Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: SepiaAndDust
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The email could have been more clear.
It does not matter how clear an email is if it is not read. The mother admitted not reading it.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It does not matter how clear an email is if it is not read. The mother admitted not reading it.
Ah another one of those parents whose totally all about their kids education, up until they are asked to the do the smallest thing.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lots of people in your grandparents generation never made it to adulthood.

Why is it that anyone surviving is evidence of safety for 'natural' products while just one illness is evidence for the dangers of anything not 'natural'?

It's safe....unless you're allergic to it. Poison ivy is natural, why isn't that "safe because it's natural"? Because "safe because it's natural" is hooey-woo. Natural does not mean safe.

Henna may be safe because it's generally benign, but not simply because it's "natural". Heck, sickness, death and decay are natural.

The Beloved is scent sensitive, and there were some women at her workplace that doused themselves daily with essential oils. After going to the ER one time more than she was going to put up with, she told her boss that the workplace was going to have to be scent-free. Her boss looked into it and determined that the essential oils were all natural, so they were safe. That was shot down pretty quickly (mostly on the idea that hemlock and nightshade in your tea would be bad), and the workplace did adopt a scent-free policy, but there's still this crazy idea that natural = safe. I blame advertising.

Ten seconds of thinking about it would show pretty conclusively that natural can kill you dead.

You guys keep missing the point, but whatever. Black Henna and Natural Henna are two separate things, and most are going to have reactions to the black henna and not the natural henna.

S&D, in moderation, those oils probably would've been fine. I've not met one person who knows how to properly use them for aromatherapy, on the body or otherwise. :(

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You guys keep missing the point, but whatever. Black Henna and Natural Henna are two separate things, and most are going to have reactions to the black henna and not the natural henna.

S&D, in moderation, those oils probably would've been fine. I've not met one person who knows how to properly use them for aromatherapy, on the body or otherwise. :(

We can only respond to what you say and you said Henna is safe because it is natural. You did not say natural henna is generally safe. Peanuts are generally safe.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Used in moderation, those oils would put her in the hospital again. That's like telling someone with a food allergy that just a little bit won't hurt them. Unless, of course, in moderation means using it at home but removing all trace of the scent from their person before going out to mingle with the public. That would be OK.

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
We can only respond to what you say and you said Henna is safe because it is natural. You did not say natural henna is generally safe. Peanuts are generally safe.
Nothing is safe, period. You can kill yourself by drinking too much water.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Nothing is safe, period. You can kill yourself by drinking too much water.

Add on oxygen. At about 2 atmospheres pressure pure oxygen is deadly. I used to SCUBA dive and yes I did one dive that was deep enough that nitrogen narcosis was a very real consideration.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AFAIK, real, natural henna takes about a day until it reaches it's full colour. It's the henna with additives that gives immediate results, but sort of peters out after that. it was created for tourists, to produce immediate results, because they want to see a nice looking henna picture right after they get it done.

That's interesting. And unfortunate. Yeah the henna tattoo I got when I was six was at one of those fairs they just put up in September for a few weeks & then take down. It's probably harder to regulate. This happened in 2005 so ppl weren't using Yelp to check out everything 1st way back then. Well I wonder what kinda of henna was used with the family in the OP. I haven't gone back & read the article again. Cause most little kids want instant gratification with stuff like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Used in moderation, those oils would put her in the hospital again. That's like telling someone with a food allergy that just a little bit won't hurt them. Unless, of course, in moderation means using it at home but removing all trace of the scent from their person before going out to mingle with the public. That would be OK.
It's interesting that most tattoo parlors dealing in permanent ink positively welcome regulation.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what that has to do with my comment.
You were I think talking about the compositions of inks and substances used in coloring the skin; and this is something that parlors tend to give attention to; I guess my comment was a general one.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You were I think talking about the compositions of inks and substances used in coloring the skin; and this is something that parlors tend to give attention to; I guess my comment was a general one.

Ah. No, I was referring to scents, particularly the essential oils used in aromatherapy.

I've been to two tattoo parlors in the past ten years, and both seemed really conscientious about their equipment and ink.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah. No, I was referring to scents, particularly the essential oils used in aromatherapy.

I've been to two tattoo parlors in the past ten years, and both seemed really conscientious about their equipment and ink.

Oh okay. Yes, generally speaking this is very true. Many parlors these days are more like salons than similar to the image of dingy backstreet establishments where sailors went to, generations back. In recent years the quality of inks has improved greatly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums