Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...also agree's with the "don't use black henna" idea
So the don't use black idea is really not about the color at all, but about the usual chemical content, right? (and more applying to temp. rather than permanent).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess if you ever get it done again, you'll do it in another color, right?

Don't think I'll ever get it done cause of the problems I had with it when I was little. Plus really it was only pretty the day it was done. Then it got kinda ugly but was still on my hands. No bueno.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Don't think I'll ever get it done cause of the problems I had with it when I was little. Plus really it was only pretty the day it was done. Then it got kinda ugly but was still on my hands. No bueno.
AFAIK, real, natural henna takes about a day until it reaches it's full colour. It's the henna with additives that gives immediate results, but sort of peters out after that. it was created for tourists, to produce immediate results, because they want to see a nice looking henna picture right after they get it done.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regarding black itself, it's not the color, but the composition of the ink, henna or permanent, that is the issue. Indeed, it's been said that 'tattoos with no black or no outline are frowned upon by seasoned tattoo artists' https://hubtattoo.com/the-biology-of-a-healing-tattoo/

Also, henna tattoos are used therapeutically to help cancer patients to cope with hair loss; not unusually, black is a significant element:

gUJHqF1.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/25a61f/elegant_henna_tattoo_crowns_help_cancer_patients/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
AFAIK, real, natural henna takes about a day until it reaches it's full colour. It's the henna with additives that gives immediate results, but sort of peters out after that. it was created for tourists, to produce immediate results, because they want to see a nice looking henna picture right after they get it done.
So the 'authentic' henna has other compositions, then, different from the sort for tourists?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So the 'authentic' henna has other compositions, then, different from the sort for tourists?
It has the same basic composition (extracted from the henna plant), but other chemicals are added. For example, black henna is created by adding p- phenylenediamine, and THAT can cause very harsh allergic reactions. I can't list every example, but the basic principle is: Give the tourists instant gratification, and don't care about the consequences, because if there are problems, the tourists won't come back to complain.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has the same basic composition (extracted from the henna plant), but other chemicals are added. For example, black henna is created by adding p- phenylenediamine, and THAT can cause very harsh allergic reactions. I can't list every example, but the basic principle is: Give the tourists instant gratification, and don't care about the consequences, because if there are problems, the tourists won't come back to complain.
I see; I understand what you're saying!

So I guess this would also apply to needle ink tattoo parlors: because the skin is broken, parlors are easier to regulate (and indeed most parlors with responsible tattoo artists positively welcome regulation), whereas temporary henna artistry would be inherently harder to regulate, right?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay; so you probably won't have the henna variety done again in any case; and as for the other, needle ink variety of tattoo I reckon that any decision about this would still be way down the road, right? if it's even ever considered.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh okay; so you probably won't have the henna variety done again in any case; and as for the other, needle ink variety of tattoo I reckon that any decision about this would still be way down the road, right? if it's even ever considered.

I'll never get a tattoo. I don't have anything against them. I just am not interested in having one myself. Besides I change my mind too much about stuff so putting something on my body forever would be a really stupid idea for me. I change my favorite color, favorite everything all the time, lol.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see the big deal. Don't like the henna on the kids hands put Christmas gloves on them. Or next time look up the word on the internet or call the school. If you don't under stand something. This is totally the parents fault. I'm glad schools are still discussing the religious stuff people do. Around the holidays. I thought that was gone.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I can certainly understand women who are in the situation of cancer patients, with the hair loss resulting from cancer treatment, wanting to do this.

The bottom picture seems to show how if it's done rather fully it can lead into a shoulder tattoo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh good grief, I can't believe you people. NATURAL HENNA IS FINE. HENNA WITH THINGS ADDED IN IS NOT.

Is that clear enough? I'm not talking about poison ivy, I'm not talking about anything else but natural henna. Natural henna is safe because it's natural. Henna with chemicals added in is no longer natural.
It's safe....unless you're allergic to it. Poison ivy is natural, why isn't that "safe because it's natural"? Because "safe because it's natural" is hooey-woo. Natural does not mean safe.

Henna may be safe because it's generally benign, but not simply because it's "natural". Heck, sickness, death and decay are natural.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see; I understand what you're saying!

So I guess this would also apply to needle ink tattoo parlors: because the skin is broken, parlors are easier to regulate (and indeed most parlors with responsible tattoo artists positively welcome regulation), whereas temporary henna artistry would be inherently harder to regulate, right?
In New York State, tattoo parlors are currently not regulated :eek: but it is in New York City

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's safe....unless you're allergic to it. Poison ivy is natural, why isn't that "safe because it's natural"? Because "safe because it's natural" is hooey-woo. Natural does not mean safe.

Henna may be safe because it's generally benign, but not simply because it's "natural". Heck, sickness, death and decay are natural.

The Beloved is scent sensitive, and there were some women at her workplace that doused themselves daily with essential oils. After going to the ER one time more than she was going to put up with, she told her boss that the workplace was going to have to be scent-free. Her boss looked into it and determined that the essential oils were all natural, so they were safe. That was shot down pretty quickly (mostly on the idea that hemlock and nightshade in your tea would be bad), and the workplace did adopt a scent-free policy, but there's still this crazy idea that natural = safe. I blame advertising.

Ten seconds of thinking about it would show pretty conclusively that natural can kill you dead.

Upvote 0