SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Definitely some Holocaust level denialism in this thread. I was being sarcastic when I mentioned not that many Jews died in the Holocaust, but it looks like people are happily walking that line. I guess I should take that Maya Angelou quote to heart, "When someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time."

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Planes were rare in those days, and even military planes were used mainly for reconnaissance. It's an anachronism, really. Planes dropping bombs to attack cities didn't really become part of military doctrine until World War II. So I'm going to call horsepuckies on this one, and it seems as though I'm in fairly good company. From the Oklahoma Commission Report via Wikipedia:

"Richard S. Warner concluded in his submission to The Oklahoma Commission that contrary to later reports by claimed eyewitnesses of seeing explosions, there was no reliable evidence to support such attacks. Warner noted that while a number of newspapers targeted at Black readers heavily reported the use of nitroglycerin, turpentine and rifles from the planes, many cited anonymous sources or second-hand accounts. Beryl Ford, one of the pre-eminent historians of the disaster, concluded from his large collection of photographs that there was no evidence of any building damaged by explosions."
Your ability to assess history is "horsepuckies."

What Role Did Airplanes Play in the Tulsa Race Massacre?
In the Tulsa Riot Commission report, researchers concluded that some form of an aerial attack on the Greenwood District did take place, but they fell short of giving it the same prominence as did some of the eyewitnesses who lived through the massacre. “It is within reason that there was some shooting from planes and even the dropping of incendiaries, but the evidence would seem to indicate that it was of a minor nature and had no real effect in the riot,” wrote Richard S. Warner of the Tulsa Historical Society in the report
Planes were used and according to eyewitness accounts, there were people shooting and dropping things from them. Was it the primary cause of the massacre and ensuing damage? Probably not, but it still happened.

You know, there is so much devotion to arguing that the "black mob" was the real problem, this is to somehow justify attack on an entire city. But if you actually look at the historic record and research, you will see that this was a racist attack against a community that was considered "uppity."

I will now believe people the first time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
100 Years After the Tulsa Massacre, What Does Justice Look Like?

This article was part of an earlier post (#41). The article builds a very sympathetic case for why the shooting of Terence Culture by police indicates, with little evidence, that Tulsa is still showing racist bias 100 years after the massacre . It then goes on to assert with minimal justification that restitution should be paid based in part on the lingering affects of that massacre on black people in this city today. It emotionally pulls at the readers heart strings by portraying Crutcher in a very favorable light. It goes on inferring that the shooting of Crutcher should never have happened and was not justified. After many, many paragraphs it casually mentions that the officer was found not guilty.
The facts of the shooting tell the complete story. It is important that a false impression that the actions of the police officer were unjustified or influenced by race are refuted.
Police stated that Crutcher kept reaching into his pocket, refused to show his hands, walked towards his vehicle despite being told to stop, and then angled towards and reached into his vehicle. Critics have disputed this saying that the driver's side window was up when Crutcher was shot. However, the Jury concluded "It is clear to the Jury after intensely studying the video, still photos, and testimony that the windows to the SUV driven by Terrance Crutcher that evening were open and that the jury believes from said evidence that Terrance Crutcher did in fact reach into the window disobeying the instructions of the police officers on location. Autopsy results released by the Oklahoma State Medical Examiner indicated that Terence Crutcher had "acute phencyclidine (PCP) intoxication" at the time of the shooting. The report stated that Crutcher had 96 nanograms per milliliter of PCP in his blood at the time of death.[30] The report also indicated that tenocyclidine (TCP), a psychostimulant and hallucinogen which is more potent than PCP, was present.[31]
Officer Shelby was accused of "unlawfully and unnecessarily" shooting Crutcher. On May 17, 2017, a jury found Betty Shelby not guilty. The Department of Justice later determined that no civil rights charge would be filed against any individual involved
Shooting of Terence Crutcher - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Acknowledging the Tulsa massacre isn't enough. There must be legal culpability.
Survivors of the Tulsa massacre deserve a day in court, not just symbolic justice
Justice is timeless — or at least it should be when government commits the most egregious atrocities against its own citizens. I learned this most poignantly as a young lawyer representing survivors of the 1921 Tulsa race massacre.

One hundred years ago this week, one of the nation's most prosperous Black communities — the Greenwood district of Tulsa — was destroyed by a White mob in less than 24 hours. This mob killed some 300 African Americans, left more than 10,000 homeless and burned to the ground the entire area known as Black Wall Street. Black Tulsans experienced a horrific wrath and loss of generational wealth. To this day, Greenwood has not fully recovered.

There was no viable pursuit of justice for Black Americans at that time. The Ku Klux Klan had infiltrated every facet of local government, and lynchings were regularly used to terrorize and intimidate Black citizens.

Days after the massacre, Black lawyer B.C. Franklin, father of renowned historian John Hope Franklin, set up a makeshift law office in a tent amid Greenwood's rubble. Armed with his typewriter and law books, working with a colleague and a legal secretary, Franklin filed insurance claims on behalf of Black Tulsans for property loss and damage. But state and local officials and white-run newspapers initially deemed the massacre a "race riot," for which Black residents were responsible, so Franklin's courageous efforts at recoupment were unsuccessful.

To this day, not a single criminal act has been prosecuted for murder, theft, arson or assault in the Tulsa massacre. City and state officials hid evidence and destroyed information. Victims were buried in unmarked graves. Talk of the destruction was squelched, and Oklahoma's history books excluded it. The coverup was so extensive that even Tulsa's mayor in 1996 said she had not heard of the 1921 massacre until she was an adult.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Discussed by who? The only two people who would what happened back in that elevator wouldn't discuss it. That's why the charges were dismissed.

Sarah Page declined to prosecute. The story that came out was that Dirk tripped as he was leaving the elevator and in falling, grabbed for something to keep him from falling and ended up grabbing Sarah's arm. She screamed in surprize. In the newspaper, they took that as an "attack" and each retelling made it worse.

Saran Page declined to prosecute. Even if she had pressed charges, there was no reason to try and lynch Dirk, or to destroy a whole neighborhood of about 35 blocks.

Planes were rare in those days, and even military planes were used mainly for reconnaissance. It's an anachronism, really. Planes dropping bombs to attack cities didn't really become part of military doctrine until World War II. So I'm going to call horsepuckies on this one, and it seems as though I'm in fairly good company. From the Oklahoma Commission Report via Wikipedia:

"Richard S. Warner concluded in his submission to The Oklahoma Commission that contrary to later reports by claimed eyewitnesses of seeing explosions, there was no reliable evidence to support such attacks. Warner noted that while a number of newspapers targeted at Black readers heavily reported the use of nitroglycerin, turpentine and rifles from the planes, many cited anonymous sources or second-hand accounts. Beryl Ford, one of the pre-eminent historians of the disaster, concluded from his large collection of photographs that there was no evidence of any building damaged by explosions."

The Commission wasn't biased at all. (rolling eyes) The Commission had a great deal of discord.

Tulsa race massacre - Wikipedia

Numerous eyewitnesses described airplanes carrying White assailants, who fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes, and fleeing families. The privately owned aircraft had been dispatched from the nearby Curtiss-Southwest Field outside Tulsa.[69] Law enforcement officials later said that the planes were to provide reconnaissance and protect against a "Negro uprising".[69] Law enforcement personnel were thought to be aboard at least some flights.[70] Eyewitness accounts, such as testimony from the survivors during Commission hearings and a manuscript by eyewitness and attorney Buck Colbert Franklin, discovered in 2015, said that on the morning of June 1, at least "a dozen or more" planes circled the neighborhood and dropped "burning turpentine balls" on an office building, a hotel, a filling station and multiple other buildings. Men also fired rifles at Black residents, gunning them down in the street.[[[Wikipedia:Citing_sources|page needed]]]_71-0" class="reference" style="line-height: 1; unicode-bidi: isolate; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 11.2px; color: rgb(32, 33, 34); font-family: sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">[71][69]
.... State representative Don Ross (born in Tulsa in 1941), however, dissented from the evidence presented in the report concluding that bombs were in fact dropped from planes during the violence.[75]

Missing people can't be assumed dead. Plenty of people left the city after the riot, never to return. Yes, after months of searching, a mass grave containing twelve coffins was apparently found in a Tulsa cemetery a few days ago. This has yet to be connected to the riot - just as likely the people buried there died in the 1918 influenza pandemic, and even if it were, it still would point to a body count of anywhere near 300.
Many fled for their lives. There hasn't been an exhumation order for other places

Indeed, and so did the black mob. This was not just a white mob attacking a passive black population.
There was no "black mob" - only in the accounts given by folks like KKK members.
Some armed, black WWI vets went to the courthouse to protect Dirk from a white lynch mob. That white mob, also armed, pushed the vets back, they retreated to Greenwood and the white mob destroyed homes and business of people who were not part of a mob, they were just at home or work.

The sheriff prevented the mob from lynching Roland. The Oklahoma National Guard came to the city and restored order. Yet by some curious logic, that is "nothing"....
NO, the sheriff could not stop the mob. The mob moved from lynching Dirk to attacking the black WWI vets and then to Greenwood.

I had. Then again, I have a greater interest in history most.

That is a "if I don't say so myself" statement- uh huh

The Tulsa massacre was downplayed and silenced because Tulsa was a power in the oil business and city leaders thought it made the city look bad. After the Oklahoma bombing, reporters rediscovered the story.

But the truth will out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Par for the course ....equating the Wall Street Bombing of 1920 with the decimation of an entire Black community one year later.

And from the article on the Wall Street bombing of1920:

The Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation interrogated thousands of people and arrested many radicals, but no one was charged with the crime, and the investigation was dropped in 1940.
One fellow was deported though they could not prove he was involved.

It wasn't silenced. They investigated for 20 years. If New York wants a memorial, they need to be the ones to put it up.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Tom Hanks is an absolute American treasure. His point should not be lost, imagine a Germany where they only learned that it was responsible for the Holocaust, that was bad, but we don't need to go into the details.

You Should Learn the Truth About the Tulsa Race Massacre
I consider myself a lay historian who talks way too much at dinner parties, leading with questions like, "Do you know that the Erie Canal is the reason Manhattan became the economic center of America?" Some of the work I do is making historically based entertainment. Did you know our second president once defended in court British soldiers who fired on and killed colonial Bostonians — and got most of them off?

By my recollection, four years of my education included studying American history. Fifth and eighth grades, two semesters in high school, three quarters at a community college. Since then, I've read history for pleasure and watched documentary films as a first option. Many of those works and those textbooks were about white people and white history. The few Black figures — Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. — were those who accomplished much in spite of slavery, segregation and institutional injustices in American society.

But for all my study, I never read a page of any school history book about how, in 1921, a mob of white people burned down a place called Black Wall Street, killed as many as 300 of its Black citizens and displaced thousands of Black Americans who lived in Tulsa, Okla.

My experience was common: History was mostly written by white people about white people like me, while the history of Black people — including the horrors of Tulsa — was too often left out. Until relatively recently, the entertainment industry, which helps shape what is history and what is forgotten, did the same. That includes projects of mine. I knew about the attack on Fort Sumter, Custer's last stand and Pearl Harbor but did not know of the Tulsa massacre until last year, thanks to an article in The New York Times.

Slocum massacre of Black residents in Texas by an all-white mob in 1910 or the Red Summer of white supremacist terrorism in 1919. Many students like me were told that the lynching of Black Americans was tragic but not that these public murders were commonplace and often lauded by local papers and law enforcement.

For a white kid living in the white neighborhoods of Oakland, Calif., my city in the 1960s and '70s looked integrated and diverse but often felt tense and polarized, as was evident on many an AC Transit bus. The division between white America and Black America seemed to be as solid as any international boundary even in one of the most integrated cities in the nation. Bret Harte Junior High and Skyline High School had Asian, Latino and Black students, but those schools were mostly white. This did not seem to be the case in the other public high schools in town.

We had lessons on the Emancipation Proclamation, the Ku Klux Klan, Rosa Parks's daring heroism and her common decency and even the death of Crispus Attucks in the Boston Massacre. Parts of American cities had been aflame at points since the Watts riots in 1965, and Oakland was the home of the Black Panthers and the Vietnam War-era draftee induction center, so history was playing out before our very eyes, in our hometown. The issues were myriad, the solutions theoretical, the lessons few, the headlines continuous.

The truth about Tulsa, and the repeated violence by some white Americans against Black Americans, was systematically ignored, perhaps because it was regarded as too honest, too painful a lesson for our young white ears. So, our predominantly white schools didn't teach it, our mass appeal works of historical fiction didn't enlighten us, and my chosen industry didn't take on the subject in films and shows until recently. It seems white educators and school administrators (if they even knew of the Tulsa massacre, for some surely did not) omitted the volatile subject for the sake of the status quo, placing white feelings over Black experience — literally Black lives in this case.

How different would perspectives be had we all been taught about Tulsa in 1921, even as early as the fifth grade? Today, I find the omission tragic, an opportunity missed, a teachable moment squandered. When people hear about systemic racism in America, just the use of those words draws the ire of those white people who insist that since July 4, 1776, we have all been free, we were all created equally, that any American can become president and catch a cab in Midtown Manhattan no matter the color of our skin, that, yes, American progress toward justice for all can be slow but remains relentless. Tell that to the century-old survivors of Tulsa and their offspring. And teach the truth to the white descendants of those in the mob that destroyed Black Wall Street.

Today, I think historically based fiction entertainment must portray the burden of racism in our nation for the sake of the art form's claims to verisimilitude and authenticity. Until recently, the Tulsa Race Massacre was not seen in movies and TV shows. Thanks to several projects currently streaming, like "Watchmen" and "Lovecraft Country," this is no longer the case. Like other historical documents that map our cultural DNA, they will reflect who we really are and help determine what is our full history, what we must remember.

Should our schools now teach the truth about Tulsa? Yes, and they should also stop the battle to whitewash curriculums to avoid discomfort for students. America's history is messy but knowing that makes us a wiser and stronger people. 1921 is the truth, a portal to our shared, paradoxical history. An American Black Wall Street was not allowed to exist, was burned to ashes; more than 20 years later, World War II was won despite institutionalized racial segregation; more than 20 years after that, the Apollo missions put 12 men on the moon while others were struggling to vote, and the publishing of the Pentagon Papers showed the extent of our elected officials' willingness to systemically lie to us. Each of these lessons chronicles our quest to live up to the promise of our land, to tell truths that, in America, are meant to be held as self-evident.​

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Saran Page declined to prosecute. Even if she had pressed charges, there was no reason to try and lynch Dirk, or to destroy a whole neighborhood of about 35 blocks.

Nobody suggested that there was. What actually did happen in Tulsa was bad enough, without the omissions, distortions and fabrications designed to smear the white population of the city at the time, especially the authorities who, considering the difficult situation they were in, handled it remarkably well.

The Commission wasn't biased at all. (rolling eyes) The Commission had a great deal of discord.

Biased doesn't mean wrong, and the Commission was certainly more objective than the accounts coming out today. Nobody here has cited any evidence other than eyewitness reports, many of which were either anonymous or hearsay.

There was no "black mob" - only in the accounts given by folks like KKK members.
Some armed, black WWI vets went to the courthouse to protect Dirk from a white lynch mob.

That's a black mob. Their presence at the courthouse, like that of the white mob, was neither wanted nor needed. The sheriff gave his assurance that he would not allow Rowland to be lynched, a promise he kept, and warned them that confrontation with the white mob was a bad idea, and that they should go home.

Also, National Guard troops reported black snipers firing on them when they came to restore order to the city.

All throughout this thread I've been accused of "defending" this riot - but I'm not the one making excuses for mob violence here...

That white mob, also armed, pushed the vets back, they retreated to Greenwood and the white mob destroyed homes and business of people who were not part of a mob, they were just at home or work.

You neglected to mention the bloody gun battle at the courthouse in which twelve men died, and it's still not known who fired the first shot. The black mob shares responsibility for the carnage that ensued. Had they heeded the sheriff's warnings, Tulsa would probably not have burned. The white mob's attack on Greenwood was more about revenge for those of their number that were killed in the shootout than it was about Sarah Page.

NO, the sheriff could not stop the mob.

The mob was kept out of the courthouse; the sheriff ordered that any intruders would be shot on sight. That's stopping the mob.

The mob moved from lynching Dirk to attacking the black WWI vets and then to Greenwood.

....at which point the governor declared martial law in Tulsa and sent in the National Guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Nobody suggested that there was. What actually did happen in Tulsa was bad enough, without the omissions, distortions and fabrications designed to smear the white population of the city at the time, especially the authorities who, considering the difficult situation they were in, handled it remarkably well.
This is just as bad as Holocaust denialism.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Wait...white people were smeared after a forty-square block of a black neighborhood got demolished?

Oh, the poor dears, however did they survive?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is just as bad as Holocaust denialism.

No it's not.

I've seen no accounts that suggest that the event was planned. It was a spontaneous outburst of violence by racist people.

Let's not compare it to a meticulously orchestrated industrialized extermination of an entire people.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a black mob. Their presence at the courthouse, like that of the white mob, was neither wanted nor needed. The sheriff gave his assurance that he would not allow Rowland to be lynched, a promise he kept, and warned them that confrontation with the white mob was a bad idea, and that they should go home.

There was no "black mob". There were black WWI vets who came to prevent the lynching of a young black man. They had reason to be concerned.

Lynching | The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture

After 1907 statehood, however, lynching entered a more racist phase. The numbers actually declined, but the victims were almost exclusively black. In this period lynching reinforced an existing social order that deprived blacks of political and economic rights and segregated them. The state constitution enshrined Jim Crow, and forty-one persons were lynched by 1930. Most of these incidents occurred from 1908 to 1916. Murder, complicity in murder, rape, and attempted rape became the main offenses, attributed primarily to black males accused of assaulting whites. During World War I two blacks were lynched for rape and attempted rape. A resurgence came during the Red Scare of 1919–20 when seven victims (one white) expired. In 1930 Oklahoma's last recorded lynching occurred in Chickasha. At the end of the lynching era, Oklahoma ranked number thirteen in total number of dead, surpassed only by Deep South and Border South states and Texas.​

There were 25 black armed WWI vets that had come to offer their help in keeping Dirk from beinglynched. That is who the sheriff turned away. After they were gone, some of the white mob tried breaking into the National armory nearby. Then a group of 75 black men came back to defend Dirk anyway against about 1500 white men there already.

After shots were fired, some of the whites were deputized and armed if they were not already and then atrochities against Greenwood occurred.

Highly guilty in all of this was the local newspaper that made it out like Dirk attacked or raped Sarah. Also guilty was the racism of the time. Also guilty are the white men wanting to lynch a young man, skipping due process and trying to take the law in their own hands. The white mob is guilty of utterly destroying a neighborhood where children were. Local firefighters were threatened by white rioters so had to leave

And the police arrested many black men, no white men. hmmmm

All throughout this thread I've been accused of "defending" this riot - but I'm not the one making excuses for mob violence here...
I disagree with you there.

You neglected to mention the bloody gun battle at the courthouse in which twelve men died, and it's still not known who fired the first shot. The black mob shares responsibility for the carnage that ensued. Had they heeded the sheriff's warnings, Tulsa would probably not have burned. The white mob's attack on Greenwood was more about revenge for those of their number killed in that were killed in the shootout than it was about Sarah Page.

I think that is.... I will say incorrect. The white mob was set on lynching the young black men. The sheriff turned away the help of the first group of WWI Vets that came. The white mob continued to grow. One sheriff and a few deputies were going to hold off 1500ish? un huh.

The white mob had driven the black men back toward Greenwood. And then committed a great deal of violence.

It was not Dirk's fault, it was not the fault of the black men who tried to keep him from being lynched.
It IS the fault of the white mob who felt they could lynch a black man outside the law, as was done too many times in the south and in Oklahoma, and then turn their rage on the population of Greenwood.
And the state and local government knew it. The Tulsa Tribune removed their front pages from the bound archives and archived data from the police and national guard related to the riot was also removed.
Btw, the National Guard did not show up until it was basically over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Oklahoma doesn't have to confront its bloody past if it doesn't wanna.

'Let's not tie it to skin color': Oklahoma superintendent says racism not to blame for infamous Tulsa massacre

[T]hings got tricky for Walters when someone asked him if teaching about the infamous "Black Wall Street" massacre in the city of Tulsa would be banned under his restrictions on teaching "Critical Race Theory."

"Let’s not tie it to the skin color and say that the skin color determined that," Walters replied.

He has also come under fire after a state audit revealed massive amounts of waste and fraud in a homeschooling program he ran with taxpayer funding when he worked as a nonprofit director

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oklahoma doesn't have to confront its bloody past if it doesn't wanna.

'Let's not tie it to skin color': Oklahoma superintendent says racism not to blame for infamous Tulsa massacre

[T]hings got tricky for Walters when someone asked him if teaching about the infamous "Black Wall Street" massacre in the city of Tulsa would be banned under his restrictions on teaching "Critical Race Theory."

"Let’s not tie it to the skin color and say that the skin color determined that," Walters replied.

He has also come under fire after a state audit revealed massive amounts of waste and fraud in a homeschooling program he ran with taxpayer funding when he worked as a nonprofit director

Good man...why beat a dead horse?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most people calling for a teaching of the Tulsa race riot don't actually know anything about it.

That's all the more reason to ensure it's taught.

Upvote 0