USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would only recommend that if you like playing golf. That game is incredibly boring otherwise. *pictures bella in a 1950s dress lining up a club for a swing*

I love the game. I dated an aspiring pro and my daughter was a competitive golfer. My grandfather taught my father and he'd drag me around the course with him.

That dress would only work if you're riding in the cart and cheering him on!

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Just injecting some positive energy into this thread.

Here is a nice music video called Miracles Happen, when you believe! Great energy to it.
Nothing is impossible with God!

This other nice music video encourages you to make that approach and talk to the girl.

Well, at least they make you feel better at least when you watch them.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,013.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am watching a bunch of music videos with female vocalists becuse I am feeling like @DragonFox91. When you are hungry for a girl watching a nice lady sing to you on a screen is just hot. I could not watch tv.
A vocalist... hm, obviously a good mother to children, a good and faithful wife an surely not a high maintenance. No parties, no alcohol, no drugs.. and she will stay young for a long time. And she looks great without makup. And a Christian, of course, living the life of celibacy until marriage. Not argumentative and not too emancipated. Able to be strictly monogamous, even with tons of male fans. She does not need constant public validation, family life is enough for her. Oh and I am pretty sure she has the same philosophical, political or theological opinions as you. :)

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Juan777
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, at least they make you feel better at least when you watch them.

Music can be calming. But your previous comment on vocalists brought a passage to mind from Ecclesiasticus.

Use not much the company of a woman that is a singer, lest thou be taken with her attempts.

Kind of strange eh? Not really if you're familiar with greek mythology.

In Greek mythology, the sirens were dangerous creatures who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and singing voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.

Their voices were seductive and enticing. You can see the correlation in the music industry. If you look at the lyrics in most songs you’ll find they’re saying more than you realize. The melody and singing distracts the mind from what is said. Most of it is licentious, anti-christian, and intemperate. Not the sort of things you’d want to invoke in your life.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Your mouth is like a wand—the instrument—and words are like a spell. You can empower, uplift, inspire, praise, and cheer, or seduce, tear down, destroy, curse, and blaspheme. The ‘magic’ is the result of our intentions.

If viewed with that in mind we’d be more discriminating with our speech and what we hear. Because the same holds true. What we absorb can have a similar effect. Hence the warning.

Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Riley Clemmons is a good Christian vocalist.

Again there are two issues in argument.

First, I may have referenced what I listened to at the moment but does not reflect what I am always tuning into. I thought it was out of character to watch allot of the videos at once and that usually happens if there is a shift of mood. Figured I was lonely and wanted to be more honest and vulnerable on this thread as to how I am coping with this.
So there is no intent to encourage this at all. Its just to express how loneliness can inform viewing choices that reflect how bad the lonliness is.

Secondly, I was watching some documentary. Perhaps it was boring and the music videos were more entertaining to watch at that moment. If I was not lonely then I probably would have watched the documentary instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Figured I was lonely and wanted to be more honest and vulnerable on this thread as to how I am coping with this. So there is no intent to encourage this at all. Its just to express how loneliness can inform viewing choices that reflect how bad the lonliness is.

Coping mechanisms are important and I'm glad you shared. :)

That allows others to chime in and do the same. Maybe they'll mention something you haven't considered or an approach that edifies someone needs to hear. It's all good.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's simple 'economics', of a certain kind: single women (past a certain age) are relatively rare to find compared with single men, hence the few that there are will have more choices in partners than their male counterparts, who are more numerous. You'd have to wait until they're too old to be conventionally attractive anymore for that to start evening out, and by then the women who are single are likely to have plenty of good reason to stay that way, as having ~4+ decades of being played around with by men (and losing out on their prime years for marriage/attracting more quality partners, in the process) who wanted to live the playboy lifestyle is unlikely to make them all that receptive to getting into a long term relationship with one by a certain point in life, and women cope with singleness much better than men usually do. I think this is what leads to the stereotype employed by men that all women who are single past a certain age are bitter and crazy 'cat ladies' or whatever...but anyway, that's how it seems to shake out. We men are largely replaceable in this scheme, but I don't think that's really most women's 'fault' (as I don't know any who don't want to find their Mr. Right or whatever by at least by a certain age -- same as men with regard to the 'right' woman). To hear the women I've known talk about it, it's a rather understandable outgrowth of being the obsessive focus of male attention since the age of 13 or perhaps even earlier...after a few years/decades of that, I have to imagine it becomes second nature (as well as a matter of necessity) to be very, very selective. Realistically, you can't give everyone a chance during those years when it seems like 'everyone' really does include everyone!

Hence men remain single (and tend to grow increasingly bitter ourselves as we age...*cough*), while fewer and fewer available women cross our paths. Not sure what to do about this, really. Even if I could wave some kind of magic wand and transform society into one in which things seem more equitable, it's a bit late for me personally, and at any rate I don't want to have my life revolve around what some woman I don't know would find attractive.

I'm not out here to just attract somebody/anybody because otherwise I'll be alone -- I've been alone, so I know it won't break me, just like how I've been not-alone, so I know it won't complete me. Neither of these states of being scare me (anymore...haha).

I've got a decade on the OP, so maybe this is just the sort of thing that comes with experience, but by this point in my life things generally fall into two categories: (1) things I want to do for my own sake, which may or may not line up with what anyone else cares about or would want some hypothetical partner to do (i.e., learning the specific skills and attitude that I feel I should learn to make myself a better, more well-rounded person according to my own metric, not theirs), or (2) things I should really be doing even if I don't necessarily feel great about them all the time, because I don't want to die in my 40s and/or waste my life (e.g., properly balanced diet and exercise, properly balanced spiritual and ascetical life, etc. These things don't always 'feel good', to be honest, but I know they are good for me in the long run, and I'll only be hurting myself if I neglect them while I'm still here to do something about them). (1) is just a self-centered subset of (2), and I'm hoping that as I age, if the good Lord grants me the time to do so, I'll have more and more things that I would've looked at as category (1) things as a younger man come to be fulfilled as category (2) things, as part of submitting my will to His. (Notice how a woman isn't a necessary part of this unless He decides she is.)

Maybe someone here will think this is self-centered, but my ideal would be to date and/or marry somebody that looks similar to what I want and also has a better personality. Those with both at the same time seem to be short-supply. :worried:

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe someone here will think this is self-centered, but my ideal would be to date and/or marry somebody that looks similar to what I want and also has a better personality. Those with both at the same time seem to be short-supply. :worried:

You're welcome to like whatever appeals. If you restrict yourself to a certain type it has no bearing on anyone else. You get the consequences of your selectivity. Hopefully they feel the same. If your ideal is in short supply you'd better be their type or have a plan b. You could be waiting a long time or end up alone.

I wouldn't take that course unless I had a lengthy record of attracting my preference and moving beyond the first stage. That typically occurs when you embody their ideal. They don't have to convince themselves to talk to you or give you a chance. If they see you across the room there's something about you that draws them in.

The process of finding a spouse is similar to applying to college. You have your dream school, reach, maybes and safeties. You don't put all your cards in the first two unless you meet the criteria. The probability of acceptance is small. You invest more energy in the latter ones. The goal is obtaining a yes. Not coming away empty-handed.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're welcome to like whatever appeals. If you restrict yourself to a certain type it has no bearing on anyone else. You get the consequences of your selectivity. Hopefully they feel the same. If your ideal is in short supply you'd better be their type or have a plan b. You could be waiting a long time or end up alone.

I wouldn't take that course unless I had a lengthy record of attracting my preference and moving beyond the first stage. That typically occurs when you embody their ideal. They don't have to convince themselves to talk to you or give you a chance. If they see you across the room there's something about you that draws them in.

The process of finding a spouse is similar to applying to college. You have your dream school, reach, maybes and safeties. You don't put all your cards in the first two unless you meet the criteria. The probability of acceptance is small. You invest more energy in the latter ones. The goal is obtaining a yes. Not coming away empty-handed.

I'm not sure if I passed this along, Bella, but there's this woman that put out a book called "Marry Him! The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough" You can find it on amazon, but there's brief video here that kind of is a condensed version.

She makes a case that women really aren't keeping an eye out for what really matters when looking for a relationship. That maybe they should give that old college guy that's pining after her that she friend zoned a shot even though he's got a receding hairline and not quite 6 feet tall and is just a basic accountant or school teacher.

The intro video taken from a movie (yes, it's just a movie), but it's art imitates life kind of situation. Woman goes on and on about what she's looking for.

I've seen my share of frustrated, women matchmakers that get upset with women clients because the men she finds for them aren't good enough to warrant a coffee meet, even though she finds a guy that ALMOST meets her boxes. But, almost doesn't cut it for her.

Like you said, these women are better off opting out if this is the case.
But I can hope you take a look at what Gottleib has to say. :)

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure if I passed this along, Bella, but there's this woman that put out a book called "Marry Him! The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough"

I'm familiar with the book. I read it a few years ago. :)

3C045939-1965-42E2-8DDD-B7C19F09A077.jpeg

I've seen my share of frustrated, women matchmakers that get upset with women clients because the men she finds for them aren't good enough to warrant a coffee meet, even though she finds a guy that ALMOST meets her boxes. But, almost doesn't cut it for her.

There's an increasing disconnection from reality in different spheres of life. But especially in mating. I hear things that disturb me. The quest for perfection is ever growing and the majority have never encountered it personally. It's the result of an image, video, or figment of their imagination.

We're going to have a lot of lonely people growing old without anyone. They're squandering their time and they'll regret it later on.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm familiar with the book. I read it a few years ago. :)

View attachment 317665

There's an increasing disconnection from reality in different spheres of life. But especially in mating. I hear things that disturb me. The quest for perfection is ever growing and the majority have never encountered it personally. It's the result of an image, video, or figment of their imagination.

We're going to have a lot of lonely people growing old without anyone. They're squandering their time and they'll regret it later on.

Speaking of things that disturb...I heard something kind of disturbing on the radio. I kind of cringed, esp. as a man...didn't know whether to feel sympathy or dread.

It was said that the most dangerous kind of man, is the one that is broke and alone. ( Looks like both have to exist). They didn't get into what kind of dangerous or to what extent. They didn't get into that.

A danger to themselves? A danger to others? Both?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
A danger to themselves? A danger to others? Both?

All of the above. He has nothing to live for (in their opinion). When people are in that place they usually lash out against themselves or others. If you read the psychological profiles of active shooters and mass murderers you'll see overlapping themes.

Loners, extreme isolation, friendless, prone to fantasy/escapism, disgruntled, angry outbursts/violent temper...etc.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am also seeing a lot of memes posted by women how they were victims of a narcassitic husband or boyfriend
All of the above. He has nothing to live for (in their opinion). When people are in that place they usually lash out against themselves or others. If you read the psychological profiles of active shooters and mass murderers you'll see overlapping themes.

Loners, extreme isolation, friendless, prone to fantasy/escapism, disgruntled, angry outbursts/violent temper...etc.

Most often, I've seen countless men complain about online dating, that the countless non-responses, and if there are responses, it's met with flaking when approaching the meeting in person part, should it or if it would ever happen. But it's more fatigue for them. They complain that some women are on these sites more for the attention and validation as opposed to actually meeting in person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am also seeing a lot of memes posted by women how they were victims of a narcassitic husband or boyfriend

I've seen them too but I don't use the term without a clinical diagnosis. It's inflammatory. There's better ways to describe poor behavior without labeling them.

Most often, I've seen countless men complain about online dating, that the countless non-responses, and if there are responses, it's met with flaking when approaching the meeting in person part, should it or if it would ever happen. But it's more fatigue for them. They complain that some women are on these sites more for the attention and validation as opposed to actually meeting in person.

Christian men and women have the same biases like everyone else. They're not going to be more understanding, accommodating, or willing to compromise in the mating stage. They're looking for the best fit and may be more selective because marriage is the goal.

Most people come online looking for something better. They're not after the person they pass on the street unnoticed. They want the one that gets their attention and they're willing to ignore the rest to acquire them.

That's fine if you can get them and you've had the same in the past. But its crazy if you haven't. You're rolling the dice unnecessarily and should be more realistic.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've seen them too but I don't use the term without a clinical diagnosis. It's inflammatory. There's better ways to describe poor behavior without labeling them.

Christian men and women have the same biases like everyone else. They're not going to be more understanding, accommodating, or willing to compromise in the mating stage. They're looking for the best fit and may be more selective because marriage is the goal.

Most people come online looking for something better. They're not after the person they pass on the street unnoticed. They want the one that gets their attention and they're willing to ignore the rest to acquire them.

That's fine if you can get them and you've had the same in the past. But its crazy if you haven't. You're rolling the dice unnecessarily and should be more realistic.

Right and a lot of women aren't being realistic. Another thing that stuck out with Gottlieb, and I thought this before I even knew of her...it's like women, though they like a guy, but they are always thinking they can do better.

She mentioned that dating apps enable this. She goes on a date with a guy, has a great time, and gets home and sees a ton of other notifications and gets distracted....like a kid in a candy store.

It's like "He's great, he's cute, funny,b ut wait...maybe I can go for something better"

Men are pretty simple and typically have very few check boxes as qualifiers to go out on a 2nd date.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
it's like women, though they like a guy, but they are always thinking they can do better.

If they want to spend their lives searching for an ideal that's their choice. We all have free will. Complaining won't change that.

It's like "He's great, he's cute, funny,b ut wait...maybe I can go for something better"

She didn't like him enough to continue. If she did the notifications would be moot.

Men are pretty simple and typically have very few check boxes as qualifiers to go out on a 2nd date.

Men and women are equally diverse. Some are more open minded while mating and others less so. When I corresponded with men I wasn't looking for a date. I was determining if our common denominators warranted meeting. If they didn't I wished him well.

The profile is an ad. It provides an introduction, overview of interests, a snapshot of what you desire in a companion and the life you'll share. It should paint a picture. The discourse is your pitch. You're reinforcing what's stated and discovering common denominators which motivates a meeting or not.

A lot of men reached out who weren't ideal but could be for someone else. I didn't meet them then and wouldn't now. Fit must be solidified before compromise enters the discussion. Because it isn't fixed. You'll bend for some on certain issues (based on their character and fit) and less for others.

It sounds like you're saying 'give us a chance'. But that isn't everyone's approach to dating. Some are more methodical or broach it differently.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you're saying 'give us a chance'. But that isn't everyone's approach to dating. Some are more methodical or broach it differently.

Hm, this may spin off into something else I was thinking of. Like when people try to agree on a venue in which to first meet and/or the WHEN to meet or the logistics of meeting.

For instance, if one is turned off by the venue you had chosen to meet, like for lunch or coffee date (coffee date = he's cheap)

Or, though people believe in meeting sooner than later, people are divided on that someone (typically the woman) would want to wait even longer to meet, where the guy is like, "No I don't want a texting buddy"

I mean, if you cannot even agree on the logistics of meeting for the first date, I guess there are different dating styles? Is that not irrational? At what point can you deem someone's processes unreasonable?

Some are like "Don't judge, you just don't have similar dating styles"...however, I'm not sure I can entirely agree on that...but more like a agree to disagree situation with me.

Where I work, we all have similar senses of humor, kind of on the dark, campy side. Sometimes we poke fun at the people that walk in from the public based on how they act in an indecent fashion or entitled fashion sometimes.

One day, I discussed one of my "humorous" work experiences with a female friend of mine, she immediately saw me as "judgemental" and I thought, "Well, maybe she should grow a sense of humor, yes?"

But the mid-way point is to frame it as, "You just both don't have similar humor styles"...and I'm like "Um....oookay? I guess....styles you call it?"

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
For instance, if one is turned off by the venue you had chosen to meet, like for lunch or coffee date (coffee date = he's cheap)

I choose suitors with a comparable mindset and deportment so things like that are understood and needn't be discussed. When he's ready to meet he'll broach it. We agree on a date and time and that's it. He arranges the venue and we'll have an enjoyable dinner.

I'm like "Um....oookay? I guess....styles you call it?"

Randomness begets experiences like this. It's a mixed bag. But I'm more methodical. The men I engage with are my ideal and I'm theirs too. We're on the same page mentally, socially and usually have similar backgrounds. We have mutual interests, aspirations and a comparable life outlook. They're the ones I date.

I don't bother with the rest. It's too much work. I'm not going to explain or negotiate everything nor should he. It's tiresome.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.