A concern id like to get a fellow protestants opinion on.

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Okay maybe I can't call myself a Protestant when I don't belong to the Protestant church.

I do believe that I am chosen by God,saved, and will preservere to the end (since I believe in perseverance of the saints and I've tried to leave the faith before. Its impossible), my beliefs line up with most Protestants therefore I label myself a Protestant despite not actually being a member of any Protestant church.

Anyway I have a few questions. I'm getting a car VERY soon so my wife and I have been excited and have been looking for some Baptist churches in our area. The problem? There are virtually none. We literally live in the middle of nowhere.

I've found one Baptist church in South Burlington thats really promising. But south Burlington is over 100 miles away and would cost my wife and I at least $60 a week to go to by the time you count donations and gas money. That's almost $250 a month and honestly just isn't realistic for my wife and I on our VERY limited income.

So its seeming like church continues to be hopeless because I absolutely refuse to get into a car with a complete stranger for 6+ hours when I have a car now. Plus who would agree to drive for 6 hours for basically free and eat $40+ a week in gas not to mention wear and tear on their car? Nope, not realistic.

So I have a question. Since church attendance just isn't realistic in any way,shape, or form for me will I lose my salvation? If I don't take communion will I lose my salvation? Or get baptized the "right" way? Because my wife and I both were already baptized. We just were infants at the time. I want to make a public declaration of my faith in Christ so maybe I will get baptized full immersion one day and pay for that cost.

Okay fine, you can't lose your salvation. I know its a commonly held Protestant belief that's taught in the Bible. But isn't a faith that saves a faith that's never alone? I.E. I SHOULD get baptized full immersion and I SHOULF regularly attend church, regularly take communion,...etc.

After all that's what God created me for and commanded me to do right? No sarcasm here I'm being serious and I really do believe that a saving faith is a faith of action.

True, I do Gods will and Gods work everyday of my life but is it really enough to say "I have saving faith and will believe in Christ until the day I die?"

I know I will preservere not just because I believe in perseverance of the saints but also because I couldn't lose my faith in Christ even if I TRIED.
I know I have the Holy Spirit for several reasons but I guess I am just thinking a long the lines if "what if I'm wrong and I don't have the HS?" What if what I witnessed of my rebirth was a lie?

Idk... I just feel like crap. Like I have no right to call myself a Protestant is if all I do is believe like a Protestant and love to watch Protestant services on YouTube. I happen to think Piper is fantastic. And he says that Church attendance doesn't make the Christian. But many other Pastors do. So its like... Who do I listen to?
If you're reformed there's no such thing as lost salvation. Failing to go to church regularly may be a sign that someone isn't saved in the first place.

My take on this is that you need to move. Church is important, you shouldn't go it alone and live without the means of grace. If the issue is work, you can find a job somewhere else.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay maybe I can't call myself a Protestant when I don't belong to the Protestant church.

I do believe that I am chosen by God,saved, and will preservere to the end (since I believe in perseverance of the saints and I've tried to leave the faith before. Its impossible), my beliefs line up with most Protestants therefore I label myself a Protestant despite not actually being a member of any Protestant church.

Anyway I have a few questions. I'm getting a car VERY soon so my wife and I have been excited and have been looking for some Baptist churches in our area. The problem? There are virtually none. We literally live in the middle of nowhere.

I've found one Baptist church in South Burlington thats really promising. But south Burlington is over 100 miles away and would cost my wife and I at least $60 a week to go to by the time you count donations and gas money. That's almost $250 a month and honestly just isn't realistic for my wife and I on our VERY limited income.

So its seeming like church continues to be hopeless because I absolutely refuse to get into a car with a complete stranger for 6+ hours when I have a car now. Plus who would agree to drive for 6 hours for basically free and eat $40+ a week in gas not to mention wear and tear on their car? Nope, not realistic.

So I have a question. Since church attendance just isn't realistic in any way,shape, or form for me will I lose my salvation? If I don't take communion will I lose my salvation? Or get baptized the "right" way? Because my wife and I both were already baptized. We just were infants at the time. I want to make a public declaration of my faith in Christ so maybe I will get baptized full immersion one day and pay for that cost.

Okay fine, you can't lose your salvation. I know its a commonly held Protestant belief that's taught in the Bible. But isn't a faith that saves a faith that's never alone? I.E. I SHOULD get baptized full immersion and I SHOULF regularly attend church, regularly take communion,...etc.

After all that's what God created me for and commanded me to do right? No sarcasm here I'm being serious and I really do believe that a saving faith is a faith of action.

True, I do Gods will and Gods work everyday of my life but is it really enough to say "I have saving faith and will believe in Christ until the day I die?"

I know I will preservere not just because I believe in perseverance of the saints but also because I couldn't lose my faith in Christ even if I TRIED.
I know I have the Holy Spirit for several reasons but I guess I am just thinking a long the lines if "what if I'm wrong and I don't have the HS?" What if what I witnessed of my rebirth was a lie?

Idk... I just feel like crap. Like I have no right to call myself a Protestant is if all I do is believe like a Protestant and love to watch Protestant services on YouTube. I happen to think Piper is fantastic. And he says that Church attendance doesn't make the Christian. But many other Pastors do. So its like... Who do I listen to?
I was in my 20’s and reading the Bible frequently. Jesus was baptized. Peter baptized the Gentile household of a Roman centurion. I had no memory of my infant baptism. The idea of me getting baptized kept coming to me. I pedaled my bike to a Southern Baptist church and told the pastor I wanted to get baptized, but not join the church. They do full immersions like John the Baptist did. I was invited to a church service for baptism. The pastor told the congregation I had requested baptism, but did not want to join the church. I leaned back into the water then the pastor lifted my back up out of the water. I was wet head to toe and glad. The joy lasted awhile. Further repentance is needed for greater glory.

I think salvation comes from doing the will of God more than religious ceremonies, but some people have heard the good news of God’s salvation in church. Some people have been healed in church such as was witnessed at the Azusa Street Revival in LA over 100 yrs ago. It was a house church and part of the Pentecostal movement.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
UCC is the sorriest Protestant denomination I've ever attended.
My experience with the UCC was better. I've worshiped at the Congregational church in the Massachusetts town where my grandmother was the organist, and it was a nice little church. My own preference is for more liturgy, whereas this church was less liturgical and more Reformed, but it seemed a good place in which to be a Christian.

The national UCC denomination is certainly more liberal than the OP is looking for. But individual congregations vary. I mention the Congregational churches because of the geographical location of the OP: Congregational churches are plentiful in New England and eastern New York. If a town has only one church, it might be Congregational. They have a generally Reformed feel to them, which fits the OP's sensibilities, and if the Congregational church in the nearest town has a male pastor, it might be a good enough fit for the OP. It would at least be worth a visit.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why do you think you have to be immersed? I have been a Christian Reformed Church member a long time. We're Protestants. However, I was christened as a baby in the Methodist church and immersed at 12 in another Protestant church. I did not experience the new birth until we attended a Baptist church when I was 16. In my opinion, you don't have to be immersed; you were already baptized. You have now responded in faith to your baptism. Find a good Reformed, Presbyterian, or Christian Reformed Church that preaches the inspired Scriptures, Jesus crucified, and his resurrection for our salvation. Some of them don't. Then, transfer your baptismal memberships, and make professions of your faith in that church that's nearer and more accessible to you. That's my advice.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I found one that you might check out, an Alliance church that's probably on the charismatic side, but the preaching may be okay.http://www.northave.org/directions

Upvote 0

Russ Campbell

An ounce of faith overcomes a ton of fear!
Site Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟93,154.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have a personal testimony about all of that , I was a regular church goer for over 5 years , then my church shut down, I was at church for maybe a month, then I stopped going because I could not find a ride to church , but the real reason is that I bought something that had Satan's name written all over it, I will not mention the product unless someone asks but suffice to say that I did not go to church for almost 6 months. I knew what I was doing when I bought this device named after Satan, and by friend suggested that I rename it something after Jesus , cause Jesus Name covers everything? Well I am here to tell you that not only was he wrong but it was the worse Blasphemy I could think of. I threw the item in the garbage but not after talking to a fellow Christian who informed me that calling something with Satan's name on it anything to do with Jesus is actually calling Satan Jesus. I went on the board, a NON Christian board and talked about it for 4 hours and as I talked to half and half Christians I found out that there were a lo of Christians that had bought one of these devices and called it something after Jesus.

My point is that if you worship at home and don't go to church you could fall into the same trap I did , I had not been to church ever since I bought this device , and boy when I found out what I had done to our Lord and Saviour I cried tears as I repented and turned away from it.

ANother point is don't become so over confident that you allow Satan in to your small cracks, and thats how he gets in subtly.

This happens with little things, and they become bigger and bigger until they actually block out the church.

Sunday is my first day back to church, last night was my fourth Bible study, I cannot stop preaching His word, and I am trying to read what people ask in the messages, then use my tools in E-Sword to find an answer, including the Bible, commentaries, etc. Russ

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Neostarwcc, You love the Lord and I believe you always will. Satan can't have you because God has set you free from Satan's power. Read your Bible every day and you can even do that online. You can also find commentaries online.

“If we lose motivation, we will not read the Bible. And if we don’t read the Bible, we miss everything God has for us through the word.”
--- John Piper

Three Reasons to Read the Bible Every Day in 2019

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Genesis 1:1 Topical Bible

Genesis 1:1 Commentaries: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:1 Sermons: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2019 (Messages)

Christian Colossians 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi there are many in your situation and some have found on line churches that they can be part of remotely through the webcasts. Then for personal fellowship and a network of support you might start a home Bible study in your limited area. A guy named JD Farag has been doing a weekly prophecy update for years and many who were introduced to him through a prophecy update have become on line members because they cannot find a Bible believing church in their area.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

OK, let's look at your questions.

You will not lose your salvation if you don't go to church, don't take communion or don't get baptized.

You can watch or listen to other church programs on radio, TV or other media.. There is no shortage.

Questions for you..

Why just a Baptist church. There are many gospel preaching, solidly founded God believing churches out there... Are there any closer to you?

Could you drive the extra miles to get baptized at least?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Just keep on the lookout though. Do your research about churches close to you and see which ones best suit what you're looking for and even try them out see if you like it. I used to think charismatics,Pentecostals or full gospel believers were crazy and way out of line with tradition, but here I am in a full gospel church and loving it. I like certain baptist churches too, I have good friends in that church.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
OK, let's look at your questions.

You will not lose your salvation if you don't go to church, don't take communion or don't get baptized.

You can watch or listen to other church programs on radio, TV or other media.. There is no shortage.

Questions for you..

Why just a Baptist church. There are many gospel preaching, solidly founded God believing churches out there... Are there any closer to you?

Could you drive the extra miles to get baptized at least?

Yeah. If I don't end up finding a church I do want to get baptized full immersion and spend the money to go there. Who knows if I do end up getting baptized in a church maybe they'll offer me transportation there if I give them like $50 a month towards gas and maybe donate an additional $50 or so to the church. I could maybe offer my services to the church too maybe. You know like offer food to their food pantry and whatnot. I'd like to be active in my church if I do end up finding one.

There's virtually zero churches around here but maybe ill suck it up and hear a few female preachers speak. Dunno.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm so far behind in this thread I can't possibly respond to all of you guys but I'll try to read them all tomorrow and reply to the best ones tomorrow morning.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Absolutely not. There is not a checklist criteria of works you have to do (like go to church every Sunday) that earns salvation. You can worship God privately, have studies with your bible, online studies (I mainly study online and not with other Christians outside conversation)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely not. There is not a checklist criteria of works you have to do (like go to church every Sunday) that earns salvation. You can worship God privately, have studies with your bible, online studies (I mainly study online and not with other Christians outside conversation)

Thanks! I didnt think so. I mean I think I was just being emo the other day. Obviously if I can't find a church than my salvation isn't in jeopardy Jesus promised to save all of his sheep and God has proven to me time and time again that I am one of them. Tha mks for the reassurance!

I ended up being busy this morning guys and I might be busy tomorrow but I'll try to catch up to this thread and to the one I'm posting in a moment anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi, in the struggles of life we find out what we really have placed our faith in, There we not only learn about ourselves its in those times the Lord reveals Himself to us in ways that are simply amazing. A quick, hoping short story that might help. Jacob means Schemer so when you met him you knew there could be problems ahead. Jacob schemed and stole the blessing from Esau that God had already promised to Jacob. But between God's promise and its fulfillment, as Tom Petty said can be "The Hardest Part." that is where Satan attacks are faith like crazy. So Jacob sole what was already his and his brother was going to kill him. Jacob in his spiritual darkness, represented by night, flees in utter terror. That night Jacob came to the end of his own strength and found a place to lay down. Jacob rested that night in his spiritual darkness on a rock, picturing for us the Rock who is Christ. Jacob's situation didn't change instead heaven opened and he saw a ladder connecting heaven and earth and on that ladder ministering angels descended and ascended. Of course the ladder was Christ who connected heaven and earth through His work here and His angels still come to His people to minister to us. But this was not going to be th last time Jacob was going to need this to take place teaching us no matter what God is with us. Jacob sees two camps of angels when the Lord lifts the curtain between the seen and unseen all of this revealed to him as he is headed to met Esau and his sure death,

Jacob with all this assurance from the Lord that he is not alone he rests right on those promises oh wait that must be someone else's story. No after all the Lord showed him Jacob the Schemer, well, he schemes what a surprise. Comes up with a great plan he thinks. Jacob seeking to deceive his brother again divides all his belongings ahead that Esau might feel sorry and let him live. Jacob makes camp that night at the River Jabbok a play on Jacob's name. In the darkness something strange happen Jacob joins in a wrestling match. Again darkness symbolizes our own spiritual darkness were we are tired, confused, scared, wavering in our faith and so on. Jacob wrestles trying to win but his opponent doesn't seem to be trying to win. The wrestling match continues all night and Jacob ask the wrestler his name but is told it is not time to reveal His name, that comes in the N. T.. Then the Being touches Jacob's hip causing a degree of that alters his walk. Jacob the schemer now can only cling to his opponent and beg His blessing. When I am weak He is strong. As the light begins to show we see Jacob's eyes see a little differently now he knows God was in that place. Jacob who is still a Schemer now becomes Israel "A Prince with God." You are at the river Jabbok wrestling in the darkness of whatever it is that being wrestled with as you seek His wisdom and direction. Our Jabbok wrestling times come in many forms but by the end of the night more light now shines and we have become weak that He may become strong on our behalf. Then comes the mistake we so often make. Remember all the stuff Jacob used to Scheme with sent ahead that were hindrances to his walk with the Lord? Like Jacob we go right out and pick it back up carrying it once again through the wilderness of sin.

You can obtain a communion kit on your own maybe you and some of your neighbors are being led to form a home church. the only baptism you need is the baptism you have already have, no not the kiddie one, it took place the minute you believed and the one thing you need or all this God stuff is not believed because to the man without the Holy Spirit the things of God are foolishness to the natural man. . The fact that the things you profess are proof that you have His Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Guarantee He has given to each of us that we might know we are His.

When the Jewish people would go up to the temple many interesting things would transpire but my two favorites were the steps leading up to enter before God and the other was the exit having been in His presence. As you began your ascent into the Presence of God the steps were set up in such a way you had short steps and wide steps that were meant to consider every step you took to God. We are all called to examine ourselves and to get rid of all that is not for His glory and so forth. But now you have been before God did you then leave in the same way you came? No the Jewish people exited out a dirrent was because every encounter whether in our spiritual darkness wrestling. Whether it it in His Holy Presence our walk is to be changed by that encounter.

You are at the River Jabbok in your present darkness and the Wrestler awaits you and His loving mercy
will dislocate your hip as He did Jacob's forever altering your walk and with each wrestling the darkness is being broken up more and more by the coming Light of the World. Try and avoid picking up any of the unneeded stuff. Praying for you. Enjoying the struggle and hope you will as well. Hebews 11 known as the great faith chapter but 11 cannot be unlinked with chapter 12 follows and not just because its the next number. There is a tremendous teaching for the Lord's people. Hebrews 12 is the great trials chapters where we are told we are trained by God Himself to run the race. Trained by a Trainer who knows just what is rright to win the race because He not only ran it to save us He knows has marked out the course for us and runs that same race with each of His people. It is a course designed by Him especially for us and run that race and He will use it to bring forth a harvest of righteousness for us, strengthen our hands, works, legs, our walk and to smooth the way for those coming after us as those who ran it before us made it easier to run and win the race as we are now helping those coming behind us. Don't know if any of this may help I pray He will use it for you or anyone needing to hear it. I try hard not to make it long without much success. You are in my prayers and in His hands and He works all things for good for His people. Praise His name.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Maybe you should start an Amish clan.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No Protestant church thinks that he can, so that isn't an issue for you.

So the pastors believe that its already the body and blood of Christ? o_O how is that possible when its just bread and wine?

Oh I think I understand. They think that Christ is the one that makes it his flesh and blood while they say a prayer over it. I guess you can argue that considering that's what Christ did for us But its still very confusing to me.

But here's a serious question I don't mean to be a troll or anything with this question. If this is true why can't ANYONE say a prayer over bread and wine and have Christ turn it into his flesh and blood for them? Why does it have to be a priest or pastor? Christ said "do this in remembrance of me." not "only a clergyman can cause it to become my flesh and blood and Do it in remembrance of me."

One could argue the apostles were special but the apostles freely gave communion after Christ died and ascended to heaven and they were just average joes who didn't go to a university to get their masters/doctorates in theology to apparently get Christ to listen to them and turn their food into his body/blood.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh I think I understand. They think that Christ is the one that makes it his flesh and blood while they say a prayer over it.
Now we're clicking!

But here's a serious question I don't mean to be a troll or anything with this question. If this is true why can't ANYONE say a prayer over bread and wine and have Christ turn it into his flesh and blood for them? Why does it have to be a priest or pastor? Christ said "do this in remembrance of me." not "only a clergyman can cause it to become my flesh and blood and Do it in remembrance of me."
Christ said it to his Apostles, however, and it is clear from other places in the New Testament that he commissioned them to be the leaders of his church, have extraordinary authority, be the ones to resolve differences, etc. -- none of which applies to the rank and file follower.

One could argue the apostles were special but the apostles freely gave communion after Christ died and ascended to heaven and they were just average joes who didn't go to a university to get their masters/doctorates in theology to apparently get Christ to listen to them and turn their food into his body/blood.
Being a minister, pastor, deacon, presbyter/elder, or bishop, etc. is not a matter of college degrees, though. Being properly called to the office is, though.

Rightly or wrongly, it has always been believed that the Apostles were commissioned as no one else was in an association (church) that Christ deliberately established;and that they, the Apostles, passed their commissions on to others (some instances of which are recorded for us in the New Testament). The qualifications for the offices/orders of deacon and bishop, in fact, are outlined in various verses.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You don't think that Protestants who take communion and understand it as symbolic do so in remembrance of Christ? I can tell you we most certainly do. I'm also not seeing how making your own elements at home and taking them at home is in any way more closely following Christ than taking communion at church.

That was kinda my idea, yeah. If it's not the same than somehow getting a degree in Theology makes you a better subject for taking communion. Even if it is the literal body and blood of Christ, I don't see why Christ wouldn't answer anyone's prayer to turn the bread/wine into his flesh/body.

Upvote 0