A concern id like to get a fellow protestants opinion on.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But if God really only accepts full immersion baptism shouldn't my wife get baptized full immersion as well? I mean, if the baptist belief is even true that is.

What is baptism?

Baptism symbolizes and declares our new faith in Christ and our trust in His forgiveness. Buried in the water, we arise to a new life in Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

We follow the steps of Jesus in everything. He was submerged at His baptism.

Baptism is symbolic ... but that doesn't mean it is not important. The decision to do so needs to come from your heart.

Like I said .... it is a personal decision.

Some people who have been previously baptized (submerged) decide to make a public recommitment to the Lord and get baptized again ... and that is acceptable as well.

Getting baptized don't save you, going to church don't save you ... it is your sincere personal relationship with the Lord and your commitment to Him.

Baptism is much more than a ceremony. Baptism is the Christian's figurative re-enactment of Christ's death, burial and resurrection. As Paul writes, "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life" (Romans 6:4). So Jesus' death on the cross becomes ours at baptism. Baptism is an outward expression of an inward conviction.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few questions. If communion doesn't save than why does Christ say in John 6 "If you don't take communion you have no life in you and that believers who take communion have eternal life?"

True the thief on the cross never had the chance to do any of these things but there are statements made by Christ that are suspicious.
Jesus didn't say that you had to take communion to have eternal life. Jesus said that you have to be "in communion with" belief in the breaking of His physical body and the shedding of His physical blood for your salvation.

John 6 is metaphorical language ... "I am the Bread of Life".

Communion is a remembrance of Jesus' sacrifice for us ...

"Do this in remembrance of Me."

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

What I would suggest is that you visit some of the nearby community churches. Beliefs in these churches often mirror those of Baptist churches. In fact, many Baptist churches are undergoing face-lifts (including renaming) to become more relevant to the post baby boomer generations.

So I would try out some of these churches ... before you settle for non-attendance. Both "Ignite" church and "The Church at the Well" seem quite viable. Give them a shot ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You are referring to this: "It must be done just this certain way in order to be valid, but even then baptism doesn't do anything for you anyway. It's just a symbol or gesture."

That one?

Say what? :scratch:

Well Baptism is a way for us to publically declare our faith in Christ right? To be buried with him...etc. But if the only valid form of baptism is full immersion than my wife and I haven't been baptized yet and should get baptized. I thin, that's what I'm saying anyway. Sorry if this still confuses you. Idk what I really mean.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What is baptism?

Baptism symbolizes and declares our new faith in Christ and our trust in His forgiveness. Buried in the water, we arise to a new life in Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

We follow the steps of Jesus in everything. He was submerged at His baptism.

Baptism is symbolic ... but that doesn't mean it is not important. The decision to do so needs to come from your heart.

Like I said .... it is a personal decision.

Some people who have been previously baptized (submerged) decide to make a public recommitment to the Lord and get baptized again ... and that is acceptable as well.

Getting baptized don't save you, going to church don't save you ... it is your sincere personal relationship with the Lord and your commitment to Him.

Baptism is much more than a ceremony. Baptism is the Christian's figurative re-enactment of Christ's death, burial and resurrection. As Paul writes, "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life" (Romans 6:4). So Jesus' death on the cross becomes ours at baptism. Baptism is an outward expression of an inward conviction.

God Bless.

What about the baptism of the Holy Spirit? What is different about that? Surely that baptism is a requirement for salvation as we are sealed by it.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't say that you had to take communion to have eternal life. Jesus said that you have to be "in communion with" belief in the breaking of His physical body and the shedding of His physical blood for your salvation.

John 6 is metaphorical language ... "I am the Bread of Life".

Communion is a remembrance of Jesus' sacrifice for us ...

"Do this in remembrance of Me."

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

What I would suggest is that you visit some of the nearby community churches. Beliefs in these churches often mirror those of Baptist churches. In fact, many Baptist churches are undergoing face-lifts (including renaming) to become more relevant to the post baby boomer generations.

So I would try out some of these churches ... before you settle for non-attendance. Both "Ignite" church and "The Church at the Well" seem quite viable. Give them a shot ...

Yeah they sound like good churches to attend. Honestly? As long as the church teaches eternall security, solar scriptural, and sola fides I dont care much about their other beliefs.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Anyway on the topic of my salvation. God knows everything about me right? He knows all of my Hope's and dreams. My weaknesses, my temptations, he knows my entire life. And yet God has promised that all of his sheep throughout eternity will have eternal life and will never perish. This is a strong message of eternal security once I got saved I will REMAIN saved throughout ALL of eternity.

So this either means I will either find a church eventually and will come to everything that I need for salvation already or that I always was saved from the moment I was conceived no from before God even formed the world. I say the second option is true. There really is no other explanation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well Baptism is a way for us to publically declare our faith in Christ right? To be buried with him...etc. But if the only valid form of baptism is full immersion than my wife and I haven't been baptized yet and should get baptized. I thin, that's what I'm saying anyway. Sorry if this still confuses you. Idk what I really mean.
It doesn't confuse me. It's what one radical segment of Christians came up with during the Reformation, horrifying the Lutherans, Anglicans, Presbyterians, and Catholics alike.

But if you want to go that route, I would encourage you and your wife not to put it off...and that goes for finding a congregation to belong to, also.
:)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't confuse me. It's what one radical segment of Christians came up with during the Reformation, horrifying the Lutherans, Anglicans, Presbyterians, and Catholics alike.

But if you want to go that route, I would encourage you and your wife not to put it off...and that goes for finding a congregation to belong to, also.
:)

Yeah that's true tha mostly only baptists believe it but I think Piper might have a point. Nowhere in scripture is infant baptism taught it's always by full immersion in a river. Even when Christ was baptized he was baptized full immersion. *shrug* maybe I'll make a topic on it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about the baptism of the Holy Spirit? What is different about that? Surely that baptism is a requirement for salvation as we are sealed by it.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit (fullness) does not necessarily happen with ones "water" baptism (in fact many times not).

The work of the Holy Spirit brings one to know they need the savior in the first place.

It's about motivation .... what is motiving somebody to get baptized .... because it's "required" (ie that would be a work, ie if I do something I get something) ... or is it because, you have accepted Jesus and choose to follow Him out of love?

Getting baptized is not a "law" ... it's proclaiming your love for the Lord and because you love Him you invite Him to work in your life, to change you, to conform you into His image ... and His image is LOVE.

Everything we think and do is to be with the motivation of Love ... EVERYTHING.

It is all about love ... and the sincere condition of what is in your heart ... and only you and Jesus knows if it's out of love or not.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that's true tha mostly only baptists believe it but I think Piper might have a point. Nowhere in scripture is infant baptism taught it's always by full immersion in a river. Even when Christ was baptized he was baptized full immersion. *shrug* maybe I'll make a topic on it.
None of that is known for certain. It's assumed by the same folks who insist that the rest of us cannot assume that households in those days included children (when the Bible says that "entire households" were baptized on the profession of faith made by the head of the household).

Weird, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums