Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No I don't have any objections to the tattoos themselves but lots of kids don't know if they're gonna have a reaction to it. I got mine done at a fair & I think they were using cheap ink or something.

Lol I was like 6 so it wasn't a gateway to a real tattoo.
I know some moms and dads might seem to be horrified, disappointed, etc. if a teen hints that after 18 s/he might get a tattoo, but then these days it's what so many seem to do, right?
Like, Christians often get a faith based one.
Although I don't think they should ever feel it's either necessary or be pressured to go have it done.
You're right about cheap inks being an issue, either with henna or real, needle ones. The quality of inks has improved a lot, though.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know some moms and dads might seem to be horrified, disappointed, etc. if a teen hints that after 18 s/he might get a tattoo, but then these days it's what so many seem to do, right?
Like, Christians often get a faith based one.
Although I don't think they should ever feel it's either necessary or be pressured to go have it done.
You're right about cheap inks being an issue, either with henna or real, needle ones. The quality of inks has improved a lot, though.

Well I don't know that many ppl w tattooes but to each her own ya know.

The henna tattoo wasn't like a real tattoo at all. It was just flowers but all in black ink. They didn't even do a good job w it & it itched.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The henna tattoo wasn't like a real tattoo at all. It was just flowers but all in black ink. They didn't even do a good job w it & it itched.
Both for henna and for real needle ones, simple black is a popular color. Especially for tribals.

Henna ones are done any time, it seems, right? (although the parent in the story somehow thought that this time of the year was a no-no for henna...) Real ink ones are also done any time but especially as a rite of passage at 18, right?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Never use black henna.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If one isn't German, that would be cultural appropriation.
I think that the Nazis put swastikas just about everywhere EXCEPT their foreheads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you didn't bother to really read what the mom said. The school did this going into Christmas so the tattoos on the kids hands are there during all their Christmas photos!

One also has to wonder why the hands? The demographic that comes to mind for tats on hands is gangs!

It is like the school went out of the way to be stupid.

Hands are where the Henna traditionally goes:

5f8a78199ebb759e23f9d4b41a3904f2.jpg

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we used to rent a church for our sunday service that was built around the time of the change from 19th to the 20th century and they had a lot of different symbols in the tiles that made up the floor and some of them were swastikas. We were using the building for a few months before anyone noticed them. It was interesting reading about where the symbol came from and how long people had been using it before the 1930's. :wave:
tulc(also agree's with the "don't use black henna" idea http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/skin/Pages/black-henna-tattoo-ppd.aspx ) :eek:

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's annoying for the mom, but I saw this on the local news, and the mom seemed more upset about what people would think of HER than her daughter.

"It's outrageous, especially right before Christmas time. We've got dinners and social activities..." (Not her exact words, but she seemed to be fretting about it).

The story, however, conveniently neglected to mentioned that these are temporary. There are some health hazards, however.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah we found out about that from the doctor when I had my bad reaction. I was little then & got it done at this fair. It wasn't even pretty.
I guess if you ever get it done again, you'll do it in another color, right?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. :wave:
tulc(thanks you for the link!) ;)
YW. :)

So I think maybe the issue is more the ingredient rather than the color black. Some tribal tattoo designs are very effective in simple black color, in bold, rugged lines, right?

But in terms of the ink ingredients, I saw a video about how inks have greatly improved in recent years.

Upvote 0