A concern id like to get a fellow protestants opinion on.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
:amen:
I would agree ... I'm not a church goer but I study Gods word diligently ... love it!

I just mention that because when i accepted the Lord I couldn't wait to get baptized .... talk about driven by the Holy Spirit! Anyways, it took me a while to find a church that would baptize me without becoming a "member" ... I was baptized in a stock tank in the Nazarene church :) How wonderful the Lord is! Amen!

God Bless.

Well, I've been feeling pressure over the years to get baptized so maybe it really is the "proper" way of baptism to God. Who knows. But, meanwhile my wife has never felt pressured to get rebaptized so who knows.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even if it is the literal body and blood of Christ, I don't see why Christ wouldn't answer anyone's prayer to turn the bread/wine into his flesh/body.
Like other questions that occur to us--"Why is there a hell?" or "Who should be baptized?" for example, we turn to the Bible for the answer(s).

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
But aren’t those fundamental Christian beliefs? Especially the resurrection.

They are but churches are starting to go further and further away from Christ. My mom is part of a 'Christian" Catholic church that claims that you don't need to accept Jesus to be saved. That you can just ASK Jesus to forgive you after you die

So because of this my mom barely believes in Jesus and thinks that her many good works will save her in the end. Quite a dangerous church/series of beliefs if you ask me but try telling my mom that.

You can also be Protestant on paper and not believe in Christ at all like my dad. My dad completely rejects the whole gospel up to and including the virgin birth of Christ yet labels himself as a Protestant. To me (and what should be to everyone) these should be/are basic beliefs of Christianity but to the ever falling world, they're not. There are MANY people in the world who label themselves as Christians yet, don't have the Lord at all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They are but churches are starting to go further and further away from Christ. My mom is part of a 'Christian" Catholic church that claims that you don't need to accept Jesus to be saved. That you can just ASK Jesus to forgive you after you die
Like it or not, that is a verrryyy unusual belief.

Without knowing what church teaches it, I have to question whether it would correctly be termed Protestant.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Like other questions that occur to us--"Why is there a hell?" or "Who should be baptized?" for example, we turn to the Bible for the answer(s).

Right. But nowhere in the Bible did Christ say that you had to be a clergyman to give and receive communion. But then again, he only talked about the Eucharist in John 6 and at the end of the various gospels when he gave communion at the last supper. But, according to this: What Does the Bible Say About Eucharist? there isn't a single bible verse that says that the Eucharist can only be given by clergyman.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Like it or not, that is a verrryyy unusual belief.

Without knowing what church teaches it, I have to question whether it would correctly be termed Protestant.

well that's just an example of this spreading to the Catholic church but again, my dad calls himself a Protestant on paper and will be buried as a Protestant despite, having no faith at all. To me, that isn't right.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
lol. No problem my friend. I do hope you and your wife find fellowship with believers soon. I’m in a similar situation as yourself.
\

Yes, I hope. But if we don't ever end up finding a Church maybe it wasn't in God's plans. I mean, think about it God guides and plans out every last detail of our lives. If we don't end up finding a church than it must not be in his original plan for our lives. That or we end up missing his plan for our lives. Those are the only two explanations.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right. But nowhere in the Bible did Christ say that you had to be a clergyman to give and receive communion.
Not in those words, but there a quite a lot that makes the conclusion almost unavoidable.

But then again, he only talked about the Eucharist in John 6 and at the end of the various gospels when he gave communion at the last supper. But, according to this: What Does the Bible Say About Eucharist? there isn't a single bible verse that says that the Eucharist can only be given by clergyman.
None of those verses say that just any believer in Jesus can officiate at Holy Communion, either.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No. Church attendance has nothing to do with how you're saved or remain saved. Going to church is important for different reasons having to do with your spiritual stability and growth.

No, taking communion does not make you saved nor does it keep you saved. Communion is about remembering the atoning work of Christ at Calvary. You can do this anywhere.

Baptism, too, does not save. It is symbolic of your union with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection. Baptism connects faith with action. But baptism does not have anything to do with obtaining or keeping salvation. Consider the thief on the cross.

And you should never sin again, too. Ideally. You should live a life utterly perfect before God, totally devoted to Him in every respect, a shining beacon of truth and light to the world. But you aren't. None of us is. Fortunately, God does not rest our salvation upon what we should be but upon who Christ is for us.

"Enough"? Enough for what, exactly? Can you contribute to Christ's perfect atoning work on the cross? Absolutely not. Can you do anything to satisfy God more than He is already with what Christ has done for you? No. God accepts you ONLY because you are in Christ, clothed in his perfect righteousness, redeemed, sanctified and justified through him. You have nothing to contribute to your salvation but to believe it and receive it. That is "enough."

Well, then, you're in very serious trouble. But the Bible tells us how to test the genuineness of our salvation. You don't have to wonder whether or not you're saved. You can know for sure that you are (or aren't). Does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? Does He bear witness with your spirit that you are God's? Does the Spirit illuminate your mind to divine truth? Does He comfort you in times of distress? Does He strengthen you in times of trial and temptation? If you can see the work of the Spirit in these ways in your life, you are saved. Does God discipline you? He does this only to His children. Do you love the brethren? The apostle John said this was proof-positive of being saved. Do you desire to be holy? Can you see the Fruit of the Spirit developing in your life? These are all signs of the indwelling Spirit who is the source of your second birth.

It isn't important that you can call yourself a Protestant. What IS important is that you know you are a born-again disciple of Christ.

What does the Bible say? That's always the question you should be asking. Does the Bible anywhere say that salvation is dependent upon church attendance? No, it doesn't. It is important, but not to whether or not you're saved.
\

A few questions. If communion doesn't save than why does Christ say in John 6 "If you don't take communion you have no life in you and that believers who take communion have eternal life?"

True the thief on the cross never had the chance to do any of these things but there are statements made by Christ that are suspicious.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Not in those words, but there a quite a lot that makes the conclusion almost unavoidable.

None of those verses say that any believer in Christ can officiate at Holy Communion, either.

Which verses? I'm curious. True. But what makes a clergyman more qualified at getting Christ to turn the bread/wine into the body of Christ than anyone else? They're just as human as any believer. Christ commanded at the last supper "Do this in remembrance of me." for those unable to attend church how are they supposed to follow that command? I mean in the Catholic church priests will come to your house and give you the Eucharist but afaik in the Protestant church, we don't do that. So, how is every single believer supposed to obey this commandment of Christ if they have to see a clergyman to receive the Eucharist? See what I'm saying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
\

A few questions. If communion doesn't save than why does Christ say in John 6 "If you don't take communion you have no life in you and that believers who take communion have eternal life?"

True the thief on the cross never had the chance to do any of these things but there are statements made by Christ that are suspicious.
Christ doesn't say those things in John 6, and it isn't evident that he is speaking of Holy Communion anyway. The Last Supper had not occurred at the time he said what he did there.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I've been feeling pressure over the years to get baptized so maybe it really is the "proper" way of baptism to God. Who knows. But, meanwhile my wife has never felt pressured to get rebaptized so who knows.

It's not a "pressure" thing per se ... if you feel led to be baptized then get baptized ... if your wife don't ... that's fine ... but because she doesn't feel led ... don't let that stop you from getting baptized ... you don't have to do it together ... it's a personal decision... and respect each others decision. My husband and I were baptized separately.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Which verses? I'm curious. True. But what makes a clergyman more qualified at getting Christ to turn the bread/wine into the body of Christ than anyone else?
It isn't a matter of being competent to do it, but of being authorized, called to it.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I feel for your situation. Some of my in-laws live in rural Vermont, and it takes a lot of driving for me to get to church on Sunday when I visit them. It's not easy to form a church when the communities are so small.

I don't know exactly where you are in New York, so you'll have to do some Google searching on your own, but I see some conservative Baptist churches in Plattsburgh, and Presbyterian Church in America churches in Canton, NY, Burlington, VT, and Albans, VT; one of those might meet your needs. Nationally, the United Church of Christ ordains women, and is liberal in some other ways, but you might find that an individual local Congregational church (in the UCC) is conservative enough to be a good fit for you.

You won't lose your salvation if you can't get to church or if you don't get rebaptized. The work of Christ saves you, and you are already trusting in God's grace, and that's enough. But, for myself, I find that it's good for me to worship with a local congregation. Partly, as important as private prayer is, there's something wonderful about praying with other people, and gathering with other people to make an offering of worship to God at the Communion table. And partly, other Christians are a good corrective for me; they keep me from following my own thoughts off into Crazyland. So I recommend trying to find a church close to you, if you can.

I wish you well in your search. I know that it can be hard to find a church in rural areas.

I believe Canton is relatively close to me. Plattsburgh is only about an hour to an hour and a half drive so maybe that'd be realistic. If I couldn't afford gas I could maybe find somebody from the church willing to drive a couple hours a day picking us up and dropping us off. We could maybe give them some money towards gas too. I'd have to google how far away it is. My sister wanted to go to college there back when she and I had dreams of getting an education back when we were 16 or so. One of her boyfriends lived there when he went to college there. I've been there a few times but I can't remember how far away it is. It's near FT.Drum right? We've been there a few times to pick up her exhusband when he was being stationed there when he was in the Army.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you're reformed there's no such thing as lost salvation. Failing to go to church regularly may be a sign that someone isn't saved in the first place.

My take on this is that you need to move. Church is important, you shouldn't go it alone and live without the means of grace. If the issue is work, you can find a job somewhere else.

Perhaps God does want me to move. I've lived here ever since I was seven and a half years old (I'm 33 now so almost for 30 years) and I've literally never been happy living here. I really would hate to just tell my parents that I don't appreciate their gift by moving though (They set me up land and a trailer that my wife and I have been living in for over 5 years now. My mom and dad promised me within a few years that they will give the house to us. So basically we're being given $70,000 worth of housing and land for free. Kinda.... seems stupid to move....)

I always wanted to move back to Canada but It's been like... that just isn't realistic. My wife would have to apply for citizenship (I'm good because not only am I a dual citizen but I was born in Canada and Canada always recognizes their own) and I would have to hope I would qualify for disability there (I probably would.) and then I'd have to find somewhere to live for basically free for a year. When grandpa passed away he left his house to my grandmother and then she passed away from lung cancer the very next year. My aunt lived in the house for a while and my dad has just recently sold the house. But, maybe I could have lived in that house for a year *shrug*. I also don't think there's such a thing as rental assistance in Canada even though I'd be getting a bigger check there than I do here in the States.

Anyway, my grandfather was a Protestant and my grandmother was a Catholic and afaik, they were practicing in their faith. They had no problems finding churches for their whole lives (Although I don't really remember what Church they went to. Never really asked them. I went to church with them as a kid but I don't remember what Church it was because I was like three-four years old at the time.)

But... maybe we could go to church in Cornwall. It isn't really all that far away. We would just have to pay for the bridge every time. So that'd be like $16 a month. Who knows... idk... we'll see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was in my 20’s and reading the Bible frequently. Jesus was baptized. Peter baptized the Gentile household of a Roman centurion. I had no memory of my infant baptism. The idea of me getting baptized kept coming to me. I pedaled my bike to a Southern Baptist church and told the pastor I wanted to get baptized, but not join the church. They do full immersions like John the Baptist did. I was invited to a church service for baptism. The pastor told the congregation I had requested baptism, but did not want to join the church. I leaned back into the water then the pastor lifted my back up out of the water. I was wet head to toe and glad. The joy lasted awhile. Further repentance is needed for greater glory.

I think salvation comes from doing the will of God more than religious ceremonies, but some people have heard the good news of God’s salvation in church. Some people have been healed in church such as was witnessed at the Azusa Street Revival in LA over 100 yrs ago. It was a house church and part of the Pentecostal movement.

Yes, I've been feeling the need to get rebaptized as well. I really want to do it in fact, so if I can't find a church I would probably make the drive once to get rebaptized the quote on quote "proper" way. Because honestly when I was like two months old how could I have made a public confession and dedication to Christ? It's true, I went to Christ several years later but it was not because of my baptism. It was because I couldn't stand living in such massive sin for so long. I was like... REALLY bad. XD

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's not a "pressure" thing per se ... if you feel led to be baptized then get baptized ... if your wife don't ... that's fine ... but because she doesn't feel led ... don't let that stop you from getting baptized ... you don't have to do it together ... it's a personal decision... and respect each others decision. My husband and I were baptized separately.

But if God really only accepts full immersion baptism shouldn't my wife get baptized full immersion as well? I mean, if the baptist belief is even true that is.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
\

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

This verse is symbolic and a spiritual teaching

If Christ is present in your life, life is present, but when Christ is absent, then death is present (no life).

The thief on the cross is an example of how quickly and fully the Lord will forgive, if one has a sincere heart.

1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But if God really only accepts full immersion baptism shouldn't my wife get baptized full immersion as well? I mean, if the baptist belief is even true that is.
You are referring to this: "It must be done just this certain way in order to be valid, but even then baptism doesn't do anything for you anyway. It's just a symbol or gesture."

That one?

Say what? :scratch:

Upvote 0