A concern id like to get a fellow protestants opinion on.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why would you feel the need to do that?

Because Christ said to his disciples "do this in remembrance of me" whether it symbolized Christs sacrifice or whether it was literally his flesh and blood, we should partake in communion regularly as believers. And me saying/believing that and not doing it myself kinda makes me a hypocrite dontcha think? XD.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, about half of the Protestant churches think that the eucharist is only symbolic and those that do are not also teaching that a layperson can officiate. Even if Communion were or is symbolic, it takes a minister properly called by the church/congregation.

Perhaps. It's just an idea. But honestly I can't see how a pastor can just wave his arms and magically make bread and wind the literal body and blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean start my own church? I considered it along with going to school for theology and getting my masters degree in theology. But I never followed up on it. But that's an idea.
Actually a house church is simply opening up your home to other Christians to worship the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Just be a servant. The Holy Spirit is our Teacher. I know it is a far fetch concept these days but IMO it is the best way.
Blessings

• Friendly
Reactions: Cheryl6397
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I'd consider that then. If Baptst/Anglican is almost the sa m.h e as Presbyterian besides them having female pastors.
They aren't. Oscarr was just pointing out that you have to weigh the differences and decide which departures from what you want--in any of these churches--are critical to you and which ones you can tolerate. (Anglicanism, by the way, is NOTHING like the Baptist churches. Presbyterianism is clearly the one of all those which have been mentioned so far that comes the closest to what you want).

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Attending church doesn't save a person ... Jesus does.

Christians are people who follow the teachings of Christ they are the called out ones. Don't get hung up on the various "labels".

and this is what Jesus taught ...

Matthew 16:24

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

Go online and get some good bible study guides.

Start your own "church" ... get people together at your houses and study together .... just like in the days of the apostles. A lot of people do that.

Protestants are people that are separate from the Roman Catholic Church and follow the principles of the Reformation

You are a follower of Christ ... study His word diligently.

Wanting to get baptized through a church? Write some letters to churches closest to you and let them know you and your wife want to get baptized ... some may require you be a member of their church ... leave those alone and keep searching ... or .... search for a retired minister ... if you look eventually you will find ... perhaps they will come to you .... all you need is enough water to be submerged and a sincere heart.

What is Baptism?

Baptism symbolizes and declares our new faith in Christ and our trust in His forgiveness. Buried in the water, we arise to a new life in Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

Don't worry and study Gods word!

God Bless.

Honestly Paul and the apostles baptized people without them being a member of their "congregation" so I dont see why churches today wouldn't. But I dont think I should get baptized asap. I think it should be when God wants me to get baptized at the perfect time.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Actually a house church is simply opening up your home to other Christians to worship the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Just be a servant. The Holy Spirit is our Teacher. I know it is a far fetch concept these days but IMO it is the best way.
Blessings

Oh is it? I'll have to look into that tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps. It's just an idea. But honestly I can't see how a pastor can just wave his arms and magically make bread and wind the literal body and blood of Christ.
No Protestant church thinks that he can, so that isn't an issue for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because Christ said to his disciples "do this in remembrance of me" whether it symbolized Christs sacrifice or whether it was literally his flesh and blood, we should partake in communion regularly as believers. And me saying/believing that and not doing it myself kinda makes me a hypocrite dontcha think? XD.
You don't think that Protestants who take communion and understand it as symbolic do so in remembrance of Christ? I can tell you we most certainly do. I'm also not seeing how making your own elements at home and taking them at home is in any way more closely following Christ than taking communion at church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly Paul and the apostles baptized people without them being a member of their "congregation" so I dont see why churches today wouldn't. But I dont think I should get baptized asap. I think it should be when God wants me to get baptized at the perfect time.
:amen:
I would agree ... I'm not a church goer but I study Gods word diligently ... love it!

I just mention that because when i accepted the Lord I couldn't wait to get baptized .... talk about driven by the Holy Spirit! Anyways, it took me a while to find a church that would baptize me without becoming a "member" ... I was baptized in a stock tank in the Nazarene church :) How wonderful the Lord is! Amen!

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In NZ there was a major division between the orthodox and the "modernist liberal" (no resurrection, no virgin birth, God not personal - Bishop Spong's teaching). So you need to find out where they stand in that.

But aren’t those fundamental Christian beliefs? Especially the resurrection.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But aren’t those fundamental Christian beliefs? Especially the resurrection.
We used to say so, but many mainline denominations have indeed tilted lately towards something that's more like Unitarianism than traditional Christianity.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've already mentioned that I love watching Piper. My wife and I think that hes a FANTASTIC pastor. But, hes also getting on in the years and wont be around for forever unfortunately. Hes already in his early 70s.

Yup. John Piper is an excellent pastor. While I don’t agree with him on certain issues, they are few pastors in which you really feel like this person is passionate about the gospel.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know! I just got into a debate with you last week about this I out of everyone should know this. Idk just temporarily lost myself I guess. Lol!

lol. No problem my friend. I do hope you and your wife find fellowship with believers soon. I’m in a similar situation as yourself.

• Agree
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I have a question. Since church attendance just isn't realistic in any way,shape, or form for me will I lose my salvation?

No. Church attendance has nothing to do with how you're saved or remain saved. Going to church is important for different reasons having to do with your spiritual stability and growth.

If I don't take communion will I lose my salvation?

No, taking communion does not make you saved nor does it keep you saved. Communion is about remembering the atoning work of Christ at Calvary. You can do this anywhere.

Or get baptized the "right" way?

Baptism, too, does not save. It is symbolic of your union with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection. Baptism connects faith with action. But baptism does not have anything to do with obtaining or keeping salvation. Consider the thief on the cross.

But isn't a faith that saves a faith that's never alone? I.E. I SHOULD get baptized full immersion and I SHOULF regularly attend church, regularly take communion,...etc.

And you should never sin again, too. Ideally. You should live a life utterly perfect before God, totally devoted to Him in every respect, a shining beacon of truth and light to the world. But you aren't. None of us is. Fortunately, God does not rest our salvation upon what we should be but upon who Christ is for us.

True, I do Gods will and Gods work everyday of my life but is it really enough to say "I have saving faith and will believe in Christ until the day I die?"

"Enough"? Enough for what, exactly? Can you contribute to Christ's perfect atoning work on the cross? Absolutely not. Can you do anything to satisfy God more than He is already with what Christ has done for you? No. God accepts you ONLY because you are in Christ, clothed in his perfect righteousness, redeemed, sanctified and justified through him. You have nothing to contribute to your salvation but to believe it and receive it. That is "enough."

I know I have the Holy Spirit for several reasons but I guess I am just thinking a long the lines if "what if I'm wrong and I don't have the HS?" What if what I witnessed of my rebirth was a lie?

Well, then, you're in very serious trouble. But the Bible tells us how to test the genuineness of our salvation. You don't have to wonder whether or not you're saved. You can know for sure that you are (or aren't). Does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? Does He bear witness with your spirit that you are God's? Does the Spirit illuminate your mind to divine truth? Does He comfort you in times of distress? Does He strengthen you in times of trial and temptation? If you can see the work of the Spirit in these ways in your life, you are saved. Does God discipline you? He does this only to His children. Do you love the brethren? The apostle John said this was proof-positive of being saved. Do you desire to be holy? Can you see the Fruit of the Spirit developing in your life? These are all signs of the indwelling Spirit who is the source of your second birth.

Idk... I just feel like crap. Like I have no right to call myself a Protestant is if all I do is believe like a Protestant and love to watch Protestant services on YouTube.

It isn't important that you can call yourself a Protestant. What IS important is that you know you are a born-again disciple of Christ.

And he says that Church attendance doesn't make the Christian. But many other Pastors do. So its like... Who do I listen to?

What does the Bible say? That's always the question you should be asking. Does the Bible anywhere say that salvation is dependent upon church attendance? No, it doesn't. It is important, but not to whether or not you're saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Huh I actually didnt know that. I just wanted to look in Burlington because it was probably the closest large city to me besides Plattsburgh.

I only provided that information because I thought it was interesting. There is an opportunity for that church to share their faith.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually you have a really great point. The thief on the cross did the bare minimum to get saved but Christ saved him due to his faith. He probably recieved no rewards in heaven (because how could he have done so when he died literally within the hour after his statement of faith)

I mean I do do things for Christ on a daily basis and when I went to Christ in the first place I went "all in". Theres a 100% chance I'm saved. So honestly idk what's wrong with me.

If a Christian ended up not attending and actively participating in his church he would probably lose rewards. Not salvation.

We don't need to work for rewards. We have all blessings. The joy of works is that we are bringing glory to God. A Christian is someone who loves to please Him!

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/do_christians_receive_rewards_in_heaven.shtml

• Agree
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm getting a car VERY soon so my wife and I have been excited and have been looking for some Baptist churches in our area. The problem? There are virtually none. We literally live in the middle of nowhere.
So I have a question. Since church attendance just isn't realistic in any way,shape, or form for me will I lose my salvation? If I don't take communion will I lose my salvation? Or get baptized the "right" way? Because my wife and I both were already baptized. We just were infants at the time. I want to make a public declaration of my faith in Christ so maybe I will get baptized full immersion one day and pay for that cost.

I feel for your situation. Some of my in-laws live in rural Vermont, and it takes a lot of driving for me to get to church on Sunday when I visit them. It's not easy to form a church when the communities are so small.

I don't know exactly where you are in New York, so you'll have to do some Google searching on your own, but I see some conservative Baptist churches in Plattsburgh, and Presbyterian Church in America churches in Canton, NY, Burlington, VT, and Albans, VT; one of those might meet your needs. Nationally, the United Church of Christ ordains women, and is liberal in some other ways, but you might find that an individual local Congregational church (in the UCC) is conservative enough to be a good fit for you.

You won't lose your salvation if you can't get to church or if you don't get rebaptized. The work of Christ saves you, and you are already trusting in God's grace, and that's enough. But, for myself, I find that it's good for me to worship with a local congregation. Partly, as important as private prayer is, there's something wonderful about praying with other people, and gathering with other people to make an offering of worship to God at the Communion table. And partly, other Christians are a good corrective for me; they keep me from following my own thoughts off into Crazyland. So I recommend trying to find a church close to you, if you can.

I wish you well in your search. I know that it can be hard to find a church in rural areas.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We used to say so, but many mainline denominations have indeed tilted lately towards something that's more like Unitarianism than traditional Christianity.

Are you serious? I don't imagine it's like that here based on my having visited several denominations and my interaction with Christians online.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I feel for your situation. Some of my in-laws live in rural Vermont, and it takes a lot of driving for me to get to church on Sunday when I visit them. It's not easy to form a church when the communities are so small.

I don't know exactly where you are in New York, so you'll have to do some Google searching on your own, but I see some conservative Baptist churches in Plattsburgh, and Presbyterian Church in America churches in Canton, NY, Burlington, VT, and Albans, VT; one of those might meet your needs. Nationally, the United Church of Christ ordains women, and is liberal in some other ways, but you might find that an individual local Congregational church (in the UCC) is conservative enough to be a good fit for you.

You won't lose your salvation if you can't get to church or if you don't get rebaptized. The work of Christ saves you, and you are already trusting in God's grace, and that's enough. But, for myself, I find that it's good for me to worship with a local congregation. Partly, as important as private prayer is, there's something wonderful about praying with other people, and gathering with other people to make an offering of worship to God at the Communion table. And partly, other Christians are a good corrective for me; they keep me from following my own thoughts off into Crazyland. So I recommend trying to find a church close to you, if you can.

I wish you well in your search. I know that it can be hard to find a church in rural areas.

UCC is the sorriest Protestant denomination I've ever attended.

• Useful
Upvote 0