced, friendly and fruitful debate. Unfortunately vastly too many people cling to the bad reasons they have for refusing to hear out the other side and finding ways to avoid even hearing different viewpoints. When expressing a different viewpoint is met with charges of ill intent , ignorance, stupidity or malevolence on the part of the one expressing a different viewpoint, it is hard to imagine how a nuanced debate then could take place. BTW Having two politically partisan comedians mocking each other's POV and all those that hold it is hardly a way to ensure nuanced debate.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, when it comes to comedians, you'd have to shop around a little harder to find one from the conservative side... Like with a lot the entertainment industry, it does tend to skew left.

However, some ideas:
You could do Dennis Miller vs. Bill Maher

You could get the Man Show guys back together and do Corolla vs. Kimmel
(you could do something similar with Opie & Anthony I suppose as they were on opposite sides of the political fence and were both good talkers)

You have some other options of guys who aren't explicitly conservative, but have been critical of the far left, and have them take one someone from the "woke camp"... sort of like Bill Burr vs. Samantha Bee.

Obviously Crowder would be a natural choice, as his entire "change my mind" series (that inspired the meme) is literally just him debating random people.

Maybe do Crowder vs. Howard Stern?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
BTW Having two politically partisan comedians mocking each other's POV and all those that hold it is hardly a way to ensure nuanced debate.
I don't think nuanced debate would be the point. Not taking ourselves so seriously would.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which comedians are entertaining ? That depends upon one's sense of humor.
Obviously, and yours being different than mine is why I asked who you'd choose. I don't know why you're being so cagey about it.

I don't know as any are enlightening form my perspective. Of course being enlightening is not the point of comedy.
Often it is.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Roseanne Barr, Victoria Jackson, Tim Allen?

Upvote 0